Despicable B

Perfectly Imbalanced

 


 

 

“Sorry.”

 

Uh.

 

This is like déjà vu.

 

The only difference is…

 

“You’re apologizing?” Luhan asked.

 

It’s Sehun who’s apologizing this time.

 

Sehun took a sit beside him on the sink. “For what I did earlier…you know…when I bumped into you…and for…that too,” He gestured on the paint on his head. “You should just dye it or something.”

 

“I guess I should dye it back to black?” Luhan shrugged. “So…I figured I should start explaining myself about…what happened back in Chanyeol’s house?”

 

“Yeah, days ago,” Sehun chuckled. “You finally realized you were jealous?”

 

“I’m not jealous! I was scared…I guess. It’s all about Baekhyun.”

 

“Ah, Baekhyunnie hyung,”

 

Luhan smiled. “You two seem to really like each other.”

 

“Yeah, I like him. I’d rather have him as a brother than Kai.”

 

Luhan cleared his throat. “So…anyway, it all changed now, you seem to have to. I figured I can’t keep judging people like that. I’d miss the other beautiful things the world has to offer.” He clicked his tongue. “So, what about Kai?”

 

“Kai? He’s fine.”

 

“No, I mean your relationship with him. You told me at Chanyeol’s house remember? If I have ever wondered why I never knew about you given that Kai’s my friend? To tell you the truth, I wasn’t that bothered. I’m not really the nosy type but after hearing your conversation with your parents earlier…sorry about that…I’m kind of curious now.”

 

“Yeah well, since you’ve heard, you probably have an idea of my issues and there’s no use hiding,”

 

“I guess,”

 

Sehun looked up at the ceiling, tracing the little cracks caused by mild earthquakes here and then. “One of us is adopted,”

 

Okay, he did not see that coming.

 

Luhan fell speechless.

 

“It’s not me,” Sehun continued.

 

Luhan gulped. So it’s Kai. But…how?

 

“Hey, when did you last see him?”

 

“Th-three years ago,” Luhan stuttered.

 

“Yeah, he moved in around that time.” Sehun tilted his head. “I really didn’t care at first until recently when you made me realize what has changed. All my life, ever since I was a kid, I was preparing for the day my parents would be proud of me given that I’m the only child. I was good at everything. Sports, academics, arts…everything. But then he came and I knew he was better than me. He was a better soccer player, better at Algebra, a better dancer…can you believe that?”

 

Luhan turned to Sehun whose head remained facing up, like he was trying to avoid something.

 

“I mean…in a blink of eye, everything that I worked hard for was gone. I knew he would take my place. I knew that so I started not to care. I skipped classes, used my name as an excuse, spend my parents’ money, I mean, what’s the use? My grandfather’s company won’t be given to me anyway since he’s around.”

 

Luhan slapped himself mentally. If this was what’s going on Sehun’s mind, he shouldn’t have judged him or something. He’s got it worse than him. He even said those things at Chanyeol’s house. Oh god. How terrible.

 

Sehun thinks Luhan finally woke up from his guilt.

 

“Well, I don’t hate him or anything. I’m not that kind of jerk.” Sehun added. “I just have to think of something to make my parent’s prouder than how proud they are with Kai.”

 

Luhan finally realizes that inside, Sehun really has a good heart. Still pure like a child’s.

 

Like Nate Archibald from Gossip Girl.

 

Okay, the similarity is only the good heart. The rest are differences.

 

“You have thought of that already right?” Luhan chimed. “Starting your own business? So that you wouldn’t have to live in the shadow of your family’s business? You’re smart. You have connections.”

 

“Yeah but that would mean actually turning my back on my family. My grandfather wouldn’t be so proud.”

 

“Screw him then.”

 

Sehun shook his head. “You wouldn’t understand.”

 

“I’ve seen worse.”

 

Sehun knows he was talking about Baekhyun. Another thing to be curious about.

 

“I think we should go.” Sehun suggested and they hop off the sink.

 

They were outside the hall when they saw students running to the same direction, crowding at one place, all looking at the same thing. Sehun and Luhan glanced at each other in confusion before grabbing someone by the neck to ask. It could’ve been better but they rather do this the hard way. Only because it looked cool.

 

“What’s up?”

 

The guy chuckled. “Ohh, you’re not going to believe this.”

 

Sehun let go and let the man lead the way. They followed close behind him.

 

“Hey! Give way! The friend is here!”

 

After all the heads turned to Sehun, they all moved aside to create space for the V.I.P.

 

Luhan was just a koala sticking beside him.

 

“Over there.” The man pointed across them and Sehun let out a loud gasp.

 

What. A. Scene.

 

Chanyeol was carrying Baekhyun.

 

It looked sweet but not when the people started laughing.

 

Because uh…

 

Chanyeol was wearing Baekhyun’s heels.

 

Imagine a giraffe wearing roller blades.

 

Yeah, that’s exactly what he looks like right now.

 

--

 

Let’s do a little flashback 30 minutes ago.

 

Chanyeol sighed heavily. “Baek.”

 

Baekhyun stopped walking and faced him. “Alright. In one condition.”

 

Uh.

 

That sounded dangerous.

 

“Are you in for it?” Baekhyun tried to sound as provoking as he could.

 

“Alright. Shoot.”

 

“I’m too tired so carry me—“

 

“Piece of ca—“

 

“—while wearing my heels.”

 

“—ke…WHAT?!

 

“Carry me while wearing my heels. Simple.” Baekhyun smirked.

 

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN SIMPLE?! ARE YOU NUTS?!”

 

Baekhyun craned his neck when he found a taxi driving behind Chanyeol and raised his hand. “Taxi!”

 

Chanyeol grabbed his arm in reflex. “Wait a sec—BAEK!” He yelled when the brunette pushed him away to run for the taxi Chanyeol has been trying hard to shoo away with his exaggerated death glare to the driver in which he substantially failed because he’s a giraffe that makes elephant noises, chasing a little brunette mouse. When the distance between Baekhyun and the taxi drew closer, he had no choice but to do something little stuck up es are known for. He pulled Baekhyun’s wig, startling the brunette who immediately pulled his hair back and glared at him. “Uh—“

 

“WHAT THE HELL?!”

