Chapter 11

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 11:

 

“From the tone of your voice over the phone, I thought it was something serious.” Seungri said curtly as he opened the drawer and rummaged through it for a moment before he spotted the box of plasters.

 He picked it up, walked back towards HyunA and placed the box of plasters next to HyunA, who was sitting up on the sofa.

“It is!” HyunA shot Seungri an irate look. “Don’t you know that looks is very important to a celebrity?”

"Hold still." Seungri instructed as he brought the cotton wool soaked in antiseptic solution to HyunA's cheek, cleaning the cut on her face.

HyunA winced before she moved her face away from Seungri.

"God, can’t you be gentler?" HyunA complained. "What if a scar appears on my face?"

Seungri gave HyunA a stern look before he finished securing the small plaster to her cheek.

"If you fear that a scar would appear on your face, why did you pick up a fight with Hara?” Seungri ranted, pulling his hands away. "Seriously, what are the both of you fighting about?”

“She’s the one who started it…” HyunA muttered irritably as she rose from the sofa to place the box of plasters and other medical supplies back to the drawer.

“Anyway,” HyunA said abruptly, having a sudden need to change the subject. “How’s your day at YG Entertainment?”

There was a long silence, during which Seungri did not dare to look at his friend. Images of the way Hyun Seng held his hand, black eyes which were filled with fear and regret and Hyun Seng’s voice suddenly flashed through his mind.

Seungri felt himself lose the last traces of colour from his face. A fist seemed to close on his stomach, and he began to tremble.

“Are you all right, Seungri?” HyunA started to ask worriedly.

Seungri could not answer. His back was slick with cold sweat as his mind was flooded with memories that happened at the old YG building. The way Hyun Seng held his hand, black eyes which were filled with fear and regret and Hyun Seng’s voice kept flashing through his mind.

 “I’m alright.” Seungri whispered almost forcefully, as if trying to convince himself.

HyunA regarded him pensively. “We have been together in Japan for the past fifteen years. Do you think I do not know that something is troubling you?”

 When Seungri tried to look away, HyunA crooked her knuckle against his cheek and bent to find his eyes.

“Seungri, what’s wrong?” she asked, the very picture of earnest concern.

Seungri tried so hard to keep his emotions to himself.  But the gentle concern in the HyunA's voice was his undoing. Before Seungri was even aware, a single fat tear rolled down Seungri's cheek, leaving a cold trail down his face.

“Those things…” Seungri whispered despairingly. “All those memories. I wish they would all disappear.”

HyunA shook her head.

“Idiot.” HyunA said softly as she sat beside Seungri on the sofa, and she was holding him, one arm curled around his shaking shoulders and the other hand gently his hair.

“We told ourselves that we will erase all our bad memories didn’t we? You are not Big Bang’s Seungri anymore. You are CEO of YG Entertainment and Seungri’s academy’s Lee Sung Hyun.”

Seungri nodded tightly before he leaned his head onto HyunA’s shoulder and there was the sound, low and hoarse, of a muffled sob.

“I’m sorry.” Seungri whispered, subjecting himself to HyunA’s fingers running through his hair. “It’s just that coming back here just makes me recall about the past…”

HyunA made no response and continued to his hair as Seungri screwed his eyes shut, trying to close his mind to the nightmarish images and voice that kept flashing through his mind.

 He thought back to the day G Dragon got him a new bracelet, the welcome back party, the days he spent in Café Latte and the days when he was V.I.

As the nightmarish images and voice continues to flash through his mind, Seungri held on to those happy memories he had in the past before he drifted off to sleep and HyunA's fingers continued to comb through his hair.

Only when HyunA heard his breathing even out, indicating he had fallen asleep, HyunA then carefully, very carefully so as not to jostle her sleeping friend, HyunA eased herself out of the sofa and covered Seungri carefully with his jacket.

 Then, HyunA sat down on the floor, looked at Seungri’s sleeping face and she ran her fingers through his hair gently, hoping to provide him with more comfort.

A small smile appeared on her lips as she watched him sleep. If he could stay by her side, like this, she would be happy.

***

Tae Yang felt an uncomfortable fluttering in his belly.

 The silence in the dormitory made him felt rather awkward. Neither G Dragon nor Dae Sung had spoken a word after Sandara informed them on what had happened during the board of directors meeting.

