Cleverest

Life.

 

“Come on, Taemin… You can’t lay down forever…” Key pleaded.

“Taemin, listen to your umma.” The second eldest instructed.

“Shut up…” the maknae murmured, without a single movement.

“Tae–” Key wanted to try once more but Jonghyun stopped him from doing so.

“Let’s leave him alone… He needs some space.” Jonghyun told, dragging Key from Taemin’s room to somewhere else.

Once the couple left, Taemin peaked from his covers and sighed. He didn’t want to hurt Key that way but he just really felt like being alone for now. Hell, he didn’t want to see anyone’s face for the last three days! Looking out his window, he saw the beautiful blue sky with was decorated with fluffy clouds that made Taemin want to try and hop on them.

His eyes never stopped gazing at the sky and he recalled few memories where he and Minho would go kite-flying together.

But we will never do that again, will we?

Taemin shook his head, and his eyes wandered at the sky once more. His mind thought of the limit of what he was looking at. Sure, he learnt that after the sky, there would be the atmosphere followed by space, but when he said limit, he meant it in a non-scientific way. He meant heaven.

Anything that lies above is beautiful; the sky, the Moon, the Sun, the clouds, the stars. Surely, heaven was far more astonishing. But of course, no one knows for sure. No one actually went to heaven and came back to tell how amazing it was.

But why does he care? He was going to there soon, anyways.

“Tae…?”

The youngest turn his to look at the direction of the voice. And there stood a man with slightly long hair, holding a tray of porridge with a glass of orange juice. He face showed a worried yet caring smile as he entered the room.

“Here… I’m sure you’re hungry…” He said as he placed the tray on Taemin’s bedside table. His prediction of Taemin’s hunger was confirmed when the both of them heard the sound of stomach grumbling.

“See, told you. I knew you were hungry.” Onew stated confidently.

“Um… Hyung?”

“Mm?”

“That was your tummy.”

It was then Onew realised that it was his stomach that was growling. This caused the leader to blush and the other to laugh maniacally. Although he was slightly embarrassed, he was satisfied that he managed to make Taemin laugh sincerely again.

“Why don’t we eat together?” Taemin suggested as he ate a spoonful and handed his hyung the same spoon as soon as he finished. And of course, Jinki gladly agreed.

 

_

 

“That’s it, hyung…” Minho mumbled to himself with a dorky grin.

“Yah! Frog! What are you doing?!” The group’s nagger’s voice boomed causing the younger to stumble back and fall.

Minho rubbed his head as Jonghyun approached and leant a hand. Minho gladly accept his hand and pulled himself up.

“What were you doing?” Jonghyun questioned.

“Oh, you know just…” Minho didn’t really care about the two lovebirds right now. All he wanted was just to watch over what Onew and Taemin were doing. He was so happy that Taemin was smiling again and he didn’t want to miss that smile again because his two hyungs were stopping him.

“Just… what?” Jonghyun asked again. He paused for a while and turn to look at where Minho was keeping his eyes at.

“Were you spying on them?”

Minho seemed to snap from his thoughts and protest immediately.

“N-No! Of course not!”

“Whatever, giraffe.” He mumbled loud enough for Minho to hear as he walked off.

Minho just rolled his eyes and when Jongkey were no longer in sight, he went to his position to spy on them again.

This time he saw Taemin and Onew staring at each other. No, not in a fun or caring way but in a frustrated and angry way. Taemin’s cheeks were stained with tears and Minho cursed at Jonghyun for keeping him away from spying for so long that he missed what had happened.

“You’ve got to be positive, Tae…”

“T-That’s what Minho used to say…” Minho flinched when he heard his name.

“Well, he’s right.” Onew stated bluntly.

“Yeah, he’s right about everything… Like how ugly I am and–”

“Tae!” Onew shouted.

Did I ever say that he was ugly? Was all that Minho could think of.

“You don’t care; you just pity me, that’s all…”

“Taemin, please…” The leader held the younger’s shoulder.

“Leave me alone!”

“Why can’t you just move on without Minho, huh!? Don’t spoil yourself because of one person, Tae! You’re dying because of him!!!”

Taemin and of course, Minho were very shocked due to their hyung’s outburst. Nothing can explain what the rapper felt next when he saw Taemin slapped the leader of SHINee.

“Leave him out of the fact that I’m going to die…” the maknae whispered as tears streamed down.

Onew just stared at the younger with a shocked expression that never left his face. When he finally realised that it wasn’t a nightmare, he removed his hand from his burning cheek and heads towards the door.

Noticing this, Minho ran away from his position and to the bathroom to avoid being caught. When he figured that Onew already left, he peaked outside.

“Did you really need to pee that bad?” a voice came out from nowhere that made him jump.

“Huh?”

“I mean you dashed to the toilet…” Key explained.

“Umm… Yeah.”

“You okay, bro? You seem so jumpy today…” Jonghyun asked.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.”

He was fine. He just needed to process what he had seen. If he had a mood to, he would laugh at how clueless Jongkey were.

Time passed and neither Taemin nor Onew came out for dinner. Jonghyun went and called Onew but the leader declined kindly that he wasn’t hungry with a smile. As for Taemin, they decided to let the maknae sleep since he recently ate the porridge.

_

 

That night, after Minho finished his meal, he headed to Taemin’s room and knocked on it. He didn’t receive any answer. Nevertheless, he opened the door and saw Taemin sitting on his bed without an expression.

“You know… You should listen to Onew-hyung.”

Silence.

“Onew-hyung, he–”

“Just leave me alone… You don’t even know what Onew wants.” a dry voice pleaded.

Minho, being the stubborn one in SHINee, shook his head in respond.

“You don’t know how much it hurts, Minho!”

Silence.

It was quiet for about a minute until a low chuckle filled the room.

“W-What’s so funny?!” Taemin demanded.

 “How ironic.” Minho stated as his chuckle died down.

“Wow. I guess I’m the cleverest in SHINee after all…” he announced proudly making Taemin wonder whether his hyung had overdose of retarded pills.