 

“Sorry.”

 

Baekhyun watched his ride go. “I could’ve gone home already! If you’re not going to do that simple thing I requested, you might as well leave me here and go home already!”

 

Chanyeol wonders how the hell his temper doesn’t snap with something as annoying as this. Actually, he’s never really found Baekhyun annoying. It’s always amusing.

 

In the end, because he’s a little er, he grabbed Baekhyun’s hand.

 

“What?” Baekhyun asks, angry and confused.

 

Chanyeol said nothing and pulled the glass shoe from the latter’s hand. He felt Baekhyun’s angry face softened into just confusion. “What are you doing?”

 

Chanyeol dropped the glass shoe along with the pair he’s holding.

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

And then he took his shoes off.

 

“You’re not actually going to—“ Baekhyun was caught off guard when Chanyeol wore the glass shoes, even though it’s half the size of his feet.

 

Chanyeol turned to the side and knelt down. “Come on.”

 

Baekhyun gaped. “Y-you’re actually going to—“

 

“This is what you want, right?”

 

Baekhyun gulped.

 

“Baek, I’m as tired as you are and I want to go home.”

 

Baekhyun bit his lip as he slowly rode on Chanyeol’s back, praying that his weight doesn’t break the glass shoes. The parking lot is still far away and Baekhyun can’t believe Chanyeol is actually doing this. As they walk further, students started crowding beside them, photographers clicked on their shutters like their lives depended on it and their gasps even reached his ears.

 

Oh for crying out loud, this is embarrassing for him too. Like, embarrassing the Park Chanyeol is very embarrassing. These ladies must be chopping his head off in their minds.

 

He saw Luhan and Sehun with surprised but amused expressions on their faces.

 

When they reached the limo—oh thank god—Baekhyun immediately hopped off of Chanyeol’s back. Nobody said a word on the ride home.

 

Baekhyun felt guilty for being so emotionally unstable.

 

And y.

 

--

 

“Well, there they go,” Luhan murmured as he watched the limo go in sync with the people starting to scatter around after the entertainment was gone.

 

“Well, there they go,” Sehun repeated and received a playful glare from Luhan. He tilted his head into the direction of his car. “Come on,”

 

“What? What about your partner? Taeyeon?”

 

“Ah,” Sehun grinned and pointed at something across them. When Luhan turned to look, he saw Jessica, Krystal, Taeyeon and a few other girls hopping on the back of a pick-up car with tequilas and vodkas on their hands. “They do that all the time. You know, they also want to party like how normal people do.”

 

“How about you?”

 

“Since you’re with me, I can’t really leave you.”

 

Luhan blinked. “I can go…if you want.”

 

Sehun laughed, throwing his head back. “I was kidding! I don’t do those things. Normally, me, Chanyeol, Kai and a few other guys you haven’t met yet because they didn’t come this year, would go to this costume party every after the Gala. But since they moved the party a day after the gala…” He shrugged and stated the obvious.

 

Luhan nodded. “Oh…okay then.”

 

 

“Wait, I’ll send a message to my driver.”

 

Luhan fiddled with his feet while waiting for Sehun.

 

“Yah, that girl who did karate on us, that was Chanyeol’s fiancé right?”

 

Luhan turned slowly at the direction where the voice came from. Behind them, he saw three guys holding masks the same his when they were in Chaser mode. He recognized them as the troublemakers in the team, students that work part-time because they can’t afford to pay the full tuition fee. Not everyone in this school is rich anyway. There are some who are just lucky enough or smart enough to get in.

 

And correction, it was Hapkido since Baekhyun never mentioned doing Karate before.

 

“Oh yeah, I just remembered. Tell you what, since it was caught on tape, we can get the tape and sell it to the press or something.”

 

“You’re crazy! That would ruin her image!”

 

The guy snorted. “Her image is already ruined because of what she did earlier.”

 

“We can even use it to blackmail Chanyeol into giving us what we want.” The other guy added.

 

Luhan crooked his eyebrows. These bastards.

 

When he heard the guys laugh, he turned to Sehun who also heard their conversation.

 

They looked at each other and communicated through their eyes. God knows how that is possible.

 

When they heard the guys walking pass by them, they immediately blocked their way.

 

“S-Sehun? Do you need something?”

 

“Yes, yes I do.”

 

--

 

“How did you do that?” Luhan asked the moment he settled inside Sehun’s limo. Let’s pretend he wasn’t excited to ride in a limo for the first time.

 

“Do what?”

 

“Convince them to keep the tape a secret?”

 

“Oh, old school tactics. Everyone has dirty secrets. Including those three.”

 

“Really? So that’s how you get things done around here?”

 

Sehun paused. “…no. You see, there are things you can’t have even if you beg for it. So, you just have to use drastic measures. Blackmailing for example. It’s a very simple method.”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes. “Rich kids."

 

Sehun took the tape from one of the students he paid to get it before answering. “Well, believe it or not, not everyone in my social circle does that. Let’s just say, Park Chanyeol is the world’s most selfless heir when he was still studying here. He shunned everyone and focused on his studies. Benefits of being gay. Yeah.”

 

Luhan gaped. “Really? Didn’t know he had it in him.”

 

“That’s because you always have the wrong impression of people. You should start opening up a little.”

 

“Yeah, after you opened up to your step-brother.” Luhan snorted. When he didn’t get a reply, he realized it was probably not a good statement. “Is that a sensitive topic?”

 

“Not really.” Sehun shrugged. “Hey, do you know why Kai goes by the name Kai and not Jongin?”

 

Luhan suddenly realized that he doesn’t know the real reason behind the nickname. “Because he liked the nickname?”

 

Sehun chuckled. “No. He likes the name Kai because it’s only one syllable and that it goes well with my surname, Oh. So when he makes out with men or women, he’ll make them moan his full name so it will sound like ‘Oh, Kai, ohh, Kai,’” He imitated with a not-so-appreciated tone.

 

Luhan snarled. “I’ll pretend I did not just hear that.”

