Chapter 13: North Star

Chasing Deer Yoona

 

"Stop!" yelled the PD, ""This just isn't working."

He paced the wooden floor of the practice room and looked back at the reflections of the two young people. They were flawless in their appearance, quite beautiful to look at, but for some reason this theme was not working. He needed to add something extraordinary… like rain!

"Khun, let's try something different," he began to strategize, "Let's have you appear first, without an umbrella. It starts to rain and you cover your head with your jacket. You begin walking, but you're looking down at the ground, so you don't see the girl approaching you with an umbrella."

He walks toward NichKhun and pulls him to a spot on the floor for proper placement.

"Here," he stamps on the floor to emphasize the 'mark' where Khun needs to stand.

The director then waves toward Yoona and explains to her, "Yoona, you have the umbrella facing slightly downward, so you don't see notice the young man approaching you. You both collide and fall to the ground!"

The PD rubbed his hands together, excited at the new prospect, "Then Khun, you rush to her side to see if she's ok, the umbrella has fallen, and now you recognize her! She's your long lost first love! While you're still kneeling down to her you offer her your assistance to stand up, and you pick up the umbrella."

NichKhun nodded at the director and walked over to Yoona.

"Yoona, you finally recognize Khun! He offers you the umbrella, and when you take it from him, he sweeps you up in his arms! You hold the umbrella over the two of you as you walk from the stage. Let's take it from the top!"

The two young idols began to role play what they had just been directed to do. When NichKhun swept Yoona up into his arms, Yoona felt the heat rise to her cheeks. She could now smell the soft musky cologne that he wore. She casted her eyes up to meet his gaze. He was smiling from ear to ear!

The director instructed, "HOLD IT!"

"Yoona, let's try laying your head on his shoulder as he carries you away."

Khun put Yoona carefully down on the floor, and re-enacted the scene.

He his smile now lit up his eyes just as he swept Yoona back up into his arms a second time. Yoona noticed the playful, almost mischievous twinkle in his eyes, and this time he adlibbed by singing so softly that only she could hear him, "Under my umbrella… ella…ella… ella."

Yoona placed her head on his broad shoulder. NichKhun glanced down at her and his smile broadened. "Comfy are you?" he whispered.

"Almost," she mouthed silently, and squirmed around in his arms, causing him to bounce her upwards in order to re-adjust his bridal hold on her. "You need to eat more, Yoona, you're as light as a feather!"

The director watch both of their glowing faces and realized that he had the perfect couple!

"Put her down for now, Khun. This looks a little too convincing. I think we need some humor in this act."

Khun shrugged at Yoona, gently placing her on her feet and as he stood to his full height he whispered, "I think our brilliance is blowing him away. Or maybe…have you actually fallen in love with me?"

Yoona playfully clipped his shoulder in response. "Pabo," she whispered back.

She liked NichKhun. He was so expressive with his eyes and facial expressions! Each time he spoke to her, she knew he was being honest. He was so very gentle with her. He was so unlike a certain someone else, who was so forceful, and aggressive with her!

"Get me the scriptwriter!" the directed boomed, "And you two, take ten." He waved them off.

Khunnie walked over to the cooler on the floor, lifted the lid, and grabbed two chilled water bottles. As he handed one to her he asked, "Want to take a walk?"

Yoona nodded and they left the practice room. Khun pointed to the elevator and said, "I've always wanted to check out the roof from here, shall we?"

As they rode the elevator up together, Yoona remembered the note she read the day before. She had forgotten all about it until she was looking for a pair of earrings, and noticed her tray of accessories. The note must have been placed there by the ahjumma that comes in and cleans once a week. She always goes through their pockets before laundering their clothes.

The paper had been folded into an origami shape, and was written on one of his planner calendar pages.

"Today I met with a girl that filled the room with sunshine when she smiled. Her laugh is like cool refreshing spring water. For a few brief hours, her presence soothed me. It was as if I was a weary traveler, and she gave me shelter and warmth. She fed me with her unique deep thoughts, and I drank of her beauty. May 5th, 2009 is now missing from my Planner, but it will never be missing from my heart. As my mentor Paul Coelho says, 'Your heart will always be your north star in life – as long as you listen to it and give it a chance to talk to you.' Today you were my north star.

Follow your heart, Yoona, and you won't go wrong."

She glanced up at Khunnie and caught him watching her.

"I liked your note," she shyly admitted. "It meant a lot. Especially...now."

He felt warmth cover him with her acknowledgement.

"Do you mind me asking why now?"

