Proving thy existence

The Gray Matter [Hiatus]

 

† Phase VII †

 

 

The convoy led by YoonA and Sooyoung came to a halt as an explosion emerged a few miles west from them. Tremors reached their position as the thunderous boom of the blast reached their ears' hearing vicinity. "What is that?" One of the men asked as they all stood up looking at the site of the flames reaching the sky roaring like a lion showing its pride. "A plane crashed." YoonA said as she stepped on the ground using one of her legs to balance her motorcycle.

 

"We should check it out. There might be survivors." Sooyoung got out of the jeep. "What!? It's dangerous!!! There are plenty of demon scavengers lurking around. Especially now, those creatures will gather there for sure." One of the men retorted. "Kye Sung is right." YoonA said. "We have plenty of innocent people at the truck; it'll be a risk if we venture there now." She said.

 

"Then let's form a separate search unit, we still need to help them!!" Sooyoung said...

 

Inside the truck, Taeyang and the others felt the strange tremor and the booming sound from afar reached their ears as the mobile where they rode stopped its tracks. "Oppa, what is that?" Seohyun asked. "I don’t know..." Taeyang shook his head in same confusion before he stood up. "I'll check it out." He said and exited the truck.

 

Once he exited the vehicle, he saw an explosion emerging from within the ruined buildings from quite a far off distance. Debates followed suit as he heard the men, YoonA's voice and another girl's as they talk about sending a search party towards the area. He knew like everyone else that going there still with other innocent people present will mean risking their safety.

 

"Then let's form a separate search unit, we still need to help them!!" The woman's statement and the eagerness in her voice gave Taeyang a bit of a light as an imaginary light bulb flashed its light above his head.

 

"I'll go with the search team." He interrupted causing some eyes to turn his way. The tall unfamiliar girl who was speaking with YoonA also turned to him, surprised by his sudden intrusion. "And who are you?" She asked.

 

"Oh... Unnie, this is Taeyang-sshi, he is the Sun King." YoonA said. Sooyoung looked at Taeyang with an expression that signifies her thoughts processing what YoonA said. Some mild chuckles are heard from the men while YoonA is the only one who wore a plain expression. After a brief moment of processing, Sooyoung scoffed and a hearty laugh came from her.

 

"YoonA, are you kidding me? You still actually believe in such a fable!? Did he tell you this?" She was grabbing her stomach and pointing accusingly to Taeyang who was quiet but not sort of offended. YoonA still wore her plain expression. "No, unnie, I felt his aura earlier." She said. Sooyoung eyed her with skepticism "How can such a fable be true!? Are you really serious!?" Sooyoung asked as her laughter died to a halt. YoonA nodded then smiled at Taeyang.

 

YoonA, ever since her childhood under the Catholic Church's wings, believed in the existence of the Sun King. Fable to some, she is one of the few who actually didn't take the fable, half heartedly. She had always been hopeful to meet the Sun King one day. It wasn't such a made up fable and was too realistic that she felt the story was actually real and happened in real life. She admired the Sun King's heroism and its nobility based on the stories that she swore to herself that she will be the same. She viewed the Sun King as an idol that she will follow. Sooyoung laughed at her for such many times.

 

"It'll be better if we go instead. You will need plenty of men to help defend the people inside." Taeyang turned to the truck. "I'll go too." Just then, the hooded figure that Taeyang saw inside the truck came out releasing a voice, deep and husky, but is very familiar to Taeyang. Sooyoung eyed the mysterious man as he removes his hood exposing his very fair face, his prominent cheekbones evident and his eyes bearing pupils of different colors compliment his piercing yet attractive stare. Taeyang smiled as the man nodded. "Seunghyun-hyung, so it is actually you." He remarked.

 

Sooyoung eyed the man named Seunghyun. "You will need to stay to help protect the truck." He said. Sooyoung raised an eyebrow, "I refuse to listen to you. How can I trust a man who inherited demon genes and came from the demon stronghold unscathed?" She said glaring at the guy. Seunghyun was silent. "I am here to redeem myself and as your bro—

 

"—my brother is long dead, Nephilim. He was killed by a blood demon who serves the Monarchy of the Lustfuls." Sooyoung continued cutting Seunghyun off. "So she's the sister." Taeyang thought.

 

"I will go also. I need to take careful watch on them." Sooyoung said. "Fair enough." Taeyang answered. "As long as it is to prove our side then I won't disagree." He said.

