Chapter 14: That 3-letter Word (A BoJoong Sidestory)

Place Your Bets [COMPLETED]

hey guys! sorry for the late update!!! i've been really busy these past few days!!!

anyways. here it is!!

Boa fiddled with the heart pendant Jaejoong gave her for Christmas. It was dangling from its silver chain, which was worn around her wrist, and seemed to shine in the sunlight.

Boa bit her lip. “Should I just say it?” she thought. It had already been about two months since he confessed to her. And he did so much for her already. But was his playboy image gone for good this time?

She sunk her head into her pillow, confusion filling her mind.

“GAH, I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!” she screamed.

“What can’t you take anymore?” Seulgi asked, as she walked in the room.

“Life,” Boa simply said.

Seulgi just nodded, not quite understanding where her friend was going. She continued minding her own business.

“You’re not gonna ask me what the matter is???’ Boa whined.

Seulgi shook her head, an apologetic look on her face. “Sorry, can’t. Gonna teach Yunho how to ride a bike.”

Boa raised her eyebrows. “He doesn’t know how to ride a bike?”

“Don’t ask,” was all Seulgi replied.

Boa shrugged and just went back to her problems.

“Oh, and good luck in solving your guy problem,” Seulgi said before leaving.
“How did you-“ Boa began.
“Written all over you face,” Seulgi replied, cutting her off.

Boa just kept silent as the door closed behind her.

“Ottoke?” she asked herself, chewing on her fingernails.

Jaejoong was lying down on his bed. He kept on moving and changing his positions. He was thinking about Boa.

“What’s taking her so long?!?!?!” he shouted in his head. “Okay, breathe, Kim Jaejoong. In. Out. In. Out.”

Yunho, who was sitting on the chair by his desk, was watching him breathe in and out as of he was having contraptions.

“Are you okay?” he asked cautiously.

Jaejoong gave him a look that made it obvious that he was definitely not okay.

“Okay, you’re not okay,” he said. Then he looked at the time. “Whoops, gotta go. Seulgi’s gonna teach me how to-,“ he stopped mid sentence and blushed. “Never mind. I’ll just get out now,” he said and bolted out the door as fast as he could.

Jaejoong sighed and looked at the ceiling. “Well, Kim Jaejoong, if you can’t wait any longer, you’re just gonna have to give it your all.”

As Boa shuffled down the hall after class, she heard running footsteps behind her and her name being called out by a familiar voice.

“Hey, Jaejoong,” she greeted and flashed him a beautiful smile.
Jaejoong beamed. Her smile always brightened up his day.

He caught up with her and they started walking together, conversing as they went.

A figure in front suddenly walked towards them. At first, it was difficult to see who the person was, but as soon as he came into view, Boa beamed.

“Well, well, well… if it isn’t the beautiful Ms. Kwon Boa,” he said.
Boa’s eyes lit up as she ran towards him, her arms open for a tight hug.

“Hyun Joong Oppa!!!” she exclaimed, throwing her arms around him.
Hyun Joong smiled, wrapping his arms around her small body, as well.

“Oppa?!?!?!” Jaejoong repeated in his head. “Is she for real???”

“No, you’re probably just thinking stuff, Jaejoong,” he told himself. “Snap out of it!”. He started feeling better about himself already.

“Do you know how much I missed you??” Boa, said on mock anger, playfully slapping his arm. She pouted cutely.
Hyun Joong smiled. “Hey, why do you think I flew here all the way from Spain?”

Boa giggled and hugged his arm. He turned her in front of him and kissed her forehead.

And without any warning, Jaejoong’s insides boiled. Before he could stop it, he cleared his throat.

Boa, who forgot about his presence, due to the sudden appearance of Hyun Joong, turned to him in alarm.

“Oh! I forgot!” she said, slapping her forehead. She went in between the two guys.

“Oppa, this is my good friend, Jaejoong. Jaejoong, this my Hyun Joong oppa.”

“Hi,” Hyun Joong offered his hand to shake Jaejoong’s. He took it and stiffly returned the handshake.

Hyun Joong looked at him in confusion, not getting why a guy he just met would have a great sense of dislike on him already.

“Umm…well, I have to go do something,” Jaejoong mumbled weakly.

