Chapter 8: Attempting to Avoid the Inevitable

Touch Me...If Only for a Moment

Author's Note: Pink thoughts are Bom and dark blue thoughts Top!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Bommie-yah where are you going?!"

 

 

Bom spun around seeing her cousin staring confusedly at her, while rubbing her eyes. Bom had unintentionally woken her up.

 

 

"Oh, umm I'm just getting to work early Dara. You can go back to sleep now." 

 

 

Bom was eager to get out of that house. If she stayed any longer Dara would put two and two together and Bom wasn’t quite ready for another interrogation--at least not so early in the morning.

 

 

"Bommie we don't have work for another two hours! Why do you want to get there so soon? I’m an overachiever as well but being two hours earlier is bit much." Dara narrowed her eyes suspiciously at her now panicky cousin.

 

 

Aish, she's growing suspicious of you Bommie--think of something! 

 

 

"Ohh well you see...Mr. Choi asked me to come in earlier for today, he wanted me to file some sort of papers for him." Bom's gaze shifted from Dara to the floor. She couldn’t bare to look her cousin in the eye knowing she was lying right to her face.

 

 

"Oh. Okay then Bom but why didn’t you just say that in the first place? Be safe then on your way to work! There's crazy drivers out at this time in the morning!"

 

 

"Mhmm! I will!" 

 

 

Bom glanced down at her phone checking for the time. 

 

 

"Oh shoot! The bus should be here any minute! Bye Unnie! I’ll see you at work!" She said as she quickly rounded up her things before flying out the door leaving Dara all alone.

 

 

*Yawn* "Hmm...well I'm gonna go back to sleep now before I end up looking like a a zombie and scaring everyone in sight." And with that said Dara went back to sleep.

 

 

Phew! That was close! Bom sighed to herself.

 

 

Opening the door to the world outside, Bom breathed in deeply, feeling the moist, cool air flow through her lungs.

 

 

Bom had hoped this was going to be a good day, but that thought had all but died once she knew she would meet with Seunghyun once again. The idea of having to come face to face with that guy who insulted her yesterday made her shudder.

 

 

Hopping onto the nearly empty bus, Bom took a seat at the front. She opened the window up hoping the wind would blow her troubles away. She felt the sharp, refreshing breeze flow through her hair.

 

 

 Aigoo...I forgot about breakfast! Now I have to listen to everything Seunghyun tells me to do but on an empty stomach!

 

 

Bommie loved her food, and would only skip breakfast in the most dire of situations. She regretted not packing the leftover corn from last night's dinner for her lunch.

 

 

Reaching her destination point, Bom got off the bus. Looking up at the towering Choi headquarters, worry lines and feelings of regret began to show up again on her face.

 

 

"Well, it’s better to just get this over with now. Don’t worry, it might not be as bad as you think Bommie!" She reassured herself as she entered the building or as she saw it--her new source of anguish.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

"Omo! Park Bom you're here! And earlier than I expected!"

 

 

Bom entered the modern designed office, where Mr. Choi stood and grinned brightly at her.

 

 

Aigoo...he looks really cheery this morning. That makes one of us!

 

 

"Neh!" She beamed back, returning a smile.

 

 

"This is fantastic! I can't wait for you to start working for my son! With a bright young lady as yourself working for him, he’ll be back to the way he was in no time!"

 

 

Bom gulped-- in fact quite loudly. Mr. Choi however didn’t catch it, thanks to his not-so-keen sense of intuition.

 

 

"Mr. Choi, I wouldn't get your hopes up.... I don't think a person is able to change as quickly as you might think.... I’m no miracle-worker." Bom spoke with the essence of hesitance in her voice.

 

 

Mr. Choi blinked twice before responding to Bom’s last words. He loudly chuckled, the deep sound resonating throughout the room.

 

 

"Oh Park Bom, you are a riot! What you say is true. No human being is able to change what took about two years in the making." He spoke referring to Seunghyun’s changes over the years.

 

 

“I don’t know what happened to my son that made him the way he is now, but all I’m hoping for is that someone as bright and cheery as yourself can hopefully rub off on him. That is my sincere hope in promoting you Miss Park.” 

 

 

Oh, I'm not so sure about that...

 

 

"I understand that Mr. Choi, but I wouldn’t want you to get too hopeful. It was just one conversation. It's possible that he was just in a good mood that day and I happened to walk in at the right time. Besides-"

 

 

"Park Bom don't worry! I don’t want to pressure you but please try your best okay? Fighting!"

