Chapter 35

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 35

One of the disadvantages of YG Entertainment being a public listed company is that President YG can no longer make decisions autonomously. Even if President YG is a major shareholder, the minority shareholders have a say in how the company is managed.

What will happen to 2NE1 after news of Minzy leaving the group is one of them.

And that was how Seungri and CL flew from America to Korea just from one phone call back to YG Entertainment’s meeting room. Whereas for Tae Yang, he’s probably somewhere in the building with the rest of the 2NE1 members.

Feeling the jetlag settling in, Seungri tried sitting up straight, leaning forward, and keeping his eyes wide and attentive as he could.

Seungri let his eyes wander around. The meeting room is packed with board of directors and management staffs, listening to every single exchange of words President YG and one of the board of directors were saying.

At the table across, Seungri spotted Sean from Jinusean. He was staring at Seungri, his worried gaze never wavering. Seungri didn't like that look. It’s as if something dreadful is going to happen.

Bringing his attention to the front, Seungri noticed President YG and recognised the man sitting beside President YG. That man is President YG’s brother, Yang Min-suk. Seungri noted that Yang Min-suk was not present during the very first meeting he had due to other work commitments.

The very fact that President YG’s brother, whom is also one of the major key people of YG entertainment is present in this meeting showed how severe the situation on 2NE1 is.

"The problem, President YG," The Japanese director said loudly, his small black eyes glaring down at President YG. “Do you even think 2NE1 could still exist after Minzy have left?”

President YG cleared his throat.

"There are K POP groups that survived even after one of their members left the group. I hope that you and the rest of the directors could give the group…”

“President YG, I believe that you have forgotten that you have a mentally unstable member in that group.” The Japanese director interrupted.

"You're telling me that 2NE1 should disband because of Park Bom ?!" President YG asked, the volume of his voice rising higher and higher with each word.

“To be honest, do you think that a conservative country like Korea would accept Park Bom after knowing about her mental situation and that drug scandal of hers?” The Japanese director said briskly, his small black eyes flickering with annoyance.

Several people were nodding with the Japanese director. Seungri sat silently, watching the exchange nervously. President YG looked exhausted. Managing the company and 2NE1’s current situation is evidentially taking a toll on his old body.

Out of the corner of his eye, Seungri noticed there were a series of emotions passing through CL's facial expressions ranging from fear, sadness, shock, anger and much more.

Seungri dropped his gaze from CL and felt the pang of guilt surge through him. He had never felt so helpless. There was nothing he could do to help both President YG and 2NE1.

Nothing at all.

Sean spoke up for the first time in the meeting.

"While your reasoning is appreciated, I hope that you could recognize Park Bom’s and 2NE1’s contribution to the company for all these years and give them 1 more chance….”

Raising a hand to stop Sean’s flow of words, Yang Min-suk‘s voice of reason silenced the murmur of dissent rippling through the room.

“Sean, I understand what you are trying to say. But, as one of the major shareholder of YG Entertainment, I have to remind you that YG Entertainment is an entertainment business company. Not a charity organization.” said Yang Min-suk thoughtfully. He was silent for a few moments.

“Empathy shouldn’t affect how we manage and run the business. We should go through the proper steps and make a rational decision.”

Turning his attention to the board of directors, Yang Min-suk continued.

“I do agree with the board of directors that it is meaningless to keep 2NE1 running as a group since minzy have decided to leave. In addition, I do agree on the concern about how the public would feel about Park Bom.”

“I have a suggestion,” Yang Min-suk seemed to consider this carefully, briefly studying everybody’s expressions.

“Minzy have been one of the main vocals in 2NE1. Since Minzy have left, let’s give the remaining members 3 months to see whether 2NE1 could still survive with only three members.

 At the same time, we shall publish news of Minzy leaving the group and 2NE1 continuing with only three members to test the public reactions. From there, we shall determine whether it is a wise decision to disband 2NE1.”

With that, the murmur of dissent slowly turned to murmurs of agreement.

“I see that everyone is satisfied with this arrangement.” Yang Min-suk said when no objections were forthcoming. “Let’s continue to the next topic of the meeting…”

The meeting continued but Seungri could no longer pay attention to the remaining topics of the meeting. Instead, Seungri was focusing on CL.

CL's head was bowed but she was not crying. There was no fear in her face, only resignation.

For a moment, Seungri just watched CL, unsure how he could console her. He hadn't thought of anything particularly inspiring to say.

Instead, Seungri held her hand, in a reassuring way. CL turned to look at Seungri instantly.

Seungri gave her a weak smile and she returned it.

“Everything will be alright.” whispered Seungri.

Pain lanced through CL's eyes.

She nodded sombrely.

“I hope so.”


Roan_89 would like to wish every single readers out there a happy lunar new year. =)