Chapter 9

Better Together

 

Amidst his astonishment, after processing Ryeowook’s confession, Kyuhyun stood up from the table instantly drawing curiosity from everyone that was on the lunch table. Without saying anything else, Kyuhyun dragged Eunhyuk together with him towards another side of the refectory. “What do you want?” Eunhyuk whined as he eyed his friend with a deep frown on his features confused to the reason why he was dragged so far from the other two.


“The wrong number! Can you believe that? I am feeling guilty for mistreating Ryeowook earlier!” Kyuhyun babbled to his friend, clearly worried about how to act around Ryeowook now. As Kyuhyun waited for any tips coming from Eunhyuk, the latter simply tilted his head wondering what he was supposed to say. With a thoughtful expression, he finally started to speak. “I do feel bad for Wookie. Perhaps he had heard that famous quote and decided it was wise to stop searching for you” Eunhyuk said in a whisper, paying glances at their table, like the other two would be able to hear him gossiping with Kyuhyun.


“Which quote?” Kyuhyun stared at the other in pure confusion, eyebrows wriggled. “Is there even something related to that?” Kyuhyun added still thinking – weren’t famous quotes usually old ones from literature books? Eyeing his friend in disbelief, Eunhyuk shook his head obviously disappointed. “You got the wrong number. I am sorry. You got the wrong number, so don’t call me no more” Eunhyuk recited it like it was a poem.


“Isn’t that a Dbsk’s song?” Kyuhyun asked obviously indignant, immediately regretting picking Eunhyuk instead of bringing Donghae together – Donghae was at least sane and actually wise, unlike Eunhyuk. “Yes! See? I told you it is famous!” Eunhyuk exclaimed with his bright face expression which made Kyuhyun’s mood to worsen. “You’re so useless” the latter muttered clearly annoyed that his friend wasn’t giving him any idea of how to apologize to Ryeowook.


 Eunhyuk stared at his friend confusedly until he finally questioned. “I was supposed to help you?” such thing was enough to make Kyuhyun grumble in disbelief. “I am so thankful for having friends like you and Donghae” he snapped, clearly being sarcastic, though Eunhyuk was blind to it – or simply ignored. “You’re welcome” Eunhyuk smugly stated, receiving a glare as a reply from Kyuhyun while both walked back to the table.


When they reached their table, Ryeowook was quietly eyeing his leftovers. On the other hand, Donghae’s eyes never left them from the very moment they left the table. “Where did you go?” He promptly asked, suspicious about the sudden action Kyuhyun made. “I was teaching Kyuhyun famous quotes” Eunhyuk proudly informed his friends, causing Donghae to stare at his boyfriend dumbfounded – why they stood up from the table so suddenly in order to exchange this kind of information? But considering they were his friends and having Eunhyuk included in the group, it was certainly possible.


“Care to share with us? Didn’t know you had a vast knowledge” Donghae tried to squish something out from them, because it was certainly a lie – Kyuhyun wasn’t that insane like his boyfriend. He was interested if that absurd was indeed the truth though. “Oh. You wouldn’t believe how wise he is” Kyuhyun answered half-heartedly with sarcasm dripping from his statement.


Before Donghae could ask more, the alarm suddenly rang signaling the ending of their lunch.  This made him to stand up hastily. “See you later, Kyu and Wookie!” Donghae spoke in a rushed tone, grasping Eunhyuk’s arm violently. “Our class is rather far from where we are currently. I hate being late for classes and the halls will be so packed! Sorry!” after chattering this much, Donghae dragged Eunhyuk with him – the latter having no opportunity to say anything (though he was secretly complaining that everyone dragged him today).


“Why are you being like this?” Eunhyuk composed himself already tired of running when they were very far from the other two’s eyes. “It’s unusual for you to go mad when we aren’t even having exams yet” He asked his boyfriend with eyes narrowing from confusion. “You are really slow! They obviously need some time alone to update each other!” Donghae spoke wisely staring skeptically at his lover that was completely unaware of the awkward thing going on between the other two.


“And… we also need time for us” he teasingly spoke with a wide grin. “You’re getting mushy again” Eunhyuk murmured knowing Donghae only said those words in order to mock him – it was on daily basis that Donghae tortured him with such teasing phrases. Eunhyuk finally rolled his eyes when Donghae started chuckling at his frustrated expression.

-----------------

Kyuhyun and Ryeowook stared at the direction both figures faded in complete disbelief – what Donghae said wasn’t believable at all.


When Kyuhyun turned to his side, his gaze met with Ryeowook’s for half second before Ryeowook averted his gaze to somewhere else. “Shall we go?” although hesitant, Kyuhyun asked unsure of how to act around the other now. Awkwardness surrounded them – one because of the shyness, while the other was due to his long chatter with himself happening inside his brain.


Kyuhyun was very bothered from the silent treatment he received – Ryeowook didn’t bother to answer his question just now even though he was as polite as he could (it was to compensate for being rude earlier, so Ryeowook had a point to avoid him). Ryeowook was distractedly watching the path where Donghae and Eunhyuk disappeared. He was caught off guard when the deep voice of Kyuhyun echoed not very far away from him. The other speaking directly to him certainly made him nervous.


After few seconds of silence, Ryeowook decided he should answer in order to not enrage the other further. “S-sure” he still stuttered, even though he was slightly relieved that Donghae and Eunhyuk didn’t seem to hold any grudge against him. As he nervously played with his fingers, Ryeowook wondered if Kyuhyun wasn’t mad at him anymore. Both started to walk towards the classroom after the answer finally was delivered.


Anxious about the uncomfortable atmosphere that was established between them Kyuhyun grasped Ryeowook’s wrist – it was such a sudden action that made the latter flinch. Ryeowook’s imagination was running wild as he imagined many scenarios of him being beat up. “I am sorry!” Kyuhyun left his pride behind and decided to apologize properly to his childhood friend. Noticing that his impulsive act made him hold Ryeowook’s wrist, he immediately release. ‘Damn. I am not the shy one’ he cursed himself mentally for the nth time.


Confused about the sudden apology, Ryeowook tilted his head. “For what?” he asked as his brain couldn’t think of what Kyuhyun was apologizing for. Kyuhyun eyed the other flabbergasted that the other still questioned for what – wasn’t it obvious? “For the… number” Kyuhyun admitted, although it wasn’t intentional he actually wondered if Eunhyuk could actually be right about Ryeowook giving up on finding him because he thought he wasn’t accepted in their group anymore. There was no need for Kyuhyun to avoid eye contact, since Ryeowook was seemingly always managing to avoid it for him.


“You were eight. Mistakes happen” Ryeowook murmured shyly, though he had a small smile on his lips signaling that maybe, just maybe, things would be better between them. However, the awkwardness remained – it’s been such a long time without talking to each other and they were indeed considered as strangers to each other. They didn’t know what each other liked, neither their dislikes.


“Erm. Shouldn’t we worry about being late for class, like Donghae?” Ryeowook pointed out awkwardly as the halls were nearly empty already. Kyuhyun was about to laugh about such statement, since Donghae was always nuts, until he eyed their surrounds and simply muttered: “!”


And then they began to run towards their class which would probably provide them a punishment for arriving late.


It was such a prosperous day.