Rich Bastards and Job Hunting

Perfectly Imbalanced

 

 

“You what?”

 

“I said I’m quitting modeling because Kai found me a new job.”

 

Baekhyun dropped his coffee on the table. “Are you kidding?”

 

Luhan sighed and walked to the refrigerator to refill his milk. “Baek, you know the reason why I moved here in Korea was to find a good job. Besides, we need a new source of income. The money we earn in modeling is not enough. We need TV, oven, and whatnot. Plus, this house is so expensive.”

 

“What do you need the TV for?”

 

Luhan closed the refrigerator and turned back to Baekhyun. “For entertainment purposes. Which is why, you, Byun Baekhyun, also need to find a new job, a better new job.”

 

“I do have a job.”

 

“No, you don’t. Modeling is like the part-time job of everything. You don’t even walk in the runway.”

 

Baekhyun crossed his arms and leaned on the counter. “It’s still a job.”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes and walked closer. “Come on Baek, you graduated Law for Christ’s sake. You’re gonna let Chanyeol who graduated in a normal university here in Korea to have all the money when you graduated from Harvard? You’re practically over-qualified. You send in your resume, companies are going to kill each other to get you.”

 

“You know the reason I ran away was to leave all of those behind. Look, the Baekhyun you see in front of you right now is not the Baekhyun who graduated from Harvard. Is that too hard?”

 

Luhan sighed in defeat. “You’re impossible. Well, at least find something that will suit your taste…except for modeling.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like being an editor, writer, manager, anything.” Luhan shrugged. “Just know this… we are in desperate need of money.”

 

Wow that actually scared Baekhyun.

 

A car horn startled them both and they peak from the window. “Oh, that’s Kai.” Luhan said while walking to the living room. Baekhyun immediately followed. “We’re going to that university for my internship.”

 

“Well…good luck.”

 

Luhan grabbed his coat and opened the door. “Remember what I said Baek! I’ll call you later!”

 

Baekhyun watched as Luhan disappear behind the calendar and sticky notes. He sighed heavily.

 

Not that he was feeling alone or something. But to be honest, the silence is deafening. They do need a TV.

 

He grabbed his coffee and the newspapers with him as he settled on the couch—of course still in his pajamas—and started scanning the job advertisements. He hasn’t even started yet and his head is already aching. Screw Luhan.

 

He left the piled newspapers and proceeded to his bedroom to wash.

 

--

 

Whoever said that job hunting is fun should die right now.

 

Wearing his favorite leather jacket, white pants and boots (what? Boots are a must), Baekhyun started his search at the nearest openings. To be honest, he doesn’t really know what he likes other than his job—part-time job—well all he does is stand and pose and smile and voila, money. Don’t make him talk or you’ll go home crying. Don’t make him write or your nose will bleed. Basically, a job he wants is the kind where he’ll just sit there and do nothing and by the end of the day, he’s get enough money to buy Luhan’s TV.

 

Of course it doesn’t work that way.

 

So now he’s sitting here, trying to determine whether the secretary is on drugs. “Excuse me?” He asked with an attitude.

 

“I said there are no more openings for the job.”

 

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Honey, there’s an advertisement on the newspaper saying you need an editor. Are you blind or what?”

 

“Technically, yes, but we have already selected a few who are qualified.”

 

Baekhyun gasped. “Those people who came in before me? Girl, the first was a hobo. The second doesn’t even know the difference between a white chocolate and a dark chocolate. The third one uses a pager. A pager for Christ’s sake. And you tell me they are qualified but not me?”

 

“Sir, I didn’t say you weren’t qualified.”

 

“Then why am I not allowed in there?” Baekhyun asked while pointing at the office.

 

“There are things that are just not meant for you.” The secretary answered with a sad mocking smile.

 

Now, where did I hear that before?

 

Baekhyun dropped his hand. “Fine! Let a hobo edit your paper then!”

 

Obviously, that didn’t go well.

 

He went to his second stop. A restaurant near their subdivision. To be honest, he never really imagined himself working in a restaurant, serving people and because he’d rather be the one to be served. So at the moment he witnessed how the boss order his people around, he ran outside.

 

Guys, you don’t want him to punch his boss and break his nose. He was a douche.

 

He went to his next destination, a dance theatre. What? He’s convinced he can dance. When he got inside, he saw tutus. His jaw dropped and immediately ran away before Swan Lake finds him. Well, another ex.

 

He sighed, wondering if he could ever find a job at this rate.

 

He went to another magazine company. Well, because yeah, deep inside he does want to write and criticize people.

