Chapter 6: A Thing Of The Past

Place Your Bets [COMPLETED]

Yunho woke up on Sunday morning in a daze. He was still thinking about the kiss he shared with Seulgi the day before.

The scene kept on replaying in his mind, like a broken CD player.

Donghae then burst into the room. “Jaejoong! Yunho!!! Get your lazy butts out of bed and get dressed!!!”

“Hold your horses, Donghae, we’re already awake,” Jaejoong replied, stepping out of the bathroom, after taking a shower.

“Oh…yeah, right,” Donghae said, his voice quivering slightly.

Yunho curiously observed Donghae. He was a little shaky, and he was wearing his good pair of jeans, and his favorite shirt. Was he going to meet Hyojoo again?

“You look a bit… dressed up today, Donghae,” said Yunho as casually as he could. “Anything special gonna happen today?”

“I’ll tell you when Jae’s ready,” he replied.

Jaejoong cleared his throat. “I’ve been readily standing here for about five minutes.”
“Oh… huh?” Donghae said absently.

Jaejoong and Yunho looked at him, weirdly.

“Maybe he’s finally gonna tell us about Hyojoo,” Yunho thought to himself. He didn’t tell Donghae that he and Seulgi were stalking them on their date. They never found out.

The room was silent for a brief second.

“So what’s up with the get-up?” Jaejoong finally spoke up. He noticed the way Donghae was wearing his clothes, too.

“Huh? What do you mean?” asked Donghae innocently.
“Dude. You’re wearing your favorite shirt and your good jeans. Something’s definitely up.”
“Just spit it out,” added Yunho.

Donghae tried to control his nerves as he spoke. “Okay guys… you’ve probably been wondering what I’ve been doing these days. And I’m gonna tell you right here and right now.”

“So what is it?” asked Jaejoong.

“I’ve been meeting this girl.”

Jaejoong’s eyes widened at Donghae’s last sentence. “Oho!!! Dongie! A girlfriend, eh?”

Donghae shook his head. “Not my girlfriend. Well, not officially. We’re taking it slow.”

He looked at Yunho, to see what reaction he’d get.

Yunho just smiled and patted Donghae on the shoulder. “That’s great, man. I’m happy for you.”

He looked at Yunho, eyes narrowed. “Are you okay?”
“Hm??” Yunho replied.
“You seem… nicer these days. And your patience spam is longer now.”
“Yeah, he’s right,” added Jaejoong. His eyes narrowed as well. “This has nothing to do with Seulgi, right?” he asked suspiciously.

Yunho raised his eyebrows “Bwoh?”
“Aww, our Yunnie’s in love!” Jaejoong taunted. 
“Wait a minute. Then that means…” Donghae realized, looking at Jaejoong.
“WE WON THE BET!!!” they chorused.

“Woah, woah, woah, hold up for a minute,” said Yunho all of a sudden.

Jaejoong and Donghae looked at him. “I am not in love with that peasant,” said Yunho.
“Are you sure? You might wanna check again,” said Jaejoong.

“Guys, if I’m in love with that girl, I would have already admitted it!” he defended himself.
“Riiiight…” said Donghae, not believing him.

“Hey, Donghae, you haven’t told us why you’re dressed so nicely!” Yunho said, changing the topic.

Donghae’s jaw dropped and formed an ‘O’. “Right! We’re going out, guys!”

‘Okay, when I wanted to go out to the movies, you skip the offer, and now, you wanna got out, and you just expect us to go with you?!?!” shrieked Jaejoong.

“Uh. Dude, aren’t you just a liiittle touchy on the subject?” Donghae said, patting his back.
Jaejoong crossed his arms and looked away, stubbornly. “No.”

Yunho sighed. “Where are we going, anyway?”
“At that fancy restaurant downtown. Han Cuisine.”
“You mean, the one that serves all that French food?” Jaejoong asked, perking up.
Donghae nodded his head. “Yeap.”

“THEN WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!?!?!? LET’S GO PEOPLE!” Jaejoong screamed excitedly, racing to the door and he disappeared behind it in the span of a second.

“Uh… I have to shower first,” Yunho stated, as he looked down at his PJ’s.

Jaejoong ‘s head popped back in the door. “HURRY UP THEN!”


“You haven’t told us what we’re doing here,” Seulgi reminded Hyojoo as they took their seats in one of her family restaurants.

“You’ll find out later,” she replied.
“Omo, do you really own this place? It’s is so big,” Seulgi said, suddenly changing the subject.
“Yeah, isn’t it?” Hyojoo said. “We serve French cuisine here, though.”

Boa, who was sitting silently beside them, spoke up with excitement in her voice. “Oooh! I love French food! Especially escargot!”

