Departure

Chasing Deer Yoona

 

The boys weren't sure why they were called into the emergency meeting, but they knew it was serious.

Rarely were they all called into Jin Young Park's office, collectively, and never before was a corporate lawyer present in their group meetings.

Each of the boys sat around the small conference table, and waited.

Jin Young emerged out of a private connecting door, which they knew led to a private kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, fully equipped. Although he didn't sleep over in the office often, there were times when he worked until 3 or 4 in the morning, only to grab an hour or two of sleep.

Having a comfortable private space saved driving time and more expedient.

He patted his face dry with a hand towel before tossing it on a nearby sofa.

His eyes were bloodshot. His facial features revealed a grave, deep concerned look, and they began to fidget. Something definitely wasn't right.

And where was Jay? Their leader hadn't joined them, and each of them whispered as they realized he wasn't in attendance.

Jin Park cleared his throat and removed his tie, ing the two top buttons on his dress shirt.

He sat at the head of the table and let out a deep sigh. His eyes held the sadness and pain that he would not now or perhaps ever explain to them.

"I'm sure you're all wondering why I called you here. You're wondering why Mr. Jeon is here, and most of all, you're wondering why Jaybeom Park isn't here."

He spoke reverently … too solemn for their comfort.

As each of the members nodded he pursed his lips, and his chin almost quivered.

"Boys, everything we discuss in this room, is absolutely confidential. I can't even have you discuss it with anyone else in the company… and it goes without saying, you'll each be asked to sign non-disclosure agreements."

As Mr. Jeon passed the forms around to each member they read the two short paragraphs. JYP-hyung has always been strict with them, when it came to their training, their work outs, their hours of practicing… but even with his business, they knew he meant it when he said that the JYP company was like a family to him.

Of course there were contracts and rules, but that was industry wide. When it came right down to it, they felt like they had been given a golden opportunity to prove to Jin Young and their own families that they could become an important part of the every increasing KPOP wave that was sweeping Asia.

He watched each one, faithfully signing the agreements and waited.

After the agreements were stamped and signed, Mr. Jeon stood and walked over to another door, and excused himself.

"Everyone…" he paused. He fought to gain composure as tears threatened to spill, and his voice cracked.

He cleared his throat and began again.

"We all, each one of us, make mistakes. Some mistakes are bigger than others."

Immediately the boys began to think of what they had done wrong that would bring about this solemn meeting.

"The bigger the mistake, the more painful the sorrow it brings."

They could have heard a pin drop. No one dared respond. He had their undivided attention. They felt like their very lives were going to change by his words.

And they were not wrong.

"And when those that are close to us… such as our family, when one of them is in pain, we can't help but ache too."

He looked up at the ceiling and then back at them, because there was no way he could stop his tears from flowing, no matter how valiantly he tried.

"I'm sorry," he said softly and each boy in turn felt the sadness overcome them, and their eyes also filled with tears.

"I'm sorry for the pain you're going to feel. I'm sorry for the disruption this may cause your careers. But most of all, I'm sorry that I can't let you say goodbye."

Khun was the first to speak, with tears flowing down his cheeks, "Hyung, what's happened? Where are we going? What did we do wrong?"

Wooyoung couldn't even find words. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

As each one attempted to say something, Jin Young raised his hand up at them and continued.

"You're not going anywhere. Jay Park will be leaving the family."

He swallowed and watched their faces as it sank in.

"He is no longer a member of 2PM."

Chansung thought he had heard wrong. Jay was their leader, how could this be?

Junsu and Junho looked around the table in confusion and Taec cleared his throat, and wiped the single tear off his cheek.

"Why?"

"I know you all deserve to know. You deserve more than anyone else in the world to know. But I can't tell you. The only thing I can tell you is that I would not have made this decision lightly. You have to believe that."

"Is this about the comments on his MySpace page," Khun challenged, "Because I thought that had blown over and was done."

"I would not terminate his contract over that. What Jaybeom has done, is something between him, God, and…." He paused. "Well, all you need to know is that consequences must follow your actions…and sometimes those consequences are dire."

"What?" Taec exclaimed louder than even he expected. "What could he have done that was so bad? What about family forgiveness?"

"Taecyeon," Jin Young said to him, sternly but in a low voice. "You must believe me when I say I wanted more than anyone to have Jay remain as part of 2PM. But it would not be right to have mistakes go by unpunished, and unpaid. Jay must redeem himself. We cannot do it for him."