 

“Mr. Byun Baekhyun?” The secretary—surprisingly, a friendlier one—called from the office. He immediately stood up and went inside for the interview.

 

Okay, he expected to see an older man with a beard.

 

“Hi, Mr. Byun? Good morning.”

 

“Uh. Good morning…Mr. Kim.” Baekhyun replied and sat down on the chair in front of the desk.

 

“So, why do you want this job?”

 

“Well, I like writing and observing people. My friends tell me that I criticize reasonably. I can speak fluent English too.”

 

“That is important because?”

 

“Because I can explore outside the barriers as well. You know, things from other countries not just Korea.”

 

Mr. Kim nodded. “Where did you graduate from?”

 

“…graduate from?”

 

“Come on, if we’re going to hire you, you should at least have an impressive background. You didn’t even bring your resume nor scheduled an interview. You just showed up and asked for one. But since you’re cute—“

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“—we made an exception. Plus, you’re name kinda sound familiar. I’m sure I’ve heard it before.”

 

Yeah, ever heard of a 30 year-old trying to flirt with a 20-year-old?

 

“So…where did you graduate from?”

 

You’re lucky I desperately needed this.

 

“Harvard.”

 

Mr. Kim gasped. “No way.”

 

“Yes way.”

 

A knock interrupted their conversation, which, deep inside, is Baekhyun actually thankful for. “Mr. Kim, your meeting?” The secretary reminded.

 

“Ah, yes, yes.” Mr. Kim turned to Baekhyun. “I have to go and you’ll probably be hired anyway but just in case, we’ll contact you about other details. Just leave your phone number to my secretary. Nice meeting you Byun Baekhyun and I look forward to more meetings.”

 

Baekhyun stood up and shook hands with him. “Great. Nice meeting you too.”

 

Afterwards, Baekhyun left his phone number with a strict reminder, of course, to not expose it because he doesn’t want those people who kept staring on his to call and hit on him.

 

--

 

“I don’t get it.” Luhan said while shaking his head, sitting comfortable on the passenger’s seat. “What are you made up of? Or what did God made you up of?”

 

“I have a feeling I’m about to hear something flattering.”

 

“Yeah, you’re smart, you have a stable job and you’re handsome too…except you’re a jerk.”

 

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear anything after handsome.” Kai replied with a grin. “But I’m trying to be nicer you know.”

 

Luhan chuckled.  “Which is why I’m wondering. What made you to be nicer, as you put it? I know something’s up.”

 

“If I tell you, you’d freak out.”

 

“Come on, I’ve freaked out enough through the course of my life with Baekhyun. You can tell me anything. We’ve been on Skype for years. We’re practically each other’s diaries.”

 

“Yeah makes me wonder why I didn’t date you.”

 

“That would be gross.”

 

“I know.” Kai chuckled and nodded. “Plus, you’d have enough things to blackmail me with if ever I cheat on you.”

 

“Please, never in my life would I date you. You and your family are made up of jerks to begin with. I still feel sorry for your aunt who killed herself because her husband would rather spend time with someone who’s sick and dying so she wanted to be dying as well which, no offense, is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard of. Rest in peace.”

 

“Come on, my mom’s been chanting stupid like a mantra in connection to her.” Kai replied while sitting the wheel to turn left. “So, you wouldn’t date me but you would rather date Sehun, who, for the record, is my brother and according to you, our family is made up of jerks?”

 

“We’re not dating.”

 

“I didn’t say you were. I only asked.” Kai shrugged with a playful grin.

 

“I know what you’re trying to do.” Luhan pointed a finger in accusation. “There’s nothing going on, okay? And you, you’re trying to change the subject. Speak up!”

 

“You’re smart. You’ll figure it out.”

 

“Kai!”

 

“Oh look, we’re here!”

 

Luhan groaned, in which Kai only replied with a laugh while pulling over.

 

--

 

Baekhyun decided to take a rest inside a coffee shop—after throwing the newspapers on the garbage of course since he figured he doesn’t need them anymore expecting that he’ll start working in a fashion magazine soon.

 

He fiddled with his spoon while spacing out when a familiar voice snapped him back. “Baekhyun?”

 

He looked up to see noodle head staring down at him.

 

Wow, sorry if you’re too tall.

 

“What are you doing in a coffee shop not for CEOs?” Baekhyun asked, watching as Chanyeol takes a set.

 

“Well, for the record, I don’t really like living my life with bling blings all the time. I always go to places that CEOs don’t go to. It’s to unwind myself, you know. Away from all the pressure of being a Park.”

 

Baekhyun snorted. “You’re lucky you’re a Park. You don’t have to worry about money.”

 

Chanyeol tilted his head in confusion. “What’s wrong?”

