Chapter 6: Phone Fiasco

Chasing Deer Yoona

 

She was so exhausted that she was almost to the point of tears. Waking up each morning at 4:00 a.m. in order to be at the studio was taking its toll on her. For weeks now she had been working on this drama set, but it seemed that because of a few holidays and weekends in between it had not seemed so hard.

But now two weeks had passed since her last day off. From the time she awoke until the time her manager brought her home after 11:00 p.m., she worked. Even her sister members felt sorry for her. They would often slip a note in her purse or pack energy drinks for her. She loved the thoughtful text messages she received from them, cheering her on.

However it was the voicemail messages from her newest friend, Taecyeon of 2PM that really surprised her. It wasn't like she had never received voicemails before, but it was not often. Usually her friends and family would suffice with text messages. But in the past two weeks she received three voicemail messages from him, encouraging her to keep working hard, and even playing a song in one, which brought a smile to her lips.

"Yoona, are you working hard? Are you giving it your all? Do you feel tired? If you do, I want you to take a deep breath and remember all those ahjummas and ahjusshis that watch you on TV twice a week. It's hard right? But just remember that they are your fans, and are cheering you on, just like me."

The first message was so gentle, and yet it motivated her to try harder at her craft.

The second message was more personal, and she smiled as she heard his deep voice speak to her softly, "How's my favorite actress? Has she eaten properly today? Is she taking the time to eat all her meals? Is it hard being around all those older Sunbae, Yoona? Do you wish Oppa was there to give you another ? No? Ok how about just a song to remember me by?

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher
Come on baby, light my fire
Come on baby, light my fire
"

Her smiled widened as he continued, "I know, bad right? But at least I made you smile, so it's all good. I know you can't call me back because of work, and that's ok. I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about my favorite nut. She made me laugh so hard when I played with her in the Café. Ah, but she's not around lately so I miss her. When do you think I'll see her again?"

A short pause made her heart beat faster.

"Tell Tiffany to call me because I can't bear to be without her."

Yoona left out a laugh as the manly voice chided her, "Just kidding! But all joking aside, I hope we can meet up again soon. I miss your laugh."

She shook her head at message that had come several days after the first. She didn't have a chance to call him back yet, because they had increased the filming pace since there were some legal issues going on with her lead actor. He needed to be away from the set in the coming weeks, so they were trying to squeeze in the filming in sooner than was originally scheduled.

Sang Woo sunbae was 14 years older than her, and had much more acting experience. Even though he was her senior, he was patient with her, and didn't complain when she messed up or forgot her lines. He treated her with respect, but she was not included in his inner circle either. He was much closer with the staff and PD than she was, and often they went out drinking after filming late into the evening. Yoona could barely keep her eyes open when it got that late, and he about being too young to drink with them.

As she headed to her dressing room, she felt the pain in her lower back. Her back often ached when she danced for hours and hours but today she spent the entire day standing, walking and running in heels.

She groaned as she rubbed the lower back and she stopped walking and kicked off the heels and bent over to pick them up. She stretched her back in an arch as she stood up after retrieving the heels from the ground.

His voice floated into her mind as she recalled the third voicemail, "Usually I would take this has a big hint, and stop calling. I am starting to feel like I'm being ignored. But Tiffany told me about your schedule. Yoona, wherever you are right now, close your eyes and repeat after me: 'I am strong. I am invincible. I am Im Yoona, one of a kind.' Did you do it? You didn't right? Bad girl! What am I going to do with you? Anyways, I just want you to know that your biggest fan is cheering you on! Yoona, Fighting! Now call me so I can stop worrying about you!"

She closed her eyes, and as she winced at the low ache in her back and sore feet, she whispered, "I am strong. I am invincible…" then she chuckled as she opened her eyes and continued forward to her dressing room, "I am Im Yoona, one of a kind!"

She melted into the couch in her dressing room and barely rose her head up at the soft knocking on door. Her manager popped his head in and smiled, "How's my girl doing?"

"So tired!" she said, keeping her eyes closed.

"I brought you next week's script." She nodded without looking at him and pointed to the dressing table. "Just put it there for now."

"You should read it tonight. I know you're tired, but,"

"Oppa I can't open my eyes! And my back hurts!"

"You'll want to read it," he said again.

When she didn't respond he decided on a change of topic, "Did you see your present yet?"

Again, she didn't respond because she felt herself drifting off to a much overdue sleep.

"Looks like he even might have left you a note."

