Chapter 12:

Big Bang II: The big four

NOTE:

This is just a fanfiction and certain situations that happens in real life could change as the story progresses. The author sincerely apologizes if the following content offends.

 


Chapter 12:

 

The sun had risen and the only sound that could be heard in the room was the soft classic music playing from a music player in the distance.

Seungri opened his eyes slowly, adjusting to the sunlight that that filtered through the windows while he looked around and started to panic as his surroundings were unfamiliar.

Not even realizing where he was, Seungri pushed himself up until he was sitting on the sofa.

Wait, why is he sleeping on a sofa instead of a bed in the hotel?

Noticing HyunA sitting at the dining table and reading the newspaper, it took Seungri a moment or two to remember what had happened and how he had ended up here.

With a soft smile on Seungri’s lips, he approached the dining table with quiet steps and pulled out the chair only just far enough to allow himself to slip onto it.

Hearing movements, HyunA looked away from the newspaper, pushed it away and her face lit up as she looked at Seungri.

"Good morning Seungri!” HyunA said merrily before she stood up. “If you'll just give me ten minutes I'll fix you some breakfast. What would you like? Ramen? French toast?”

Seungri smiled at the question, remembering the days both of them used to spend breakfast together in Japan as he tucked his feet up beneath him and put his chin in his hands, looking at HyunA.

“Whatever is easiest,” Seungri said casually before he glanced at the front page of the newspaper until the title caught his attention while HyunA busied herself in front of the stove.

“JYJ States “CJeS Is Nothing More Than An Agency” ”

Seungri reached for the paper unthinkingly, as he read.

JYJ’s side has retaliated against SM’s exclusive contract suspension and album sales prohibition injunction that was filed to the Seoul District Courts on the 8th against JYJ’s worldwide album ‘The Beginning’.

SM accused the members of JYJ, Kim Jaejoong, Park Yoochun and Kim Junsu, of signing onto an exclusive contract with CJeS Entertainment even though their exclusive contract with SM has not ended yet.

Following this, the Korean Federation of Pop Culture and Arts Industry released an official notice to all broadcasting companies, label companies and online music distribution companies asking them to refrain from aiding JYJ in any way for the same reasons.

JYJ had a partial victory from their exclusive contract suspension injunction against SM Entertainment, but as their contract with the entertainment agency has not been ended yet, they would be in an illegal dual contract if they have signed an exclusive contract with CJeS Entertainment.

“It’s sad, isn’t it?” HyunA commented while she placed a plate of French toast on the table. “Back then, TVXQ was so cool and talented that it was frightening. To see them from that high point to the current situation that they’re in is really sad. At that time I would’ve never imagined that this would’ve occurred.”

“Yeah…” Seungri said, nodding solemnly before taking a bite of the French toast. “Based on what I know, this entire thing starts from a 13 year slave contract which gave them almost none of the profits from their success.”

“It can’t be help though,” HyunA said dismissively as she took a piece of French toast on the plate. “K-Pop is expensive to produce. Groups are highly manufactured, and can require a team of managers, choreographers and wardrobe assistants, as well as years of singing lessons, dance training, accommodation and living expenses. After the company recoups its costs, there is sometimes little left for us, celebrities.”

Seungri nodded, agreeing with what HyunA said.

 "Let’s just hope that the current rising success of K-Pop abroad, and experience with foreign music companies could help change this slave contracts that happen in most entertainment companies as time goes.” Seungri said quietly before he finished the last piece of French toast on the plate.

"Slave contract or not," HyunA said, not at all satisfied with Seungri’s answer. “In my opinion, I feel that JYJ are doing a grave injustice and showing ingratitude to SM Entertainment who spent so much effort and money for them to become celebrities by joining another company.”

At that moment, Seungri felt that there was something behind HyunA’s words, something that Seungri didn't understand. But Seungri didn't dwell on it. He didn't want to.

"No matter what, from what I see, both JYJ and SM Entertainment are at the losing end. I heard that SM’s stocks are dropping because of this incident.” Seungri said staunchly as he glanced at the clock on the wall. “I daresay that I am going to be late for work. Thanks for the breakfast!”

It wasn't until Seungri walked towards the sofa, reaching for his jacket that HyunA then remembered that the environment in CUBE Entertainment is far different from YG Entertainment. Unlike YG Entertainment which showed a family like environment, CUBE Entertainment showed that reality was cold. It was painful. It was real.

The thought of knowing that Doo Joon is planning something and the things he could do made went dry.

 “Seungri, are you still staying in a hotel?” HyunA called out behind him.

“Yeah,” Seungri replied, twisted at the waist to look at his friend and curling his arm around his jacket and holding it to his chest. “Why? Did you manage to find a place I could stay instead of a hotel?”

"Hmmm, if you don’t mind, you could stay at my place." HyunA suggested, causing bewilderment to wash over Seungri’s features.

“I just thought that it could be nice if we could spend our days like in Japan, having breakfast together and it’s rather lonely staying in a large house by myself.” HyunA explained while she fiddled with a strand of hair.

Seungri knew that the innocent question was purely for his benefit judging by how he broke down in front of her yesterday. For some inexplicable reason, he felt a flicker of shame for breaking down in front of HyunA.

"Thanks, HyunA," Seungri hesitated, but the corners of his lips twitched in a faint smile. “But, I have to remind you that you are still a celebrity. I believe that you knew what the consequences are if the paparazzi knew about it, don’t you?”

HyunA rolled her eyes, but Seungri was looking at her plaintively.

“Since when did I have a good reputation in the entertainment industry?” HyunA chuckled ruefully. “I have heard so many nasty remarks about me that I’m immune to them already.”

Feeling appalled by what HyunA said, Seungri thought for a moment, determined to end the conversation on a hopeful note, regardless of how dire it seemed.

When HyunA saw Seungri hesitate, HyunA hurried on. “You could just give me a sum of money as rent if you feel bad about it.”

Seungri looked unconvinced, but the faintest of smiles crossed his lips. "You're not going to drop this are you?"

"Not until you say yes," HyunA wheedled. "Don't waste your time rejecting me, Seungri. We are friends, remember?"

The slight smile that had wilted on Seungri’s face before now sprung back with new life.

"I remember."


Credits of TVXQ/JYJ news goes to Today Korea.