Chapter Three - Home

Live and Let Live

“Hello, it’s alright I wasn’t really paying attention either.” She was greeted by a warm smile that reached the man’s eyes. His hair was styled into a faux hawk, zig zag designs lined the sides of his head. It was odd but strangely enough, it suited him.

“I – uh, yeah, sorry…” Jin Ae stuttered as she pushed herself up and then brushing the dirt from her uniform. She couldn’t bring herself to look directly into his eyes. They stood rather awkwardly for a minute and Jin Ae gave him a curt nod and attempted to walk past him and shifted her feet. He saw what he was trying to do and shifted as well in an attempt to move out of her way but instead, they did an awkward side step. He let out a small chuckle and Jin Ae felt herself blush. Ugh, this is so embarrassing. He’s so cute too…

“Hey, you go to Anyang High?” Jin Ae nodded timidly and dared to look up at him.

“Yo, Minsoo!” There was a shout from behind him and he turned to see another young man running up to them.

“Oh hey Jinsang took you long enough.” Before any more could be said, the other man looked from Jin Ae to Minsoo.

“JiJi? What’re you doing here? How do you know Minsoo?” Slightly surprised, Jin Ae came back to her senses and rolled her eyes at her brother.

“I’m coming home from school dummy, and we sort of just met.” She said the last part a little shyly and saw Minsoo smile amusingly from the corner of her eye.

“Right, well do you mind if I get home a little late tonight?” Jin Ae just shrugged and her brother punched her playfully.

“I made you some kimchi stew and I left extra money on the counter just in case you want to order something.” Jin Ae nodded and then smirked at him.

“You didn’t poison the kimchi did you?” Jinsang just rolled his eyes and Jin Ae smiled.

“I guess I’ll leave now. Sorry for bumping into you.” She turned to look at Minsoo who shook his head and gave her a small smile.

“It’s fine really. And I suggest you get out something from the medicine cabinet and keep it close by just in case.” He winked at her and Jinsang hit his friend’s shoulder, both failing to notice the blush that had crept up to her cheeks. She cleared and gave them each a curt bow before walking past them. She felt her brother pat her back and she smiled at his touch - true, they annoy the hell out of each other from time to time, but he was the only one she had left.

The rest of the walk was quick and soon enough, she was already stepping into her home, closing the door behind her. She slipped off her shoes and walked over to a small altar situated in a small space in between the main floor bathroom and the stairs leading towards the basement.

"Hi Mom, hi Dad, I'm home!" She kissed her index finger and middle finger and touched a picture frame of two smiling faces. Jin Ae then turned to walk directly into the kitchen and found a few thousand won, smiling to herself. She didn't bother to change out of her uniform as she heard her stomach growl, and so she lifted the lid off of the large pot on the stove and placed it on the countertop. She ten opened a drawer and grabbed a bowl and took a pair of chopsticks and a spoon from the drying dishes in the sink. She served herself some of her brother's homemade kimchi soup and walked over to the living room and the TV.

This had become a regular routine ever since Jin Ae had started high school. She would walk home, grab a bite to eat, and watch some TV before going into her room to do some homework. Usually, her brother would be home as well and they would argue over which show they would watch, eventually deciding on a random music show. Jin Ae was content with this however, because she grew to accept this new way of life - a life with only her brother.

But in the past, there had been someone else to help care for her, someone else who provided a pillar to support her.

She set her now empty bowl down and absent mindedly flipped the channels. Her eyes began to droop and so she began to drift off into her own world.