Chapter 2

Better Together

Because Ryeowook happened to be seatmates with Kyuhyun, they would frequently be seen chatting with each other on mornings. Usually, they would simply talk or Kyuhyun would start teasing him about his looks. “Girly boy” little Kyuhyun singsong those words when he saw his friend arriving. Ryeowook threw his belongings on the table demonstrating his moody state. “I am not girly” the cute boy protested stomping his feet cutely, quickly punching his friend’s shoulder so the latter would stop addressing him as that.


Kyuhyun tilted his head lightly as the other always managed to amuse him. “Don’t be mad alright? I’ll call you… Wookie?” he offered the nickname while the other send another glare directed to him. Ryeowook immediately shook his head with an impressive speed. “No! It seems like a girl’s nickname!” the boy complained, pouting lips emerging, causing Kyuhyun to laugh at him. He reached his hand and pinched one of the adorable cheeks harshly, causing Ryeowook to wince in pain. “So cute, Wookie” Kyuhyun teased evilly smirking at the other, who was surely staring at his friend indignantly.


A loud snort left Ryeowook’s mouth, he was definitely mad at the other for mocking him continuously. “I am not cute! I am going to grow up and be manly!” the cute boy snapped clearly annoyed already from all the mocking. Kyuhyun raised his hands defensively acting innocently “Fine, if you say so” his grin was wide enough to cause Ryeowook to hit him again.


Their lunch break would basically consist of them going to the courtyard to play, instead of eating like adults would do. The game was fairer now, considering Ryeowook wasn’t the one responsible for doing the chase. Once they decided to play hide and seek, Donghae started counting down the numbers. Desperately in a rush, little Kyuhyun happened to hold Ryeowook’s hand so they would be able to hide together. After a few seconds running, they finally found a place behind the tree that was big enough to hide both. Actually, it wasn’t hard, they were small after all. However, in order to fit them behind it, they had to stick together, or else, Donghae would easily find them.


“Why do I have to hide with you? Aren’t we in disadvantage if we were found?” the little Ryeowook questioned indignantly while adjusting uncomfortably on the small place. Kyuhyun cutely pouted – such an unusual sight – while whining “But I want to hide with you!” still tightly holding his friend’s hand. They eyed each other, until Ryeowook nodded in agreement. It’s not like he really cared about losing the game. It was still a stupid idea to hide together, because if they were found by the other two, for sure they would be teased. They didn’t care though: it was comfortable staying like this with each other.

----------------------------------------

Two months later, their teacher decided it was a great idea to have a class presentation. They were going to be divided in couples and would have to dance together – everyone found cute kid’s performing together after all. Parents’ would go crazy while taking many snapshots from their precious children. Thankfully, it was optional, so Ryeowook obviously – being the shy kid he was – rejected the idea of having so many eyes watching him doing such an embarrassing thing. Unfortunately, practices were during their free time during lunch, which made the cute boy be left alone, since his friends would participate in it.


Afterwards afternoon classes, they were finally released to return to their respective homes. The four friends would walk together until a certain place, then they would go to separate ways. Seemingly, all lived nearby – otherwise their parents wouldn’t allow them to return alone. The big city could be frightening after all. While chatting happily, Ryeowook’s curiosity was creeping. “How was practice?” he questioned cutely tilting his head, trying to wonder what they were supposed to do on it.


“I am thankful that it ended fast! I don’t understand why I was paired with this stupid fish!” Eunhyuk started blabbering, rudely pointing his finger at his friend that was busy chewing his gum. Donghae hastily kicked his friend on the leg, causing the other to wince from the pain. “I am not stupid, you should be grateful that you are with me, not Kyuhyun” he indignantly replied and ended it triumphantly by sticking his tongue out childishly. Little Ryeowook furrowed his eyebrows confusedly, as he failed to understand why his two friends were paired together – weren’t they boys?