No response. The pain slowly started to ease up as she felt herself float to a better place.

"I'm surprised he dropped them by himself."

Somewhere in the back of her mind she heard that. Someone had dropped by? Who knew about her filming studio location? This wasn't just any fan. This was someone she knew. Some one… had left her a note. She fought off the drowsy wave that was pulling her back into a daze, and painfully opened her eyes a tad.

"Who?"

Her manager shrugged as he pointed to a small plastic covered bowl that had pink plastic wrap around it. On top was one of her very own cell phones. She never took her phones with her into the studio, for fear that she'd forget to turn it off. She made it a habit to leave it in the dressing room during filming.

Now curiosity had given her an extra surge of energy that she didn't have before.

Immediately after eyeing the bowl, her stomach growled, almost intuitively. She knew it had food inside, should could tell!

She somehow found the strength to slowly sit up and reach out. Her manager laughed at her effort, and spoiled her by walking across the room for the bowl and phone. He knew how utterly beat she was, and this was the least he could do for her.

She reached for the phone first and read a text message, "What am I supposed to do when you aren't around to play with me? I want you by my side. Oppa T."

She smiled as she saw the familiar name. Oppa T was how Teukkie always signed off his texts to her. It was her big brother that came by and dropped off this present … what was it? She quickly tore away the plastic wrap and popped open the bowl, and saw the rice balls and small spicy sausages that he had cut up. Teukkie. Her strength slowly began to fill her from the toes up.

As she devoured the meal she grinned at his text. She should call him back and thank him for coming by, even though he knew he wouldn't be able to see her. He brought her a snack, and always seemed to be watching out for her.

As she began to feel life flowing back into her body while eating she noticed something different about her phone screen. She raised it up to look at it while continuing to munch away at her meal.

"What the?" she mumbled to herself as she noticed the screen was no longer in Korean but in English!

She rolled her eyes and groaned. TEUKKIE! Even though he had texted her in Korean, he had somehow managed to go into her configuration settings on her phone and change the default to English instead of Korean. Now the entire menu and applications all read in English.

Typical Teukkie prank on her!

At least the little icon buttons were the same, no matter what language, but still! She noticed he had taken the time to move her applications around from screen to screen. Nothing was where it was supposed to be! It would take more brain cells than she had working right now to figure this out, with a new wave of exhaustion setting back in after she finished eating.

Maybe she would just wait until the morning to do it. Then she remembered that she wanted to call Taecyeon Oppa back and thank him for the messages.

Her manager carried her purse and helped her up from the couch and they headed to the van as she punched buttons, trying to pull up her contact list in the dark.

Just as she got to the list, the phone rang, and she noticed it was from the SuJu dorm fax line. She had phone numbers for many of the members, including the two fax machines in their dorm. Who would be calling from the fax line? Obviously Teukkie wasn't done playing a joke on her!

As she got into the back of the van and sprawled out on the back seat, she answered, "Oppa, what did you do to my phone! I'm so tired and I don't have the strength to fix it!"

"Oppa didn't do anything to your phone, at least not this Oppa!"

It wasn't Teukkie. It was Yesunggie! What a pleasant surprise!

"But why are you calling me from the fax line Oppa?"

"Because our precious Teukkie took my phones away from me. Do you know where he is right now?"

"What? Why did he take your phones away?"

"Why does Teukkie do half the things he does? Because he's a big kid!"

"Wait until you hear what he did to my phone!"

Just as she began to giggle at both of their combined frustration with their older brother, the phone beeped.

"Oppa, hang on a second, I have an incoming call."

Yoona fumbled with the screen trying to place Yesung on hold while she picked up the next call. Caller ID was blocked, but she had a feeling it was going to be the culprit prankster.

Finally she clicked on a button that connected her.

"Oppa, I know that's you! You're killing me here! You have to come over tonight and fix this!"

She heard an intake of breath, and then a much deeper than expected voice replied, "I'm on my way, but I had no idea that I had that kind of impact on you… so you missed me too?"

Now it was Yoona's turn to gasp!

"TeacYeon Oppa?"

"I should hope so," he chuckled, "At least last I checked. Now who were you expecting? Who's killing you besides me? Which one of the dwarfs is playing with you this late at night?"

Before she could answer he added, "You must be busy right now. I can call back later…" his voice softened.

"Wait!" she called out to him.

Her mind raced as she thought quickly how to explain things to him, but fatigue had already weighed her down and she wasn't able to react quickly enough.