 

"If the King says so, then it is absolute." Seunghyun said agreeing with Taeyang's rightful decision. "A-Are you sure?" YoonA asked a bit concerned. "At least you will need some vehicle to take with you and a few men." She said.

 

"We'll volunteer then. I want to see for myself if that man is really the fabled Sun King." An elder man said as he stands up from one of the jeeps' passenger area. "I will go with Soon Kyung appeoji too." The person in the same jeep said. "It is decided then." Sooyoung said as she approaches the chosen vehicle. "We will take the jeep with us. Some of you go aboard the truck and guard it well." She ordered. The men followed suit as Sooyoung rode the jeep and started the engine. "I'll have to talk to my companions first." Taeyang said as he heads back to the truck's entrance.

 

YoonA smiled seeing the man and admired his gentle nature. To her eyes, she can see that he, somehow, befits the personification of the savior.

 

"Oppa? What happened?" Seohyun said as she, Yuri and Tiffany turned to Taeyang who approached them with a smile. "Girls, I'll have to leave you for a while. Apparently, a plane crashed from somewhere not really far from us." He started causing some gasps to emerge from the girls. "I volunteered to be in a search and rescue unit and we'll have to find some survivors. You'll be ok by yourselves for now right?" He asked. Seohyun hesitated and a frown emerged from her. "Will you be fine?" Yuri asked worried. "I'll be fine... I have some company with me. Yuri, I want you to take care of Tiffany and your maknae for now. Whatever happens, don't leave this truck unless you arrived at the sanctuary, ok?" He asked gently holding Yuri's shoulder causing a small blush to form from her cheeks. "O-ok..." She said bowing her head hiding a frown. Taeyang smiled. "Don’t frown. Smile, you're more beautiful when you smile." He said. Yuri was surprised and felt flustered. "I understand." She said trying a smile. "That's better." He said.

 

"I'll go now... Take care; I'll see you at the sanctuary." He said. "Oppa, take care also..." Seohyun said as she hugged Taeyang who actually became like her older brother. Taeyang smiled. He held Tiffany's arm and smiled also and bid the same with Yuri before he left the truck.

 

"Will he be alright?" Tiffany asked worried as the three of them hugged together. "I trust oppa. He will return." Seohyun answered. "We will see him... again." Yuri said though inside of her, a heavy feeling was formed. As if something will be missed or will disappear... and she hoped that it won't be Taeyang.

 

"Let's go." Taeyang said as he rides the jeep besides Seunghyun who was at the back seat. "Take care ok? If you don't see anything by night time, return to the sanctuary at once." YoonA approached Sooyoung and looked at everybody. "Got it." Sooyoung said. "We'll go now..." She said.

 

YoonA stepped aside as Sooyoung started the engine and zoomed away from the group with Seunghyun, Taeyang and two volunteer members of the Korean soldier survivors to accompany her.

 

"May the Almighty one bless you always, guys." YoonA mumbled as she watches the jeep disappear in her sight towards the horizon. "Alright!! Let's go!!" She said as she rides her motorbike and the convoy left.

 

Meanwhile...

 

"Gosh... This place is more of a wasteland. Are you sure this is still South Korea?" Taeyeon asked as they struggle their way to the street of ruins. Jessica couldn't help but agree. She can hardly recognize the place. The last time she went to the country was when it was booming well with its economical status. Buildings stood tall, cars everywhere, warm people and busy workers walk here and there. It was all crowded and lively...

 

But now, all she can see are ruins, chaos and emptiness. This surely isn't the sight she had wanted to see again. Jessica sighed and sadness was evident. "Now the problem lies with us not encountering that damned demon again or any savage demons lurking within these corners." Jessica said. Just with the cold breeze's touch, chill came rushing from Taeyeon's spine throughout her body. She hugged herself. "I don’t really feel secured within this region. I can feel malice as strong as a nuclear bomb if it was possible." Taeyeon's shoulders slouched with a sigh.

 

"You're armed right?" Jessica looked at her. Taeyeon opened her jacket and showed three differently colored metal cubes with strange carvings to Jessica then turned to her special utility belt containing some potions with different mixes. "I got three of my familiars with me and some vials of my potion mixes, aside from that I am all vulnerable." Taeyeon said cursing herself as to why she didn't find interest in studying magic and instead focused in potion making. "Good thing I mastered myself with spells." Jessica smiled as if understanding Taeyeon's thoughts. "We just need to watch each other's back." She assured.

