Numb, dumb, numb

Marry me Baekhyun!

For the rest of the week, I decided to skip school until the bruises were gone. 

I knew that people were going to create rumors about me, starting with Yeri, but it was obvious the rumors would fade soon enough. 

I stared up at the sky while I was still in my bed, and stayed there, just watching the clouds go by. 

Ironically, an airplane passed just then, as if it read my thoughts. 

Baekhyun was back.

_

Baek's POV:

 

I returned to Korea as soon as I could, and wanted to go as fast as I could to Heeyoung's house. I had gotten a call the day before about what happened to Heeyoung, and it was unforgivable of that man to do something like that to MY fiance. 

I had no idea that I was all over the news, until I got off the plane and had fans shoving themselves into me, and all asking the same question. 

"How could you do something like that to your fiance?" At this point, I was completely clueless until I got into the car. My manager threw the newspaper into my lap and sighed. 

"Looks like the reporters were trailing every single step you took." I opened the newspaper, and my face was on the front page... along with Heeyoung and Taeyoen sunbae's. 

"I warned you before to be careful since there was already suspicion between you two, but this... this is something that is too careless. If I was your fiance, I would want to break the engagement off right away." 

-

I drove to Heeyoung's house and sat in my car right outside Heeyoung's house. I was gathering courage together, and picked up my phone. After three rings, the line was picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Baekhyun. I'm in front of your house right now Mrs. Lee."

"Oh... my husband and I are out of the house at this current moment, but Heeyoung should be at home.... goodluck!" With that, she hung up and I got out of the car. 

I rang the door bell, but no one opened the door. I rang it again, and there still came no response. I was about to dial Heeyoung's number when I noticed 30 missed calls and 20 voicemails. 

With shaking hands, I pressed the button and listened to every single one of them. They consisted of Heeyoung crying and begging for me to pick up, and many of them were of her saying she had to talk with me. 

When the last voicemail was done, I rang the door bell repeatedly and constantly while I dialed Heeyoung's number. Right then, the door opened and I came face to face with Heeyoung... who was covered in bruises and scratches. 

"h-hey."

"...."

"I'm back"

".......yeah"

"No welcome back hug? I saw you called me 30 times and left 20 voicemails which I heard every single one by the way!" 

I tried to keep my smile natural, but Heeyoung's face was expressionless, but not cold. 

Then all of a sudden, she broke into a smile. 

But I have never seen this smile before. It was cruel and cold.

 

Heeyoung's POV:

 

I could not believe this.

Baek was standing right in front of me, but he was acting as if nothing happened. He started to attempt to casually pass the fact I was bawling in those voicemails. 

Without realizing, the corners of my lips turned up and I was smiling at him, but there was no emotion behind them. 

And Baekhyun had realized that too. 

"Welcome back. You must be tired. Would you like to come in?" I opened the door further, and pointed inside. Baekhyun was still for a minute until he took a step forward. He laced his arms around my shoulders and engulfed me in his embrace. 

The scratches all over my body from attempting to erase the touch I remembered were stinging and hurting very badly, as well as the bruises. How did he not mention anything about it? I was in so much pain, and I started to slightly whimper. 

Baekhyun slightly loosened and started to lean in towards my lips. I stayed still, but did not close my eyes. 

Instead, I lowered my head and cleared my throat. 

"You should come in, it's cold." I turned and walked into my house, not feeling anything in my heart except for pain. 

Baekhyun quietly followed and I could see that he was in some pain as well. It was good that he took notice of the fact I didn't react when he hugged and attempted to kiss me. 

I sat down on the couch, and Baekhyun sat down next to me. I could see him eyeing my bruises, and he lifted his fingertips and traced the bruises on my cheek. They felt warm and relaxing, but every second I was with him reminded me of the newspaper. 

"Why are you here for? You must be tired." Baekhyun stopped tracing the bruises, and sighed. 

"I heard about what happened yesterday... I thought I should come." 

I. THOUGHT. I. SHOULD. COME.?! At this point, I was slowly getting more furious by the second, and this was the limit. 

I got up and picked up two pieces of paper and pen. Baekhyun trailed behind me and tried to look over my shoulder. I started to write furiously and tried to cover as much of the paper as well as I could. 

When I was done, I handed the paper and pen to Baekhyun and I could feel the tears in my eyes. 

"Sign here." 

"What... what is this?" 

"Our contract." 

"Contract? For what? How many hugs I can-" I took the paper from him and started to read out loud.

"In the next three months, I agree to do anything that will make this engagement look as real as possible. However, once those three months are done, I promise to leave the other person's life. During the three months, each party of the engagement may meet whoever they wish-" Baekhyun took the paper from me and ripped it apart. 

"Are you out of your mind? Why are you doing this to me?"

I picked up another piece of paper, and started to write the same thing. He once again ripped the paper apart, and we repeated for another two pieces of paper. Finally, Baek grabbed my shoulders and pinned me against the wall. 

The impact was quite hard, and the bruises and scratches were aching, and some I could even feel slightly cut open again. I still showed no emotions and stared straight into his eyes. 