 

“Oh and there was this one investor, a foreigner investor, who didn’t know how to read his name so he called him ‘Oh-Kei’. It came out as Okay.” Sehun added with a laugh. “Those are just some of the benefits of having the surname Oh.”

 

Luhan nodded. “You do seem pretty close to him.”

 

“Yeah, we were. Not until he started being a know-it-all. He almost bought me a bubble tea shop just because he knew I like bubble tea. He goes overboard sometimes.”

 

“Then maybe you should talk to him,”

 

“Later…maybe. I just want to enjoy the holidays without pressures on my back. I mean, it’s the holidays, I don’t work. Kai does. So…you get the point. My holidays are going to be colorful.” Sehun grinned sheepishly. “Which reminds me of your hair.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll do something about it in the morning.” Luhan looked outside the window to see if the morning will come sooner but was distracted with the unfamiliar setting. “Wait, this isn’t the way to the subdivision. Are we taking a shortcut?”

 

Sehun smirked. “We’re getting your hair done.”

 

“At this hour?!”

 

“I know someone who works all night. And it’s the least I can do after you saved Taeyeon from the humiliation.”

 

Luhan was literally at loss of words. He shook his head and chuckled.

 

“What?” Sehun asked. “You’re convinced now that I’m not such a bad person?”

 

“I’m getting there.”

 

Sehun looked outside. “And we’re here.”

 

When Luhan stood in front of the salon that Sehun said works overnight, he can’t keep his eyes off the blinding neon colored sign at the top.

 

“Who names a salon ‘SHINee’?”

 

“They do.” Sehun answered and opened the door. Luhan followed close behind him. “Hey gay boys!” Luhan heard someone cough from the corner. “Except for Minho who owns the place.”

 

“What is the point of adding boys after the gay if we’re not boys and we’re gays?” A blonde-haired who resembles Kai a lot said while spinning around the chair.

 

“You’re too young to understand.”

 

“Mind you. I am older than you!”

 

“Yeah, by a year.”

 

Luhan observed the place from the door. Colorful, decorative and definitely gay. If Baekhyun can see this, he’ll puke rainbows. He’ll appreciate the lightings though. He’s a er for everything that has to do with lights. Reminds him of that huge chandelier they had back in China.

 

“Anyway guys, where’s Key?” Sehun asked and nobody cared.

 

Anyway, he won’t be surprised if Lady Gaga will suddenly make an appearance here.

 

“Looking for me?”

 

Insert Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance here.

 

Luhan’s jaw dropped at the sight of a person who appeared out of nowhere dressed in a meat dress with black glasses and long blonde wig with a large ribbon on top of his head.

 

Nobody told him this was a costume party.

 

Or a musical since someone who has a fairly trot-like voice suddenly started singing Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance at the side.

 

“Oh,” Sehun chipped. “Onew hyung, shut up.”

 

The singing suddenly disappeared.

 

“Key-hyung? Are you going to a party?”

 

“Oh I was just trying it on since I’ll be wearing this at Yunho’s party.” Key replied proudly. “What’s your business here?”

 

“I have a friend who needs immediate attention.”

 

Luhan can hear gasps from every corner of the room. “Oh my God.”

 

Sehun pulled Luhan closer. “The hair…”

 

“…is tragic.” Key finished for him. “Really tragic. Come on, let’s get this done.”

 

“Oh, can you just dye it back to black?”

 

“Sure thing, darling.” Key smiled at him and lead him to one of the chairs. “JONGHYUN! GET YOUR IN HERE!”

 

--

 

4 hours of sleep and he still woke up at 7 am. Where did his normal 8 hours go? Well, frankly, he had troubles going to sleep last night so he probably wouldn’t last long and had to wake up.

 

When Baekhyun walked down the stairs, he felt that his feet were swollen, probably from all the running during the game at the Gala. Nonetheless, he survived until he reached the coffee machine. After making coffee, he remembered today is probably Luhan’s first day-off since he started working as an intern at SMA. So, he decided to give Luhan his favorite American breakfast—well, because they aren’t Americans. Fried eggs, bacons, pancakes and…cereals? Cereals it is.

 

He’s too sleepy to cook anything other than these now anyway.

 

He stretched his arms, grabbed his coffee and walked to the door to get their daily newspaper. On the way back, he can hear Luhan’s footsteps on the stairs as he closes the door while scanning the paper.

 

“B, can I have some coffee?”

 

Baekhyun unconsciously sipped from his cup when he heard the word coffee.

 

He was standing right in front of Luhan when he looked up to answer the latter. All his eyes saw were a bundle of black ebony hair strands. He spitted his coffee in shock, landing perfectly on Luhan’s face.

 

“YOUR HAIR’S BLACK!”

 

“Thank you for the coffee, B.” Luhan grimaced and touched his hair. “Yeah, there was a little accident back at the party.”

 

“What accident?”

 

“It’s probably on the paper.”

 

When Luhan walked away to clean his face and grab his coffee, Baekhyun returned to scanning the magazine and saw black bolded letters on of the headlines. ‘SMA’s Intern Luhan Saves Princess from the Poisonous Paints’ along with a picture of Luhan covered in rainbow colored paints.

 

Oh.” He chipped and shrugged. “How heroic.”

 

He followed Luhan to the kitchen to grab breakfast.

 

“By the way, what the hell happened after the game?”

 

“What?” Baekhyun feigned innocence and cut his bacon.

 

“The whole Chanyeol was wearing your heels while carrying you? B, do you realize that you just embarrassed him in front of the students and businessmen?”

 

Oh, he realized alright.

 

“It wasn’t that bad.”

 

“What do you mean wasn’t that bad? Try standing in Chanyeol’s place and say it’s not that bad. People are probably going to think you’re not worth it and shoo you away. When that happens, sooner or later Chanyeol will have to cut off all ties with you and then you’re jobless.”

 

“You’re too pessimistic.”

 

“I’m just stating the possibilities.”

 

Baekhyun glanced over the newspaper.

 

The CEO Park Chanyeol is no match against his fiancé?’

 

Baekhyun is very aware of what he had done.

 

He leaned back and sighed. “Why are you lecturing me about this anyway? This is my problem. Don’t you have other things to settle?”

