Repentance

Chasing Deer Yoona

 

The intense pain that raged in his head was so blinding that he could not open his eyes. He instinctively reached up for his head with both hands to feel if there was any blood or open crack on it. "My God," he whispered to himself, "What the hell happened?"

"You're on the right path," came a brusque remark from across the room, "at this point, only God can help you!"

Taecyeon squinted his eyes closed and ever so carefully dared to open the left one.

"Hyung," he croaked, "I can't move my head. It hurts so bad!"

"No surprise there," Seulong snorted.

Taecyeon reached behind his head and brushed lightly over several large bumps that were painfully tender to the touch. "What the hell happened?" he inquired.

"You really don't remember? YOU happened! That's what happened!"

"Too loud!" Taecyeon winced at the pain ringing in his head, feeling as though for sure it would burst. He said softly, almost whispering, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that it should have been me bashing you in the head last night, but you took care of it yourself. You did quite a number too!"

Taecyeon tried to make sense of what Seulong was talking about, and he slowly opened both eyes enough to find himself in the 2AM dorm room instead of his own. He recognized it immediately.

"I don't remember anything."

"Anything? Nothing?"

"Last I remember… " Taecyeon paused in order to try to recall what happened the previous night only to groan miserably. "Oh God please… please tell me that was a nightmare. Please tell me it didn't really happen!"

"BINGO!" Seulong said as loud as he possibly could, knowing that the younger man deserved just as much pain if not more than he was experiencing.

Immediately tears formed in Taecyeon's eyes, and he closed them again, trying to force the vision away, only to find it replaying behind his closed eyelids. "Oh God… Oh God…. Oh God!"

Seulong shook his head and began to feel a small amount of pity creep into his heart but he quickly shut it out, and coldly responded, "I should have left you at the bar. Or had them call the police, which is what they were going to do. I swear, if it weren't for fear of JYP himself, I would have!"

"What bar?"

"The third one of the evening for you. You would not stay put for long before you began ranting and lamenting aloud, getting us kicked out, and moving on to the next."

Seulong continued to describe the scene to him, of his downing one drink after another and screaming out loud to the entire bar, "I'm sorry Yoona! I am so sorry!"

"Oh God!" Taec groaned, "Then it really did happen?" He was hoping that somehow this was all a bad dream, and that he would not have to face himself in the mirror, knowing what he had done.

"More importantly," Seulong said, as he finished buttoning his shirt, and considered his reflection, "How are you ever going to make up for this supremely asinine act? What on earth could you possibly do to gain her forgiveness?"

He watched Taecyeon as he attempted to sit up, still holding on to his head, as if to make sure it didn't fall off. He eyes were clenched shut.

"I am such a prick!" he admitted. "Truly, 100% Grade A Prick!"

"You don't hear me arguing with you." Seulong agreed.

"I don't even know why I did it. All I remember is there she was in front of me, smiling that incredibly beautiful smile of hers, with those huge, 'come hither' eyes, and that wonderful, y mouth of hers… OH GOD!"

"Well, you did have a total of five shots in you, but still!"

"Yeah I know. It was as if I could see myself from the outside, you know? There was this small voice yelling at me to stop, what the hell was I doing…but dude, really, I couldn't stop! I should have stopped but there she was… and I have wanted her for so damn long now."

"No excuse," Seulong kicked the bed with his foot and watched as Taec held on to his head tighter and let out another groan.

"I know that, dammit!" He opened his eyes again, with the tears still forming, he looked directly at Seulong, "I know! I know! I know!" After a few seconds he continued, "But do you have any idea how it feels to be chasing after someone for months and months, never to even get one single return phone call? I mean she's always with THEM! I bet she calls THEM back! I bet she even initiates the calls to THEM! Hell, she has even KISSED one of THEM! Probably kissed more than one!"

"Bad form, dude."

"I KNOW, OK! I'm a PRICK!"

"You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself, and literally banging yourself over the head like you did last night in the men's toilet stall, and start on the path of repentance my dear brother! You need to seriously do some begging and pleading. With the damage you caused, you'll need to be Mother-Freaking-Theresa now."

Taec managed to slowly get up from the bed and with one hand still holding the top of his head, he shuffled slowly towards the door to head to the bathroom for a hot shower. This was the worse hang over of his life.

When he got to the bathroom, he glanced at the reflection facing him, and almost did not recognize himself. "What the …" he bent closer to make sure it was him looking back. He saw two enlarged, overly swollen eyes looking back at him.

"That would be from all the crying you did last night," Seulong chimed in, leaning against the doorway. "I tried multiple times to get you back here in one piece, but you were determined to mess yourself up, one way or the other. Bashing your head against the back stall wasn't enough, you had to cry your eyes out too."

"It doesn't matter," he sighed, "She will never look at me again anyway."

"Oh that's it, just give up! Before you even try, just throw in the towel."

Taecyeon leaned into the shower to turn on the hot water and began to undress.

"Just…" he consider, "Just leave me the hell alone, ok bro?"

"Oh believe me, nothing I could possibly do will get you out of this. Sunny already called me and told me the Nut Club is done. Finito! She yelled at me! She said for us to ignore the "Thanks To" comments on the album cover coming out next week. If it had not already gone to the printers, they would have pulled it."

"Damn!" Taec began to let fly several other much stronger curses.

"We have Music Bank coming up in two weeks, I hope you have a plan then. Because that's the soonest you'll get to see her."

Taec tried to think but his mind was not working very well. He rubbed his hand over the large bumps on the back of his head again, and groaned. "I'll think of something."