 

Baekhyun heaved a loud sigh. “Well, Luhan wants a TV. Yeah, I want one too. And an oven. And probably heater too. But we don’t earn enough money. And now Luhan found a new job while I’m stuck here trying to find a better job.”

 

Chanyeol bit his lip. Something inside of him wants to help in the most legal and proper way but it’s not entirely possible when you have something not legal and proper. “I can help. My offer’s still up.” It took Baekhyun a moment to realize what he was talking about and when he did, he groaned. “Come on, it’s not like you can run away from Baekhee forever. My mom’s going to start looking for you. The media won’t shut up. Sooner or later, there will be circumstances that will force you to wear a dress.”

 

“Well, I’m not the one who’s going to be screwed up but you.”

 

“Can your conscience take that?” Baekhyun paused. “You’re the one who showed up in a motorbike and called me babe.” Chanyeol continued in all seriousness.

 

“Well…sorry to break it to you but I’ve already found a job.” Baekhyun said and stood up. “Now, if you’ll excuse me.”

 

--

 

Luhan looked around the hallway with his mouth wide open.

 

“Luhan, if you don’t close your mouth I swear a ’s going to fall inside.”

 

Luhan closed his mouth in disgust. “Did you have to?”

 

“What? There are no lizards here.” Kai shrugged and chuckled.

 

The stop in front of a classroom, which in Luhan’s opinion, looks more like a hotel room judging from the structure and design of the door. They already met the Dean earlier inside his office and some other stuff too and one of the things that made Luhan excited to work as an intern in the university was because of the perks; free meals, airconditioned faculty and staff rooms provided with the faculty’s lounge which had various entertainments in it. He was so thankful he can never get pregnant.

 

“You ready? You’re going to meet your students now.” Kai asked, holding the doorknob.

 

Luhan nodded anxiously.

 

When Kai opened the door, they came face to face with another teacher who was in charge of introducing Luhan.

 

“Okay class, listen up, this person here is your new intern.”

 

Luhan flashed a big smile on them. “Hi, I’m Xi Luhan, you’re new intern.”

 

The students gaped at him in return.

 

The teacher laughed awkwardly. “Well, I hope his face can shut you up and make you start studying because you’re slacking off is not highly appreciated in this university.”

 

No response.

 

“Well then, I’ll leave them to you.” The teacher said and walked away, greeting Kai who was standing by the door before turning to leave.

 

“Excuse me, are you Chinese?” One of the girls—the dumb blonde type—asked.

 

“No, I’m Korean. Pretty obvious with my name, isn’t it?”

 

“Ohhh, I like him!” One of the girls yelled while the blonde gasped in embarrassment.

 

Luhan chuckled and turned to Kai when he saw a very familiar face stumbling through the door. “Sehun?”

 

“Luhan?!”

 

“What are you doing here?!” They yelled in unison, eyes equally widened in shock.

 

--

 

Baekhyun settled on a bench near a park—well after throwing several Guccis on the fountain because es just won’t stop ing on him—hand and ears occupied with a phone call from Luhan. “So, how’s the internship going?”

 

“This has to be the most problematic job Kai gave me.”

 

“Why?”

 

“College is problem, okay?” Luhan answered, although it was quite obvious that the problem was Sehun and Sehun himself…not to generalize all college students of course. “What about you?”

 

“Oh, you wouldn’t believe this but I think I actually landed a job!”

 

“Wow, really? That’s amazing Baek!”

 

“Yeah, in this fashion magazine and this time I’m not a model but a writer!”

 

Luhan squealed in delight from the other line. “I’m so proud of you!”

 

“Well, they haven’t called me yet but I’m from Harvard, what else do you expect? I didn’t even graduate since I ran away before I can but it’s Harvard anyway.”

 

“I told you it’s going to help.”

 

A loud beep came in. “Oh wait, someone’s calling. Maybe this is it!” Baekhyun said and took the call. “Hello?”

 

“Um, Byun Baekhyun? I’m a representative from Inside fashion magazine.”

 

“Did I get the job?”

 

“Um…for the record, you had impressive background. We had it checked. But we can’t hire you, I’m sorry.”

 

“What? Why not?”

 

The representative took moments before replying. “There are things that are just not meant for you.”

 

Once is okay but twice? Now this is weird.

 

He dropped the call and unheld Luhan. “Baek? How did it go? Did you get it?”

 

“I didn’t.”

 

“What?! Why?!”

 

“I don’t know, it was okay. But then it suddenly it wasn’t. And they kept saying this phrase that I’ve heard before—oh my God.”

 

“What? What is it?”

