I See You

Chasing Deer Yoona

 

He clutched his iPhone a bit too hard, frustrated that it did not have zoom capability as he watched them through the miniature screen. There were nine of them on stage, almost equally as beautiful, but his camera phone singled in on one in particular. She was amazing. It wasn't because she was the best singer, because she wasn't. As a matter of fact, she only had a small role in the singing parts. It wasn't because she danced in the center, attracting everyone's attention around the nation either. It was simply because she was herself. There was no other like her. Her flawless skin almost shone as she twisted and swayed, her silky hair highlighted her facial features as she tossed it to and fro. Her long, thin legs were marvelously bare, as she trotted in high heels and extremely short shorts. Here comes the part where she winks out at the audience…pity he wouldn't see it from the front. He was almost hidden off to the side of the stage, in the dark, knowing that she had no idea how badly he wished she knew he existed. "I see you, naughty girl." he whispered.

He was so captivated by her movements and performance that he did not realize that he was also being watched. He only had a few more minutes before the song ended, maybe he should stop now and go back to his own member's dressing room. But since nobody knew he was there, he felt safe, in his secret adoration. He did not want anyone else to know, because there were already too many competitors to deal with, and he didn't want to be just another fan-boy. What he didn't know is that a few of the men that surrounded her like a protective circle were already aware of his secret glances, and stolen looks. Like the one that watched him now, torn on whether to go up and confront him, or let it go, since he had to go up on stage as soon as the nine beauties finished.

His muscles relaxed, as he sighed, "I guess I could watch you all night if you let me."

"You won't have the chance, you stalking ert," said the second man. He clapped his hand down on the tall shoulder, and leaned closer, "Stay away from her, Dumbo Ears."

The younger man fumbled his iPhone as he jumped from surprise. He turned to face the shorter, but sinewy man that he knew to be her best friend.

"Lee Teuk," he stammered, "How long were you standing here?"

"Long enough to know what you're up to, ert," the older of the two reached for the iPhone and snatched it away.

"What are you doing?" the younger man asked.

"I'm doing you a favor," LeeTeuk replied, "Now get out of here."

The younger man was about to protest when he realized that the girls on stage had started to walk toward them. He watched helplessly as the other man walked out on to the stage and exchanged high fives with the girl group, on his way to the microphone to MC.

He retreated back stage, and headed to his own dressing room, before being sighted by any of the lovely ladies. Why did he have to get caught by LeeTeuk of all men? The man was her closest ally, he was almost constantly by her side or on the phone with her. And now he had his cell phone! What had he planned on doing with it?

As he entered the small dressing room, the other male members were busy and barely noticed him. One sat at the mirror, removing stage make up. Three of the others imitating dance moves from another group. Yet another was packing away his costume into a long garment bag. The tallest of the members glanced around the room he had just entered, quietly closing the door behind him.

The handsome face that was removing make up looked through the mirror's reflection of his friend that just came in. "Did you get caught?" he asked.

"Huh?" the tallest was startled by the accuracy of the question.

"Did you get caught by someone?"

The oldest of the six stammered, "What do you mean?"

"Hyung, you think we don't know that you fancy her?"

The youngest that was putting away costumes, stopped and looked up from his task.

"Hyung, you're too obvious. We all know where you disappear to all of a sudden when SNSD are on the stage."

He looked desperately between his two friends as they almost gloated in their revelation, exchanging knowing glances at each other.

"What are you talking about," he asked defensively.

Nickhun placed the tissue down that he was using to remove his make up and turned to face his friend.

"Did you think we wouldn't have noticed? Dude, Chansung and I have been crushing on her since the day we met them on Army Idol."

The maknae walked up to his older brother and threw his arm around the taller man's shoulder, "Taec, you're an amateur at love. Why don't you let us help you?"

Nickhun joined the two taller men, "Even though you don't stand a chance against us," he said jokingly.

Taecyeon shrugged off Chansung's arm and pushed him gently away. "I don't know what you're talking about. I don't fancy anyone in particular."

The other two busted out laughing at the obvious denial.

"Hyung, men can spot their competition a mile away." Khunnie explained. "It's not like we didn't know from the first. But we also know how private you are about these things, and so we just didn't say anything."

"Until now," added Chansung. "You look bad. What happened?"

"Who caught you?" Nick inquired.

"You two need to just back off, and finish packing up the gear." Taecyeon turned back to the door and as he reached for it, Chansung asked him, "Where are you going?"

"To get what belongs to me." Taecyeon responded as he closed the door behind him.

