Chapter Ten - Sketches

Live and Let Live

Another day was coming to a close and Jin Ae's last class of the day - English - was interrupted by a loud crackling sound from the P.A. system.

"Alright, this announcement is regarding the presidential race, and I'm happy to announce your new school president." There was a pause and Jin Ae sat up a bit straighter in her seat, straining her ears, almost scared that she would miss the next few words.

"It was a very tight race and I would like to thank the two running candidates for pulling through it all and also applaud them for their great speeches. Be that as it may, the winner and new school council president is...Park Jin Ae!" There was a short silence for a millisecond before the class broke into cheer, many coming up to Jin Ae and patting her on the back or shaking her hand. The English teacher even initiated the appluase and stood from her seat while doing so. Through all of this however, Jin Ae noticed one particular person who wasn't exactly enjoying the celebration and she couldn't help but to feel a little hurt. Byunghun just sat at his desk at the back of the class, appearing to be diligently working on his assignment while everyone else chatted or congratulated Jin Ae for the last five minutes left of school.

She began to pack up her things and then quickly left the room as the bell rang, swiftly passing by Byunghun's desk without a glance. Back in the classroom, the students slowly filed out, but Byunghun took his time and waited until the whole class had emptied before clearing away his own things. Much like Jin Ae, he relished in the times he was left alone and often stayed behind a few minutes to ensure that he did have his own alone time. As he packed the last of his books away, he noticed a pink folder sticking out from Jin Ae's desk. He stood frozen on the spot, unsure of what to do. Should I just leave it there? But what if someone else takes it? It won't hurt to give it to her tomorrow. After his silent debate with himself, he slowly walked over to the desk and took out the pink folder from inside it.

Instinctively, he looked over his shoulder by the door to see if anyone was there and to his relief, there was no one. In spite of himself, curiosity got the best of him as he the opening of the folder, slowly opening it to reveal it's contents. There were a few drawings of random objects and he sifted through what seemed to be endless amounts of drawings of fruit bowls and random furniture until he came across her self portrait. He pulled it out and stared at it - the way she had captured her own likeness was nothing short of amazing and Byunghun felt himself choke up at the sight. She was always a gifted artist, I always told her that. Without warning, tears began to spill over and he set the picture down a little roughly, causing the other sketches to fall off the desk. As he bent down to gather them, he wiped his eyes and noticedd another sketch that had fallen out.

Keeping the sketch in one hand, he carefully stood up with the other sketches and gently placed them back into the pink folder, along with the self portrait. He then stared at the other sketch and exhaled deeply. An overwhelming feeling of guilt washed over him and he leaned on to the desk for support. He lightly traced the outlines of the people with his finger and memories of the past fought their way into his mind. Why wasn't I there for her, why didn't I have the guts to face her? Why did I let her think like that? Everything's my fault. A billion thoughts raced through his mind as he stared at the sketch - it was of two people sitting side by side. They were familiar faces in Byunghun's eyes - they were the spitting images of their two children, Jinsang and Jin Ae. They were also like a second set of parents for Byunghun, seeing them everyday, eating dinner with them, going out to different trips with them and vice versa.

"What are you doing?" A faint voice called from the back of the class, a voice that Byunghun instantly recognized. Traces of tears still lined his eyes and he froze, not daring to turn around. He heard the footsteps nearing until the person stepped in front of him.

"You..." Her voice trailed off as she saw the look in his eyes and the coldness in her expression vanished, and was replaced by a shocked and almost pitying one. They exchanged glances for a few seconds before Byunghun dropped the picture and bolted, not turning around to answer her calls, not caring about the things he left behind.

I'm sorry, I'm not ready yet Jin Ae, I just hope that when the time comes, you'll forgive me.

And he ran faster.


Confused? Haha don't worry about it, this is sort of like the build up of the mystery behind it all. At first I was going to make the sketch be one of L.Joe but I decided that this was much more appropriate for what I had in mind for this story. And yes that does mean I actually have a feeling how this'll end. Anyway, if you weren't able to guess, the sketch was that of Jin Ae's and Jinsang's late parents. The chapter's fairly short but I tried to pack in a bit of different emotions here so I hope I did alright with that! And on an unrelated note, thanks so much for the well wishes everyone, I'm getting better each day - I sound more sick than I really feel and the road to recovery's been great lol. The headache's still coming but I'll live lol. Thanks so much for your comments everyone, I do read them all and I appreciate every single one ♥ I hope you keep interest in the story!