Seulgi’s face crinkled in disgust. “Ew. You eat snails?”
Boa gave her a look. “Hey, they’re not as bad as you think!”
“Whatever you say, I still don’t wanna try ‘em. Even if this is my first time in a French restaurant, they still sound disgusting.”

“Oh, that’s right! This is a whole new experience for Seulgi!” Boa realized. “Don’t worry! I’ll get you addicted in no time!” she added, patting her on the shoulder.

“I have a bad feeling about this,” Seulgi muttered.

She stood up and excused herself. “I have to go to the bathroom.”

As Seulgi walked away, Boa turned to Hyojoo for conversation.

“So, what are we doing here?”
“I told, you, you’ll find out later.”
Boa gave up. Then she realized that they were sitting in a table for six. SIX. Not three. SIX.

“Uh… Hyojoo, why are we seated in a table that has space for three more people?”

But Hyojoo didn’t answer her, because she was waving to three guys, who were talking to the receptionist.

“I wanna show you that guy I’ve been talking about, I invited him and his friends over.”

Boa squinted her eyes. The guys looked familiar. Here eyes grew large as they walked closer to the table.

The three guys took their seats, directly across from the three girls, so one side had girls in it, and one side had guys. It looked like a speed- dating table.

She looked at the one who was right in front of her. Kim Jaejoong. And beside him was Yunho and Donghae, who was directly in front of Hyojoo.

“Woah woah woah, hold up,” Boa said, holding up one of her hands. “You’ve been seeing Lee Donghae???”

Hyojoo nodded. “ Surprised, huh?”

Boa looked straight and her eyes met Jaejoong’s. He gave her a weak smile, and she returned it by slightly twitching .

“Hmm… are you guys… acquainted or something?” Donghae asked, noticing the exchange between the two.

Boa looked at them with widened eyes. Jaejoong did the same.

“No no, we’re not acquainted in any way, no siree, we’re just school mates, who don’t even care if the others exist or not,” they said waving their hands in denial.

“Oookaaay, we get it,” Donghae replied, feeling suspicious. But he just shrugged it off, paying attention to Hyojoo.

Yunho suddenly stood up. “I have to go to the bathroom,” he said.

As he made his way, he thought of Seulgi. “Where could she be? Isn’t she Hyojoo’s friend? Why isn’t she here? Is she avoiding me? Was I a really bad kisser?”

So many questions were swimming in his head.

Seulgi sighed as she looked at her reflection in the bathroom mirror. She saw her lips, and absent mindedly touched them, thinking about the kiss. “What should I say to him, when I see him again? Aigoo, it’s gonna be so awkward!” she thought as she opened the door.

She fixed her blouse as she walked down the hallway, then felt herself bump into someone.

“Mianhae,” she said, bowing repeatedly.
“Gwenchana,” she heard a familiar voice say.

Seulgi looked up to see who it was. She regretted it, when she saw herself face to face with Yunho and froze on the spot. He was frozen, too.

After a long period of silence, Seulgi finally spoke up. “So what are you guys doing here?’
“We came with Donghae. He’s with Hyojoo, Boa and Jae right now.”
“Oh. So that’s why we came here. Hyojoo wanted us to officially meet Donghae.”
“Yeah.”

The atmosphere was wrapped with silence again and tension was growing.

“So, how are you coping, after yesterday’s…uhh…thing?”
“Oh, you mean the thing… where… our lips…?” Seulgi mumbled nervously, moving her fingers back and forth, pointing to her lips and Yunho’s.
“Yeah, the thing with our lips,” Yunho replied, doing the same action as Seulgi.
“Oh. That thing.”

And for the third time, it was silent again.

“You know what?” Yunho spoke up again. “That kiss was a thing of the past! Let’s just put it all behind us and not talk about it at all!”

Seulgi beamed. “Yeah! You’re right! For once, you actually used that old, barren head of yours!”

“Why you little…” Yunho raised his arm in annoyance. Then he stopped and laughed. “See? It’s working!!! We hate each other, again, pabo! We’re back to normal!”

“Yay! Seulgi cheered and did a happy dance. “But, we mustn’t mention this to anyone,” she said in a serious tone.”

“Of course, pabo!” Yunho replied. “It’ll be our little secret!”

“Aish, don’t call me pabo, you jerk!”
“It’s not my fault you’re so stupid!”
“Look who’s talking!”

And they continued bickering as they walked back to their table. Just like the way they used to be.

“I’ll put my fork down if you put down yours!”
“How am I supposed to trust you! Maybe you just want it for yourself!”
“Look who’s talking! I’ve seen you go all hungry-eyes when they landed on our table!”
“You’re the one who’s been stuffing your mouth, ever since they came here! Now gimme!”
“No way, this is the last piece!”