 

Luhan smiled proudly. “Oh, Sehun and I are okay. We confronted each other after the game. Clean slate.”

 

Baekhyun groaned.

 

Somehow, after all the things that happened, he backtracked the words that he took as a sign but chose to ignore.

 

 

“Besides, it’s not like your job will stay forever. Your shoulders may not be broad now but it will be.”

 

“Tch. She’s nothing when Chanyeol’s gone.”

 

“People are probably going to think you’re not worth it and shoo you away. When that happens, sooner or later Chanyeol will have to cut off all ties with you and then you’re jobless.”

 

 

And he realized what is he when all of these are gone?

 

He’s going to be useless. He will be forced to go back to his father which he will never do. Over his dead y body.

 

It would be better not to live in the illusion of unending life or happiness.

 

Baekhyun silently left the kitchen and walked to the white board near the stairs. He grabbed the phone and pressed in Kai’s number.

 

“Hello?”

 

Funny how he answered at the first ring. It made him think that this was the right thing to do.

 

“It’s Baekhyun.”

 

“Oh, Baekhyun! What’s up?”

 

Baekhyun inhaled deeply. “Kai, I think I’ll take the job.”

 

 

--

 

Sehun didn’t even bother knocking because he knew very well Chanyeol hasn’t moved from his spot on the couch since arriving home. He brought his camera along just in case something is worth capturing in Chanyeol’s little depressed bubble. What happened after the game hit the bull’s eye. He had never experienced that before. That’s new.

 

“Dude, it’s not that bad.” –is all he can say since he doesn’t know the to-do’s when confronting people about their most embarrassing moment. Uh-huh.

 

Chanyeol turned to him slowly. “Not that bad? Try standing in my place and say it’s not that bad. People are going to think he’s not worth being my fiancé and shoo him off. As much as I hate to admit his, cutting off my ties with him doesn’t even cross my mind. Until now. What are people going to say about him?”

 

 

Sehun chuckled. “You’re worried about that? Wow, you’re in love.”

 

“This is obviously a gesture of kindness within me. Friendship.” Chanyeol announced. “No strings attached.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I think.”

 

“Beats me.” Sehun shrugged.

 

Their little solitude was interrupted by a shriveled yell ringing through the neighborhood.

 

 

 

“AHHH!!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY VASE?!!! WHO BROKE MY VASE?!”

 

 

That is definitely the blonde turned black haired Chinese noodle.

 

Chanyeol snapped in confusion.

 

--

 

Baekhyun watched Luhan.

 

He was dying.

 

“Uh, Lulu—“

 

“Shh.” Luhan hushed. “My poor poor darling vase…what happened? What have they done to you?” He sobbed while picking up the remains on the floor, slowly and carefully.

 

Baekhyun can imagine a funeral taking place soon.

 

But oddly, how the hell did the vase broke?

 

Were they robbed or something during the party?

 

Obviously not since the alarm didn’t go off and nothing was taken.

 

He was the last person who held the vase but he remembered placing it back carefully, safe and sound. It couldn’t have magically broken just like that.

 

“Maybe the wind knocked it down?” He reasoned to Luhan who, obviously, doesn’t give damn. “Lulu, it’s just a vase…?”

 

“YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND! This is the last memory I have of my grandmother before she got slaughtered!”

 

Baekhyun snarled. “You’re overreacting. She died of diabetes.”

 

“How can you say that?”

 

“Seriously though.”

 

Luhan glared at him. “But who did this?”

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “Beats me. The two of us were partying. I can assure you though that my hands are clean.”

 

“I swear to God if I ever find the culprit I’ll rip his head off. Or her.” Luhan murmured while walking back to the kitchen after hearing his stomach growl for the 10th time.

 

--

 

Kai pinched his nose bridge and sighed. As usual, the CEO didn’t show up again today so he’s left dealing with the reports on sales, which does not sound good by the way. Normally, Chanyeol would take things lightly and be all “all is well” and surprisingly, it works, but not him.

 

“The sales are going down, Kai.” The secretary, Yoonhye, repeated for the third time. “Well, it’s not that low. It’s still higher than the other companies out there. But if this trend continues, the Wu Industries might overtake us. In which Chanyeol probably wouldn’t like.”

 

And all this because of that one accident.

 

Jeezuz.

 

“The accident was just a small slip-up but it will die down. I’m convinced to say the sales will be back on track by the end of the year.” Kai said. “Hopefully this won’t continue or else we’ll have to find a new investor just to keep the buyers interested.”

 

“Luckily, none of our investors backed out…yet. But if they find this trend threatening, I’m guessing they’ll transfer their investments to Wu Industries.” Yoonhye shrugged. “This isn’t such a good year for us. On a side note, what are you wearing for Yunho’s party tomorrow night?”

 

Yunho…is everybody’s socialite friend. Whether you know him personally or not, as long as you’re in his radar, you’re invited to every party he throws.

 

Kai leaned closer, pushing all the problematic thoughts about the sales behind him. “I’m going to be…the Grim Reaper.”

 

Yoonhye snorted. “Of course you are. How about Chanyeol?”

 

“Chanyeol? I think he’s…”

 

--

 

“Dracula.” Sehun snarled while staring at Chanyeol’s Dracula costume hung on the wall somewhere in the living room. “Dracula? How classic.”

 

“What? What’s wrong with Dracula? He’s a cool guy.” Chanyeol rebutted.

 

“Vampires? With fangs and the cape and whatsoever?” Sehun snorted.

 

“At least it’s not gay like your Zorro.”

 

“Hey! Zorro’s badass okay?!”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “Yeah, gay as Luhan’s Peter Pan.”

 

“I CAN HEAR YOU!” Luhan yelled from the kitchen, silencing the two. “AND PETER PAN IS NOT GAY!”

 

Baekhyn turned to him in disbelief. “You’re going to wear a Peter Pan costume?”

 

“Yeah, didn’t you see it? I placed it on our couch this morning.”

 

“I thought it was a rag.”

 

Luhan gaped. “I am offended.”

