Chapter 4: Operation Stake- Out

Place Your Bets [COMPLETED]

Donghae walked into chemistry class and sat down. Jaejoong and Yunho both had different classes to attend every time Donghae had chemistry, so he was alone.

Suddenly he heard a light, feminine sneeze from the seat next to him.

“Bless you,” he said as he turned to look at the sneezer, only to find himself looking into a familiar pair of eyes.

“Oh! Anneyong Haseyo!” Hyojoo greeted him.
“Hey! It’s you!” he said.
“We meet again, huh?”

Donghae nodded. “How come I haven’t seen you in chemistry class before?”

“Well, my schedule was changed for some apparent reason, and now, I have chemistry instead of history right now,” she smiled.

Donghae smiled back. “Cool.”

And then he felt really giddy.

The two spent the rest of the class talking to each other, their teacher, not even noticing their animated conversation.

 

This carried on for a few weeks and before they knew it, they seemed to know each other their whole lives.

“Soooo…” Donghae said one day, when they were taking down notes.
“Hmm??” Hyojoo replied and looked at him, giving him her full, undivided attention.

Donghae blushed like a madman. “Uhh..” he stuttered. Then, he gathered up what little confidence was left in him and looked her in the eyes.

“Han Hyojoo,” he said in a firm voice, not taking his eyes off hers.
Hyojoo just looked at him and her eyes pressed him to continue.

Donghae took a deep breath. “We’ve known each other for who knows how long, and I feel it’s time that we take our friendship to the next level.”

“So… what are you implying?” Hyojoo asked him. “That it’s time we used friendship bracelets or something?”

Donghae vigorously shook his head. Then he rapidly said, “N-no, that’s not what I meant! I-I mean that w-w-we should…hang out! No, I mean, like, yeah, we’re always hang out during chemistry, but I mean hang out as in-“

“Lee Donghae, are you asking me out on a date?” Hyojoo suddenly interrupted.

“Yes! I mean, no!, I- I mean yes! YES, yes!! Definitely yes!” he stuttered back, his cheeks turning scarlet.

Hyojoo looked at him, entertained at his nervousness, finding it cute.

Donghae continued to talk like there was no tomorrow. “B- but if you don’t want to, I mean, it’s fine, we can, like, totally stay friends, and I will definitely understand! I mean, if you don’t wanna go on a date with me, and if you think it’s too soon-“

“Saturday,” Hyojoo cut in, once again. “Let’s meet at the park. Say, 3 o’clock?”

Donghae looked at her with big eyes. After regaining his cool, he cleared his throat. “Uh… yeah, that sounds cool,” he said as the bell rang.

“Okay,” Hyojoo smiled and bid him goodbye.

Donghae waited until the class was completely empty. After making sure that no one was around, he jumped from his seat and did an incredibly weird and happy victory dance, prancing all around the room, with an idiotic grin on his face.

“WHOHOOOOO!!!!” he shouted as he pumped his fist in the air.

“WHOHOOOOO!!!” Hyojoo heard someone yell as she walked down the hall. She smiled to herself and bit her lip. She couldn’t help but feel a little giddy, too.

Hyojoo entered the dorm room in a dreamlike state.

“Hey, Hyojoo,” Boa greeted. 
“Mmm,” was her reply.
“Helloo? Earth to Han Hyojoo??” said Boa, while waving a hand in front of her face.
“Huh?” said Hyojoo, snapping back into reality.
“What’s wrong with you?” Boa asked.
“Nothing’s wrong! Why on earth would there be something wrong?”

Seulgi, who was sitting in the corner, suddenly spoke up. “Okay Hyojoo, spit it out. Who’s the guy?”

Hyojoo looked at her and widened her eyes. “Bwoh?? There’s no guy!”

Seulgi shook her head at the denial. “Hyojoo, it’s painfully obvious that you’re head over heels with someone. Just tell us who he is.”
“Yeah!” Boa agreed. “I’m kinda curious too.”