“Why are you going to dance together?” he decided to question, since it wouldn’t hurt doing so. Both refused to answer, since they were angered by that subject. “Didn’t have enough girls” Kyuhyun made the favor of clearing out that matter to his friend that simply nodded in understanding. “They were fighting over who would have the role of the man. In my opinion, both fit the girl role better” the gamer evilly pointed out with his signature smirk.


“Oh. Just shut up” Eunhyuk snapped while threatening to hit Kyuhyun – kids are so violent nowadays, isn’t it? Ryeowook giggled while imagining the scene of one of them dressed up as a girl, it was very entertaining. “So, who is going to be the girl?” the petite boy questioned relieved that he wouldn’t participate on that presentation. “Try to guess” Kyuhyun challenged while expecting his friend to find out it.


“Fish?” Ryeowook answered the first name that he thought of, causing Donghae to stare at him with disbelief. “Why? Why everyone thinks I should be the girl?” he screamed horrified with the idea of actually being the girl, apparently the roles weren’t distributed yet. Slightly scared with his friend’s reaction, Ryeowook decided to ignore the scandalous Donghae. “How about your partner, Kyu?” he was curious if the latter was paired with another boy as well.


“Seohyun” Kyuhyun answered shrugging nonchalantly – he was on an age that boys did not really care for girls. Ryeowook frowned at the well-known name, wondering why his friend was always paired with her. Whenever they were paired together adults would say “Aw. They look awfully good together, so cute!” Which was rather annoying, for an unknown reason. The little boy did not understand why he felt that way – perhaps he was jealous that Kyuhyun was paired with the cutest girl in class?


Eunhyuk was hearing the talk, confused because of the sudden silence established around them. “Why are you quiet?” the monkey boy questioned Ryeowook who was apparently in a daze. Slightly startled, the cute boy still managed to answer with the usual monotone tone. “Ah. Nothing! I was just thinking how it will be lonely during lunch break” It was partially true, he did miss them during that short time.


Suddenly, Donghae hugged Ryeowook, clinging onto him, causing the latter to furrow his eyebrows. “Don’t worry, Wookie! We’ll always be here for you!” the fish cutely said while his eyes contained sparkles – such innocence you would only find on childhood.


Eunhyuk tried to separate them, knowing Ryeowook probably felt uncomfortable with the attack of skinship. “Ew. You’re being mushy again” he criticized still trying to drag away the boy who was desperately holding onto Ryeowook. “Yah. We have to go home, idiotic fish” Eunhyuk whined already tired from the other stubbornness. They reached the point where they paths divided – Eunhyuk and Donghae were neighbors so they had to turn left, while Kyuhyun and Ryeowook lived following the path ahead until both had to part ways as well.


Unwillingly, Donghae released Ryeowook, pouting adorably. “See you tomorrow, Wookie and GameKyu” Eunhyuk said while animatedly waving his arms while saying his farewells. Ryeowook stared at the two figures moving away, quickly hitting Kyuhyun’s arm. “Ouch! What was that for?” Little Kyuhyun questioned indignantly for being hit without any reason.


“They are addressing me with that girly nickname of yours!” Ryeowook accused while pointing his finger at Kyuhyun, who simply ignored the rude act. “I am innocent!” the gamer tried to reason out while making a puppy face in order to coax his friend into being nicer to him – why was he the only one who was hit by Ryeowook? “No good! Puppy looks doesn’t have any effect… but fish looks might have?” Ryeowook concluded frowning a bit while deciding how Donghae’s expressions should be addressed as.


They steps haltered as they had to wait the signal to turn green for pedestrians, meanwhile Kyuhyun raised his eyebrow while wondering the fish look in his mind, but a real fish appeared in his mind instead – and it wasn’t cute at all. “How is a fish look supposed to be?” the gamer tilted his head with curiosity, trying to figure out if he was able to copy one. “… Why only fish looks?” he added the question with annoyance after deciding he was unable to do such expression.


The other blinked, laughing at his friend foolishly contorting his features in order to make the expression. “So many questions” Ryeowook complained while trying to remember each question to answer it. “Eh. Maybe because I like the sea and everything related to it?” he concluded while wondering if that was the reason why Donghae was so cute in his eyes.


