Chapter 13

CHASING HAPPINESS

 

Eunhyuk pass a fleeting look on the spot where Donghae usually stays when he is in the shop. He let out a sigh. He doesn’t know if that sigh was because Donghae is not in there and it’s a relief for him or a sigh because he wanted to see him. He is so confused.

It’s been two weeks since Donghae gave him that ring and he hasn’t shown his face on the shop. He was dead worried about him but he knows that he is in no position to do so. Besides he was thinking that he had really left him after he said goodbye.

So that’s how his years waiting ended with one simple goodbye and a ring, the ring that he intend to give back once he shown his face. But since he hasn’t Eunhyuk tried to act as if everything is normal or more or so pretended that everything falls perfectly the way it is before Donghae showed his face on their gate.

He tried to do what he think is normal … what he thought he should be doing in his life. Which is going to the bakeshop, going out with Siwon and trying to avoid Sungmin’s scrutinizing eyes.

And talking about Siwon he remembers the last conversation they had before he goes back to abroad to finish his masters’ degree.

They were in his room a day before he left. Both lying down in his bed and were

clutching both of their hands. Eunhyuk was staring at the ceiling

“I really don’t know what’s troubling you now, I hate seeing you like this. If I could only stay and be with you longer.” Siwon said while gently.

Eunhyuk didn’t have to move his head to see if he is looking at him because he can already feel the warm of his breath on his cheeks which is telling him he was facing him.

“I don’t know what you are talking about. I’m fine.” Eunhyuk did not know why he just bluntly lied to him.

“If you don’t want to tell me about it, then it’s fine. I know you still need time.” Siwon reach his hands ad plant a small kiss on it.

Eunhyuk stares at Siwon, tears were running down his cheeks.

“Why are you so kind to me?”

Siwon was surprise by his question. “Maybe because I love you so much and that I am willing to do everything so that you will not leave my side.”

“Even if I’m lying to you? Even if – even if I have a past that I can’t tell you?” Eunhyuk harshly snatch his hands from Siwon’s grip. “I don’t deserve you. I don’t deserve the love you give me.”

Eunhyuk move away from him and sit on the edge of the bed.

“What makes you think you are unworthy of my love?” Siwon does the same thing but maintains a distance from Hyuk. “Everyone has a past that we try to forget, it is something we cannot undo, I know that if people can, they will go back to that moment in their lives and change it. But no one can do that so we live by each day being hunted by that event in our life for as long as we walk on to this world or until we unbind the chain that ties us to that.”

Eunhyuk was astounded on what Siwon was saying.

“The past you have – I will accept it. I will do my best to understand you because I know whatever you have gone through before was difficult. If only I have met you earlier I could have prevented that past you have but since I wasn’t in there I promise to be with you from this moment on…” Siwon paused and took Eunhyuk’s hands and put it in his left chest. “Until this heart of mine will stop beating.”

“Thank you for everything.” Eunhyuk kneel down on the bed and hug Siwon. “Hey Siwon, I think I wanna do it.” He let him go and sit in front of him.

“What? Are you sure?”

“Well not really. But since you are leaving I think this will be the best gift I can give you.” Eunhyuk turns red as he said those words.

Siwon chuckle and gently push him to lie down while he went on top of him.

Eunhyuk could hear his heart beating fast.

“Do you really wanna do it?” Siwon tries to by moving his hair that falls in his eyes, he uses the back of his hand which he intentionally brush off on his forehead.

“I – I don’t know.” He was like an ice cream melting under his hotness.

“Then shall I show you if you are ready?” Eunhyuk weren’t able to answer because Siwon engulf his lips with his. His hands were caressing Eunhyuk’s slim body.

Eunhyuk kiss him back and his hands went to neck to pull him closer. He tries to calm down his heart but he was not prepare when Siwon’s lips went down to his neck and gently biting and nipping it, his hands under his shirt touching his stomach going to his chest. Siwon move away from him to remove his shirt.

His body was getting hot but his mind and heart were telling him this is wrong.

He was getting confuse again so he gather all his might and stop his hands from talking his shirt off.

“I –I’m sorry. I don’t think I can do it.”

Siwon look hurt by that but he was not surprise by Eunhyuk’s action.

“You are such a tease.” He smile weakly and pinch his nose. “Next time, don’t seduce me and stop me on the middle of it because I don’t know if I can control myself again.”

Eunhyuk felt really sorry for him, it was his fault to they started it and it was his fault why they have to stop on the middle of it. He knows how much pain he had cause him again but being the gentleman that he is he did not insisted that they continue it.

