The Arrival

It was fated to be...

Hello to my readers~

This is my first ever fanfic. I'm slightly nervous at what all your reactions will be. :L

But anyway, enjoy reading. :)


Kim Eun Mi stepped off the plane and walked briskly through the tunnel to the Immigration Check before collecting her luggage. Pulling on her rather large blue suitcase, she arrived at the entrance of the airport, where huge amounts of people were waiting for their own families to arrive so they could take them home. Eun Mi pulled to a halt, and searched the crowd for her younger brother, before flipping her phone open to check the time. It was 6:30PM.

Her younger brother had arrived in America before her, even though he was younger. His dreams of studying at Harvard in order to follow their parent’s footsteps were fulfilled last year, when he achieved his goal of obtaining a full scholarship. She was proud of her brother, yet slightly jealous as he had gotten all the attention when her family had received the news on her brother’s success. Eun Mi herself had been studying at the University of NSW in Australia before she decided to transfer to Yale University, in order to have a better chance to be successful. She, too, had obtained a full scholarship, much to the delight of her parents. Her brother had always had to dream of becoming a lawyer, and now, it was finally coming true.

Where is he? Is he late?                                                                                                            

 Eun Mi flipped her phone open again to check the time. 10 minutes had passed.

I wonder why he’s late...Traffic jam?

Suddenly, Eun Mi felt a pair of hands slide over her eyes.

 “Guess who?”  whispered a familiar male voice.

Eun Mi let go of her suitcase, peeled the hands off her eyes, and flung her arms over the tall figure.

“Eun Kyung!” Eun Mi shouted gleefully. She glanced up towards her brother. “Wow. I swear you’ve grown. What have you been eating?” she teased.

Eun Mi hadn’t seen her brother for a while, not since he left Australia for America last year.

“Haha, very funny noona. Well, maybe it’s because you’re shrinking every time I see you!” replied a smiling Eun Kyung. Eun Mi responded in protest, but her brother cut her off. “Come on, let’s get home, I bet you you’re hungry. You never liked airplane food, not even when you were little.’”

After loading the car with Eun Mi’s luggage, it was time to go home. The two hopped in and chatted endlessly during the journey. There was a lot to catch up on; a year’s worth of news infact.

“So, how’s school going for you?” said Eun Mi.

“Pretty good. Harvard’s an amazing school you know. Amazing people, as well as teachers.” replied Eun Kyung, taking his eyes off the road to glance at his sister. ‘Are mum and dad doing well?’

“Yes, last time I checked, dad was too busy building a case for some billionaire who had caused a scandal. Mum was pretty busy too.” said Eun Mi. Both their parents were well-known lawyers.

“Well, when are they never busy? Dad especially.” sighed Eun Kyung.

“That’s so true. I wish dad was home more often when we were young.”

“I guess he had to make a living for us...but I do wish he spent more time with us. Same goes for mum. She always worked late when we were little.”

“Yeah...” agreed Eun Mi “So, little bro, found love yet?”

Eun Mi giggled. Teasing her brother about his relationships was something she always did.

“As a matter of fact, I have.” stated Eun Kyung, smiling.

Eun Mi pretended to be shocked.

“WHO? WHO? WHO?” asked Eun Mi desperately. “Who is it?”

Eun Kyung grinned.

“Not-telling”  he teased.

“Well, then, you’re lying!” said Eun Mi, pouting.

Eun Kyung laughed, and looked at his sister, while still trying to keep his eyes on the road.

“Ok, fine then, noona, I’ll tell you” he said.

Eun Mi looked triumphant, and urged her brother on.

“I.” he started.

“Am.”

“Dating.”

“A girl.”

“Called...” Eun Mi pressed on.

“Her name’s Isabella Lee. I think you’ll like her.” he said, smiling.

“Is she pretty?” said Eun Mi, interested.

“Very.”

Eun Mi giggled. “Nice one bro! Glad to see you in love.”

“Well, have you found yourself love, noona?” asked Eun Kyung.

“Nah.” replied Eun Mi.

“What happened to Dae Hyun?” said Eun Kyung. “You guys were fine together last year when I left.”

“Well that jerk broke my heart. And I didn’t realise he was one until he left me.” said Eun Mi, sadly, looking down into her lap.

“What did he do?” said Eun Kyung angrily. “Do you want me to bash him up for you?”

“No, it’s okay.” sniffed Eun Mi. “He cheated on me.”

“That !” said Eun Kyung, furiously.

Eun Mi sniffed again.

“Don’t worry noona, you didn’t deserve him anyway. You deserve someone much better than that bastard.” he comforted.

Eun Kyung drove the car into the garage of a block of apartments, and announced that they had arrived. He opened the boot and carried his sister’s luggage to the elevator, while Eun Mi was admiring the vast height of the apartment.

“Wow. It’s so big!” said Eun Mi.

“Yes indeed.” agreed her brother, pressing the elevator button. “Now, we’re on the 21st floor. And I forgot to mention, this is Isabella’s apartment.”

“Oh really?” said Eun Mi, interested. “Do mum and dad know about this?”

“Of course.” replied her brother. “Do you think I’d be allowed to if I didn’t tell them?”

“What?! Aw. How come I was the last to find out about this?” wailed Eun Mi, pretending to be upset, although it wasn’t really working, as laughter had started to ripple across her body. This was why she decided that she was definitely going to be avoiding an acting career.

“I’m sorry noona.” apologised Eun Kyung, stepping into the elevator, with Eun Mi following. “I guess it slipped my mind last time I was on the phone with you.”

Eun Mi jokingly slapped him.

“Yeah right! You just didn’t want to tell me.” teased Eun Mi.

“Hey!” said Eun Kyung, slapping his sister back.