 

"Yeah, I definitely agree to that." Taeyeon said as they continue walking. Unknown to them, some presences had already taken notice of their attendance and had long been observing them whilst hiding behind the shadows...

 

"I never thought you'll come like this, hyung." Taeyang said to Seunghyun as they venture the bumpy road of the ruins to go west from their earlier location. "The Order is still hidden. They are waiting for my command. I have to stay hidden as well; I am still being pursued since I just escaped from that accursed stronghold." Seunghyun stated quietly.

 

His experience in the hell prison was something that signifies nothing sort of jail, rather, it was more of torture and chains. Many men had died during the process of torture and merciless sufferings. Most being slaves of all sorts, treated as pets, toys and source of enjoyment; some even as food.

 

Being a demon born Nephilim is luck to Seunghyun for he was gifted with all strengths and lesser weaknesses from the blood demons. He was able to withstand the devastating tortures and massive interrogations from the heartless beings.

 

"So... is it true? Are you really the Sun King?" The guy in front of them asked hesitantly. Though he was dead curious, he managed to come up clean and careful as to avoid offending the guy in front of him. "I-I heard stories... Saying that every passing of hundreds decades or thousands of years, tribulation comes and the Solar King descends from heaven to cleanse us of all our sins." The man said a shed of hope flashing inside his eyes.

 

Taeyang smiled. He was indeed a bit surprised but nonetheless positively overwhelmed that such a guy believed in stories that most people would only laugh at and dismiss as a folk tale. "Solar King can be anyone of us. As long as we have beliefs and we hold our faith strong; as we do good deeds to others and to one's self." He answered. "It is a symbol. The Sun as the light of energy and divine hope." He followed.

 

"Well said." Sooyoung said from the driver's seat. "So tell me, Taeyang-sshi. Why did YoonA think that you’re the fabled Almighty Sol?" She asked. "I know that the chosen Sacrificial King possesses something that only the Almighty one gives." The elder, Soon Kyung, said.

 

"Do you mean this?" Taeyang held out his palm and showed it first to the guy in front of him. It was a simple way to attest his identity and it was proved a fact the moment the young guy gasped with shock and disbelief. "I-It is!! H-He is the Sacrificial King!!!" He exclaimed in a hopeful cheer.

 

Soon Kyung immediately turned to the back to see what the young guy saw. He held Taeyang's right palm and was surprised, as expected, the moment he saw the sign of the stigmata... the holy wounds. "It is true. So you truly are the chosen one. Master Sooyoung... Master YoonA isn't just telling a story." The elder said. "How can we be sure!? What if he just wounded that palm so that he can bluntly yell to the world that he is the Sun King?" She scoffed.

 

"There is the divine feeling, Master Sooyoung. It is strong." Soon Kyung said. The younger one agreed.

 

"You are the valiant knight of the church but you don't believe in such existence?" Seunghyun mocked. "Say that again, Demon born and I'll make sure that your head will be cleanly cut off before we get back to the sanctuary!!" Sooyoung growled. "Admit it, Goetian Knight. You also feel its reality. The authenticity of the belief that such a personification of divinity actually walks in this realm." Seunghyun said. "I dare you to open that filthy mouth of yours again!!" Sooyoung cried.

 

Taeyang was surprised. "That's enough, hyung." He said hushing Seunghyun then turned to Sooyoung. "Master Knight, your nobility is good but your sense of belief is somewhat absurd." He said surprising the driver. "How can you judge such a being without even seeing his true nature or accepting his goodwill. You are obviously in denial of everything that had happen." Taeyang said in a monotone of offense. Sooyoung looked at Taeyang through the rear view mirror. "I don’t need your insights, phony." She said.

 

Seunghyun held Taeyang's arm. "It's ok. I understand her thoughts somehow." He whispered. Taeyang heaved a sigh. "I'm sorry." He apologized.

 

Just then, strong violent winds came in a rush forcing its way through them and giving them a sense of ill-intents. "Demons are coming." Seunghyun turned to their back and saw five black ghostly birds the size of their jeep rushing its way to their location. "Vipers." Taeyang said.

 

The young guy readied his AK-47 rifle as the older one readied his hunting rifle. Two of the Vipers flew to different directions while the other three remained in pursuing them. "They have higher ability of sensing presences. Being a creature bound by eternal savage they sure are powerful oppressors." Seunghyun explained.