Hyojoo, Donghae, Yunho and Seulgi sighed simultaneously. The waiter served them a plate of escargot as and appetizer, and the two had been wolfing them down like there’s no tomorrow. It went on until there was only one piece left, and the two raced towards it. Now, both their forks were penetrated in the last piece of snail and World War III had broken out ever since.

“I’m a tiny, tiny person, I need my energy!” Boa fought.
“You already have too much energy for a tiny, tiny person, now give me the last piece!”
“Okay, we’ll take our forks off on three and we’ll share. Agreed?”
Jaejoong nodded his head. “Agreed.”
“Okay…” Boa said, holding up the fingers of her other hand. “One… two…THREE!!”

Both of them didn’t move their hands and their forks were still in the snail.

“TRAITOR! YOU WEREN’T GONNA LET GO IN THE FIRST PLACE!” Boa accused.
“BWOH?!?! YOU WEREN’T GONNA LET GO EITHER!”
“Just give up hand over the damn snail!!!”
“No way! You give up!”
“No, you!”
“No, you!”

Yunho couldn’t take it anymore. He took both of the forks, used one to take the last piece of escargot, and chucked it in the nearest trash can.

Boa and Jaejoong looked at him with horrified looks on their faces. Their jaws were hanging open and they looked like they just lost their most prized possessions.

“NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!” they screamed to the ceiling at the same time, their fists pumping into the air.
“Why, oh why? Why didn’t you just take me instead?!?!” Jaejoong yelled, depressed, as he thought of his darling escargot.
Boa silently sat there, trying to hold back her tears. “The last piece was always the best one,” she said after a while, sniffing.

“Gosh, you two are so melodramatic,” Seulgi exclaimed. “Right, Hyojoo?” she added.

She turned and saw Hyojoo and Donghae talking to each other, engaged in deep conversation, not paying attention to any of their surroundings.

Seulgi sighed. There was no use talking to Boa, since she and Jaejoong were being emo, due to the loss of their snail.

The only person there was left to talk to was Yunho. She didn’t feel like talking to him, since things were supposedly back to normal. She was bored.

“Yah, pabo,” he suddenly called.
Seulgi looked at him and he laughed.
“See? You really are a pabo! I called you pabo and you looked!” he laughed pointing a finger at her.

She frowned at him and said, “Bored, huh?”
His laughs evaporated as he replied, “AS HELL.”

The two of them chuckled, not getting why it became so funny all of a sudden.

They were just laughing, and they didn’t notice the other four people looking at them suspiciously.


Boa and Hyojoo sat at the principal’s office the following morning.

The principal had some news for them, so they were both excused from their classes.

“Ms. Kwon. Ms. Han,” he acknowledged them both.
Boa and Hyojoo looked at him with curious eyes.

“I suppose you know that the publishing of the school yearbook will be in a few weeks, time?”

The two nodded. “But we’re not even in the committee. Why are you telling us about this?” Boa asked.

“Neh, I was getting to that,” said the principal. “Ms. Han, you are the president of the photography club, and Ms. Kwon id the president of the fashion design club, am I correct?”

The two nodded again.

“Well, the yearbook committee wants to do a segment on fashion, and they suggested that the creations should be by one of the students, and they voted for Ms. Kwon. They also voted for the best photographer, and they wanted Ms. Han.”

Boa and Hyojoo looked at each other. Smiles slowly crept onto their faces as they realized what the principal was telling them. They both squealed with delight.

The principal smiled. “Well then, can you ladies start this weekend?”

Boa and Hyojoo nodded their heads excitedly.

They stood up and bowed repeatedly, saying thanks over and over again.

After school, Boa and Hyojoo went straight to the room, to discuss their new assignment. Seulgi was still working on that chem. project with Yunho, after neglecting it for so long.

“So, I was thinking that we should totally put one of my master pieces in, as the grand finale!” Boa was saying, as she showed Hyojoo her design.

Hyojoo smiled and approved at the idea.

Then there was a change of topic.

“Hey, did you notice something about Seulgi and Yunho lately? They seem to get along now.” Hyojoo stated.
“Yeah, I noticed that too!” Boa replied.

An idea suddenly found its way into Hyojoo’s mind.

“Boa, how many models do you need for the shoot??”
“Well, I only need, one but I need two for the last segment. Why? Are you thinking of something sneaky?”
“Hmm… define ‘sneaky’”
“Well, by sneaky, I mean, are you thinking about a certain someone and another certain someone doing a certain something?”
“Well, if those two certain people you’re thinking about are what I’m thinking about, than, yes, very sneaky.”
“Ooh, I like the sound of this,” Boa said as she and Hyojoo mischievously plotted.

 

<3--------------------------------

 

[a/n: Suspense? Haha.]

Sorry, if it’s not that good, though…Mianhae!!