The elevator door dinged, and opened. Eun Kyung rolled out his sister’s suitcase, turned left and started to walk through the corridor. He gestured to his sister to follow. They stopped outside door number 28. Eun Kyung pulled out his keys from his jeans pocket and opened to door. After taking off their shoes, they entered the relatively small modern apartment. On the coach, lay a pale skinny girl with flowing black hair and a side fringe.  The girl, who Eun Mi assumed immediately as Isabella, sat up as she and her brother walked into the living room.

Isabella spoke in Korean.

“Hello, Eun Mi-shi.” said Isabella, with a friendly smile on her face. “I’m Isabella.”

She’s quite pretty. I’m so jealous.

“Please call me unnie.” replied Eun Mi, who smiled back.

“Ok then, Eun Mi unnie” said Isabella. “Welcome! I hope you’ll enjoy your stay in America.”

While the two girls got to know each other, Eun Kyung put down his sister’s luggage and walked into the kitchen. Growing up with Eun Mi and the absence of both parents meant that you learnt to cook. All his cooking skills were learnt from his chef sister. He opened the fridge to inspect what was inside, so he could decide what to make.

Hmmm...here’s the beef I bought the other day...or should I make gimbap?

“Bulgogi or gimbap?” shouted Eun Kyung, from across the room.

“Bulgogi!” shouted both of the girls at the same time. Then they giggled.

“My brother makes the best bulgogi.” said Eun Mi.

“I know!” smiled Isabella. “You’re very lucky to have him as a brother.”

Eun Mi smiled.

“I know.”

“So unnie, are you looking forward to your years at Yale? What is it that you study again?” said Isabella.

“I’m studying to become a doctor. I really hope I do well at Yale...I mean; it’s a pretty big step from the University of NSW. I hope I can cope with the workload, since it’s such a prestigious school. “babbled Eun Mi nervously.

 “Don’t worry, unnie. I’m sure you’ll be a shining star at Yale. And don’t be nervous.” Isabella said kindly.

“I’ll try not to be.” said Eun Mi.

“Food is ready!” shouted Eun Kyung from the kitchen.

The girls stood up from the couch and walked to the dining table. The smell of bulgogi wafted around the room.

“Smells good bro.” said Eun Mi, sniffing appreciatively.

Eun Kyung sat the dishes down and pulled out a chair to sit down in, while the girls did the same. As they ate, they talked about everything.

“How did you two meet?” said Eun Mi before putting a piece of bulgogi into .

Eun Kyung and Isabella looked at each other, and smiled, their eyes full of memories.

“We met at school. She studies law aswell, and she was in all of my classes.” said Eun Kyung. “I’d always thought she was pretty, but never had the guts to ask her out.”

Isabella took over.

“One day, he ‘accidently’ bumped into me, and made me drop all my books.” said Isabella, emphasizing ‘accidently’ with hand gestures.

“Hey that’s not true! It was on accident.” responded Eun Kyung, in protest.

“Okok, on accident. After that accident, he finally plucked up enough courage to ask me out. And look at us now.” said Isabella lovingly, taking one of Eun Kyung’s hands to hold.

Eun Mi, jealous at their young love, wished that she was like that too. They were young, and in love, happy as ever. She finished her meal, and thanked her brother for dinner and to Isabella for agreeing to let her stay at the apartment until the school term started.

“You’re welcome, unnie!” said Isabella generously.  “You should start to get ready for bed. I’ve set up a bed in the spare room for you. Sleep early tonight, there’s lots to do tomorrow!”

“I will, thank you.” said Eun Mi happily, and walked off to the spare bedroom, carrying her suitcase. She unpacked, and made her bed. Then, she placed her toiletries in the bathroom and hung her towel on one of the hooks, as well as her pyjamas.

“I’m going to shower.” shouted Eun Mi, to her brother and Isabella who were in the living room.

“Sure thing.” responded Eun Kyung, who was watching TV with Isabella, cuddling up on the couch.

Eun Mi stepped into the shower, and the taps. She closed her eyes and let the water flow. She loved to take hot showers; it made her all warm inside, especially in winter. After she showered, and changed into her pyjamas, she brushed her teeth.

 Eun Mi peered at herself in the mirror. Was she pretty? Would she ever be able to make a boy fall in love with her? She stared at the figure who was staring back at her. It was a pale girl with past-shoulder length hair, dyed dark brown, with reddish-brown highlights and a straight fringe.  She wasn’t skinny, nor was she fat. Eun Mi decided she was ok-looking, which was acceptable. She finished brushing her teeth, took out her contact lenses and walked into the living room, where her brother and his girlfriend were watching TV.

“I’m gonna go to bed. I don’t I’ll be able to cope with the time change otherwise.” said Eun Mi, who yawned.

Eun Kyung nodded.

“Get your rest, unnie!” said Isabella. “Goodnight!”

“Sweet dreams noona.” said Eun Kyung.

Eun Mi walked into her current bedroom, and climbed into bed. The mattress was nice and squishy, yet firm at the same time. It was just the way she liked it. She closed her eyes and quickly fell asleep.

There was alot of be done the next day.


NOTE:

Noona- older sister (to be used if you are male)

Unnie- older sister (to be used if you are female)

Gimbap - a Korean snack similar to sushi

Bulgogi - a Korean meat dish (literally means fire meat)


What did you think?

I know I know, the first chapter was pretty long. And you're most probably wondering when Super Junior's going to come in.

Super Junior shall appear in the next few chapters. This chapter was all about introducing the characters and giving you guys some background info. :)

Anyway, please comment, and tell me what you think. Any suggestions/improvements to be made would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

Peace&Love;

Meg :)

© meggxzhangster 2010