 

“My father’s totally cutting me off!” Baekhyun said with a loud groan. “Remember when he cut my funds and my cards? He’s doing it to all the job openings here in Korea!”

 

“Why would he do that?”

 

“Because he gave me a choice before I left! And he told me ‘Alright, then you’re on this alone. There are things that are just not meant for you.’ Seriously!”

 

“Then why didn’t he cut you off Homme Fatale?”

 

“It’s a fashion magazine. I don’t think he’s ever heard of it.”

 

“Not to upset you even more Baek but…didn’t Chanyeol’s mom get interviewed? I mean your family and Park Industries are in the same line of business…your father have probably heard of it. And your face’s all over the magazine. You even have a 5-page spread.”

 

Baekhyun exhaled deeply. “Oh no…”

 

“Well, I might be wrong. You will have to go to the studio yourself.”

 

“Right. I’ll call you later.”

 

--

 

Luhan glared at Kai the moment his phone call to Baekhyun ended. Okay, he admits, he did get side-tracked. But now he’s back on business.

 

“Kai, why didn’t you tell me Sehun’s a student here?”

 

“Why is it a problem? It’s not like you’re dating.”

 

“We are not dating!”

 

“That’s what I said.”

 

“My point is, the other students will think that I’m going to be biased over him. We practically know each other.”

 

“Why would you be biased over him? It’s not like you like him and he likes you. Right?”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes. “You are seriously giving me a headache.”

 

--

 

Baekhyun entered the studio just in time the shoot has finished. And as if on cue, the Director appeared somewhere he’s visible that they saw each other. “Baekhyun! Hi, what are you doing here?”

 

“I thought I’d come by.”

 

“Well, I’m glad you did. I was actually going to call you to tell you something but since you’re here…um…look, you’ve worked here for half a year already and it’s inevitable that you are one of our best models in here. You bring out the gayness of our male readers—“

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Alright, save the drama. I’m fired aren’t I?”

 

The Director nodded. “But know this, we would never fire you, but then—“

 

“I know. You don’t have to tell me the reason why.” Baekhyun flashed a fake smile and turned to leave. “Oh and for the record, Luhan’s quitting.”

 

Now we’re fair. Hohohoho.

 

Not exactly, since he’s jobless.

 

He stood in front of the studio, observing the people passing by, people who have jobs. And look at him, jobless. He ran away for a reason, to have the life he thinks he deserved, not this. And it frustrated him so much that his father just might have it easier than he does. All he does is make one phone call and he wins. But Baekhyun has to struggle to actually win.

 

He’s jobless.

 

Jobless.

 

What the hell.

 

And he’s back at the bench, listening to the people around him than thinking of how to solve his problems.

 

Not really productive, I must say.

 

“I wonder who Baekhee really is. Netizens didn’t find any pictures of her before Park Chanyeol introduced her or something.”

 

“Yeah, it’s like they were wiped out or something. But she’s really pretty.”

 

“She is, isn’t she? Maybe, Chanyeol did wipe them out as part of his big revelation or something? Their engagement maybe?”

 

“I hope so! They look really cute together!”

 

God, is this a sign? Because I can clearly see it.

 

Really.

 

You don’t have to go to so much trouble.

 

--

 

“I just don’t get it.” Chanyeol said over the phone, walking around his house trying to kill boredom with an apple on one hand. “I mean, I’m attractive aren’t I? Why won’t he just agree to become my fiancé? Or rather, pretend?”

 

“Well, you are attractive but that noodle hair is just…no.”

 

“I offered him some money since he said he’s having financial problems but he said he already found a job so I guess money’s out of the picture.” Chanyeol shrugged. “I just wished he liked me, you know.”

 

“You did get off the wrong foot.”

 

“This isn’t just about the whole fiancé thing. You told me to find someone I really like and it’s starting to be him. But yeah, we had a bad start so I don’t think this is going to end well.”

 

Sehun snorted. “You actually sounded affected. I’m proud of you.”

 

“My mother’s going to kill me if I tell her that Baekhee walked out on me or something—“ The doorbell cut him off so he walked to the door to answer. “Or other reasons—“ Chanyeol stopped the moment he opened the door and found Baekhyun standing in front of him.

 

Baekhyun.

 

It’s actually Baekhyun.

 

“Uh, hi,” Baekhyun greeted awkwardly. “Is the offer still up?”

 

Chanyeol ended the call and dropped his hand, welcoming Baekhyun with a smile.

 

Well, maybe it is a productive day after all.

 

--

 

Baekhyun sighed after he found himself standing in between a mountain of garbage. Chanyeol was an idiot.