"For now, we will call it a hiatus."

He watched them carefully and Junho and Wooyoung's tears now flowed freely.

"You will be asked by reporters, by friends and by your family about the sorted details. All I can tell you is that it's better that you don't know, because if you knew, you were be in even more pain than you are now."

"Where's Jay?" Khun asked earnestly.

"He's been taken back to the dorm to pack two suitcases. Everything else will be sent to his home in Seattle."

"You mean…" Junsu began.

"I mean you will not be able to say good bye to him. By the time you go back to the dorm, he will be gone. We've asked him for his cell phones, so you won't be able to reach him. It sounds harsh, but this is for all of your own protection. And for Jay's."

Jin Young watched as Wooyoung put his head down on the table and cried quietly. He was soon followed by Channie and Junho. Khun looked dazed and Taecyeon looked angry.

They waited for more of an explanation. This couldn't be happening. It must be some sort of bizarre, sadistic hidden camera joke.

Somehow though, they knew it wasn't.

"Screw this," Taec slammed his palm down onto the conference table as he pushed himself on to his feet.

"Taecyeon, sit down."

"I signed your damn form, Hyung!" Taec spat as he turned and bolted toward the door.

"TAECYEON!"

This wasn't happening… it wasn't real… there is no way one of them would not be there with the others! Taec refused to believe it. It was some sort of sickass joke, like a stupid variety candid camera thing.

Their dorms were not far from the building, but it was far enough that he should have flagged down a taxi. Instead, he sprinted madly on foot, as fast as he legs could carry him.

He ran.

Inhaling.

Exhaling.

Inhaling.

People stopped and watched the tall young man, others moved out of his path when they saw his determined, almost battle-mode glare.

Jay! Not Jay. No. This wasn't real.

Sweat dripped down his chest and his temples. He felt the heat of the mid-morning rays on the back of his neck as he pumped his arms, while running. Too slow. He was going too slow! Why the hell was everyone in his way!

"EXCUSEMEEEEEE," he called out loudly, "SORRY! EXCUSE ME!" While he pushed them aside, dividing the stream of people as if it were the red sea. "PLEASE!," he cried out, "PLEASE MOVE!"

Too many blocks were still left between him and the dorm.

He refused to give up. His chiseled cheeks puffed in and out as his breathing raced in tune with his long and hurried strides.

Thoughts of Jaybeom Park's laughing face filled Taec's mind. His first memory of the skinny, cocky but quiet kid, with a baseball cap twisted on the side of his head, baggy jeans, and extra large sized LA Laker's jersey, with Nike hightops. He was all gansta in appearance, and when Taec heard him speak English, he was pleasantly surprised. A Korean-American!

Countless nights spent together, telling each other stories, secrets of their past, ambitions, fantasies… and the ever crude, but completely understandable American that Jay had on DVDs! The fights they had over food. The times he mocked Nickhun's Korean, only to be corrected himself.

Jay was a brother from a different mother… he was one of them!

It seemed to take forever but Taecyeon finally raced up the last few flights of stairs of their dorm before bursting through the front door.

He was covered with sweat, hair completely drenched, t-shirt plastered to him. His breaths were now ragged, trying to find enough oxygen in the room… but failing.

"JAY!" he called out loud. "JAY PARK!"

He grabbed onto his knees, inhaling… inhaling….

Exhaling… not… enough… air.

"JAY BEOM PARK!" he stumbled down the hallway.

His throat tightened. It constricted at the bald silence of the dorm.

The bedroom door was open, and drawers were ajar. Empty drawers. The nearby desk that was supposed to have the Vaio laptop, a stack of CDs, photos… all gone.

The barren half of the closet confirmed his worst nightmare.

Taec dropped down onto his knees.

No air. Why couldn't he breathe?

His body deflated, and he lurched forward, dropping his full weight onto his hands, to keep from flattening onto the ground.

On his hands and knees he let out loud, crackling laugh.

His shoulders shook with laughter as he raised his fist and pounded onto the floor.

The laughter was painful… it ripped through the room, in the very deep, low tones, that were soon replaced by jagged cackles.

Tears rolled down his cheeks, mixing with the moist sweat already there.

What the hell was this, Taec thought, as he tried to control the manic laughter.

He clamped one of his hands over his mouth, because his own ears were offended.

The shoulders shook even more fiercely, and his stomach clenched tightly as his chest heaved up and down. The laughter transformed instantly into sobs of despair.

Jay wasn't there.

He was gone.