The two friends grabbed at the door and both poked their heads out and watched him head down the hall.

"Isn't the SNSD dressing room the other way?" Nickhun yelled out to Taecyeon.

The tall, muscled, friend waved an arm up in the air as he continued down the hallway.

"Where's he going?" Chansung asked.

"To regain his sanity?" Nick joked as he shrugged and turned back into the room to resume his duties.

As Taecyeon approached the largest of all the dressing rooms, he knew he would have to prepare himself for this conversation. It was going to be awkward but there was no other way.

He hesitated a few feet from the open double doors, as he heard the large group of ten men rustling around in the room, chattering and joking with each other.

Then he heard a group of them burst out in laughter, as they chanted, "Again! Again!"

It was then that he heard her distinct vocal impression float from the room.

"I don't know what you oppas are talking about!" she chided in her imitation of the comical TV character, "what do you mean by that?"

The laughter raised up from the young men and Taecyeon felt his muscles tighten. What was she doing here? Why in their dressing room, of all places?

There was no mistaking that voice, it belonged to the object of his affection for the past year. He hadn't realized he had fisted his hands, and a scowl deepened across his brow. Why must it always be them? They were a constant cocoon of protection around her and they monopolized her. He took a deep breath, and shook his hands free. They didn't own her, and he would need to man up if he wanted to change this ever re-occurring scene.

He stepped into the doorway just in time to see the one called Dong Hae pull Yoona on to his lap. She laughed as she tried to squirm free, but then Yaesung leaned in close to her and squished her face between his hands. LeeTeuk clapped his hands in approval, laughing loudly along with Heechul as they said, "Again! Again!"

"OPPA!" she tried to say with her squashed lips and cheeks. She hadn't noticed him standing there. She never noticed him. Only one of the ten men seemed to have realized their territory had been breached by an outsider.

Siwon glanced at Taecyeon and then back at his friends playing with Yoona. He loudly cleared his throat and walked up to DongHae, placing a hand on his shoulder. His other hand stretched out to rustle Yoona's hair roughly, "Yah you…you need to go back to your room." LeeTeuk and Heechul booed at Siwon and attempted to push the party-pooper away from DongHae, but he looked at them seriously and then motioned his head toward the doorway.

LeeTeuk stopped smiling when he saw Ok Taecyeon standing in their doorway. "Nervy brat," thought the 28 year old. He walked towards the door reaching into his pocket.

Taecyeon looked beyond him, watching as DongHae nuzzled his nose into Yoona's hair as she leaned forward to dodge him, but Yaesung still had her face in his hands, so it make escape impossible. Heechul glanced at the doorway, and when he saw it was no one important, he went back to clapping and bounced up and down while coaxing them on.

He didn't want to watch this. But he couldn't take his eyes away from the scene. It was like passing a traffic accident. He knew he should look away but his morbid curiousity forced him to keep watching DongHae's hands on her waist, and Yaesung's hands on her face. He didn't want to see her laughing so hard as they manhandled her. Why was she like this with them? And why wouldn't she look in his direction?

"What are you doing here, Junior?" asked LeeTeuk as he closed in.

Taecyeon could not peel his eyes off of her. Even as the other members began to notice his presence, and then continued on with packing and playing.

"I came for what's mine." Teacyeon answered in a serious tone.

"Oh you mean this," LeeTeuk teased, as he reached in his pocket and pulled out the iPhone. He lifted it up between two fingers, "You should thank me. You have more space on it now."

When he realized that Taecyeon was not interested in the phone, or him, he looked back to see what had captured his interest. He stepped directly into Taecyeon's line of vision, blocking him from the play scene, "I deleted your video files."

There was no reaction.

"All of them," he clarified.

Since Taecyeon was almost a full head taller, he managed to look above LeeTeuk, and witness Siwon pull Yaesung away from Yoona, and in a single motion he pulled her up from DongHae's lap, as DongHae reached out to grab her back. Siwon whispered something into Yoona's ear, her smile slowly fading, and turned directly to face the door.

Taecyeon then reached up and snatched his phone back from LeeTeuk. The shorter, but older man smirked at him and started to turn back into the room.

"Don't go away mad," said LeeTeuk, "Just go away, period."

The taller man directed a slight bow to Yoona and watched as she returned the gesture.

He then looked down to the smirking LeeTeuk and said quietly, so only the two of them could hear, "Why do I need videos when the real thing is right in front of me?"

The smirk disappeared as he continued, "I always have a back up plan...wait til you see the plan I have to erase you lot from her life."