 

“The last time I was here, this place was bad enough. Now it’s even worse.” Baekhyun said, hand on his hips.

 

“Well, I don’t exactly have anyone to clean for me.”

 

“What about yourself? You could’ve just cleaned yourself.” Baekhyun replied while picking up the stashes of weird unidentified objects on the floor and under the couch then threw it inside one of the garbage bags. Afterwards, he decided to take his boots and leather jacket off.

 

“Uh, Baekhyun, what are you doing?” Chanyeol asked while awkwardly walking behind Baekhyun—awkwardly because he’s trying too hard to look away from Baekhyun’s .

 

“State the obvious.” Baekhyun replied, not even sparing a glance on him. After he successfully cleared one spot of the floor, he threw the garbage bag to Chanyeol, startling the giant. “Throw them out. After you’re done, can you please get your cleaning materials? You seriously have to learn how to clean.”

 

Chanyeol smiled sheepishly. “Okay! Sure!”

 

So, someone’s on cleaning duty.

 

Baekhyun took out a pair of used socks, with pizzas inside and flies flying around. “OH MY GOD THIS PLACE IS GARBAGE!” He yelled and immediately threw the socks way.

 

“Yep! I know that! Thank you very much.” Chanyeol replied from outside.

 

--

 

Luhan scurried through the crowd of over-dressed university students, trying hard to blend in, in attempt to avoid a certain Oh Sehun who’s running like a monster trying to salvage him but unfortunately, the blending in just doesn’t work if your blonde hair sticks out everywhere.

 

Luhan can feel Sehun inches behind him and just hates it when he’s right. “Luhan!” Sehun called while grabbing Luhan by the arm.

 

“What are you doing? There’s a teacher walking around.”

 

“There’s a coffee shop to the left and I’m pretty sure the teacher would walk straight.”

 

Luhan pulled his arm back but to no avail. “Let me go.”

 

Sehun smirked. “Coffee shop to the left.”

 

Luhan groaned and started walking to the left.

 

He doesn’t really have any choice.

 

He likes the university.

 

And he wasn’t going to let Sehun take it away.

 

Or distract him.

 

Or whatever.

 

Luhan took a seat on the farthest table, ignoring the weird looks Sehun has been giving. Well, it wasn’t just the farthest but it was also near the comfort room. Ha.

 

“What? Stop looking at me like that.” Luhan said while picking up the menu.

 

“Have you ever asked yourself why nobody sits in the corner? Near the comfort room?”

 

Luhan dropped the menu and sighed, exasperated. “Look, we can’t be seen together. I’m your intern and you’re my student, is that hard to process?”

 

“Let me rephrase that. You’re my intern, I’m your student who happens to be Kai’s brother, who is the Vice President of Park Industries, and the best friend of the Park Chanyeol, CEO of the Park Industries.” Sehun leaned on his sight with a bragging smile painted on his face. “It won’t be a problem. If anything, they’ll start treating you like a King in the faculty room. I’ll bet on it.”

 

Stupid rich bastards and their stupid perks.

 

“I don’t really appreciate your bashfulness, Oh Sehun. I don’t care about how rich you are. There are people who are not like you, who are like me, working their asses off, betting on luck and coins for the sake of a successful career. I want to do this on my own and I don’t want your name anywhere near it. Now, it’s either you stop using your name all the time or you actually do something on your own. But you’ve never tried, did you? Because all you do is eat up all of your families’ achievements.”

 

Sehun stared speechless. Clearly, the lecture was spontaneous and uncalled for. But you can’t stop Luhan and his words of wisdom. Not even Baekhyun’s tantrums can beat the pants off of that.

 

Luhan stood up and walked away.

 

Poor Sehun. Nobody told him about the barriers between an undergraduate and an intern.

 

Or a rich and a commoner.

 

--

 

Baekhyun dropped on the couch, panting heavily. He’s cleared up the living room, the kitchen and the bathroom and let him tell you the difference between him and janitors. Janitors get paid. He doesn’t. So this was clearly a charity work that drowns all your energy while the bacteria crawl up to your body. And don’t even start with the certain Park Chanyeol. Even the name gives him headaches.

 

Baekhyun winced at the sound of glass breaking from the kitchen. “PARK CHANYEOL GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!”

 

“I was just trying to—“

 

“I SAID GET OUT! I WON’T LET YOU RUIN ANYTHING ANYMORE!”

 

Baekhyun felt Chanyeol behind him. “Sorry…I was just going to get you a glass of water since you looked so tired and you can use one but I think I got blinded at how clean my kitchen is.”

 

Baekhyun turned to see him.

 

Psh. Noodle head.

