Chapter 5

Better Together

 

Being enrolled in the same school from before was quite soothing somehow, perhaps because the ambient had a peaceful aspect into it. A wide campus with a green scenery filled with trees? Only the building was a different from the one Ryeowook used to attend – obvious, since he was in his last year of high school. Why Ryeowook always transferred on unusual periods of the year?


Reluctantly, he went inside the appointed classroom. The teacher eyed him, gently smiling. “I suppose you are the new student.” Ryeowook nervously nodded as for sure he had to introduce himself for the class now. “Please introduce yourself.” the teacher requested as the smaller boy was trying to find a safe spot from the many gazes sent towards him. How he wished he could skip that bothersome part, he wouldn’t mind being invisible for others. “Hm. Hi. My name is Kim Ryeowook. 17 years old” he managed to not stutter in his short speech, the teacher nodded and allowed him to occupy any empty seat.


Many whispers were heard around the class, Ryeowook shyly walked towards an empty desk on the back of the classroom – place he was sure people wouldn’t bother turning around to stare at him. Still unaware of his surrounds, he settled down for a desk near the window. “Nice to meet you again, Ryeowook” a voice from his right coldly greeted him, causing him to widen his eyes once he looked to see its owner. Of course he was unable to recognize the voice; it gained a deep intonation after puberty acted over him.


Even if Kyuhyun was the one beside him, there was no room for hopes yet. There was absolutely nothing that linked them – the old friendship was long gone. Also, Ryeowook was a shy boy, insecure of how to act around stranger, at least that was what the current Kyuhyun could be considered as. “Ni-nice t-to meet you-u again.” Shamelessly stuttering he managed to answer his old friend. “How inconsiderate, moved out and never bothered to contact again” Kyuhyun sharply pointed out, seemingly still angered by that fact.


Ryeowook was speechless for a short moment after hearing such statement. It definitely wasn’t his fault. Did Kyuhyun hate him now for something that wasn’t his fault? He wished he had guts to tell all the truth to his old friend and also his frustrations, but it was impossible. Ryeowook was locked within himself, in deeper parts where even the owner couldn’t reach. The smaller avoided staring at Kyuhyun’s eyes, probably afraid of the menacing glare that was being directed at him. His mind kept conflicted about revealing the reason behind the lack of contact, but he was insecure – what if this only made Kyuhyun’s fury to increase?


“Oh. Not going to deny it, huh?” Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes from the lack of answer. It was frustrating in his opinion. A heavy atmosphere was established between them, class started so the petite boy was thankful for the teacher for doing… well, his job. Minutes passed by very slowly, it was a boring subject: history. Ryeowook kept stealing glances at Kyuhyun who was completely ignoring his existence now. It was saddening that his first talk with Kyuhyun was filled with misunderstandings. Actually, even in his craziest dreams he never thought he would be able to see the other again. It felt so surreal.


Loudly, the bell rang signaling lunch time, Ryeowook actually considered eating alone – going outside the classroom could be scary if he happened to attract some undesirable attention. A hand slammed on his desk, causing him to wince, clearly scared. He was such a wimp. His gaze hesitantly lifted, only to meet with a very humorlessly Kyuhyun. “Get up. Now” his old friend demanded harshly.


Ryeowook silently nodded very frightened – what happened to the gentle boy he used to know? “Good. Follow me and don’t protest” Kyuhyun threatened walking ahead right after, not even bothering to check if the other was indeed following him, but Ryeowook was so scared he immediately obeyed.


Pessimistic thoughts invaded the petite boy’s mind as he kept staring at the large back of his friend. Was it possible the other turned out to be a bully now? Well, Kyuhyun definitely was taller than him, but his body estructure wasn’t of someone who likes to beat people up. It was inevitable to consider that option though, since Kyuhyun did sound dangerous when talking with him.


Halls were filled with students; voices competed to see who was able to talk louder, completely mixing the different tones. Ryeowook nearly lost the sight of his old friend walking, still walking ahead. Where were they going? The path towards the mysterious place seemed so long, causing Ryeowook to be impressed how big the school actually was.


Was the one standing a few steps ahead of him really the same person from years ago? Why clung into the past, people changed – Kyuhyun who used to be his best friend obviously changed as well.


Time acted on both.  


Ryeowook who was previously a bright boy was now quiet. How time affected Kyuhyun?


Obviously the petite boy was happy because the other reminded him clearly, but there was also anxiousness from not receiving a warm welcome. Ryeowook actually cursed his shyness. He wanted to get rid of that barrier that prevented him from acting accordingly to his original personality. Unfortunately, it wasn’t so easy, that was a protection that he gained through the years… the only thing that kept him safe – if he had a lousy personality bullies would probably dislike him even more.


Stay quiet, this way you won’t say unnecessary things.


However, he wasn’t the only one with problems.

-----------------

yeah yeah angst I know. 
it was short, I know that as well lol

Now there's only fluff ahead, okay OTL or at least I think so XD -gets kicked by readers-