Chapter Two - Art

Live and Let Live

Jin Ae had thought that the tense air between her and Byunghun would make the day drag on, but on the contrary, the day was passing by fairly quickly. She found it odd and rather disconcerting that he seemed to be in every single one of her classes and was expecting to see Byunghun in her fifth period Art class but was slightly surprised to see that he was nowhere to be found. She smiled subconsciously as she walked into the classroom.

"Jinnie!" She turned and was face-to-face with Eun Hee.

"Eunnie, what's up?" She said a little more brightly than usual, earning her a raised eyebrow.

"I should be asking you, you sound like you're on something..."

"Yah!" Jin Ae hit her arm lightly but laughed all the same. Before she could say anything more, the teacher walked in and began the class. The class was spent talking to Eun Hee while they tried to draw their self portraits. Jin Ae had always enjoyed art class in her school and ended up taking it all throughout high school. She always took pride in whatever she produced at the end of the day, or at least she enjoyed the process in making it. Art class had always been the most laid back of all her classes. Not only was she free to think creatively but she was also free to chat with Eun Hee and others in her class.

As she was shading in the bridge of her nose, Eun Hee brought up the topic of her being late.

“You sure set a good example by coming in late today.” She smirked and Jin Ae rolled her eyes.

“Jinsang-oppa forgot to wake me up.”

“You’re class president, you’re supposed to be on top of everything and not relying on your already-graduated brother.”

“Eunnie, I’m not class president…” Eun Hee scoffed and rested her hand on the easel as she looked sceptically at her friend.

“You might as well be, everyone loves you.” Jin Ae just shook her head.

“Not everybody.” She suddenly felt a small tug at her heart and she frowned slightly. Eun Hee looked at her sympathetically.

“You can’t still be hung up over him Jinnie, honestly.” Eun Hee was the only person in the whole school that knew about Jin Ae and Byunghun’s past. Jin Ae sighed and continued on shading in her drawing.

“I’m not, it’s just that the world seems to hate me. He’s in every single one of my classes, not to mention I’m his seatmate during homeroom. As much as I try, the universe just loves to hold me back from moving on” Eun Hee didn’t respond but continued with her own portrait. At times like this, Eun Hee knew better than to pry into Jin Ae’s previous affairs and so she normally kept silent when her tone was like so. Inside, Jin Ae felt sorry towards her friend, having to put her through this. But she was glad that she at least had someone to vent on and was endlessly grateful to Eun Hee for that.


The day passed and Jin Ae was just about to exit the building.

“You want to go out for some ddukkboki?” Eun Hee called out to her, followed by two other girls. Jin Ae just smiled but shook her head.

“Not today guys, I’ll just see you guys tomorrow.” They waved goodbye and Jin Ae went off another direction. Her house was about a fifteen-minute walk away and Jin Ae relished in those fifteen minutes, often off in her own world, reflecting on this and that. A small breeze floated by, blowing a few strands of hair in front of her face. She continued walking with her eyes down and her earphones plugged into her ears and then…

BAM!

“Oh jeez, I’m so sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was – “ Jin Ae’s voice became lost as she looked up to see who she had bumped into.