A PROMISE OF FOREVER

CHASING HAPPINESS

 

 

        A boy about the age of eight was panting from running, even if he was tired or out of breath, he doesn’t want to stop – not now. In his palm he was clutching a small round metal, so precious that he can’t even put it in his pocket.

 

        He has waited for this moment, even though it came too soon and he was not prepared, he wanted to do this one.

 

        He continued to run even if he almost trip and fell. He looked at his right hand and as if it gave him strength. He is for now the happiest man in the world. He stops at the playground look for the familiar face, he sees his friends, playmates who are noisily playing and running around. Then from all the faces in there he had found what he was looking for.  He then saw the most precious for him, the owner of a bright smile that can light u the whole place, the smile that can make everyone happy, especially him.

 

        In contrast on how he got in there he tiptoed on his way to the kid. He was notice by the owner of the bright smile and wave at him.

 

“Donghae! Come here!”

 

 His body become stiff and he can’t move his feet, he was as if frozen from the very spot. His heart pounds so fast as if his heart would jump out of his chest. Donghae’s hand involuntarily move to his chest feeling his heart beat and then he smiled insanely.  

 

“Hey move fast they will start the game!”

 

The kid shouted at Donghae again he started to look concern when Donghae did not move. Then the kid runs to Donghae’s direction, which look tired and nervous.

 

“Are you okay? Have you been running?” then the kid move his face closer to Donghae’s face to look at him closer, the distance of their faces where about three inches.

 

Donghae felt as if all the blood from his body boils and it all run to his face. He was blushing. Their faces were so close that he could feel his breath and he can see the perfect contour of this kid’s face.

 

He swallow hard before he answered.

 

“Y-yes.”

 

“Do still want to play?”

 

Then the kid looks around to see what their friends are doing.

 

“C-can we go somewhere?”

 

He was stammering when he utter those words that he felt was choking up on his throat.

 

The kid then look bored.

 

“Okay the game looks boring anyway”

 

The kid then followed Donghae’s lead they reached the town garden, no one is in there since its still early.  Donghae pointed on the bench under a big tree.

 

“Let us sit over there.”

 

The kid followed without any complain, once seated Donghae again felt uneasy and he doesn’t know how to start.

 

“What are we going to do in here?”

 

No response.

 

“Are we going to play in here?”

 

The kid look at Donghae who is lost in his deep thought.

 

“Why are you not talking?”

 

Silence.

 

“I’m going back to the playground.”

 

The kid got irritated and he stood up ready to leave Donghae behind, Donghae panicked and tugged the kids arm a if asking the kid not to leave and sit down.

 

“I’ll be leaving tomorrow.”

 

The kid got confused on what he is saying.

 

“What are you saying?”

 

“The business we have in here is bad and my parents decided that we should move to the city to start a new business in there.”

 

“Are you going to leave me?” the kid already have tears in his eyes that threaten to fall any moment.

 

“I don’t have a choice, I don’t want to leave but since I’m still a child I have to.” Donghae look at his hands tears were already roll his cheeks and it landed in his hands.

 

“Are you going to visit us?"

 

“I will try but I can’t promise.”

 

“Are you going to have more friends in there?”

 

Donghae look at the kids eyes. “You will always be the most special.”

 

The kid used the back of his hands to wipe away his tears.

 

“You’re a cheater! I thought we are going to grew up together? Now you are leaving me!”

 

“I am not! I maybe away but I promise that I will come back.”

 

“You will never remember me, you will meet new friends in there.” The kid looks away and bit his lower lip to stop crying.

 

“l always remember you. And if you want I will give something for you as a promise that I will return.”

 

The kid look at Donghae.

 

“Here.” He opened his palms and showed a small round metal in it, not expensive but very precious.

 

The kid’s eyes grew bigger.

 

“Where did you get this?”

 

“I bought it from my money, I wanted to give you a very beautiful one but I don’t have enough money. Are you going to accept it?”

 

“But we are still young.”

 

“I know but still want to give this to you and then one day we will get married.”

 

The kid nodded. “I understand, this ring will be a seal to our promise to be together.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“We will be together?”

 

“Forever.”

 

“You will comeback?”

 

“I promise.”

 

“We will build a tree house?”

 

“A bigger house if you want.” Donghae was ecstatic.

 

Then Donghae knelt down in front of the kid, just like in the movies, he offered the ring in his palm and ask.

 

“Will you marry me, Eunhyuk?”

 

Eunhyuk was crying while nodding his head. “Yes.”

 

Donghae smiled and put the ring in his finger. He stand up and planted a kiss in Eunhyuk’s lips.

 

 

 

A/N sorry for the super late update.