Hyojoo backed away as Seulgi suddenly stood up and started walking towards her. Boa was doing the same, until they cornered her into one side of the room.

“So? Who is he??” Seulgi pressed on.
Boa looked at her with anticipation.

“Okay, fine! I admit that there is a guy, but I’m not ready to tell you who he is yet!”
“Awww, c’mon, Hyojoo!! We won’t tell anyone!!” Seulgi whined. She looked at Boa. “Hey, back me up on this one.”

Boa shrugged. “I don’t know…” she said uncertainly. “I think she should just tell us when she’s ready. Y’know, respect her privacy.”

Seulgi groaned. Boa could be really touchy about privacy. But Seulgi wasn’t.

“Okay, just give a little gist of what’s going on,” she begged.

Hyojoo sighed. “Fine. We do have a date this Saturday. At 3. But that’s it!”
“Fine, “ Seulgi said, crossing her arms. She was dying to know more.

“Okay, now that we’ve got this over with, I’m gonna take a long, relaxing shower.”

As soon as the bathroom door closed behind Hyojoo, Seulgi immediately jumped beside Boa. “Sooo…” she began.

Boa looked at her questioningly. “What are you thinking of doing now?” she asked her best friend.

“Don’t you wanna find out who Hyojoo’s going out with??”
“Honestly, yes I do. But we have to respect her privacy too, so I suggest we leave her alone.”
“Hmph.” Seulgi huffed. “Fine. I guess I’ll just have to find out for myself.”

She suddenly thought of an idea.

“Yah, Donghae, what’s up with you these days?”

Donghae looked at Yunho, who was looking at him suspiciously.

“Nothing’s up. Why would you think something’s up?” he replied, as nonchalantly as he could.
“Really?” Yunho asked suspiciously. “I’ve noticed that you’re always in a hurry to get to chemistry class these days. What’s up with that?”

Donghae widened his eyes. “Since when did you get a brain? Have you been hanging around Seulgi that much?”

“Yah, don’t change the subject. What have you been doing these days?”

Before Donghae could even think of a good excuse, Jaejoong suddenly burst in the room.

“Guys!!! Look what I have!” he said, waving three pieces of paper in the air.

Yunho gave Donghae a ‘this-isn’t-over’ look and turned to Jaejoong.

“What are those?”
Jaejoong smiled widely. “Tickets to that new movie this Saturday!! Best seats in the house, baby!”

“You mean the one we’ve been waiting for all these months?” Yunho asked, excitement bubbling up inside him.

“You know it, my friend!” said Jaejoong.
“But I thought those tickets were sold out!”
“Well, my little friend works at the cinema, and after a little flirting, BAM! Tickets, baby!”
“You are a genius!” Yunho exclaimed.
“I know,” replied Jaejoong as the two gave each other a high- five.

Donghae, however, looked unsure. “Uh… did you say Saturday?”

Jaejoong looked at him. “Yeah, didn’t you hear me?”
“What time is it showing?”
“3 o’clock. Why?”

Donghae turned a deep shade of red and said, “I kind of already have plans.”

Yunho looked at him, suspiciously, once more.

“What do you have planned?” he asked.
“Nothing important,” Donghae lied.
“Aww, c’mon Dongie!” Jaejoong pouted.
“Sorry Jae, I can’t. I promised Hyo- uuhh… someone.”

“Hmph. Okay, fine. What about you, Yunho?”
Yunho thought of Donghae and an idea popped in his head.

“Come to think of it, Jaejoong, I have plans too. Sorry.”

Jaejoong frowned. “Okay. I guess I can’t force you guys.” He suddenly smiled brightly. “I can ask that girl in my chem. class instead! I’ve been planning to ask her out, anyway.”

And with that, he rushed out the door to look for the girl.

As soon as Yunho and Donghae were alone in the room, Yunho snapped into interrogation mode.

“So, what’s on Saturday?” he asked Donghae casually.

