Chapter 20:

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 20:

 

Tempo ran clumsily along the walkway, tears trailing down his face. He ignored the surprised trainees and staff as he increased his pace, various thoughts kept racing in his mind. He had to know the truth. He had to confirm with his father that his mother had not left them for another man. He had to know that his mother do love him.

His vision kept on blurring, but no matter how he swiped the tears away, they kept on coming as Tempo wished he would wake up and this would be just a dream that he had not found out who his mother was and why she left him and his father.

Tempo reached his destination a lot sooner than he had anticipated. He stood a few steps away from the oak door, where his father was, catching his breath.

Just as Tempo was about to walk towards the oak door, the sound of a door opening stopped him.

The oak door had opened and a dark haired man walked out, followed by TOP, both still deep in conversation with each other. The man nodded his head and looked at TOP, seemingly agreeing with him. TOP offered a hand which the man took, just for a second, before moving away from him.

Just as TOP turned and went back into the room, wearing a smile, TOP stared in stunned surprise at his son, standing a few steps away from him.

“Tempo?" TOP's voice carried over to Tempo and he felt his heart miss several beats.

"What are you doing here? Is something wrong?" TOP asked, his eyes lingering on Tempo's face, seeking out any signs that his son was bullied.

Tempo didn't answer, he was afraid if he opened his mouth, he would end up crying harder. He tried to stop the tears from falling, willed the lump at the back of his throat to go away but he ended up only feeling worse. Everything he had seen and learned in the past few minutes came back at him and Tempo couldn't take it any longer. Tears streamed down his face as he stood with his fists clenched hard and his jaw clenched harder.

Feeling perplexed at Tempo’s behaviour, TOP couldn't take it any longer, he pulled Tempo into his embrace, and the sight of his son in tears was making his heart ache.

TOP hugged his son tightly as Tempo let himself go and lost himself in the sensation of the embrace. Tempo dropped his head onto TOP’s shoulder, face hidden in his shirt, tears seeping into his father’s clothes.

"Tempo, what's wrong? Did someone bully you?" TOP looking worriedly at Tempo as he slowly led his son inside the room.

Tempo shook his head a little. He didn't want to say anything. He didn't want to say why he had rushed up here. He wanted to forget what he had learned, forget the truth and keep on pretending that everything was normal.

The next hour was a merciful blur. TOP had been cooing reassurances until Tempo calmed down, and then Tempo found himself on the sofa, as he told his father about his first rap performance. Then he told how he managed to find out who his mother was and why his mother left them.

"Daddy, are you upset?" Tempo asked pitifully.

TOP's heart just about broke at the distress in his son's voice. He was upset, but he knew Tempo would be all the more upset if he told him so. He decided to dodge the question and hope the ruse would be successful.

TOP pushed his chair back and sat on the edge of the sofa next to Tempo. TOP hugged Tempo tightly, kissing the top of his head.

 “Tempo,” TOP said. “There's something you must know. Your mother has always loved you as much as any mother ever loved her child.”

"But, she left…" Tempo replied tearfully.

TOP felt tears stinging his own eyes, threatening to spill over. He swallowed past the lump in his throat. "Yes, she did."

Tempo buried his head in TOP’s chest and sobbed. "I don't want Mummy to leave," he wailed.

TOP closed his eyes, trying to decide how to explain this to his child. He resisted the urge to fall back on his old standby, sensing that Tempo needed more of an answer than that today. Tempo had never really asked about his mother before.

“Listen, Tempo, I can assure you that your mother did not leave us because of another person." TOP took Tempo's hands in his own, gently intertwining their fingers. “When two people very in love with each other stay together for a very long time, there are times when they realised that they actually do not suit each other in terms of personality for example.”

Tempo nodded as though he understood, even though TOP was sure he had gone way over the child's head.

Tempo thought about that for a moment before asking, putting a finger to his lips. "Daddy, if I pray hard enough, do you think mummy would come back?”

TOP was caught off guard by the sudden change in subject.

TOP smiled reluctantly at the thought of Shin Min Ah coming back. Somehow, TOP just couldn't see it happening. Knowing her personality, there’s no way that would happen except for a very high possibility of her coming back just to fight over Tempo’s custody with him.

There was a startled silence before TOP took a deep breath. "Yes, I think she will."

Tempo nodded before he crouched down, clasping his hands in front of him on the table in the room.

"Dear God," he began, reciting his usual litany, "Please bless Uncle Dae Sung, uncle G Dragon and the rest of the YG family. Bless my family and my friends and look after them, and please bless me and help me to be a good boy."

Tempo paused for a second as he held his breath in anticipation. “Dear God, I have another request. Could you ask my mother to come back?”

It was only by a great amount of effort that TOP kept his emotions to himself as he continued to listen to Tempo’s prayer.

"Ready to go, Tempo?" TOP asked. “Daddy needs to help Uncle Seungri on something.”

"Yeah!" Tempo replied cheerfully before holding onto TOP’s hand as they left the room.

 As TOP turned off the light, he noticed the sunlight streaming through the window, falling on the poster of Big Bang. A familiar sense of peace enveloped him, and he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was probably telling him that everything is going to be fine.

"Dear God, if you can hear me, watch over Tempo and let him know, somehow, how much his mother loves him as well…" TOP whispered.

"Come on, Daddy!" Tempo called, tugging on TOP’s hand.

"I'm coming." TOP picked Tempo up and kissed him, settling the child on his back. Tempo wrapped his arms around TOP’s neck, giggling as TOP bounded with him down the stairs and out the door.


The reason why I couldn't resist puttin shin min ah as TOP's wife:

 

 

Lastly, support Dae Sung's solo album, D'scover