Shoes and Sushi

Chasing Deer Yoona

 

When Taecyeon arrived at the Japanese restaurant, he asked for a private room near the back exit. He knew Tiffany loved Japanese food, especially sashimi, but he didn't know Yoona's favorite type of food… yet. He liked the layout of this room, with lush green ferns and waterfall appearing to grow out of the far wall. He also enjoyed being able to stretch his legs, with the accommodating dug out space below the table. It was difficult for him to keep his long legs folded traditionally, so this worked out perfectly. He leaned back momentarily, placing his arms behind him as he rested with a lazy smile. "Yep, this will do just fine," he thought as he remembered how easy it was to coax his good friend Tiffany to bring along Yoona for lunch. "Not her type?" he asked himself, remembering all the previous times that Tiffany had dissuaded him. "We'll just see about that."

He glanced at his watch again, and then reached for tea pot. "They'll be late," he confirmed, as he suspected they would. He talked to Tiffany a few hours before, and she mentioned that she was going shopping with Yoona that morning.

"So why don't I meet you two uptown for lunch?" he asked casually.

Tiffany let out a heavy sigh, because she knew he wouldn't give up. "I suppose you won't take no for an answer?" she said in crystal clear English. They always spoke in English when it was just the two of them.

"Let's meet at Tani's, it's a new restaurant in Cheongdam-dong, next to Lotte's. You'll be in that neck of the woods shopping anyway."

He heard Tiffany's interest peak as she asked him, "Oh that's the new one with the stones and woodcarvings right? I heard it has an African feel to it!"

"How's 1:30 sound," Taec offered?

"You better make it 2PM," Tiffany joked.

"Ouch!" he cringed.

"No seriously, we love to shop, so give us at least till then."

He wiggled his toes as he stretched, imagining Yoona sitting across from him. He would love to be at the stage in a relationship where he could play footsies under the table, but he was getting ahead of himself. It was hard to harness his imagination and desire when it came to Yoona. He didn't want to slow down to her pace. But he knew he'd scare her off unless he did.

"How long does it take to buy shoes?" he impatiently muttered. He had been waiting for 35 minutes, when his iPhone vibrated.

"We're in the lobby now," Tiffany texted.

He quickly straightened his posture and combed his fingers through his hair. He had unconsciously wet his lips and cleared his throat before taking another quick glance down at the table and around the room to make sure everything was just right.

There were four purple satin pillows that surrounded the table. He was tempted to remove one from the other side of the table, and sit on it as well, so that Yoona would either need to sit beside him or in front of him. Either of those options would work.

He heard the soft voice, "We're entering," spoken in Japanese.

He brightened as the sliding doors revealed the two lovely young members of SNSD, with the Japanese hostess signaling them where to place their shoes at the room's entrance.

"Yo!" Taec said energetically.

"Yo!" Tiffany mimicked.

Yoona acknowledged him with a slight bow and bent down to remove her shoes.

He nodded at Tiffany in approval as she continued to smile at him.

"Sorry we're late, Oppa," she spoke in Korean, since Yoona was with them. "The place we wanted to go to was packed so we had to skip it. But we did find a nice smaller store… do you want to see?" she raised up her shopping bag.

"Come and sit down first, and relax" he answered. "You should get something to drink."

He watched as Yoona placed her shoes neatly next to his own, and saw her smile when she eyed the difference in sizes. He motioned to her to take a seat and she hesitated slightly before she seated herself across the table, but not directly in front of him.

As Tiffany sat down directly in front of Taec, she said, "Oppa, it's great timing that you happened to be on the same side of town as us when you texted me a while ago." She knowingly smiled at him to watch for his reaction.

"Yep, nice coincidence."

Realizing he needed to bring her in to the conversation, he looked at Yoona and continued, "Yoona-sshi, I'm glad you came too. We haven't had much of a chance to talk to each other."

"I'm always up for a free lunch!" she immediately joked, "And Tiffany has wanted to come to this restaurant since they opened."

Before long they had ordered and were sampling extensive sushi offerings along with Kushiage, Kushiyaki and a few soba dishes. One thing Taecyeon noticed about Yoona, she wasn't shy when it came to eating, and he liked that in a girl. It was a mystery where all that food went, since she was so slender he could easily pick her up with one arm.

