Chapter Seven - Family

Live and Let Live

“I’m home!” Jin Ae had done her regular routine of visiting her parent’s small altar and then ran upstairs to change into more comfortable clothes. She then went back down in a pair of red plaid pyjama bottoms and a grey t-shirt, plopping down on the couch beside her brother.

“How was school?” Jin Ae shrugged and just looked at the television screen in front of her. Jinsang then leaned over and poked her side and she jumped.

“Hey, what was that for?!” She yelped.

“That’s what you get for not answering a simple question.” Jin Ae stuck her tongue out at her brother and he just pushed her forehead with his index finger.

“Stupid. So what do you want to do tonight?” He asked and Jin Ae tapped her chin thoughtfully and then her eyes suddenly brightened and she turned her whole body to face him.

“Can we watch…” Jin Ae hesitated a bit but Jinsang seemed to understand what she was asking for and gave her a sad smile while ruffling her hair.

“Sure JiJi, why not.” He stood up from his seat and began rummaging through the stacks of old tapes on the television stand. He then grabbed one that was titled “Summer 2007” and pushed it into the VCR. He then went back to the couch and sat beside Jin Ae who had curled up into a little ball, her arms wrapped around her legs and her chin resting on her knees. The video began to play and it started off with a younger version of Jinsang falling off of a chair in what seemed to be a cottage. A very low-pitched laugh came from behind the person holding the camera and Jinsang looked at the camera with a slightly frustrated look.

“Dad!” He then appeared to lightly shove the person holding the camera, eliciting more laughs from the unknown cameraman.

“Daddy, Jinsang stole my tennis racket!” The camera then turned and focused on a younger looking Jin Ae who, back then, had short hair with choppy layers and blonde streaks. The present Jin Ae chuckled slightly, feeling a bit embarrassed about her old sense of style – the girl in the video wore tan shorts with a slightly baggy striped tank top and white high tops. Her arms were folded and she pouted at the camera. The person behind the camera reached a hand out and wrapped a strong looking arm around her.

“It’s okay baby girl, we can get him back later.” He whispered and she started to giggle and then she took the camera from him.

“Come on Dad, you should be in the video too!” The camera was in a few seconds of chaos until it focused on a tall man with slightly tanned skin and a thin moustache that lined his upper lip and curved downwards, reaching the bottom of his chin. His eyes resembled those of Jin Ae’s but his sharp nose and jaw line was present in Jinsang’s features. He had a big smile on his face and the video went on, eventually the three of them went outside to the back where a woman in a yellow sundress sat holding a cup and looking at the view of the lake.

“We should all be in the video.” Jin Ae spoke and before anyone else said anything, the camera was handled rather roughly and then finally perched on something, and adjusted slightly so that the camera included all four of them. Jin Ae had instinctively grabbed the remote and paused the video when they had all been laughing at the same time. Her vision began to blur and she sniffed a little. She felt the couch move a little as Jinsang shifted closer, wrapping a protective arm around her. He gently pushed her head on his chest and she snuggled closer while he her hair.

“I-I miss them oppa.” Jinsang smiled a bit – although the situation wasn’t the time for it, he felt slightly elated that she had called him oppa.

“It’s okay JiJi, I miss them too.” She then continued to cry a little harder and Jinsang had to bite his lip, preventing himself from crying as well. In truth, it hurt him a lot to see his little sister cry because she just wasn’t the type. She was always smiling, thinking positively about anything, and not easily discouraged. He then thought back to her past with Byunghun and tried to remember one time she cried over him and he couldn’t remember any. True, she was sad that her best friend had done what he did, but she stuck it out with no tears. To see her looking so vulnerable made him feel more apt to play the role of both brother and best friend. But it was only now that the loss of their parents felt more real than before, and Jinsang subconsciously hugged her tighter, almost as if he was afraid that she would leave him too.