Boa looked a bit crestfallen. She wanted Hyun Joong and Jaejoong to get to know each other. Plus, she wanted to spend time with him. She covered it up with a smile.

“Okay then! I’ll see ya around?” she said as cheerily as she could manage.
Jaejoong managed to mumble a soft “Yeah.”

She turned to Hyun Joong. “You owe me three years of piggy-back rides, mister.”

Hyun Joong chuckled. He turned his back on her and bent down. “Well, hop on, mi lady!”

Boa giggled and rode on him, bidding Jaejoong goodbye.

As they went away, Jaejoong felt his chest hurt. But he mentally slapped himself and shook his head.

“Oh, no you don’t, Kim Jaejoong,” he told himself. “You’re not gonna give up on her just like that.”

Hyun Joong carried Boa along school compound. They stopped and rested for a while on a bench catching their breath and talking.

“So, how are ahjumma and ahjussi?” Boa asked.
“Pretty good,” Hyun Joong replied. “They miss you too.”
Boa smiled. “Ah! I wish we can have another one of those family gatherings!” she said, stretching.
“Haha, yeah… they’re the best!”

The atmosphere was wrapped in a comfortable silence for a while.

“So, how’s everything else in Spain?” she asked. “Find any hot Latina girls?” she teased.
Hyun Joong nodded his head playfully. “Oh yeah, I’m the bomb there,” he said, showing off his muscles. He then looked at Boa slyly.

“Speaking of which…” he began. “I’ve noticed that you’ve been setting your eyes on that Jaejoong guy,” he said, raising his eyebrows up and down mischievously.

Boa slapped him on the arm. “That’s none of your business!”
Hyun Joong pouted. “Aww, c’mon! I haven’t seen my cousin for, like three years, and this is all the gossip I get?!?!?”
“Ha-ha, you’re probably only thinking of stuff to tell So Eun, anyway, so you two can blackmail me.”
“Hey, my sister has nothing to do with this!” he defended.

Yes, Boa and Hyun Joong are cousins. They grew up together, with his sister, Kim So Eun, who was three years younger than Boa. But then three years ago, they had to migrate to Spain, because their father started a business there.

“How is So Eun, anyway?” Boa asked.
“Oh, she’s cool and everything. BUT DON’T CHANGE THE SUBJECT, KWON BOA!” he lightly flicked her forehead.

Boa huffed. “Damn, I was so close.”
Hyun Joong patted her head. “Still the same, I see. Now, tell me about this Jaejoong of yours.”
“Man, you sound like So Eun wanting to hear some boy talk,” she stated.

Hyun Joong gave her a look and Boa cleared .

“Okay, fine… Jaejoong is…” she began.
Hyun Joong tilted his head curiously to the side.
“He’s a guy who’s courting me,” she finished.

“Wow,” Hyun Joong said. “My dongsaeng is growing up, I see,” he said.
Boa slapped him on the arm again, but she let a smile slip from .
“So, do you like him back?” he asked.
Boa blushed and nodded her head.
“Then how come you’re leaving him hanging??” Hyun Joong asked curiously.

She smiled. “I like playing hard to get.”

Hyun Joong laughed. “You’ve never really changed, have you?”

Boa gave him an evil smile.

The next day, the gang, minus Jaejoong was at their usual cafeteria table.

“Hey Seulgi,” guess who came to surprise me yesterday,” Boa said excitedly.
Seulgi looked up at her with sleepy eyes. She had been out the whole day yesterday, teaching Yunho how to ride a bike, and they were gonna do it again tonight. He was really determined to learn.

“Who?” Seulgi asked tiredly.

“HYUN JOONG OPPA!” Boa exclaimed.
Seulgi eyes widened instantly. “Oh my god! I had such a huge crush on him back then!”

She blushed, thinking about her crazy little infatuation with Boa’s cousin when they were kids. She looked across the table, and swore that Yunho had some kind of angry spark in his eyes.

“Who’s he?” Hyojoo, who was sitting next to them asked.
“A guy we grew up with,” Seulgi said simply.
Hyojoo nodded in understanding and continued to talk to her boyfriend, who was sitting across her.

Jaejoong suddenly appeared out of nowhere, sitting next to Yunho, across Boa.

He waved two tickets in front of her face. “Movie?” he asked.

