Chapter Sixteen

My hips don't lie.

'So how did the stripper behave during the night?' Hyuk asked a rookie.

'Very well, we let him go.'

'What?'

'There was no reason to keep him anylonger.' The guy said.

Hyuk knew that was right but it still pissed him off.

 

Hae was at his destination. He checked the address again. This Taemin guy wasn't really living the crazy life. The apartment building Hae was looking at was one stone away from falling apart. He went up and rang the door bell.

No response.

Again he tried. Suddenly the door adjacent opened up and an old lady came limping out.

Hae smiled sweetly and said good morning. The woman was enchanted. 'Aish such a cutie! Just like Taeminnie! Oh are you waiting for him?'

Hae nodded.

'He's in the hospital.' The woman looked sad. 'He's been in a coma for a week. Such a good and friendly kid. Too nice for this harsh world.' She sniffed.

'What happened to him?'

'I don't know exactly. But some dangerous looking men were here some time ago. They had scary tattoos and such. They yelled at my poor boy. They were very displeased with Taemin. Maybe they were the ones that beat him to a pulp.'

'What hospital is he in?'

The old woman gave Hae all the information.

He bowed deeply and received a pat. 'I'm so blessed, I see so many pretty men.' She sighed and returned to her own apartment.

 

Heechul was back at the police station to pick Hae up. When Hyuk told him the other already left, Heechul's eyes widened.

'This is not good.'

Hyuk didn't understand.

'Hae would never just leave and not contact me. Something is wrong.'

'Maybe you are overprotective, he's a grown man.' Hyuk said.

Heechul just stared at him. 'He's HAE!'

Hyuk gulped. Heechul was so damn scary.

'If anything happens to him, I'm going to get your send to Siberia. Got it, monkey face?!' Heechul screamed and stormed off.

 

Hae stood by the hospital bed of Lee Taemin. The machines that helped the boy breathe, scared him. He could see the bruises all over the pale skin of the other. They were healing but these injuries looked ten times worse than what happened to Heechul. A nurse entered the room.

'Oh, a friend of him?' she asked.

'Sort of.' Hae whispered.

'It looks worse than it is.'  The nurse tried to sooth him.

'He's in a coma.' a tear escaped from Hae's eye. 'Have the police found whoever did this?'

'Oh no, the police said it was gang related so they are not bothering. They are already busy enough.' The nurse stated.

'Gang related?'

'Yup, the beating style is linked to the Moon clan gang.'

'The what?'

'The most dangerous clan, lead by Moon Jaeri, a wacko.'

'Thanks, nurse, please take care of this boy.'

'Oh he'll be moved to a lesser hospital soon since no one is paying the medical bills.'

Hae stared at the unconscious boy. 'I'll pay them.'

The nurse blinked and then smiled softly. 'You are a good person.'

 

Hyuk had fallen asleep on his couch watching some overrated detective movie. He woke up from his slumber because of his doorbell. When he opened the door he was surprised to see Hae there.

'Good evening.' Hae said softly.

'Euh hi.' Hyuk said.

'Can I crash here tonight?'

'What is wrong with your own place?'

'I don't want to be alone right now.'

'Oh.'

Hyuk observed the tired features of the stripper. He had a million questions.

'It's okay if you don't want to.' Hae said and was about to turn around.

Something about his body language and the empty look in his eyes made Hyuk grab the boy's wrist.

'Don't be silly, you can stay here.'

'Thanks, Hyukkie.'

 

Hyuk had made the bed in the guestroom. Hae wasn't in the living room, maybe the bathroom. Hyuk shrugged and went to his own room to find the fish sleeping all cuddly in his bed. Hyuk was about to wake him up and kick him out of his bed when he saw the frown on the other's face. Something was deeply bothering the stripper and it made him look so vulnerable that Hyuk didn't wake him. He quickly texted Heechul that Hae was safe and laid himself next to the other, as far away as possible.

 

Hae woke up in the middle of the night and felt strong arms around him. The scent of strawberries relaxed his senses and he smiled. This was the safest place on earth.