 

“What is with you and Disney…” Baekhyun murmured while flipping over the fish he was cooking. “And what the is with this weird deal. Since when are we obliged to have lunch at the jerks?”

 

The jerks being Chanyeol and Sehun, of course.

 

“A few days ago,” Luhan answered while flipping…a magazine. “Somewhere between Chanyeol’s hopeless cooking skills, Sehun’s fondness of you, my guilt and your apathy.”

 

Baekhyun mentally slapped with himself because of the lack of empathy he has inside his body. “And the breakfast at our house?”

 

“Somewhere between you complaining about me leaving so early that you don’t have anyone to eat with.”

 

“And I agreed to that?”

 

“Yeah, you said ‘Mm-hm.’

 

Mm-hm?” Baekhyun mocked and Luhan nodded. “Just because I said Mm-hm doesn’t mean I agree!”

 

“Well, Mm-hm is a sign of approval.”

 

“How is Mm-hm a sign of approval?!”

 

Luhan sighed and dropped the magazine. “Because you acknowledge the previous thought!”

 

“Acknowledge the previous thought?”

 

“Mm-hm.” Luhan hummed and nodded.

 

Baekhyn stared at him.

 

Luhan smirked. It took a minute before Baekhyun realized he just proved Luhan’s point. “.”

 

“Told ya.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Then how is this deal a benefit anyway? I still cook. The only difference is the setting. Useless rich kids…don’t even know how to cook.”

 

Luhan was quite amused with Baekhyun’s mini tantrum. Looking at him like that, concentrated on frying the fish while pouting angrily made him remember that Baekhyun used to be a rich kid too but what makes him different is that he knows how to do chores: cooking and cleaning. It was hard for him to process all that when he first met Baekhyun and didn’t have the slightest idea of the family he came from.

 

He was a socialite too. Rich and unemployed. Maybe that’s why he was invited to Yunho’s party? Well, one thing he’s sure of is that he was invited because he appeared on the newspaper. They all received individual invitations through e-mails. The creepiest one was Baekhyun’s because it said ‘I have been following you for a long time’ and yadda yadda yadda where he sounded like a stalker. But they all agreed to come in the end.

 

Baekhyun turned the stove off and started transferring the fried fish on one of the plates.

 

“Hey Baek, what’s your costume?”

 

“I’m going to be Baekhee.”

 

Luhan glared. “How original.”

 

“I was joking. It’s a secret.”

 

“Oh come ooooon.” Luhan whined.

 

“You’re going to see it tomorrow anyway.” Baekhyun said and placed the plate on the table.

 

“Maybe I should dress like a vase instead, you know? To honor my vase.” Luhan suggested with a fake sob.

 

“Don’t be so lame.”

 

“It was just a suggestion.” Luhan murmured then started helping Baekhyun set up the table.

 

--

 

“Maybe I should dress like a vase instead, you know? To honor my vase.”

 

Sehun was happily hopping to the kitchen when he heard Luhan speak so he stopped. The guilt was killing him but he couldn’t find it in him the courage to tell the truth and apologize because it hasn’t been even 24 hours yet when he patched things up with Luhan. He definitely doesn’t want to mess things up with him again. Maybe he should just keep quiet. This issue will die down in time anyway.

 

Yeah, he should.”

 

Chanyeol kicked his because he was blocking the way and proceeded inside the kitchen.

 

“Chanyeol you !”

 

When Chanyeol’s gaze fell down to the little brunette hair, he froze. Something about Baekhyun today is highly intimidating. Their eyes met and he felt like sinking to the ground for a moment. It’s like Baekhyun was trying to say…

 

YOU USELESS PUNKS. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITHOUT ME HERE TO COOK?

 

Truedat.

 

Everybody was getting ready to eat when Baekhyun received a call from Kai. He excused himself immediately, missing Chanyeol’s frown.

 

“Hey, the manager wishes to see you. I told her you wanted the job. Are you free?”

 

Baekhyun peaked from the doorway and looked at Chanyeol. He doesn’t look as cheerful as he used to be. Maybe the whole controversy is affecting him. If that’s the case, then sooner or later, he’s going to be forced to leave this job completely.

 

It’s a sad thought.

 

“Yes,” Baekhyun answered. “I’m free.”

 

“Cool. Then I’ll pick you up.”

 

“Thanks Kai…”

 

“No problem. I’m glad I could help.”

 

When he hung up, he appeared in the doorway, catching everyone’s attention. “Hey, I have to go.”

 

“What? Where are you going?” Luhan asked on confusion.

 

“Just somewhere…”

 

“You’re not going to eat first?” Sehun questioned next.

 

Baekhyun smiled and shook his head.

 

Chanyeol stood up abruptly. “I’ll take you.”

 

“Ah, you don’t have to. Kai’s coming to pick me up.”

 

“Kai?”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “I guess I’ll see you guys later then,”

 

“Okay. Be careful, B!” Luhan yelled before Baekhyun ran off, leaving Chanyeol flustered and dumbfounded.

 

--

 

Kai was on the way to the subdivision when he felt his phone vibrate. He wore his earpiece and answered the call. He realized the problem about the sales wouldn’t leave him alone, may even become worse though he hoped not.

 

“Kai speaking,”

 

“Kai, I have bad news. Two investors just called. They backed out.”

 

Kai bit his lip. “From where?”

 

“The twins from China, respectively.” Kai can feel the disappointment in Yoonhye’s voice. “This is serious trouble. Nobody backed out on us before. If they other investors find out about this, they’re going to start jumping to the bandwagon.”

 

“I am well aware of that, Yoonhye, thank you very much,” Kai sighed. “What do you suggest we do?”

 

For a moment, he heard rustlings and paper tossings from the other side of the line before Yoonhye spoke up. “I was going to ignore this…well like what I do for the past years but we may be able to rise up the sales back or even higher with this.”

 

“With what?”

 

“You know…that English intelligence unit who trains youths to become private agents and stuff, the Van der Gilt Defense Organization, owned by the Van der Gilt Corporation wherein are yet to be the richest and most excellent organization in New York.”

 

“…and?”