Boa slowly shook her head. “Sorry, Jae. Gonna go fishing with Hyun Joong Oppa later…” she gave him an apologetic face.

Jaejoong did his best not to look too bummed. “Oh… it’s okay then.”

He turned to Hyojoo and Donghae, who were still in a world of their own.

“Free tickets?” Jaejoong offered, handing them to Donghae. The couple beamed.

“Thanks!” they said in unison.

“What does that Hyun Joong guy have that I don’t?!?!?!” Jaejoong exasperatedly exclaimed that afternoon.

“Have you even seen him?” Yunho asked. He was polishing his new bicycle gear.
“Yeah, and he and Boa were so close, they were like stuck together,” he said angrily. He then turned to Yunho and saw what he was doing. “What’s with the bike gear?”
Yunho shook him off and went back to the subject. “So what’re you planning to do?”

Jaejoong thought for a moment. “I’m gonna fight for her.”

“Is she worth it?” Yunho asked.

Jaejoong thought of all the things he shared with Boa. “Definitely.”

“So, do you think Jaejoong’s jealous of Hyun Joong?” Hyojoo asked straightforwardly, as she and Boa were in the room. Seulgi was out with Yunho and his new bike.

“Bwoh?” Boa said. “Why would he be jealous of my cousin? He knows I like him.”

Hyojoo shrugged. “He just looked really dejected when you turned him down this afternoon.

Boa turned to her with big eyes. “But I had to spend time with Hyun Joong oppa! It’s been so long since we’ve seen each other! Maybe Jaejoong will understand…”

Hyojoo shrugged again. “I guess…”

Jaejoong took his seat next to Boa on Monday morning.

“Hey, wanna go to the park after school today?” he asked her.
She gave him an apologetic look. “Sorry. Movie with Hyun Joong oppa today.”

On Tuesday, he met her at the cafeteria.

“I heard there’s this cool new restaurant in town,” he stated.
She beamed at him and his hopes raised. “Oh yeah! I’ve been wanting to go there ever since I heard it was opening!”

Jaejoong smiled. “So, you wann-“
“By the way, Hyun Joong oppa’s taking me there, too!”

On Wednesday, they met outside their dorms rooms.

“Fishing!” Jaejoong said, as he held up the rods to Boa’s face.
“Well, have fun!” she replied. “Hyun Joong oppa’s taking me go-kart racing!”

On Thursday, they were talking while running laps and P.E. class.

“So, there’s this guy, and he walks into a bar…” Jaejoong began telling her a joke.
But before he could finish, Boa was laughing like a maniac. “Oh my god, I love that joke! Hyun Joong oppa told it to me yesterday!”

On Friday, Jaejoong cornered Boa at homeroom.

“So, I’ve been thinking that we should-“
“Not today, Jae! Hyun Joong oppa and I are going skating at the mall! Sorry!”

Jaejoong plopped down his bed on Saturday.

“Oh my god, I’m losing her!” he whimpered. To Donghae, who was sitting on his own bed.

“Well, maybe they’re just friends,” Donghae suggested.

Jaejoong looked up at him and gave him a look. “Have you seen them together?”. He put two of his fingers together and showed it to him. “They’re inseparable!”

Donghae felt sorry for Jaejoong. But, not experiencing this kind of problem before, he didn’t know how to approach the situation.

“So, what’re you gonna do now?” he asked.

Jaejoong continued to stare at the ceiling. “I think it’s time I ask her how she really feels.”
“Feels about what?”
“Me.”

Boa and Hyun Joong were hanging out at the ice cream parlor on Saturday afternoon.

“I can’t believe you’re going home so soon!” she said, pouting.

Hyun Joong reached across the table and ruffled her hair. “I don’t wanna leave either, kid, but duty calls,” he said.

“Hmm…I guess…” Boa sighed.
Hyun Joong smirked. “But, at least you’ll be able to spend more time with that Jaejoong of yours…” he teased.

Boa playfully slapped him on the arm. “Oppa!” she scolded, attacking him repeatedly.

Hyun Joong held his arms up in surrender. “Okay, okay, stop hurting me!”

Boa did as she was told and Hyun Joong gave her a sincere smile.