He knew he shouldn't but he took a risk, "Do you want me to come over and see you, Yoona?" He added, "We could go for a drive, or just talk. It's been two weeks…"

She was so tempted to say YES, but she knew how late it was, and she had another early cast call back at the studio the following morning.

When she didn't answer him, he thought of a thousand things to say at once, comments flew into his mind about how much he missed her, how badly he wanted to see her and have her rest her head on his shoulder and tell him about her day, and how he had intended on calling her to leave her another motivational message. He hadn't expected her to actually answer her phone this late. But she did. Yet she hadn't been expecting it to be him, she was looking for one of them. Again. Them. And now he was probably sounding desperate to her.

The pause was then broken by a voice that surprised both of them, "Yoona, why does Ok Taecyeon have your phone number? And why is he talking to you informally like this?"

Yesung's voice was stern and he had put a sarcastic emphasis on Taecyeon's name. Much more stern than she'd ever heard him speak to her before. Wait… why was Yesung on their call?

All she could do was look dumbly at her iPhone while clapping her hand over to stifle a scream. The illuminated screen stared back at her with nothing but English words. She groaned and closed her eyes as she realized that she must have merged the two calls instead of putting Yesung Oppa on hold.

"Who's that?" Taecyeon sounded a bit perturbed.

"What's it to you? Who the hell are you to ask Yoona to go out and so late at night too!"

She wanted to make it stop. She wanted to throw the phone down and pretend this didn't just happen.

Taecyeon did not back down, "Look, Dwarf #1, #2 or #13, it doesn't really matter to me, but Yoona and I were having a private conversation, and I have no idea how you butted in, but you can right out."

"Yah!" Yesung raised his voice, "How about you come over here and let me fix something for you! Like that mouth of yours!"

"Yesunggie Oppa, I'm sorry, but Teukkie Oppa changed my phone to be in English, and I merged our calls. I'm sorry," she repeated.

She was apologizing to him! Why? Now Taecyeon felt something flare up inside. He could hear it in her voice, she had lost all of her vigor. Instead of having a private conversation it had turned into something she had to justify to them. That's the last thing he wanted to do to her.

"It's time for you to say goodbye, Ok Taecyeon." Yesung warned. After a few seconds of silence he added, "Yoona, Oppa is headed over now."

"Oppa, it's ok, it's late. I'm not even at the dorm yet. We are just leaving the studio."

"Exactly," added Taecyeon, "Too late for you, Yesung."

"Taecyeon Oppa," Yoona sighed. She was sounding distraught now. He didn't like it.

"Yoona, I'll come over. You don't need them, it's ok."

"Are you crazy!" Yesung's voice even got louder, "Didn't you hear me? HANG UP NOW!"

Yoona rubbed her temple as she tried to muster any remaining energy she had, "Oppas, please! I just want to go to bed."

Taecyeon could not resist, he had been pushed to a boiling point, "That's fine with me Yoona, I can tuck you in."

"You're dead!" Yesung actually yelled into the phone. "DEAD! You just wait! Yoona, Oppa is hanging up now, because I'm on this damn fax line. I'll be over in 15 minutes."

"Yesunggie Oppa," she pleaded, but it was too late, she had heard the click with a slam of the receiver.

"Why?" she asked Taecyeon. "Why did you do that? You provoked him."

"Because they don't own you, Yoona." He was frustrated at the turn of events, and yet at the same time pleased with himself for pushing Yesung to the point of racing out his dorm. He would have chuckled but he could tell she wasn't in the mood.

"I think I should go," she sighed.

"So does that mean I can't tuck you in?"

She clicked the red bar that she knew would disconnect the call. This young man could be so frustrating! She half worried that he would actually come to her dorm as well, and thought maybe she should call someone else to keep him from coming.

Her mind raced from Taecyeon to Yesung. Omo! Yesung Oppa now knew! She dreaded facing him. She knew he would scold her for being on such terms with Ok Taecyeon, and even worse, he would tell each one of the Super Junior brothers she was closest to. Suddenly the blood drained from her face. Dong Hae. Teukkie. Siwonnie. Ryeowookie. And Yesung! The only other man that she was closer to then these was her own father.

Omo! Her head filled with thoughts of their disapproval and she wondered how long it would take Yesung to contact the others. Thank goodness Teukkie had taken his phones away!

"Everything ok?" her manager asked.

"How fast can you get me to the dorm?" she replied. "It has to be faster than 15 minutes!"