And it was driving him nuts.

Tae Yang watched G Dragon glancing at the clock before taking another shaky gulp of his coffee. It was coming up for ten now and Seungri still hadn't come back to the dormitory.

“Do you think that Seungri would come back to the dormitory?” Dae Sung asked quietly, watching G Dragon from where he sat curled on one of the kitchen chairs.

"He will!" G Dragon said, his voice rising. Dae Sung looked at G Dragon sadly and said nothing.

"He will," G Dragon repeated, more insistently. “Seungri needs to explain why he didn’t choose Big Bang’s come back as his task. That’s the purpose of getting the five of us together isn’t it?”

Tae Yang felt himself nodding against his will. Tae Yang knew that he is the very sole reason why Seungri didn’t choose Big Bang’s come back as his task. But, Tae Yang could not say anything. Not when the atmosphere in the dormitory is that bad.

Even though he also wanted to believe that Seungri would come back to the dormitory, Tae Yang knew that it’s impossible as well.

Tae Yang noticed that Seungri’s room was empty and with the current relationship he had with Seungri right now, Tae Yang knew that the chances of Seungri coming back to the dormitory are as good as zero.

“Come on,” Dae Sung said, clapping Tae Yang on the shoulder. “Let’s go and see your room.”

Tae Yang hesitated, and looked at G Dragon, who shrugged.

“Go on, after all, you have left for fifteen years.” G Dragon said tiredly.

With a nod, Tae Yang forced himself to his feet to follow Dae Sung. But out of the corner of his eye he caught sight of G Dragon sinking down in a chair, resting his elbow on the corner of the table and pressing his fingertips to his temple.

Trying to fool himself into thinking that his friend would be all right, Tae Yang kept walking and entered his room with Dae Sung.

***

His room was unchanged.

Tae Yang's eyes drifted across the room, absorbing the few possessions that he had left behind fifteen years ago. Even his cap, so old that its original colour had faded to an ancient grey, was precisely where he left it, on the study desk.

“If you want, you could stay at TOP hyung’s room.” Dae Sung said as he flinging himself on his bed. “TOP hyung hardly comes back anyway.”

Tae Yang shook his head.

“It’s okay.” Tae Yang said kindly as he turned his face to the starry sky beyond the glass window. “I am very much attached to this room.”

There was a long silence until at last, Tae Yang turned his head to look at Dae Sung.

“Dae Sung, do you think TOP hyung did the right thing by keeping his marriage and son a secret?” Tae Yang asked curiously.

Da Sung wasn't quite certain how to respond, so he said the first thing that sprung to mind as he rolled onto his stomach and propping his head up with his hands.

 “Actually, I don’t see anything right or wrong in this.” Dae Sung said, meek and noncommittal. “TOP Hyung have always been a private person. It’s his choice after all.”

Tae Yang looked at Dae Sung, his face impassive. “TOP hyung is a celebrity. Do you have any idea what the consequences are when news about him being married and a son be reported in the media? His fame…”

"Tae Yang hyung," Dae Sung interrupted patiently. “Did you forget how rude those fans were when pictures of TOP hyung and his ex-girlfriend were going around online?”

Tae Yang nodded in response as he felt himself burning with shame at his ignorance. It had never even occurred to him that TOP was protecting the people he loves by keeping his marriage and son a secret. Tae Yang had assumed that TOP was trying to protect his fame by making the fans think that he is still single just like some celebrities he had known in the past.

“I…I..I see,” Tae Yang stammered, hanging his head.

They lapsed into good-natured silence for a while until Dae Sung rolled onto his back on his bed and interlacing his fingers behind his head.

“Tae Yang hyung,” Dae Sung asked, a tremor in his voice. “Are you upset at Seungri’s decision?

Dae Sung hesitated a moment before adding. “Actually, I could understand how G Dragon hyung was feeling right now. G Dragon hyung had always hoped that Big Bang would be together one day. The same applies to me as well.”

Tae Yang remained silent, unsure what he could say.

Then Tae Yang to his right side on his bed to look at the starry sky beyond the glass window. But though he lay awake until the clock in his room struck one, he still did not hear Seungri come into the dormitory.


**All credits on the details of TOP talking about his ex-girlfriend goes to MBC come to play**