The elevators doors opened, and off to the side was a short flight of stairs. Khun reached over to offer to carry Yoona's water bottle for her as she ascended up the stairs ahead of him. He watched her slender form with her long legs, emphasized by the tan pair of shorts she wore and couldn't help but grin as he observed her rear end swing from side to side with each step she took.

When they reached the rooftop, they walked over to the fencing and Yoona reached her hands upward, "Mmmmm," she enjoyed the stretch, "Great suggestion. I love Seoul's sky at this time of year. Before it gets too hot. It's just right."

Khun grinned to himself. She avoided his question completely. His curiosity was piqued. He cocked his head to one side and his eyes sparkled, "So is it work related, love related, or friend related…" he probed gently.

Without facing him she sighed, "Let's just say that I don't know what to do about someone that I thought was a friend…"

Khun considered the very vague comment and thought for moment. Could she be talking about me? Is she thinking of me as more than a friend now?

"Yoona, remember we talked about how much both like to read? Well I read once that there was a girl who was afraid to choose a path in her life, because she didn't want to miss out on other possibilities. She wouldn't commit herself to a single path."

He paused and watched Yoona as she turned to face him and looked directly into his eyes as he continued.

"Like after her first romantic disappointment, she had decided to never again open herself up completely to anyone. She feared pain, loss, and disappointment, and even worse, separation."

Khun turned to face Yoona as well, so that now they stood a few feet apart, intently focused on each other.

"All of those things are inevitable on your path to love, and the only way to avoid them is by deciding not to take any path at all. So if you don't want to get hurt and suffer, you'll have to renounce love completely."

He felt a connection between them. She was soaking in every word he said. She absorbed it into her entire system, like a dried sponge intakes liquid.

Khun reached up and brushed the back of his fingers across her left cheek. "You can spend time debating what path to take, or want to choose them all, but end up following none instead. Do you have the courage it takes to make mistakes? Do you have the courage to be in pain in order to find love?"

Yoona knew she could trust Khun with every fiber of her being. Just from these few brief, private encounters they had, she felt a security bond with him. No man had spoken to her so openly about love and the turmoil one goes through while in love.

"How will I know who my soulmate is?" she asked sincerely.

Khun inhaled deeply and took a long drink of his water. A few drops dripped from the side of his mouth and he carelessly wiped it away.

"Don't laugh," he said softly. He watched for her reaction. He knew she wasn't taking this lightly. She merely nodded a promise and anticipated his answer.

"I think God gives us a choice. I think he will send you several candidates, and it's up to you to choose. He just wants you to be happy. So here's how I see it…"

He lowered his water bottle on the ground and then placed both hands on either of Yoona's shoulders. He moved closer to her, and lowered his face to be directly in front of hers.

"I will know my soul mate by the love light in her eyes. Her eyes will show me her heart and soul."

It was Yoona's turn to her head to one side, questioning and considering his remark.

"I can't explain emotions, Yoona. I can only tell you to let yourself feel things intensely. Like right now, this very moment, what do you feel?"

Yoona considered for a brief second before answering. There was positive energy flowing between them, she could actually feel it.

"Better." Yoona replied honestly.

"Better?" Khun chuckled.

She nodded and since his face was so close to hers she noticed that he had missed a drop of water on the side of his mouth. She reached up and brushed it away. Khun's eyes deepened as she did so.

"So in other words, what you're saying is…" she explained, "No path can be completely wrong. That applies to people too, I guess. They can't be completely wrong. You're telling me not to give up, right?"

Khun thought about telling her the real thoughts that were racing through his mind. He settled for giving her shoulders a slight squeeze. Too soon.

"Exactly. You can't be completely wrong about anything. After all…" he reached down and picked up his water and looked down at his watch. Their time was up. "… even a broken watch is right twice a day." And with that, he gave her one is his devastatingly charming winks.

Taecyeon noticed immediately that his 'Deer' contact had been deleted from his iPhone. He had intended on calling her, since he didn't approach her when she was with DongHae. He would plead for forgiveness. He wasn't ashamed. But her number was now gone. After questioning the members, almost accusing them that someone had messed with his phone, the Ahjumma finally admitted that it was she who had deleted it. She also mentioned the missed call.

"That's just GREAT!" Taec wanted to punch something. "Now I'm even more of an idiot for thinking she never called!"

The plan he had in mind was flawed, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

After questioning Khunnie when he returned from their practice on the mini-drama, he discovered that she didn't even mention him. Nothing. Zippo. He had gone back to being Mr. Cellophane again. And Khun came back humming, and almost floating on clouds! How he envied him.

"This has to work!" he strategized.