 

“I’m wondering why you never cleaned.”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “I don’t know how to. My mother won’t let me have a maid.”

 

“I mean, what’s so hard in grabbing a broom and sweeping the floor?”

 

“Well, what do I do after I swept the floor?”

 

Baekhyun gaped incredulously. “Are you serious?” Chanyeol nodded hesitantly. “You get the dust pan and throw it on the garbage! You seriously don’t know anything about cleaning?”

 

Chanyeol shook his head.

 

Baekhyun decided to ignore him and rolled his eyes. Noticing the piled laundries on the floor, he sighed heavily. Another work. “Never mind. Let’s just get rid of your clothes.”

 

Baekhyun stood up and started carrying two bags while Chanyeol followed and carried the rest. They went inside the laundry room, surprising Baekhyun at how clean it is. A great reminder that he’s never been inside the room. They dropped the bags on the floor and Baekhyun checked the laundry machine.

 

“I can’t believe you have so many unwashed clothes. Don’t tell me you’ve never washed your clothes before?” Baekhyun said while plugging the machine and then opened the lid. When he didn’t get a reply, he turned to Chanyeol and saw him smiling like an idiot. “Wow, you’re more of an idiot than I thought you would be.”

 

“For the record, my mom never allowed me to have a maid.”

 

“That’s because you’re grown up!” Baekhyun replied while throwing the clothes inside the drum.

 

“Well, before I was all grown up, my mom never let me do the chores because we have a maid.”

 

Baekhyun paused, eyebrows crooked in confusion.

 

“See the logic? Nothing.” Chanyeol said and started helping Baekhyun in throwing his clothes inside the drum.

 

“True.” Baekhyun shrugged then walked to the cabinets to look for the detergent. He cursed silently when he found it lying at the topmost part.

 

you, cabinet.

 

He grabbed a chair, unknowingly placed it on top of some clothes scattered on the floor, and stepped on it to reach the detergent. Meanwhile, Chanyeol was busy pulling random clothes and throwing it inside the drum that he pulled one stuck under Baekhyun’s chair, causing the chair to move, catching Baekhyun off guard that he fell to the floor with a loud thud.

 

“Ow…”

 

And a loud groan from Chanyeol. He looked up and noticed that his knee landed on Chanyeol’s stomach.

 

Bull’s eyes babeh.

 

He immediately jumped off the giant with an apologetic look. “Chanyeol! I’m sorry! Are you okay?!”

 

Chanyeol squinted in pain while slowly rolling to the side, hands clutching his stomach while crouching. “Yeah…I’m fine…I think…”

 

Baekhyun bit his lip, feeling guilty. “Hey it wasn’t that painful right?”

 

Chanyeol glared at him. “Do you want to try?”

 

Baekhyun shook his head and decided to look for the detergent the fell down with him. He saw it behind him and grabbed it immediately. As if on cue, he heard his phone ringing from the living room. The two looked at each other. “Is that my phone?” Baekhyun asked, stating the obvious.

 

Chanyeol nodded while trying hard to sit back up. Then he felt Baekhyun pushing the box of detergent to his chest. He unconsciously held it, touching Baekhyun’s soft hands accidentally. “Here. I have to take the call.” Baekhyun said and walked pass by him.

 

“Wait! What am I going to do with this?”

 

“After you put in the clothes, you pour the detergent on the drum and turn the machine on!” Baekhyun yelled while slowly disappearing to the living room. Chanyeol looked around, spacing out a bit before getting back to work.

 

He can handle this.

 

Yeah sure he can.

 

--

 

“Hey, what’s up B?” Luhan asked, taking the last cents of change from purchasing bubble tea.

 

“Wow, you must really be hiding something from me.”

 

“What?”

 

“Lulu, we’ve been friends since he-who-must-not-be-named cheated on both of us and you call when you have something to tell me not ask how I’m doing. You did this earlier and you did it again now.”

 

“B, I’m pretty sure you’re just paranoid.” Luhan replied, obviously—to himself— in a state of denial.

 

“Oh please, you know I’m not.”

 

Luhan shook his head. “So tell me.”

 

“I’m jobless.” Baekhyun started. “But, fear not, I have found a pretty decent job…if I’m allowed to call it that. In someone’s language, it’s a favor with a bit of money involved. It requires less energy and more acting, more -shaking and…dresses.”

 

“Baek.”

 

“What? It’s not like my dad’s going to find out about this because that would be really creepy.”

 

Luhan stopped and sighed heavily. “Can’t we just trade our level of education?”

 

“I’d love to. But sadly, I don’t like internships, college students and universities. By the way, you still didn’t give me details about your first day.”

