Chapter 12

Better Together

Only a few seconds after hanging up, Kyuhyun was anxious to meet Ryeowook again – Monday seemed way too far (it was still Saturday!). Although he blindly believed that the reason behind that sudden urge was merely because he was bored. Of course he would be bored though, Saturdays were the day Donghae and Eunhyuk had their dance classes. He had other friends, but they would most likely complain of his randomness if he just showed up to hang out.


Also, Kyuhyun was set on discovering what Ryeowook was currently hiding from them – what had actually made the other become so introverted? Decided to make some progress, he wore his sneakers leaving his house in a rush – his mother didn’t bother anymore questioning her son, because this was somewhat usual coming from him. Inside his mind he was thinking how the plan was perfect! Ryeowook would never complain with him for showing up suddenly (not to say he was taking advantage of the other’s current situation).


It was a few blocks away, not exactly close, but not far either considering the size of the city – Seoul was way too big. Arriving in front of the gate of Ryeowook’s house made him quite unsure whether he would annoy the other by his action, but still pressed the campaign waiting for someone to open the gate. A voice of a woman suddenly interrupted his thoughts from the speaker “Who might you be?”


“I am Cho Kyuhyun, Ryeowook’s friend” he answered confidently waiting for the door of the gate to be opened for him to come in. It did open and behind it there was an older lady welcoming him with a gentle smile. “I am Ryeowook’s mother, nice to meet you” she introduced herself as she accompanied him to the house.


“Unfortunately, my son left a few minutes ago to do some buy groaceries. If I knew a friend of his was coming over I wouldn’t have sent him!” she blabbered as she was pleasant surprised to hear her son had a friend – moving back to this city was certainly the right decision!


“Oh, actually I showed up to surprise him” Kyuhyun spoke awkwardly as he scratched his nape feeling slightly embarrassed. “Maybe I should leave?” he suggested, since Ryeowook was nowhere to be found.


“No, stay and have something to drink. I am sure he will be returning soon since the market is nearby” Mrs. Kim insisted as she had to assure her son’s friend would stay for a little longer – this meant so much for her. Kyuhyun thought this was rather strange being there without the supposedly host, but only nodded as he couldn’t really refuse since she was insisting so much for him to stay. Mrs. Kim pointed to him where the living room was as she headed to the kitchen humming to an unknown song.


Still feeling out of place, he cursed a few times inside his mind for acting so spontaneously. However, he did get to see how Ryeowook’s place was. The living room had a cozy feeling, his eyes roamed through the room until he spotted pictures hanging on the wall – only old ones from when Ryeowook was a toddler or very small, a few pictures of the family here and there.


Kyuhyun backed away, heading to the couch sitting down as he still kept his eyes entertained in watching the surrounds that amused him. As he moved slightly, he heard a sound of paper coming from underneath him. His brows furrowed as he lifted his leg slightly to find an old crumpled letter. There was his name written on it with a messy handwriting that was probably a kid’s.


He was quite sure he was Ryeowook’s handwriting and it seemed nothing like that nowadays, so perhaps it was a letter written a long time ago? Curiosity crawled onto his senses, so he took the letter hiding it inside his pants’ pocket. This shouldn’t be considering stealing, his name was written in there! Out of politeness he would stay there for 10 minutes, before deciding Ryeowook wouldn’t return so soon (he couldn’t bother Ryeowook’s mother all day long).


Once the woman returned with a glass of juice, Kyuhyun gladly accepted it (summer was approaching and running towards his friend’s house was certainly draining). He checked his watch to see there was only 1 minute left for him to go. “I should get going, I have an appointment. Was just passing by to say hello to Ryeowook” Kyuhyun came up with the first excuse he could think, which worked since Mrs. Kim easily bought it.


“Oh. That’s a shame” she absently spoke as it has been such a long time since any friend of Ryeowook came to visit him. Kyuhyun was quite aware of that though since the woman seemed so melancholic for some awkward reason, so he could only read into the situation and make hypothesis regarding the past.


“I’ll come back another day” Kyuhyun assured Ryeowook’s mother with a smile. She nodded as she accompanied him to the door. “Ah. Would you keep my visit a secret? It was supposed to be a surprise” he pleaded wearing an innocent look on his features. The woman heartily laughed, agreeing.


After finally leaving Ryeowook’s place, Kyuhyun jogged back to his house – it was a good way to exercise, since he wasn’t really into physical activities. Once he arrived, he was dripping sweats due to the warm weather, thus the reason why he went directly to the fridge to grab a bottle of water. After refreshing himself, he finally remembered the old letter he ‘stole’ from Ryeowook’s house. However, he would read it later – at least after he had dried himself from all the sweat dripping.


Instead, he decided to take another shower because he really hated the sweat covering his body. Also, he was rather paranoid about whether he was stinking or not. Finally, he sat down on the couch and carefully opened the letter. Before even beginning to read it, he noticed a few blurred spots on the paper. At first glance he thought those were only drops of water that someone would drop by mistake while either drinking or pouring water, it happens.


Hi Kyuhyun!
It is kind of silly to write this for you, because obviously you will never read this since I don’t have your address. Perhaps I’ll never receive an answer, but this is the way I found to at least feign I can still talk with you and that we are still friends.  Or at least that I have someone I can confide in.

It’s been 4 years already, though for me all those years dragged more than I had ever wished.
This city is much smaller than Seoul, seemingly their minds are the same. Shunning a kid out of the group only because his characteristics differ from the usual, threatening to be beaten up because of that particularity, those are a few experiences I had.
I used not to care about whether my voice was slightly high-pitched for a male, or if I was below the average size for boys. Now I hate those.

Questions like: Why I was born this way? Usually emerge inside my head, but there are no answers to those, just like this letter won’t have.

Now thinking about it, it is very deplorable to be a male with such girly characteristics – I should’ve known when you guys pointed out I was a girly boy when we were barely 9 years old.
Even I am nauseated by my existence. How funny.

I miss those times…

 

Kyuhyun blinked his eyes in shock, wondering how old Ryeowook was when he wrote that letter – around 12. Perhaps he just read something which he wasn’t supposed to, but it did help to understand slightly what Ryeowook undergone through those years. That letter particularly screamed loneliness, without anyone to confide to he had to resort to write letters to the last person that remembered him of friendship.


He leaned his back against the coach, rubbing his temples as a sigh ran past his mouth. Although he had absolutely no fault, he couldn’t help but feel slightly guilty. And that only increased his will to help his friend to overcome this situation.

======================

 

Sorry! The comments for this fic are so few that I end up leaving to update this one aside but I probably shouldn't do that since it's only rewritting process -.- oh well