He enlisted the help of Seulong and Tiffany. Sunny would not even speak to him. Tiffany had asked him what happened, so it was clear that neither Yoona or Sunny had told the other members. He would respect Yoona's decision for privacy and so he didn't tell Tiffany either. All she knew is that they had obviously faught.

They were now backstage at Music Bank, and it was nearing time for SNSD to take the stage for their Come Back performance. Yoona couldn't find her hat! How could it have disappeared? They all had marine suits on, and each of them were supposed to have their own hats. The stylists had them each laid out and hers was there a while ago!

"What to do? What to do?" Yoona was panicked.

"It has to be here, Yoona," Tiffany replied, "Let's check again!" She waved at the others to go on without them. They had all rushed out of their waiting room, and Yuri warned, "If you really don't find it in time, we will all take ours off, so hurry Yoona!"

Seconds after they had scurried off, Taecyeon stood in the doorway, on queue.

Yoona hadn't noticed because she was randomly throwing bits of clothing here and there, when unbeknownst to her, Tiffany had the hat folded in her back pocket.

Taecyeon dropped down to his knees and held his hands up high in the air forming fits, and lowering his head. "I'm sorry Yoona! I am so sorry!" He looked like a giant school boy being punished by his teacher.

Tiffany folded her arms to watch him, admitting that she would have never in a thousand years guessed that this giant would be kneeling before anyone.

Yoona looked up, surprised at first, immediately replaced with strong disdain. Her face reddened as she impulsively raised her hand into a fist, and then threw a few articles of clothing directly at Taec.

One of the short pairs of shorts landed perfectly atop his head.

"Unnie, let's just go. It's not here," Yoona said defiantly.

Tiffany pretended to spot something on the ground in faked surprise, "Here it is!" And she bent to pick up the hat that she had in her hand.

Yoona grabbed the hat, placed it on her head and followed Tiffany quickly to the doorway. They could not get past the large, impeding kneeling figure. Yoona folded her arms and impatiently tapped her foot on the ground. She began counting out loud, "One… Two…."

"THREE MINUTES," she heard a stage hand call down the hall to them. The voice actually belonged to none other than Seulong, who was observing, shaking his head at his pitiful friend.

Taecyeon lifted his bowed head, shook off the pair of shorts, and looked at Yoona. "I was wrong," he admitted. "Can you give me just one minute?" His eyes were filled with remorse, and even Tiffany could see his raw sincerity.

"Not now," Yoona replied impatiently. "We're up next, now MOVE!"

He released a sigh and stood to his full stature, and allowed Tiffany to pass. As Yoona walked by him, he swerved and embraced her from behind. His hands were lowered around her abdomen, because he wanted to make sure not to offend her this time by touching anywhere he shouldn't.

"Thirty seconds, I promise," he whispered near the side of her head.

"Aigoooo," she said impatiently. "HURRY!" She attempted to pull his arms off from around her waist.

"Yoona," Taec said softly, full of remorse, "… after this, I won't touch you ever again without your permission. Just hold still for 30 seconds." He loved the smell of her. She never had to wear perfume because her body had its own sweet scent. He inhaled it deeply, knowing it might be an awful long time until he was this close to her again.

"What I did was unacceptable."

"Pffff," she blew a raspberry from , "The understatement of the year!"

He pressed on as if his life depended on it.

"I know I've ruined our chances, but you have to know… you have to realize… that I've always liked you. I just lost control. It won't happen again. You have my word."

He slowly released her and turned her shoulders so that she was facing him.

"Please forgive me, Yoona. I was wrong. I can't bear it if you hate me."

"TWO MINUTES," called Seulong.

Taec recognized the anger in her eyes. He had seen it before up close. But this time she attempted to veil it. He thought he saw sparks firing from both eyes, yet she reached up and touched his hands that were on her shoulders.

She suddenly grabbed both hands with her own and tossed them roughly aside, and in one fluid, almost choreographed moment she brought up her right knee as hard as she could.

Taecyeon grabbed his groin as the pain shot throughout his body. He dropped to his knees with a loud moan and clenched his eyes and teeth tightly closed.

"Holy…mother…of…" was all he managed to mumble.

Yoona grabbed a completely shocked Tiffany by the hand and took off in a full, bursting run down the hall toward the stage.

Seulong had in his breath at the very second that Yoona nearly neutered Taec with her knee.

He strode over to quickly his younger brother, who was tossing back and forth on the ground, still holding his private, damaged goods.

Seulong kneeled down and patted him roughly on his , trying to deflect the pain that only another man can relate to… "That went well."

"Not… another… word…hyung."

"I'm just wondering if you can still rap as a Soprano?"