 

“I’ll tell you at dinner tonight. Is it my turn?”

 

“It’s mine…and yesterday and the other day too. Just accept that you can’t cook.” Baekhyun said with a light giggle. “Oh and at Chanyeol’s.”

 

Luhan smirked while taking a last sip from the bubble tea.

 

--

 

Baekhyun hung up the phone just in time he heard and saw a certain car pulling over behind Chanyeol’s and a certain noodle-ish head popped out from inside.

 

Oh .

 

He hurried inside, running as fast as he can so Mrs. Park doesn’t see him and went back to the laundry room, where, in the most unexplainable way, is covered with bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles.

 

“WHAT THE HELL?!” Baekhyun immediately shut his mouth after yelling. Chanyeol’s noodle head popped out from the sea of bubbles immediately, displaying an apologetic yet idiotic smile.

 

So Park Chanyeol—the only explanation you need.

 

“Baekhyun, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to I did what you said and suddenly it started popping and then—“

 

“Okay shh! We don’t have time for this! Your mom’s here!”

 

“What—“

 

“CHANNIE?”

 

Their eyes widened at the familiar call. “Stay here.” Chanyeol said while walking out of the room.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t really have a choice.

 

“Channie—oh,”

 

“Hey mom!”

 

“What in the world? Honey, what happened to you?” Mrs. Park asked while scanning Chanyeol from head to toe and back.

 

“I…cleaned, mom.”

 

“Oh, so that’s why your place looks brighter.” Mrs. Park said while lifting her arms. It was then Chanyeol noticed the line of designer brand name bags lined up in her mother’s arms.

 

“Mom, what are those?”

 

“Oh! These are gifts are for Baekhee! Speaking of the angel, where is she?”

 

“B-Baekhee?” Chanyeol stuttered. “Why would she be here?”

 

Mrs. Park rolled her eyes. “Honey, she’s your girlfriend and soon-to-be fiancé, she should be living here with you.”

 

“Uh…yeah! She’ll move in after a few days actually. She’s just…taking care of things in her house.” Chanyeol made a mental self-praise for coming up with a proper excuse with less stuttering.

 

“Oh, is that so? That’s a shame.” Mrs. Park placed the bags on the floor with a frown. “By the way, I haven’t met her parents yet. Where’s her hometown again? You did say she isn’t from Seoul but only came here to find a job which she quit because you didn’t want her to work. I should send her family some gifts.” Mrs. Park started to type numbers on her phone.

 

“Mom—“

 

“Let’s see…a whole year supply of Darjeeling tea, the latest edition of our gadgets which includes—“

 

“Mom! Her family’s dead.”

 

Mrs. Park gasped.

 

“I-I mean her parents are dead.”

 

Mrs. Park placed her hand on her chest for a dramatic gesture. “You mean both of them?” Chanyeol nodded. “Well she must have other relatives. We can’t let the poor girl walk down the aisle by herself.”

 

Does she?

 

I don’t even know.

 

“Uh…you know what, I’ll talk to her.”

 

“Well talk to her now!”

 

Chanyeol choked on humid air. “N-now?”

 

“Yes, you know I wouldn’t be able to relax when things like this doesn’t get resolved as soon as possible.”

 

“But she’s not here.”

 

“Honey, use your brain. What’s the use of phones? And you’re supposed to be the CEO.”

 

Right. Except I don’t have her number.

 

And she’s inside the laundry room, swimming in the sea of bubbles.

 

Probably eavesdropping too.

 

While thinking of a way to give me a silent death.

 

Chanyeol exhaled deeply. “Right.”

 

The fact that his mother was giving him her usual you-should-do-this-for-me-because-I’m-your-mother and don’t-lie look multiplies the pressure by ten folds. Okay, maybe not much. So let’s press Sehun’s name.

 

“Hey, what’s up dude?”

 

“Hey babe.”

 

Okay that might have sounded so wrong.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Yeah, I know you’re pretty busy with the whole moving in and all but I just want to ask if you have relatives we can…probably contact? I mean, I know your parents dead but my mother insists that you walk down the aisle with a relative.”

 

“Dude, my parents are alive.”

 

“Great! So when can we meet them?”

 

The sudden long pause gave Chanyeol the idea that Sehun finally understood what was happening. Plus the snort which is an indication that this was extremely ridiculous yet amusing.

 

“Aww, I’m afraid you can’t meet them yet babe. They’re at Paris, playing with each other’s tongues and shoving onto each other’s holes while —“

 

“Oh, they’re out of town? That’s too bad.” Chanyeol saw her mother frown. “So when will they be back?”