"Why you ask? I don't know you can question the fact that I bawling in the voicemails, and you decide to make a joke out of it. The fact you never called ONCE while I cried for you everyday. Better yet, I was almost and you tell me you felt like you SHOULD come. I was making a huge effort to connect with you, but what do I see? Your FACE and MY face and THAT GIRL'S face on the newspaper. DO YOU HAVFE ANY IDEA WHAT I WAS GOING THROUGH?" 

Baekhyun was speechless, and I looked away as tears threatened to spill. 

"I'm okay if you want to use me as your toy and throw me away. I'm really okay with it, because I DO like you. But it's becoming too painful to act like everything is okay. Especially since I'm the only one that cares about this engagement." 

"Go home now." I walked past him and was on my way to my room when he grabbed the bottom of my shirt and pulled it over and off me. 

"WHAT ARE YOU-" Baekhyun stared at my back, and shook his head. 

"This is what I caused?" 

I was unaware of what he was talking about until I saw myself in the mirror ahead of me. I was trying to cover my body that was covered in pain. I saw my face and my figure which had lost so much weight, I was starting to see the outlines of my ribs. Baekhyun's face was in full shock ,and tears started to spill down his cheek.

"This is what I caused." this time it was a statement. I stood still and saw my shirt that was in his hand. It had paint lines of blood, and I realized that the cuts on my back had reopened. Apparently, when the man pinned me against the wall, he had somehow caused the cuts. I closed my eyes and moved away, snatching my shirt. 

I put the shirt back on, slightly wincing when the shirt touched the cut. 

I looked away from Baekhyun, feeling embarrased, but Baekhyun was staring straight at me with tears. 

"I.... I'm... I..." I closed my eyes and ce again. 

"GO. HOME." I went to my room and slammed the doors just as I heard Baekhyun's footstep behind me. .

He knocked on my door and was pleading. 

"Open the door Heeyoung, please, I need to talk with you. That's not what I meant when I was saying those things. I don't like Taeyeon sunbae either, I wanted to pick up the phone, but I was too busy, and it was just so hectic, I'm sorry!" 

I stayed, crouching against the door, and I could hear Baekhyun crying now. It pained my heart, but this was too much for me to handle. I remained silent as tears slid down my cheek, and eventually, Baekhyun stopped knocking. 

"I'll leave you now, but I'm coming again tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that. I'm coming back until you forgive me." 

I heard his footsteps walking further and further away from me, then I heard the front door close. When I heard the engine of his car roar, I started to let out the sob I was holding in. 

-

The next day was similar to the day before, except for the time when Baekhyun came. My parents were out of the house again, probably trying to give me and Baekhyun some "make-up" time. He and I sat with our backs on eachother's except the door was between us. 

"Heeyoung... I really like you you know?"

"Yeah, sure."

"No. I really, really do." 

"There has been new rumors about you and HER."

"....."

"....."

"Can you... never mind."

"What?"

"I.... I don't like how you refer to Tae sunbae as HER."

Great. He had a nickname for her, and he cared about what people called her by. Never before in the times I was called , desperate, clingy, stalker, etc., has Baekhyun defended me, or gotten mad. 

This was making me insanely jealous.

I sighed and stayed silent, for the rest of the conversation he was trying to make, until he went home with another vow of returning the next day. 

This continued for about a week, from going to talking and progress to one of us saying something stupid and ending in awkward silence. My parents who seemed to have noticed the "not much improvement," decided to step in. 

"Heeyoung, we will be having dinner with Baekhyun and his family tonight." 

"WHAT?" My parents gave me a stern look to watch my tone, but this point flew over my head. I stormed upstairs and locked my door before grabbing my phone angrily off the table. I pressed Hana who was number 3 on my speed dial, and bit my lip.

"hello?"

"Hana?"

"yeah, what's up?"

"I have a dinner date with Baekhyun AND his parents TONIGHT."

"Oh...."

"Yeah. OH."

"What should I do?"

"*SIGH* you know Heeyoung... I'm gonna be honest with you."

"Yes?"

"Baekhyun is really trying to make an effort, and it's time you give him a chance."

"What?"

"If he really didn't care about you, he wouldn't even be at your house every night and trying to talk with you. I know a lot has happened, but it's time for you to grow up and face it. You can't avoid him for long, you know." 

".....fine."

"GOOOOOOD GIRRRRLLLLL" After talking more about random topics with Hana, I hung up and decided to look for clothes that would be good for tonight's event. 

As I rumaged through my closet, I noticed in the mirror that my scars and bruises were barely noticeable. In fact, with just the right amount of make up, it would be completely nonexistent. 

-

When the time came, I tried to dress the best I could that would fit the occasion. 

483217.jpg

My parents who looked please with the look got in the car as I did. 

-

We arrived at the grand hotel that his parents were reserving, and I got off with a sigh. For the first time in a long time, my heart was racing because of actual excitement and pleasant feeling. 

When the doors opened and we all stepped into the room that Baekhyun was supposed to be waiting in, I held my breath. 

HE was sitting there with a smile on his face that look extremely genuine. 

HE was looking at me directly in the eyes. 

HE was blushing.

I was smiling. 

_______________________________________________________________________________