Donghae looked down at his hands. “Nothing important, I told you just now.”
“But important enough to miss a really good movie?”
“Hey! You skipped the offer too.”
Yunho was taken aback. He didn’t think of a good reply for that one.

“Okay, don’t tell me.” He told Donghae as he nodded and went about his own business. “I’ll just find out for myself,” he added to himself, smiling slyly.

Jaejoong shuffled into chem. class and looked fro the girl he was going to ask out. He fixed his hair and put on his famous playboy smirk as he neared her.

“Hey, Yeonhee,” he greeted her.

Yeonhee looked up at him and smiled. “Oh, Jaejoong. What’s up?”
Jaejoong waved the tickets in her face. “Wanna watch a movie?”
There were whispers all around the room as his fangirls heard him ask Yeonhee out.

“I’m soo jealous of Yeonhee right now!” 
“Unnie! Say no! Jaejoong oppa is mine!”
“B*itch! He’s too good for her!”

Yeonhee looked at the tickets and smiled. “Thanks,” she said as she took one. “I’ve been trying to get one of these for weeks!”

Jaejoong looked at her, puzzled. “What do you mean?”
“Well, my boyfriend and I went to the cinema and we only managed to buy one ticket. And now, thanks to you, we have two!”

Jaejoong’s face fell. “Oh. You’re welcome.”
“You’re so nice, Jaejoong. My boyfriend and I thank you.”
“No problem,” he replied.

As Jaejoong went back to his seat, whispers erupted around the room again.

“Yes! I still have a chance with Jaejoong oppa!”
“Aww!! Jaejoong oppa is soo sweet! Did you see him give that ticket to Yeonhee?”
“He’s so hot!”

Jaejoong sighed. He never got rejected before. Even before, when he asked girls with boyfriends, they would just dump them and go straight to him. He looked at the tickets he was holding. He still had two left.

He suddenly heard a snicker from the person next to him. “Hey, isn’t that Seulgi’s friend?” he thought to himself.

“What are you laughing at?” he asked in his tough guy voice.

The girl who laughed looked at him fearlessly. “That’s what you get for being a playboy, “ she said.

Jaejoong scoffed. “Hey, that was one little rejection. So what?”

The girl smirked. “I have a feeling that it was the first of many.”

Jaejoong looked at her, like she was some kind of alien. Well, she might as well be, because all the girls that Jaejoong met before would just bow down and worship him. But this girl didn’t.

“Woah, now I know how Yunho felt when he met Seulgi,” he thought. “But why don’t I hate her?”

“Yah, what’s your name?” he asked her.
“Kwon Boa,” she replied.

“Boa,” he repeated. “Like, a Boa Constrictor?” he asked.
“Yah! I’m no snake!” she defended herself.

Jaejoong laughed. He looked down at the tickets he was holding.

“Wanna watch a movie on Saturday?”

Jaejoong went to Boa’s room at 2.55 on that Saturday.

“What are you doing here?” Boa asked him as she opened the door.

“We have a movie to watch,” Jaejoong said with a smirk.
“Uh… just to be clear, you did hear me say no when you asked me, right?”
“I know.”
“Then why are you here?”
Jaejoong didn’t say a word. He just grabbed Boa by her wrist and dragged her away, ignoring her cries of protest.

Seulgi arrived at the park at 2.15 on Saturday afternoon. ‘Operation Stake-Out’ was in action. She was dying to know who Hyojoo was going out with.

She immediately jumped behind a bush as soon as she saw Hyojoo arrive. Hiding herself from view, she took out the binoculars that Boa oh so kindly bought for her.

“Shoot,” she said under her breath. The guy Hyojoo was talking to had his back turned. “Why can’t he turn around?”

The couple suddenly started to walk to the left, so Seulgi had no choice but to scoot to the left, to get a good look at them. He kept on moving and moving to the left, until she bumped into something. Well, more like someone.

“Aish, who would be so crazy to hide in the same bush as I’m hiding in?” she asked herself.

Seulgi looked up to see who she bumped into.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It was Yunho.

<3--------------------------------