 

The younger guy, Hyuk Sung, fired his rifle. The weapon was deemed as a powerful machine rifle type able to fire rounds in fast rapid manner yet still maintaining power. But against the ethereal beings, it was rendered useless. The bullets, even though embedded with blessings and runes, passed through the birds without even creating a small scratch. "What!? H-How!?" Hyuk Sung exclaimed. "Those beings are created through the accumulation of extreme malevolence and vengeance. They are pure hatred given form... no such attacks can neutralize or even kill them." Seunghyun said.

 

Just then a Viper appeared in front of them emerging like a ghost from beneath the ground surprising Sooyoung as she made a sudden swerve almost throwing Hyuk Sung away from the jeep if not for Seunghyun's fast reflex.

 

"Be careful, they feed on souls of living beings." He warned. "But how can we kill it!?" Hyuk Sung uttered desperately. "Hold on!!!" Sooyoung cried as she turned the jeep to left with force without slowing the vehicle's pace.

 

"I think I know how." Taeyang said as he went to the back just in front of Hyuk Sung. "Sooyoung-sshi... I hope that with this, I can prove the authenticity of my title. Everyone please remain calm and focused." Taeyang said. "Whatever!! Just do what you want to do!!!" Sooyoung retorted while she focuses herself on the road. Taeyang heaved a sigh and closed his eyes. He then held out his left arm. Seunghyun eyed him and surprise was formed deep in his mind.

 

"You will use that?" He asked. Taeyang turned to him and smiled. Then he opened his left hand, palm facing away from him with his hands curled in a form symbolizing of a crown. Just then his stigmata reappeared into a live wound as a symbol of cross flashed in a powerful white light. Then a massive amount of pressure began to forcefully accumulate in front of his palm; white, red and yellowish flashes emerging as the pressure intensifies while taking a shape of a globe. His eyes glow a blinding light as the pressures take its final form into an ethereal miniature sun.

 

Sooyoung was overwhelmed by such divinity that the feeling gave her a strange motivation and strength that even she cannot explain as to where it came from. Even the two guys were awed by the event. Seunghyun was silent as deep in him a feeling of redemption is close at hand. His inner troubled mind was suddenly being invaded by a relaxing aura.

 

"Such divinity... such power..." Soon Kyung uttered in awe as then he realized he was already praying and his eyes were tearing up in relief. Hyuk Sung's eyes were widened and his mouth was gaping. Such a sight never existed but was evidently before his eyes. The feeling it is providing him is strong that he felt something being lifted up from his chest and his eyes, also, began to tear up. He suddenly made a sign of the cross.

 

The globe had been formed rotating slowly but emitting a powerful yet relaxing force. Taeyang raised his left palm and had it face the sky as then a ray of light pierced through the thick clouds and gave radiance to the globe. His conjuration and preparation is finished and with this in mind, Taeyang squeezed the globe with his hand causing it to explode in clustered waves of light with rhythmical pulsation gracefully venturing forth from his palm to the farthest it can reach. Different rainbow colors emerged from within the thin wave of light and its divinity gave Taeyang's entire company an overwhelming amount of ease and light assurance that they will be saved and hope was re-built and faith was re-sewn. "I-I can't believe this." Soon Kyung said his eyes still tearing up in both disbelief and awe.

 

The Vipers started vanishing slowly once the light passed thru them. Agonized demonic groans and cries also emerged from the different unseen corners as fires began to appear signifying some things being burned.

 

A long moment passed before the colorful waves of light fades away leaving Taeyang's four companions awed and relaxed. Their energies were suddenly replenished and their wounds healed upon its passing through. "M-My wounds!? I-It's gone!!!" Hyuk Sung said whilst looking at his arms. Soon Kyung turned to Taeyang as with a smile he bowed respectfully. "I am blessed to have witness the miracle of the chosen savior. The one king that will bring redemption to our souls. You have given us hope and our fading faith is further strengthened. YoonA's right..." He said as Taeyang turned to him and replied with a kind smile.

 

Sooyoung remained silent while driving the jeep. She, herself, was surprised to witness such an event before her. Something that never happened or possibly won't in her life. In her thoughts she had accepted YoonA's childish belief as a fact.

 

"Human tongue usually calls it the aurora." Taeyang said as he went back to his seat somehow a bit weakened. Seunghyun held him to relax. "Rest, you haven't mastered the usage of your powers yet. You had spent a great amount of your strength by summoning such cleansing power. You need to recover." He said. Taeyang turned to him and smiled acknowledging his mentor's offer.

 

[~†-----TBC----+~] † Ω † [~+-----TBC----†~]