 

 

Mr. Choi is right Bom, you can at least try and hope for the best!

 

 

"Neh. Fighting!”

 

 

Mr. Choi's face suddenly turned thoughtful as he faced away from her and glanced out the large window, eyes squinted against the sun.

 

 

"Miss Park, do you know what it's like to have someone you love and care for abruptly shun you and not want anything to do with you? Have you ever felt that feeling?"

 

 

Bom tried to look into her past to find an example, but all she could come up with were fickle elementary school friendships; where a kid would be your best friend one day and then the next you're off with a new best friend.

 

 

"Aniyo...but I don't see how that-"

 

 

"Wouldn't you do anything to get that once loving person back again? Especially if it that person was the only family you had left?"

 

 

Bom was stunned. Seunghyun was all Mr. Choi had left? What happened to his wife? Brothers and sisters? Cousins? Were they all...distant? Disputing? Maybe even possibly...deceased?

 

 

"My wife was a wonderful woman, caring and virtuous...she brought my beautiful son into this world. I loved her, yet I made her go through so much in our marriage. She put up with all of my crazy antics!” He laughed.

 

 

“And when she passed, that’s when I first noticed my dear son drifting away from me.”

 

 

His face turned distant. It was almost as if you could see all the pain that had been tucked away deep inside his heart written on his face.

 

 

"That's why, Park Bom, I’m asking this favor of you. Please...."

 

 

His vulnerable pained expression was too much for her. She just couldn't say no at this point.

 

 

"Alright Mr. Choi, I'll do it. I'll make your son better in no time!"

 

 

Bom tried to put on the most charming, positive smile that she could, hoping it would reassure him.

 

 

"Thank you Miss Park! Without you I--"

 

 

*Screech!*

 

 

The sound of shoes coming to an abrupt halt against the polished marble floors scared the living daylights out of Bom. She turned around, already anticipating who it was that was behind her.

 

 

"Appa. Why is she here? And what could you be possibly thanking her for?" The low husky voice boomed.

 

 

"Ah! Seunghyun you’re here! Come join us, I have some outstanding news for you!"

 

 

"I’ll stand." He coldly responded but was hardly expressionless.

 

His brows furrowed and eyes narrowed, as his jaw locked. Bom even swore that his hands were clenched too. She could tell he was trying to hold in as much of his anger as possible.

 

 

"Suit yourself then! This young lady here--I'm sure you remember her from yesterday--is the beautiful Park Bom. Starting today she will be your new assistant!"

 

 

"What? Oh no she's not! I won't have it. I refuse!" He flat out stated.

 

 

"Seunghyun don't play hard to get, now be respectful and greet her properly."

 

 

"I will do no such thing. I don't approve of this."

 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo! Park Bom-nida!" She bowed. "I'll try my best to keep your needs fulfilled and tasks accomplished." She bowed respectfully.

 

 

"Like you could even dream of having the ability to understand the complexity that is my job. Appa I don't want ‘this’, ” he pointed at Bom. “ ,intervening with my work. I was doing fine with my last secretary. Get her back and kick this one out."

 

 

"I'm afraid that's not possible Seunghyun. Your last secretary just got married and moved away to America. You would know that if you had payed attention to her."

 

 

"It doesn't matter. I don't want this girl! She won't be able to do anything, let alone get me decent coffee in the morning!"

 

 

"Nonsense, she’ll do just fine! Right Bommie?” 

 

 

Did he just call me Bommie?!

 

 

Did he just call her Bommie?! Since when have these two been so close that he calls her "Bommie" now?

 

 

“Ah...neh Mr.Choi.”

 

 

“Now you’re even calling her Bommie?!”

 

 

“Listen son, I chose her as your new assistant for a reason. I know once I leave things will go back to normal between you two, so I guess I should leave now!"

 

 

"But Mr. Choi--" Bom started.

 

 

"Oh look at the time! Another meeting! I'll see you later! I wouldn't stare at her too long Seunghyun, I wouldn't want you burning a hole in her!"

 

 

And on that awkward note he left. Knowing that she was now stuck with Mr. Choi’s arrogant son, Bom saw every last bit of her hope dissipate into the air...

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 Okay so the first time I uploaded this chapter something weird happened and it cut out an entire chunk out of the last scene -_-' But I just  fixed it, so enjoy guys! Second chapter coming up next! Sorry we didn't update our teachers this week must've all gotten together and decided to give us a buttload of work...it T^T! But no worries since we got everything done somehow lol!