Chapter Twelve - The Truth Hurts (Part One)

Live and Let Live

 

“Byunghunnie!” Jin Ae called out to a brown-haired boy who was sauntering down the street. He turned and she ran up to him.

“What are you doing here?” He asked and they both began walking side by side. Jin Ae scrunched her nose and pushed him lightly.

“Can’t a girl just walk with her best friend?” He smiled down at her and pushed her back.

“Well, I’m sorry Jin, I’m booked today.” He said and Jin Ae sighed.

“Aw, you’ve been busy all week!” He then wrapped an arm around her and they continued to walk in sync.

“At this rate, you’re going to miss our usual movie night.” Jin Ae muttered and Byunghun pulled his arm away and feigned hurt.

“Me? You dare say that I will miss out on our movie night? The movie night I’ve never ever missed since we started doing it back in fifth grade?” He said with overly dramatic arm movements and an exaggerated shocked tone of voice. To this, Jin Ae just rolled her eyes and flicked his forehead.

“You’re such a drama queen.” At this Byunghun stopped walking and pointed at himself, with a real look of incredulity on his face.

Me?! You’re the one making a big deal out of not being able to spend time with me. Then again, who wouldn’t want to spend time with a piece of this.” He made a ridiculous pose to which Jin Ae just laughed and she just walked past him. Byunghun jogged a bit to catch up to her and they walked at a slower pace.

“Don’t worry I’ll be on time tomorrow, don’t worry too much okay?” He said reassuringly, and Jin Ae sighed and patted his shoulder and the two of them finally stopped walking at the same time, standing at a crosswalk.

“I’ll call you tonight okay? I need you to recap Law and Order for me.” Jin Ae laughed and crossed her arms.

“And what if I don’t pick up?”

“Then you will be considered a horrible friend – I mean, what kind of friend doesn’t help their best friend out in their time of need?”

“Recapping a show does not qualify as a favour, but I’ll do it anyway…for a price.” Jin Ae smirked and Byunghun’s shoulders drooped as he groaned.

“Why?!” He whined and Jin Ae just wagged her finger at him before turning and walking away.

“I’d just like to let you know that you as a friend!” Byunghun yelled after her and she kept on walking and didn’t turn around, but lifted her right arm and waved a little in acknowledgement. Byunghun stood still and watched his best friend’s retreating back. His smile then fell and he blinked as he felt a cold, constricting feeling within his chest as Jin Ae disappeared round a corner. He turned and began to walk in the opposite direction, his hands deep in his pockets. He became lost in his own thoughts and was glad because he wasn’t at all happy about what he had to do right at that moment. Jin Ae’s face then popped into his mind and he sighed heavily, mixed feelings of happiness and guilt clashing within his system, making his stomach churn.

He had finally reached a dark alleyway and turned into it, taking a deep breath as he felt a cool air brush through his hair, almost as if foreshadowing the inevitable.

“It took you long enough.” A low voice growled behind him and he instantly tensed up. Byunghun then hurriedly removed all emotion from his face and thought of Jin Ae to keep him sane.

“You’re early.” He said monotonously and the voice chuckled. Byunghun then turned around and came face to face with a tall, burly, boy who was only a year older than him.

“Don’t talk like that to me.” He spat and Byunghun just stood there with no reaction.

“What do you want C.A.P?” Byunghun asked, a hint of irritation leaked into his voice. The boy, C.A.P, crossed his arms and looked down at the skinnier boy with a small smirk.

“You still owe me money.” He said and Byunghun looked down at his feet.

“Look, I said I’ll get it to you okay?” In one swift movement, C.A.P bent down and grabbed his collar, making Byunghun stumble.

“You were supposed to give it to me today.” Their faces were only inches apart and deep inside, Byunghun was scared, but he managed to keep a straight face.

“I told you, I’ll get it to you when I get it okay?” Byunghun mumbled, loud enough for C.A.P to hear. Not quite satisfied with Byunghun’s answer, C.A.P roughly shoved him away, causing him to fall down.

“It’s too late, but because I’m nice, I have an alternate option and of course, you have no choice.” C.A.P said and Byunghun gulped, now struggling to keep cool.

“W-What is it?” Byunghun silently cursed himself for stuttering, but C.A.P didn’t pay attention and addressed him once more, bending down low to his level.

“Be sure to meet me over by the corner store tomorrow at seven PM sharp, otherwise…” C.A.P made a motion, his thumb gliding across his throat and Byunghun’s breath turned shaky. C.A.P then stood up again and walked away, leaving Byunghun there with a torn heart.


Hey guys, "Part Two" should come along later on tonight, so I'll put in a proper Author's note then. Enjoy!