“But seriously, though. I think you should just put him out of his misery.”
Boa gave him a quizzical look. “Huh?”
“You know what I’m talking about. All you have to do is say that three-letter word.”

Boa looked thoughtful, trying to absorb what her cousin just said. But before she could put a finger on what he was trying to tell her, he spoke up again.

“He looks like someone who cares a lot about you and there’s no doubt that he’ll be able to handle my annoying little cousin…” he teased.

“Yah! What’s that supposed to mean?” said Boa indignantly and did her slap attacks again.
Hyun Joong laughed and grabbed her arms to stop her from slapping him.

A black limo suddenly stopped in front of the ice cream parlor and Hyun Joong grabbed the suitcase that he brought along with. He and Boa stood up and went outside, stopping right in front to the limo.

They exchanged a final hug and Hyun Joong opened the door. But before he went in, he turned to her one last time.

“Remember what I told you…” he said. “That three-letter word.”

And with one final wave of goodbye, he closed the limo door and it sped off to the airport.

Boa stood there and thought about what he just said. It took her a while to work out what that three-letter word was.

“Oh!” she exclaimed, once she figured it out. She then smiled to herself, and dashed to school, to find Jaejoong.

Jaejoong was walking around school compound, thinking of the words he was going to say to Boa.

“Jae!” he heard a familiar voice call.

He saw a breathless Boa running towards him and she stopped in front of him to take deep breaths.

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you,” she stated, taking in some air.

Jaejoong frowned. “Looking for me? Not Hyun Joong?”

Boa gave him a confused stare. “What’re you talking about?”

Jaejoong gave her a serious look and said, “You love him, don’t you?”
“Of course I do,” she replied. “Why wouldn’t I love Hyun Joong oppa?”

“So why don’t you just go with him then!” Jaejoong yelled, throwing his arms up in the air. “Just go with you precious Hyun Joong oppa and leave me here! Alone! You chose him instead of me, anyway!!”

“What are you talking about? You know how I feel about you!” Boa said, a little louder this time. “Plus, if you’re thinking what I think you’re thinking, that’s disgusting! Why would I even think of getting together with my own cousin!”

“Well I wouldn’t--- wait! That Hyun Joong guy is your cousin?!?!” Jaejoong asked, surprised.

Boa gave him an “isn’t-it-obvious?” look and put her hands on her hips.

“But you guys are so close…” Jaejoong began.
“Cause I grew up with him!” Boa said.
“But he kissed you on the forehead…” he said weakly.
“That’s how close our family is! God, Jaejoong, what made you think that???”

Boa looked at him in bewilderment and he had the most shocked look on his face and his jaw was hanging. She laughed at him.

“So, all this time, you were jealous of someone who you thought was gonna sweep me off my feet?” Boa asked in between giggles.

Jaejoong weakly nodded, his mouth still open.

“I can’t believe this,” she said, still laughing.
“Me neither,” he said, still in his stunned state.

Boa slowly neared him and put her hand on his cheek. “Plus, I think we both know who the person I gave my heart to is…” she said, looking into his eyes.

Jaejoong clutched her hand, which was still on his cheek. “I’ve been so stupid this past week,” he said.

Boa smiled. “That’s okay. You look pretty hot when you’re jealous.”

They both laughed and Jaejoong pulled her in for a hug.

A while later, she broke away from his embrace, and looked him in the eyes. It was time to say that three-letter word.

“Yes, Kim Jaejoong,” she simply said.

Jaejoong gave her a questioning look. “Bwoh?”

He thought again for a while and realized that he received that answer he had been waiting for.

He smirked. “Can you repeat that again? I think I didn’t hear you the first time,” he said, leaning closer

Boa laughed. “Yes,” she said again.

“I’m sorry, what?” Jaejoong said, leaning in closer.
“Yes!”
“Okay, again?” he said, coming closer this time.
“Ye-“

Boa’s words were cut off by Jaejoong’s lips, which he planted on top of hers. She closed her eyes and kissed him back.
When they broke apart, they were beaming. Jaejoong especially.

“FINALLY!!!” he screamed, punching his fist into the air. Out of happiness, he carried Boa, princess style.

“Saranghae,” they whispered to each other, as they made their way back into the dorms, to tell their friends the good news.

<3--------------------------------