She reached for her phone, it was the third time she had received a text message within the last 30 minutes. He couldn't help himself, he placed his hand out, open palm, and signaled at her to hand him the phone. Her perplexed look made him smile, and he said to Tiffany, without taking his eyes off of Yoona, "You too, Tiff, hand over your phone."

He pulled his own phone from his pocket and placed it on his open palm. Tiffany shrugged as she surrendered her phone over to her friend, but Yoona seemed doubtful.

"Don't I deserve your undivided attention Miss Yoona, since I'm your lunch date?"

She opened to object to the term date, but he had already reached over and confiscated her phone.

"We can have these back after we're done eating," Taecyeon said confidently.

Tiffany attempted to explain to Yoona that Taecyeon was a bit hard-headed when it came right down to it, but she used the wrong word in Korean and Taec and Yoona ended up laughing.

That set up a tirade of instances they shared about Tiffany and and Taecyeon's experiences at times switching from English to Korean. For Taecyeon it was much easier, because both his parents spoke nothing but Korean at home. But Tiffany was a lot like Nickhun when it came to Korean, they knew the basics, but colloquial sayings and jokes sometimes went right over their heads.

He watched Yoona as she laughed, and it made him laugh even harder. She never held back, whether it was her appetite or her laughter, she enjoyed both wholeheartedly. He had seen her share that laugh too many times with other male friends, but this was his first. How pleased he felt with himself, that he could make her laugh this way.

They had finished their meal and were contemplating dessert when he stretched his right leg slightly in Yoona's direction. His foot brushed up against hers which caused her to look immediately up at him. She was about to apologize, when it happened.

It was that wink of his that stopped her before she even started the sentence.

"What is that supposed to mean?" she thought. She simply smiled nervously at him.

"Since you're still underage and can't have any champagne or saki, let's just settle for something sweet," he grinned.

He slid over to the empty space next to him and stretched the dessert menu over in her direction. She reached for it but he didn't let go. When she looked up at him, he pointed to a specialty dessert, fried ice-cream.

"Tiffany loves ice cream," he suggested to Yoona, "What do you love?"

His eyes looked into hers intently and the corner of his lips curved into a y smile.

She felt tingles run up her arms and back, and realized she had goosebumps.

Maybe it was his confidence, or maybe it was the way he carried himself, with his broad, strong shoulders, but she knew there was something different about this member of 2PM that she had not yet encountered with her other Oppas.

Not to be outdone, she let go of the menu and reached for his wrist.

"What time is it, Oppa?" she asked as she pulled his wrist closer so she could see his watch.

He leaned forward, putting the menu down, and extending his arm to her freely, wanting to use the other hand to touch her silky hair. He noticed the way she tucked one side behind her ear, revealing her soft earlobe. He briefly imagined what it would be like to whisper into her ear, or better yet, to take it softly between his lips…

"Yoona likes ice cream too!" Tiffany said, almost too loudly.

It broke the trance that both had on each other and Yoona quickly let go of Taecyeon's wrist, and he shyly slid back over to his own seat.

He cleared his throat and reached for a cup of hot tea because his mouth had gone dry. "She definitely felt it too," he thought. "That was electric!"

After the ice cream, Taecyeon reached down for the phones, and powered each one back on. He handed Tiffany her phone and then he looked at his own iPhone and frowned as he pretended it would not power back on.

"Must be dead," he shrugged. "I'll use yours, Yoona."

After it turned back on he noticed the alert informing him of 12 missed text messages. Either someone was desperately trying to reach her, or she was one very popular girl. He quickly punched in his own number into her keypad, and his iPhone vibrated.

"Oh it is working after all!"

He handed back her phone and they rose and began gathering their belongings.

"Thank you, Oppa, for a wonderful lunch." Yoona smiled at him.

"Mmm it was delicious wasn't it," he looked into her eyes. Tiffany headed to retrieve her bags, and was also thanking him but he continued to watch Yoona.

"We should do this again sometime," he offered, "I have your number now," he raised up his phone and smiled. "So let's plan on it."

Yoona surprised him with a coy smile of her own, "You have "A" phone number, Oppa, we each have 2-3 phones, so make sure you ask me for all of them." And with that she was out the door, leaving him shaking his head helplessly.

"You can count on it," he grinned to himself, pleased with her coy revelation.