"Oh I almost forgot," Seulong approached Taec, and Taec lowered his hands and looked back in the reflection of the mirror at his hyung. Seulong reached up and smacked Taecyeon hard on the back of the head, right on top of the wounded, swollen bumps.

"MOTHER FUC…." Taecyeon began his cursing again.

"That's from Yoona. She was too much of a lady last night to hit you, so …" he shrugged and turned to walk out, heading down the hall chuckling at the stream of curse words coming from the steamy bathroom.

In Yoona's mind there was no need to "Get Even." Sunny had told her on the way home last night, "Yoona, don't get mad, get even!" Bless Sunny's heart, but Yoona wasn't the type to go for revenge. She was angry, yes, but more than angry, she was confused and disappointed. Ok Taecyeon had seemed so nice, and funny too! She always laughed when she was with him. He made her happy.

Last night was such an off the wall, almost surreal experience that she kept replaying it in her mind on the way home. Had she done something that had given him the impression that she wanted that? Had she invited him? She couldn't fathom why he would go whacko on her like that, such a ert!

Then she considered Teukkie's words of wisdom to her, "Some men can't be friends with women. It's either all or nothing."

Teukkie was right, he obviously saw her as a woman, and not a friend. Friend's don't hurt each other that way.

Yoona was old fashioned. She had heard of this talk of 'friends with benefits' but that could never apply to her. For her, having a physical relationship could only be shared with someone she loved. She could never think of having with someone she was just attracted to. It was wrong in her eyes.

She was glad that Teukkie had deleted his number from her phone. Now she would delete the voicemails she had saved. They had made her smile and encouraged her at times when she was on her last thread of energy, but now… now even thinking of Taecyeon used up too much energy.

"I won't let you control my thoughts," she told herself, as she began deleting the voicemails.

"YOONAAAA!" squealed a voice from her bedroom. She knew it was Yuri, but what could have her so excited?

"Yoonaaa! Who gave this to you?"

Yoona got up from the living room sofa where she had been sitting, since it was Sunday it was one of the few days she didn't have to work. She walked in the room to see Yuri playing with a black frame. She glanced down at the bag at Yuri's feet and saw the opened box lying on the ground. She immediately recognized both the bag and the box, and her eyes widened. She had forgot to give him back the gift in their hurry to leave last night.

"Yoona it's adorable! Look!" Yuri turned it to face Yoona, and she watched as several images of the SNSD girls flip across the screen. "And that's not all! Check this out!" Yuri pressed a button and the chorus from "Gee" began to resonate in the room. "It's so awesome!"

Yoona walked over to Yuri and snatched it away from her and tossed it down on the ground next to the box and bag, without speaking.

"Why?" a puzzled Yuri inquired. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just returning it."

"Why?"

"Never mind why. I just am."

Before Yuri could ask more questions they were interrupted by Tiffany's entrance into their room.

"Yah! " she said into the phone, "You have her number, so why are you calling me, asking me to pass the phone?"

"Tiff, please, just don't say who it is, because I know she won't take my call. Trust me on this one."

Tiffany shrugged and extended her phone out toward Yoona.

"Who is it?" Yoona asked.

"Just take the call," Tiffany replied nonchalantly.

Yoona reached for the phone and listened to see if she could hear anything. "Hello?"

"Yoona! Please don't hang up, listen to me for a second. I'm so…"

Click.

Yoona handed the phone back to Tiffany and walked out of the room without saying anything more.

Yuri and Tiffany stood there looking at each other. Yuri whispered, "Who was it?"

"Ok Taecyeon," Tiffany whispered back.

"What happened?" Yuri continued in hushed tones.

Tiffany shrugged and looked back down at her phone. She clicked on re-dial and left the room as well. Yuri stood there wondering if she should follow Yoona or Tiffany!

Taecyeon knew she would hang up on him. He was expecting it. He couldn't blame her either.

He parked his car and walked over to the guard gate. He called Tiffany's cell phone and she buzzed him in, allowing him to enter the complex parking lot. As he walked toward their building, he reviewed his plan.

"I'll get Tiffany to bring her down to the lobby, and I'll drop on my knees and beg her forgiveness…"

He looked down at the plushy stuffed toy he had brought along with a bouquet of assorted wild flowers. He knew roses would be way too much for Yoona to accept. He was probably even pushing it by bringing any gifts at all.

He paced the sidewalk going over the plan again and again. Expect a slap. Expect to be cursed. Expect a kick in the shin… he reviewed all the possible options.

What he did not expect was to see DongHae walk toward the glass entry doors, and to see Yoona come walking out. DongHae extended open his arms and grinned at her. "Come here Little Baby Girl," he grinned sideways. Yoona almost flew into his arms as they held each other, she placed her head on his shoulder and inhaled deeply.

DongHae was taken aback by the strong embrace, and immediately felt like something was wrong. He rubbed her back gently and leaned his cheek on to her head.

"You want to tell Oppa about it now, or later?"

Yoona shook her head and continued the embrace, tightening her hold on him.

It was DongHae's turn to inhale deeply and then let out a long sigh. This felt so right. This is exactly where she belonged. Where she would always belong.

Taecyeon wanted to turn away. It hurt so bloody bad to watch them together like this. If he had any sense of self respect, he would walk away. But no, he knew he could not. He planted himself firmly and without realizing it, he smashed the flowers to his own chest and folded his arms as he watched.

"You deserve this, you prick head. Watch and let it burn in your heart…whatever you do, do not forget this moment."