 

“Once they’re satisfied which will probably take a long time, well, because you know them, one is not enough. Plus, they’re like vampires, they bite and drink all day. Except, it’s not blood, it’s sem—“

 

“Okay! Next week! Perfect!” Chanyeol said before Sehun can even finish. “Alright babe, I’ll see you next week. I love you. Bye.”

 

“ love you t—“ Chanyeol finally hung up, smiling at his mother to hide the disgust.

 

“Well, that went well. You’re lucky next week the estate is all ours and your sister is coming home. I am going to organize dinner so we can all meet each other. How does that sound?” Mrs. Park said enthusiastically.

 

“Great, mom. That’s…perfect.”

 

No, but really, it’s not.

 

“I know. Well, now that it’s settled, I’m gonna go and start organizing.” Mrs. Park then gave Chanyeol a loving peck on the cheeks. Then Chanyeol walked her mother to the gate where her driver was waiting. “I’ll see you next week, Channie!”

 

Once his mother was gone, Chanyeol immediately ran back to the laundry room and found Baekhyun curled up at the corner, shivering slightly. “Are you okay?”

 

“I’d have you know I’m not really good with the cold.”

 

Chanyeol looked around and noticed the bubbles minimized and the water on the floor is slowly draining. “I’m sorry I took so long. You know how my mother is.”

 

“Absolutely.” Baekhyun said sarcastically.

 

“Come on, let’s get out.” Chanyeol inquired and pulled Baekhyun up, feeling how cold his hands were—and how soft. He ended up unconsciously squeezing it, probably a habit he acquired when he was a child whenever his mother is sick, and couldn’t be more satisfied that Baekhyun didn’t pull his hand back, not even slap him.

 

Of course he’d never know Baekhyun actually liked the heat.

 

They reached the living room. Baekhyun slowly walked to the couch and grabbed a blanket to wrap around him while making himself comfortable. Chanyeol came back from the kitchen with a hot compress and Baekhyun couldn’t help but laugh. “What? It doesn’t work for sick people only.” Chanyeol defended.

 

“You could at least turn up the heater.”

 

“I don’t really have a heater.”

 

“Oh.” Baekhyun ended up taking the hot compress, squeezing it between his hands. “Chanyeol, when you told me earlier that you took care of my background and whatnot, what exactly did you put?”

 

“Well, for starters, you’re from Damyong…probably Samchijeon.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled. “I’m actually born in Seoul, moved and came back.”

 

“Well I didn’t know. And…that you came here to find work. Oh and you graduated at our school since it’d be easier to manipulate the teachers there and make fake diplomas and records and et cetera.”

 

“What course did I graduate from actually?”

 

“Medical Technology.” Chanyeol snorted.

 

Baekhyun’s jaw dropped and started laughing. “That wasn’t even in the list of my choices!”

 

“And that makes this more exciting.”

 

“And ridiculous.”

 

“Yes, ridiculous.”

 

“And then what?”

 

Chanyeol paused, hesitating a bit but figured that Baekhyun probably wouldn’t mind…even more so care. “That you quit your work since you’re going to be my fiancé and I won’t let you work because…because I want to be the one to take care of you, give you everything you want, make you happy and stay here and just make me food and…greet me when I get home.”

 

Baekhyun found himself staring straight into his eyes, probably trying to search for truth. Was it real? It sounded so real. And at the back of his mind he wanted it to be. That there wasn’t a deal in the first place. That he belonged here because honestly, he never felt what it’s like to belong and to be wanted. But of course, it wasn’t probably supposed to be that way.

 

“Wow,” Baekhyun breathed. “You’re good…that almost sounded so real.”

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat awkwardly. “Y-yeah…I know right.”

 

They heard the gate open outside so Baekhyun immediately stood up. “That must be Luhan!”

 

Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun run to the door, greeting Luhan with a big warm smile, finding himself trapped at the sight that made his heart beat like mad.

 

And he was sure about his feelings.

 

Because what he said earlier came from his heart.

 

Something Baekhyun would never know.

 

Something he’d never tell.

 

As sure as he thinks he is, he can’t help but feel confused about a certain thing.

 

Does he need Baekhyun or does he want him?

 

 


 

 

is this long enough? >.>

So sorry for the slow update (is it?), I've been occupied with watching Gossip Girl lately (notice how Luhan called Baekhyun "B").

And I'm travelling around this week, thank God this place has a Wi-fi. 

Anyway, I hope you like this update. It took me 12 episodes of GG and 5 movies to finish this. /sobs

and my lovely subbies, thank you and i love you all <3 feel my love <3

- gelie

i have no words for this. LOL