 

“They are known for using the most advanced technologies and weaponries ever made. Since for the past 2 years, their original sponsor, the Dajiangas Weaponries Inc. has, as they put it, lost its touch, they are looking for a new company to invest to. We received invitations 6 months ago for the banquet that will happen a month but Chanyeol declined it because our sales has been getting better by the day. But then the accident happened…”

 

“Banquet?”

 

“It will be held here in Korea. May I remind you that the only candidates are us, the Park Industries and Chanyeol’s ex, the Wu Industries.”

 

Kai shook his head. Park Chanyeol, forever the CEO who would settle for something so easily without thinking of future plans. Even if the accident didn’t happen, it will be a big shot for them if they win that deal.

 

“Yoonhye?”

 

“Yes, sir?”

 

“Tell the Van der Gilts that we accept the invitation.”

 

“R-right away.”

 

This is for the best.

 

He pulled over when he saw Baekhyun waiting outside the subdivision. He seemed to have forgotten how his car looked like based on the confused face he wore when he pulled over in front of him. When he slid down the window though and showed his face, Baekhyun’s expression became soft.

 

“Oh, Kai,”

 

“What are you doing here? I thought I said I’ll pick you up?”

 

“And you are. I just thought it would be more convenient if I waited for you out here.” Baekhyun smiled sheepishly.

 

Kai can feel his heart thump. The last time he felt like this was in grade school where he met his first love, Luhan. I bet you didn’t expect that. It’s true. But it disappeared the next day when he met another one. That was when he realized, he can easily get attracted to the same gender whether he likes it or not. Something tells him it’s different for Baekhyun though. Because it didn’t disappear after a day. Everytime the brunette would flash a smile, he felt like he went back to grade school, giddy and smushy all over.

 

“Kai?”

 

Kai snapped. “Oh, sorry. Uh, hop in!”

 

“Okay!” Baekhyun hopped cutely to the passenger seat, entertaining Kai with his childish antics.

 

After Baekhyun successfully wore his seatbelt, he started driving away.

 

--

 

Chanyeol couldn’t even touch his food. He just felt so…betrayed.

 

“Chanyeol? Are you going to eat that?” Sehun asked.

 

Chanyeol just kept on staring at his food.

 

Sehun took this as a sign of approval. Luhan looked up to see where the depressing aura came from. He can literally see darkness and rainy clouds on top of Chanyeol’s head. He sighed and placed his fork down, catching Sehun’s attention in the process.

 

“Chanyeol,” Luhan called.

 

Sehun can see how impatient Luhan can be so he nudged Chanyeol but they still didn’t get a response.

 

Luhan inhaled deeply. “PARK CHANYEOOOOL!!!” He yelled louder, imitating Baekhyun’s tone, in which he is an expert by the way.

 

They were convinced it worked because Chanyeol almost fell down from his seat if it wasn’t for Sehun who steadided him. He looked around with a flushed face and frowned when he doesn’t see any sign of Baekhyun, who he believes, yelled a while ago.

 

He knew when he saw Luhan smirking.

 

“I thought it was Baekhyun…”

 

“I know,” Luhan chimed. “Now that I have your attention, tell us what’s wrong.”

 

“Everything.”

 

Well, that was fast.

 

“I mean, Kai? Why Kai? Since when? What’s going on? How did they even know each other?”

 

“Whoa, calm down soldier,” Sehun tapped Chanyeol’s back.

 

“Well, I might be responsible of how they met. Kai’s my ex-best friend and Baek’s my bestfriend…so…it’s inevitable that I introduce them to each other.” Luhan explained nonchalantly.

 

“So what? They’re dating now?”

 

Luhan crossed his arms. “So what if they are?”

 

Sehun can see how Luhan is challenging Chanyeol. Surprisingly, everything makes better sense to him because he knows a lot more than what these two do. Example, that Kai likes Baekhyun.

 

“You’re kidding. Baekhyun and I had a mutual understanding that he’s mine and I’m his. We’re supposed to be together always. He’s my fiancé.”

 

Luhan chuckled mockingly and shook his head. “That was Baekhee, Chanyeol. The person we’re talking about right now is Baekhyun. He has his own life without the glitz and glamour. He can do whatever he wants when he’s not Baekhee. He can date whoever he wants. Plus, it’s not like his job will stay forever.”

 

It hurts when someone speaks the truth.

 

It hurts even more that that someone is Xi Luhan.

 

Chanyeol never wanted things to be this complicated. But the only way he knows he can get Baekhyun to stay with him is to make a deal with him (he doesn’t need an expert to say Baekhyun despises him). At least that’s what he thinks. Everybody seems to think that this was all just pretend, which is not the case. He wanted Baekhyun to do this because he wants him.

 

Oh.

 

There, he realized it.

 

Here comes the denial stage.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened at the thought.

 

No, I don’t.

 

I DON’T OKAY.

 

I DON’T WANT HIM.

 

This is just…some misunderstanding.

 

Yeah.

 

Let me rephrase that.

 

He wanted Baekhyun to do this because he wanted him…to do it. Period.

 

--

 

“So, what’s my job going to be?” Baekhyun asked while rummaging through Kai’s compartment. It was a habit hard to break. He was surprised though that whatever noises he makes, Kai doesn’t scold him. In Chanyeol’s case, he warns him every minute. And that is why this is irrelevant because obviously Kai is not Chanyeol.

 

So shut up.

 

“An intern for now.” Kai replied, distracting him from his throughts.

 

It took a while before the previous statement registered in Baekhyun’s mind.

 

An INTERN?!

 

Am I the same as Luhan now?

 

NOOOOOOOOOO.

 

“So…do I run errands or something?”

 

“For a while until the manager will pick you and give you your own spot.”

 

That sounds horrible.

 

He took his words back when he arrived at the main office of the scandalous and richest magazine, Inside. He already felt like he belonged there, which was not a bad thing. He always had a thing for gossips and scandals. It made his life back in New York more interesting.

 

He waited for a few minutes while Kai talked to someone before he was escorted inside the office. He was overwhelmed at the amount of good vibes it gave off once he stepped inside. It didn’t last that long though when he found out he’s not the only intern in attendance that day. There were three more es. He wanted to complain to Kai but he forgot he already left him to deal with this on his own…because he said he’s grown up. It when you start depending on someone but Kai’s right.