“I’m sorry. I’m so lame.” Eunhyuk reach out his hand to touch him but change his mind.

“Nah, forget it. I know you were not ready. I was only bluffing you but then I’m the one who falls for my own bluff.” He let out a hearty laugh.

“So you were just bluffing?” Eunhyuk make an effort to sound hurt and take the nearest pillow to hit Siwon. “You are so bad!”

His only answer were more laughter, he also took the other pillow to hit him too.

Eunhyuk does not care if they look stupid or immature hitting each other with pillow all he knows is that he is happy knowing how much this guy understand and respect him.

 

Eunhyuk was standing in their gate watching as Siwon went inside his car.

“Hey, don’t look at others okay?”

Siwon grin at him. “How am I supposed to look at others when I only have my eyes on you?”

“Just saying. I’m going to miss you.” He cross the distance between them and crouch on his window to give him a kiss.

“I will miss you more.”

“Take care of yourself, don’t get into any trouble.” He was nagging like a wife.

Siwon was nodding like an obedient child.

“Do you remember the waiter in the restaurant? I always see him in your bakeshop”

Eunhyuk felt like he was petrified and that his heart was going to jump out of his mouth.

‘Oh my! How knows Donghae! What should I do? Should I tell him the truth now?’

Eunhyuk shut his eyes and decides if he is going to tell him about Donghae or not.

‘He has the right to know, but how can I tell him?’

Siwon was watching him with a puzzled reaction.

“Yeah. I know him what’s with him?” Eunhyuk acted cool about it.

“I was just thinking if he was a friend of yours because I think a week ago he ask me to take good care of you.”

Eunhyuk weren’t able to suppress his astonishment. “He did?”

“Yes. Is he one of your friends? Why didn’t you tell me about him?” Siwon’s could not hide his accusation.

“I’m sorry if you think I’m hiding him from you, it just so happen that he was a just childhood friend that I have forgotten.”

“So he was your former friend?” Siwon didn’t sound satisfied with his answer.

He nodded his head. ‘You’re wrong. He was my past.’

“Could we stop talking about other people and focus on us?” Eunhyuk act cheerful and change the topic. “Finish your studies and comeback safely okay?”

He kiss Siwon and bid him goodbye, watch as the car past a strode him. He stands in the middle of the street waving goodbye to him until he can no longer see his car. After a minute he decided to go inside because the weather is getting colder before he make a pace he notice a car park on the street.

What’s queer about it is when the owner notice that he was looking at it the signal light went on and it was heading his way!

Eunhyuk panic and run to the side of the street, he was catching his breath when reach their gate and watch as the car passes him. He can’t be just imagining things that car was really aiming for him!

But what puzzled him most is why the driver wanted to hit him.

After that he became paranoid with passing cars as if all of it might hit him but time went by the paranoia he has subsided since there were no cars hitting him, thinking that it was just some punk who wanted to piss him off.

 

Eunhyuk smile at the costumer who is still choosing what to buy. Sungmin was the one on the counter and he knows how patient his brother is with this kind of things.

While he is busy stacking freshly baked bread on their stall his cellphone rings. Thinking that it is not important he just continue what he was doing until he was distracted again by the ringing.

Sungmin look at him, annoyed by the ringing. “Why don’t you answer it?”

“I will.” He sulks, put down the tray and reach for his phone. He notices that it was an unregistered number.

“Hello.”  He sounded too formal and cold.

“Hello. Is this Mr. Lee? Is this Eunhyuk?”

“Yes it’s me.” It makes him feel weird when someone calls him Mr. Lee.

“I’m from the hospital, your dad meets an accident and he was in bad condition. If you can come to  ---“

Eunhyuk were not able to hear what the other person was saying because he suddenly felt numb and cold. His hands were trembling.

“A-are you sure it’s my dad? It can be other person… this is not a good joke.”

“Sir, I found your number on his wallet. You can come to the hospital if you want to check.”

Eunhyuk glance at Sungmin. He doesn’t know how he is going to say this to his brother. “What hospital?”

“It’s the district hospital in town. We need you to come right away.”

“I’ll be there.” He felt his hands lifeless and almost drop his phone.

Sungmin went to his side when he notices that he went pale.

“What’s wrong?”

“Dad is in the hospital, they were saying he met an accident. I have to go there. Now!” Eunhyuk removes his apron and put his phone on his pocket.

