Chapter 10:

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 10:

 

A few months, it was clear to TOP that sending his son to a preschool had been a disastrous decision. TOP knew this would happen. The constant chasings by the paparazzi had forced Tempo to switch schools numerous of times.

Due to the switching of schools, Tempo had been picked upon by the other children, often coming home with bruises or scratches which were not the usual playground hurts.

As time passed, and Tempo did not come home bruised anymore, TOP thought that perhaps Tempo may be settling down. But it was when Sandara told him that the school called, TOP knew he is going to undergo the same ritual again.

His fears were confirmed when the teacher told him, that she had no problem with Tempo, even though Tempo behaved a little mischievous at times, yet it was not about Tempo’s behaviour that the teacher wanted to talk about.

“He was bullied at first, Mr Choi, you know… some of the larger kids. But we managed to put a stop to that. He is still teased sometimes, but what worries me is the presence of the paparazzi.” She paused, as if wondering what to say next.

“The presences of the paparazzi have caused fear among the children and the dislike among the parents…” There was a frown on her forehead, and she spoke almost apologetically.

TOP sighed. He was glad that Seungri had chosen managing the future of YG Entertainment as his task instead of Big Bang’s come back.

TOP thought for a moment about whether or not to get Tempo home schooled instead. That’s the only solution he could think of. Within his ability, TOP decided that he would provide all the needed information his son needs until Tempo is older or maybe when his mother comes back to Korea to fight for the custody of Tempo.

***

TOP had not raised Tempo to be an exceptionally devout churchgoer, but evening prayers were among the devotions he insisted upon. Under the influence of Dae Sung, TOP saw the value in giving thanks for what GOD had provided to them. Tempo had been taught of this aspect since he was born.

Clasping his hands in front of him on the table in the classroom, Tempo tried to close his eyes in reverence. This, however, proved distracting, and he soon found he had opened his eyes to gaze out of the window beside him, which opened out onto the playground. His eyes found the evening heavens, the location to which he directed all of his prayers.

"Dear God," he began, reciting his usual litany, "please bless uncle Dae Sung, uncle G Dragon and the rest of the YG family. Bless my family and my friends and look after them, and please bless me and help me to be a good boy."

It was here that Tempo would pause each evening, think for a moment, and strike out on his own. This evening was no exception. Hidden behind the door in the hallway, TOP leaned in closer to hear what his son would say this evening.

“Hello, mum. Today was a sunny day and I had fun at the playground. But, the teachers have to bring me inside the classroom after a while because of the paparazzi. Do the paparazzi bother you as well?”

"Mum, I don't want you to worry, but I am okay with the paparazzi because I have daddy. Even though, I wished that daddy and I could have more freedom sometimes…”

"Mum, I don't know if you remember, but my birthday is coming soon, next week. I really wish you could come. Auntie Park Bom and auntie Sandara are planning to cook a big dinner and they said that I can have whatever I want, even ice cream. We're having company, too, and I'm making party hats for everyone. I'm going have a chocolate cake with vanilla icing.”

Tempo paused for a second, and TOP, desperately torn between his desire to hear the rest and the pain it caused him, lowered himself to his knees to listen behind the ajar door.

"Uncle Dae Sung asked me what I want for a present and I really don't know what to say. What should I ask for?" Tempo seemed to wait a few seconds for a reply, but soon continued. "I saw a lot of really cool stuff whenever dad drove the car along the streets of Seoul. I saw gundam models, kites and game consoles. I couldn't decide."

He paused again, and when he next spoke, it sounded as though his honesty embarrassed him.

"Do you believe your wish comes true when you close your eyes and blow out the candles, Mum? I keep on wishing the same thing every birthday, but it hasn't come true yet. Why won't my wish come true? Is it impossible?"

At this point, Tempo looked surreptitiously to the left, then to the right, as though checking for eavesdroppers. He lowered his voice until it was barely more than a whisper.

"Mom," he breathed, "Auntie Park Bom tells me that if I tell a wish, it won't come true, but if I tell you my birthday wish, do you think maybe you could work on it for me? I wish…"

TOP held his breath in anticipation.

"…I wish that mum, you would come home. It's so lonely without you. I want to know if you can roll your tongue like a straw, like I can. I also wanted to know whether you are left handed like me as well. Do you think you could maybe try? My party starts at 7 o'clock, so don't be late."

Without warning, Tempo switched back to his brisk, rehearsed tone. It was unsettling.

"…And God bless my Mum and Dad, and watch over them forever. Amen."

Crouched on the other side of the ajar door, tears cascaded down his cheeks as the words of his son's prayer echoed in his numb brain.

Wiping the tears with the back of his hand, TOP pushed the door wider and peeked in.

“Tempo, how’s school today?” TOP asked with a laugh.

“Daddy!” Tempo yelled happily and ran towards TOP and TOP hugged him tightly, forcing down the lump in his own throat.

Finally, they broke apart and TOP was silent for a moment as he struggled to compose himself.

“Tempo.” TOP said quietly, placing a hand under his son's chin and gently lifting his head until their eyes met. “There's something you must know…”

Tempo looked at his father, knowing what his father is going to tell him. Tempo knew already, of course, but if it comforted his father to think that he had not heard what the teacher had said to his father few minutes ago, he could hold his tongue.

"I am going to pull you out of school." TOP said, running his fingers gently through the boy's hair.

"Because of the paparazzi," Tempo added sadly.

TOP nodded tightly.

“Are you going to look for another school?” Tempo asked pitifully.

TOP’s heart just about broke at the distress in his son's voice. All he wanted was his son to grow up normally like a normal kid without the limelight due to the fact that he is his son. But, such a simple wish just seems so far to him.

“No, we are not going to look for another school this time.” TOP said softly. “We are going home schooling this time.”

“Home school?” Tempo asked curiously. “That means there won’t be any kids around my age to play with?”

"Yes," TOP told him, pulling him into an embrace. "I’m sorry."

Tempo nodded, leaning into his father's shoulder.

"Are we going to be okay?" Tempo asked hopefully.

“I know things are a mess, but it will get better. Everything will be okay. It might not seem like it, but it will be. Really." TOP said his voice tight with exertion.

TOP didn't know if those were the right words to say. He didn't know if there were any right words to say. But he did know that he wanted Tempo to know that he was loved.  Perhaps there was a ticking clock on their time together before his mother comes back to Korea to fight for the custody.

Regardless of the outcome, TOP determined to spend every single second with Tempo.

And for the rest of the time, both father and son stood there in an embrace and neither said a word as TOP cherished the little time he had with his son.


Because most of the dramas I watched, it showed a side story of the non major characters. So, I thought I should follow as well.

Actually, I did thought of writing a happier side story. But, I don't think it suits the atmosphere over here.

Do subscribe and comment. ^_^