6 - Dance

Mine

 

She cursed inside her head. How could she allow things to go to that extent? Was she crazy? Was she insane? Yeah, she probably was! She couldn’t believe that she, Song Jieun was actually allowing herself to ignore every single thing her instructor was telling her and was doing what she pleased, in front of everyone. She knew she was wrong and that she could be expelled from the class or even the company, but she didn’t care. At that moment she didn’t care at all!  She would regret it later, but who cared? The moment Nam Woohyun decided to show his new song to everyone for the play he was helping producing, she stopped doing her warm-ups as she was supposed to, she stopped listening to Lee Howon and started dancing to Nam Woohyun’s music. No one else was there for her. it was just him and her. she didn’t know why, but something about those notes made her smile, made her feel like it was meant for her, that she was the only person in the whole world that could understand that song because no one else in the planet would understand that melody. It was stupid and she was sure if she said it out loud, people would laugh at her words. Maybe she would laugh as well at such stupidity!

She could feel her body move freely. Like it had a mind of it’s on and all she could do was allow it to move against her will. She never felt her body so light and she could swear she had a smile on her face. Her eyes were just in one person. Her eyes were just for Nam Woohyun who was looking at her with such passionate eyes that she couldn’t help but dance even more. Her moves were so delicate, so precise. She was sure she never danced like that in her whole life, and if she did, she didn’t remember any of it. But then the song stops and she literally freezes when she realized what she was doing. She stopped right away and saw everyone looking at her with wide eyes. Some started gossiping right away, others just continued looking at her with shocked faces. She looked to her best friend and saw the smile Jeon Hyosung had in her face. Her friend had her eyes almost sparkling in happiness and a smile that could out shine stars. She looked to happy and Jieun couldn’t understand why. She couldn’t understand why her friend was behaving like that while everyone around was staring at her like she was growing a second head. At that moment, all she wanted was a deep whole to hide and never come back. What the hell was she thinking when she decided to dance?

“Song Jieun!” She heard that cold, mean voice call her. She turned her head and saw her dance instructor looking at her with such a glare that she was sure he was going to tell her she was officially expelled of the academy. She could already imagine the scene her mother would do when she received the news. She saw him moving closer to her with his arms crossed and she was sure this wasn’t going to be good. “Who gave you permission to start dancing?” He asked and she could feel going dry, especially when he was so close to her. “…no one.” How the voice came out of was still a mystery, but she had no idea why she was still answering! Lee Howon hated when people answered. “What were you thinking?” He asked again with those eyes that could kill. She swallowed hard, feeling going completely dry and she could swear her brain had completely shut down and it would never work again. Why? Why did she do it? “…I wasn’t thinking.” Couldn’t she be quiet? Couldn’t she allow herself to be embarrassed by him for a couple of minutes and let it be over? Why was she answering? She never answered him! Never!

She looked up to him and saw his lips twist for a second. Oh, this was going to be bad. She could feel it in her bones. He bent down a little and every dancer in the room and Nam Woohyun were staring at them, not knowing what was going to happen next. “…Keep on not thinking.” He made a pause and she looked at him with confused eyes. “Keep on acting like that, without thinking and the lead role is yours.”  Everyone in the room was surprised with those words, shocked even. Every dancer’s eyes became cold and full of jealousy, except for Jeon Hyosung’s who was smiling like she had won the lottery. She was almost jumping in happiness for her friend and Nam Woohyun was just staring to Song Jieun with a small smile on his face.  She continued looking to Lee Howon and saw him walking away from her with the same cold expression as before. “Everyone take five! And watch Miss Song. You might learn something with her you insects.” With that Lee Howon left the practice room followed by all of the dancers who didn’t want to stand in the same room as the precious Jeon Hyosung and the new teacher’s pet Song Jieun.

“Jieun!” A sweet voice called. She turned and saw her best friend walking towards her with the same bright smile. “You were wonderful! I’ve never seen you dance like that!” She was sure she never danced like that either. She wasn’t sure how she danced in the first place. “I just know you lead role is going to be yours and I can’t wait to see all the lights on you!” Hyosung gave her another smile and left the practice room, probably going to call her boyfriend about some stupid think that only cared both of them. An awkward silence took over the room until she heard a small laugh. She looked towards the piano and there she saw Nam Woohyun smiling at her with such kind eyes that made her feel a little uncomfortable for some reason. She didn’t know how to explain it, but the way he was looking at her made her feel like she didn’t deserve such kindness that came from this man. “You were…” he paused and she continued looking at him. “…amazing.” His comment made her feel her cheeks burn and she was sure she was going to burn if she kept blushing like that every time she was with him or next to him.

It made no sense, at least not for her. “I never imagined that you…that you could dance to my music like that. When I saw you move…it was like time stopped.” It was probably the cheesiest line she ever heard, but it came from the heart. She knew it. She knew it did because she knew Nam Woohyun well enough to know those words came out naturally. “I hope you can dance more…but just for me.” What was he saying? Why was he saying those words? Couldn’t he see he was making her uncomfortable, embarrassed? She saw him playing with his sleeves and look down to his feet. He looked nervous and she decided she wasn’t going to pressure him to talk. Instead she stood there, waiting. “…Are you doing anything tonight? We could go out….” He asked her. she was going to say yes as fast as someone screamed her name, but then she remembered that she couldn’t.

She told that Kim Sunggyu guy that she was going to see his race. She told him she would see him if that meant him stop call her a child and start seeing her as a woman. It was the lamest excuse she ever found to go see a man, but it was the first thing that crossed her head at that moment. “…Oh…I…I can’t…” She could see how crushed Nam Woohyun looked with her answer and she felt horrible when she said it, but then she saw a bright smile on his face again. “How about breakfast tomorrow? Tomorrow you’re free right?” She nodded and saw the happiness on his face. “...Sure…sounds wonderful.” He almost jumped from his place and even thought she wanted to smile, all she could do was curse. What the hell? Was she going on dates with two completely different guys? What was wrong with her? What were they doing to her?