“I’m coming with you!” Sungmin was still in shock

“If you’re coming along we have to close the shop.”

Fro out of the blue Kyuhyun pop up behind Eunhyuk.

“I can man this shop if you want. You go ahead.”

Eunhyuk wanted to protest because they’ll be asking for too much but he has no choice but to leave it to him.

 

They hurried to go to the hospital which is not far from their place. Once they got in there they notice their mother talking to a doctor and she was weeping. They went to her side and listen to what the doctor were saying.

“He was sent in here twenty minutes ago by an ambulance, the people who bought him in were saying he was crossing the street when he was hit by a truck. Some of his ribs were broken including his left leg and the joint in his left knee. He also have some minor trauma on the head. We have to start the operation now to save his life.”

Their mother clings to Sungmin as they listen to the doctor.

“Doctor please proceeds with the operation now.” Eunhyuk knows that at this moment being the oldest son he has to take responsibility for their family.

“Please follow me, to sign some documents.” The doctor left and as Eunhyuk start walking he was stop by his brother who were tugging his arm.

“How are we supposed to pay for the bills?”

“We will manage.” He answered calmly.

“How? I want to know. We don’t have enough saving on the bank.”

“Then we will sell whatever we have!” Eunhyuk answered abruptly.

“You mean the house and the shop?” Sungmin sounded helpless.

“Yes.” Eunhyuk remove his hands from his arm. “Don’t worry everything will be fine.”

Eunhyuk did not wait for his answer and proceed to the doctor’s office to sign documents. At the moment he doesn’t care about the shop or their house. If they have to sell it to save his father he will do so or he can ask a help from someone.

 

They waited outside the operating room for hours. Their mother was still crying saying it was her fault. Sungmin was hugging her and comforting her.

Eunhyuk went to her mother and reach for her hands, he smile. “He will be fine, he’s a strong man.”

“I’m sorry son, it’s my fault.” She touches Eunhyuk’s face.

“No it’s not.”

“Yes it is. We fought this morning. I wanted him to tell you and Sungmin the real status that we have.”

“What do you mean mom?” Sungmin like him is also confused.

“Your father was into gambling, there were big wins and greater loses, as time goes by he become addicted to it that he started selling some of our personal stuff. But he did not stop in there he even went on to lending money for gambling and making our house as the collateral.” Their mom sob even harder as she talks.

They were too shock from what they heard that they can’t say anything.

“This morning we receive a letter from the lender telling us that we only have one month to vacate the house.”

Eunhyuk shut his eyes. This was too much for him!

“Mom you don’t have to worry, we still have the shop remember?” Sungmin tired to cheer her up.

“The building owner sold the place to some rich businessman who will be building a bigger café on the area so we don’t have anything at all. That is why your father was not himself this morning while he was on the street, and I even added to the guilt he have by fighting him this morning.”

Eunhyuk fell as if a big rock was drop on his head. So they don’t have anything now. They will be homeless in a month, jobless and they have no money to pay for his father’s hospital bill.

He watched as his brother hug their mom tightly, they were both crying.

 

He has no other choice but to ask help from him even if he wanted to solve this problem on his own. He reaches for his phone and dialed a number.

He waits for his answer.

The other line is unreachable.

He tried again and again.

Each time he hears that his call were unanswered the more he feels hopeless. He feels as if he was on a quicksand and there is no one around him who can help him. Tears were forming on his eyes.

‘Please Siwon answer the phone! I need you now!’

He tried again but like the others he wasn’t able to call him. Slowly tears were rolling down his cheeks. He don’t know what to do, he don’t know where he can go to ask for help.

 

As he was drying his eyes the doctor emerge from the operating room and told them that the operation was successful and that their dad will be taken to a private room.

They thank the doctor and followed the nurse on the room where their father will be staying. To their surprise they were taken to one of the best room on the hospital.

“Miss, I think you got it wrong. This is not the room we ask for; this room is very expensive we don’t think we can afford it.” Eunhyuk shyly said to the nurse.

“Oh don’t worry about it everything had been settled.”

“What do you mean settled?”

“Someone pay for the hospital bill already and for anything that the patient will need.”

Eunhyuk did not know if he heard her right. “Someone pays our bill?”

The nurse nodded her head.

“Who is it?”

 

“A man named Lee Donghae pays for it.”

 

 

 

A/N when i started this fanfic i never wanted to be so dramatic but as chapters go by i notice how complicated it went on. please leave a comment on what do you think about this chapter^^