 

“Alright, new intern,” Jessica, the manager, approached him with dignity…and load of paperwork. “I want you to go over these articles and pick the most relevant one to post into the site. I was this done by the end of the day.”

 

With that, she cat walked her way out of the office, leaving Baekhyun dumbfounded. He turned to the other three girls who also have their hands full of separate jobs.

 

He can read all day but three boxes of nothing but paper and clips doesn’t sound fun.

 

He had no choice though. He knew this sounded too good to be true. Of cours has to work his off to get in. He dropped the papers on his desk and started reading.

 

“This ,”

 

“You tell me,”

 

He turned to the person who spoke beside him. She seemed familiar. “Hyomin. You’re Byun Baekhyun right? Luhan’s friend?”

 

Baekhyun crooked his eyebrows. “How did you know?”

 

“I’m Luhan’s colleague in SMA. A fellow intern.”

 

Baekkhyun raised an eyebrow. “Did you graduate Bachelor in Internship?”

 

Of course he meant it as a joke.

 

Hyomin didn’t seem to mind though. “That’s a tough bunch of work.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Is it always like this here?”

 

“That’s the dark side of being an intern. You have to be desperate enough to finish impossible tasks. Especially in this line of work. Tasha there,” Hyomin pointed at the girl who was scratching her hair while staring at her computer. “She’s been an intern for three years. Her batchmaters all quitted.”

 

“Does that mean there’s no guarantee that any of us here gets the job?”

 

Hyomin nodded.

 

“Then what’s the point of working here if there are not going to hire anyone?”

 

“The point is that we keep trying.”

 

“You’re crazy.”

 

“Easy for you to say, you can buy your way in. You’re friends with Kai who’s the VP of the Park Industries.” Hyomin stated in a jealous tone. Oh the beauty of being able to read girls’ minds easily.

 

“Actually…no, I’m not gonna buy my way in. I’m going to work hard for that spot.”

 

Hyomin paused for a moment, observed Baekhyun from angle to angle—in which the brunette found weird—before decidingto drop the bomb. “There’s actually a shorter way to be able to graduate as an intern and get your own spot in this place.”

 

Baekhyun lit up at the information. “Really? What?”

 

“I’m not sure you want to hear this…I mean, your friends…”

 

“Oh come on. They have their own life. I have mine. If they get to work and earn money, I will too. Spill it.”

 

Hyomin inhaled deeply. “It’s about…your friends, Kai and Sehun.”

 

“Kai and Sehun?”

 

“Yeah…it’s something Jessica wants to write and publish so badly but she couldn’t get any proof about it,”

 

“What is? Does she need an interview? Kai and Sehun’s photos?”

 

“What? No,” Hyomin chuckled. “It’s about their relationship.”

 

Baekhyun paused when he realized something back when Luhan lied to him about Sehun at Chanyeol’s place.

 

“Have you ever wondered why you never knew about me given that Kai is your friend?”

 

Come to think of it, he forgot all about it since he’s not one who would stick his nose to other people’s personal issues.

 

“What about their relationship?”

 

“You didn’t know?” Hyomin smirked. “One of them is adopted.”

 

Baekhyun choked in humid hair. “WHAT?!”

 

“It’s true but no one wants to claim it. Not even Sehun and Kai themselves. I don’t know what the deal about that is. It’s the one story Jessica wants to publish so hard but couldn’t because she doesn’t have any proof or evidence. If you can give that to her, she’ll probably appoint you as the new manager.” Hyomin saw Baekhyun’s flustered face. “How’s that for a shortcut? Doesn’t sound so hard given that you’re their friend, right?”

 

“What? I’m not gonna sell my friends for something like this. They’re my close friends.  And even if what you said is true, we don’t have the right to publish anything about it. They probably have a reason why they chose to keep this a secret and low profile. This is a family matter. We can’t invade their privacy about it.” Baekhyun rebutted after much thought. Never in his life will he put his friends’ reputation in danger for something so selfish.

 

“I knew you’d say that,” Hyomin sighed. “Well, goodluck being the next Tasha.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head. “There’s gotta be another way.”

 

Hyomin slid a piece of paper on his hand. “Call me when you change your mind,” With that, Hyomin left with her coffee.

 

He placed all of the articles inside the boxes and decided to bring the work home. He suddenly hated the atmosphere in the office and it suffocated him. He wants peace and he’ll get it at home.

 

--

 

Luhan sighed for the tenth time that afternoon due to the amount of boredom the world sprinkled on him his day-off. He thought he can spend this day with Baekhyun since the brunette had always pestered him about being M.I.A all the time but then enter Kai who kidnapped his bestfriend and refused to tell him the reason why because he thought it’s fun to play a guessing game.

 

Sehun was playing video games.

 

While Chanyeol grew mushrooms in the corner.

 

The phone suddenly rang and Luhan, who was beside it, lazily picked it up. “Hello? Park Residence?”

 

“It’s Baekhyun,”

 

Luhan leaned closer to the phone. “Oh thank God you called,”

 

“Why? What’s wrong? Did something happen? Is the house on fire? Did you break another vase?”

 

Luhan groaned. “I swear to God if I found out who broke my vase, I’m going to cut his hands off and stick it on his nose.”

 

Sehun’s joystick broke.

 

Actually, he broke Chanyeol’s joystick.

 

Luhan turned to him. Sehun flashed an idiotic smile, saying this happens all the time, go away. Luhan just rolled his eyes on him. He’ll have to pay for the damage though.

 

“Dangerous,” Baekhyun mocked.

 

Luhan snorted. “How about you then? Where were you? Where did you go? Huh?”

 

“Oh….somewhere,”

 

“Baek,”

 

“Fine. Kai offered me a job.”

 

“Yeah and you declined it.”

 

“Well, I changed my mind.”

 

Luhan choked. He slowly turned his head to Chanyeol’s direction. The giant never moved from his spot and he still had that weird dark violet aura thingy coming out from his back. He pressed his mouth closer to the phone and whispered. “Are you crazy? Why did you do that?”