A deep frown painted the gamer’s features, seemingly trying to understand what was so amazing about it. “Fishes are not cute! You are weird!” little Kyuhyun pouted, starting to walk again as the signal allowed them. “Am not!” Ryeowook defensively answered, quickly sticking his tongue out, which became a common act to do lately – it was still better than being hit continuously, Kyuhyun thought.

----------------------------------------------------

Days passed by slowly for Ryeowook, since his friends were always busy with practicing the stupid dance. Lunch time now was very boring and, once it ended, the two neighbors would be bickering – like always – and Kyuhyun would keep quiet. None of them spoke of details of the presentation, which made the cute boy’s curiosity to increase.


Summarizing, the entire month was peaceful – due to the lack of their time to spend playing with each other. The day of the presentation finally arrived, which was a relief for little Ryeowook, luckily his parents were able to go, so he would have the opportunity to discover the mystery behind the performance. Many classes were going to perform, each one with their unique ideas. Ryeowook shifted in his seat anxiously when his class was announced.


Ryeowook blinked once he spotted his friends, a smile creeping in his delicate features, soon followed by high pitched laughs from him. Seemingly, the teacher had the amazing idea of doing things inversed – apparently she thought it would be cute – so the boys were wearing girl’s clothes. Donghae was smiling brightly, since he was allowed to wear male clothes, while the other boys were all wearing suffering expressions.


Little Ryeowook was actually impressed that Eunhyuk looked really pretty in a dress. On the other hand, his laughter erupted again as his gaze rested on a moody Kyuhyun wearing a cute red dress with a pink ribbon behind. Unexpectedly, the gamer happened to spot his friend on the audience, immediately freezing – how he wished to have the ability to either erase memories or vanish instantly from the place. Unfortunately, Kyuhyun was unable of doing those, so he simply chose to avoid looking directly at his friend.


It was very entertaining watching the performance, especially for Ryeowook who was still laughing. Hastily, the petite boy went to meet with them, because he needed to tease them about the embarrassing show. As Ryeowook approached the other three, he mockingly said “You look cute” Which caused both that were dressed as girls to growl in dissatisfaction.


“Why you didn’t tell me?” Ryeowook questioned pouting indignantly, as his friends kept him in dark about the entire presentation. “I was sure you wouldn’t watch, so I could bring this embarrassing thing with me to my grave” Kyuhyun whined as wanted to rip that dress and wear real clothes – boy’s clothes that is. “Wait. Do you think my parents recognized me?” his eyes widened in realization that his parents would be watching him in the audience.


“Duh. Of course they recognized and probably took tons of photos.” Eunhyuk sarcastically answered the obvious question while rolling his eyes. “And like I would reveal the most embarrassing thing from my entire life” the monkey added looking at his dress with a disgusted expression. Donghae was just giggling as low as he could in the corner, while the other two were obviously dissatisfied with the entire idea.


“No!!!!” little Kyuhyun fell on the floor, screaming that word like his life ended in that particular night. Ryeowook tilted his head while eyeing with curiosity the quiet fish, who simply explained. “They didn’t let me tell you” Donghae simply shrugged innocently, causing Ryeowook to smile.


Somehow, Ryeowook was relieved that Kyuhyun did not talk about the performance anymore because of that reason, and not because he would like to keep his moments with Seohyun as a secret. What was that feeling again?


Nah.


Ryeowook was too young to understand those feelings, or worry about them… but surely that was the beginning of them being considered as bothersome.

----------------------

sorry if it's lame OTL

I am posting a lot lately, aren't I? OTL -gets kicked-
Eh? I don't know if it's a good thing but for those who dislike kid!kyuwook, don't worry OTL it'll end soon
 

Also, for those who dislike fluff OTL idk just stop reading, or not XDD since I am turning into an angst writer according to Violet OTL OTL

 

The original doesn't contain any angst though (I think) but it was supposed to have UGH OTL DON'T BE SURPRISED IF THERE ARE 

 

why am I even warning this? OTL