 

“I’ll tell you when I get there. I’m coming home now.”

 

“You better give me a reasonable explanation B or you’ll get it worse than that person who broke my vase,”

 

Sehun banged his head under the table while he was trying to grab that CD that flew somewhere under it.

 

Luhan chose to ignore him this time.

 

“Alright, alright, bye.”

 

Luhan clicked his toungue as he placed the phone back.

 

“Was that Baekhyun?” Sehun asked, massaging his head of the pain.

 

“Yeah, he’s coming home,”

 

Chanyeol’s face lit up at the information, scaring Sehun and Luhan at how big his eyes were.

 

Luhan looked away and noticed the camera resting above Chanyeol’s flatscreen TV. He stood up and went to grab it. He figured that it was Sehun’s but he was too lazy to ask for permission when the latter was too busy looking for something behind the fake orchids placed near the windows.

 

He hopped back to the couch and started scanning the pictures. They were pretty entertaining. Pictures of Sehun and Chanyeol surfing at the beach, topless, Kai climbing up a tree and the next picture was him lying on the ground, assuming that he fell, and a few faces he doesn’t recognize but was fun to see.

 

He grew more interested when he reached the collection dated yesterday before the gala: Chanyeol’s epic hair problem, Sehun trolling over the clueless giant and Baekhyun—Baekhee—in his baby blue dress and Baekhyun holding his vase up in the air and Baekhyun leaving and—

 

--WAIT A ING MINUTE.

 

Luhan scanned back. It’s true. Baekhyun was holding his vase up in the air, above his head, in a position that’s obvious enough he was going to throw it down.

 

I can’t believe this.

 

He lied to me.

 

He feigned innocence.

 

That b—

 

He was cut off with the sound of engines outside. “Hey, it’s Baekhyun,” Sehun announced.

 

Chanyeol immediately ran to the door but got beaten by Luhan who ran faster than him, furious, with a whole army of himself backing him up. It worried the two when they noticed he looked different and that something was wrong so they followed immediately.

 

--

 

Baekhyun stretched his back. Carrying three boxes of nothing but papers, papers and more papers stressed his fragile body. He hasn’t done this much work since…China years.

 

When the door slammed open, he expected an angry Luhan given that he didn’t say anything to him about the job but what greeted him was more than an angry Luhan.

 

He was furious and violent.

 

“YOU SON OF A B—“ Luhan was forced to stop before he can lounge himself to Baekhyun when Chanyeol came up behind him and restrained him.

 

“Wait, what?”

 

“YOU SAID YOU DIDN’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE VASE! THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS?!” Luhan shoved Sehun’s camera in front of him.

 

Oh no. Sehun thought.

 

“That’s a picture of me holding your vase above my head…wait, are you accusing me?” Baekhyun asked incerdulously.

 

“SHOULD YOU BE ACCUSED?”

 

“I WAS THREATENING CHANYEOL WITH THAT VASE BUT I PLACED IT BACK BECAUSE I KNEW HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS TO YOU! TELL HIM GUYS!”

 

Chanyeol nodded. “It’s true. I thought he was going to throw it on me but he said it’s your family legacy so he placed it back properly.”

 

After Chanyeol’s explanation, they all turned to Sehun who was obviously present at the scene.

 

“I…don’t know,”

 

Baekhyun gaped in disbelief.

 

Luhan pushed Chanyeol away from him and snorted. “Of course you will take his side! You never cared about anyone except for him!”

 

“Luhan! I did not break your vase, okay?!” Baekhyun defended again.

 

“SHUT UP!” Luhan pointed a finger at him. “THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME YOU LIED TO ME!”

 

“YEAH BUT HOW ABOUT THOSE TIMES I TOLD YOU THE TRUTH?! ARE YOU GOING TO BELEVE SEHUN OVER YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND?!”

 

Luhan looked at Sehun and then back at Baekhyun. He would convince himself to stop this argument here but he was too furious to even consider the thought. “At least he doesn’t make up lies just to cover for himself!” He turned his back on them and ran upstairs, slamming the door shut.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t say anything anymore after that.

 

Sehun just got stabbed at the heart by his own conscience. He didn’t know what happened. He just didn’t want to screw everything up but it all ended up getting worst.

 

“What the hell…” Chanyeol murmured and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

Sehun stepped forward. “Baekhyun, I—“

 

Baekhyun turned furiously to Sehun. “Are you going to say something about this?”

 

Sehun tried to make the words come out but he couldn’t even if he wanted to. He was afraid that he’ll just screw things up again, even worse than now. He inhaled deeply. “I…I can’t…”

 

“Then get out.” Baekhyun said sharply.

 

Sehun didn’t have any choice. He slowly walked out from the house, bringing all the guilt with him.

 

Chanyeol walked closer to him. “Baekhyun—“

 

“Get out,”

 

“But—“

 

“Just leave me alone! All of you!” Baekhyun yelled furiously, closing his eyes to avoid seeing the look on Chanyeol’s face because he was scared to see the damage he did on his own.

 

When the door closed, he opened his eyes and saw himself alone in the living room, the clock being the only source of sound in the air of silence around him.

 

He knew he was just mad and he knew he shouldn’t make decisions when his temper is running wild, but somewhere in the thoughts of losing his job, losing Chanyeol, Sehun betraying him and Luhan choosing Sehun over him, he grabbed that little piece of paper he crumpled and dialed the number.

 

Hyomin answered on the third ring, giving him enough time to collect himself.

 

“Yes? Hyomin speaking?”

 

“It’s Baekhyun.”

 

“Oh,”

 

“Tell Jessica she’ll get that scoop she wanted by tomorrow,”

 

Uh-oh.

 

Guess little blond boy Sehun would have to watch his back.

 

Two can play this game.

 

One can sacrifice.

 


 

A/N:

 

wow, i'm actually happy this turned out to how i wanted it to be. hohoho.

anyway guys, this is my longest update yet so forgive me for taking too long. ;A;

peace offering? *puppy eyes*

Subbies, thank you for waiting for this. I just cannot with my schedule. It's draining all my energy. ;A;

anyway, the real angst and drama starts now. hohoho.

- gelie