4 - ...Going Out?

Mine

 

She had been completely distracted. It’s been like that for weeks and she couldn’t even pay attention to anything that was around her. She couldn’t remember half of her moves, she was failing to get in sync with the other dancers and she could swear she wasn’t remembering the songs that were playing. She lost count of how many times Lee Howon shouted at her and told her she was one of the worse dancers in the company. In a normal day it would affect her ego and she would probably hide in the bathroom and cry like always, ignoring the other dancers laughing at her misery. But at that moment she didn’t care. She just looked at him, nodded, said she was sorry and would keep going. Even Lee Howon was surprised with her reactions and was sure that she was sick but that didn’t stop him from shouting at her and saying that she was doing nothing there. And why you ask? Why was she so spaced out? Why was she looking at nothing in special? She couldn’t stop thinking about that Kim Sunggyu guy. The way he was cold to her, the way that he talked to her. She never, in her short life, meet someone like him and she was sure that was why she couldn’t stop thinking about him.

And she was lucky enough that her mother didn’t saw her getting off Kim Sunggyu’s bike, otherwise she would be dead by now or probably grounded. Really, who grounded a 23year old woman? No one! No one did and yet her mother insisted that she was a little baby and had no idea how the real world was. How was she supposed to see how the real world was with a mother that didn’t allow her to see beyond her bedroom door?  “Song Jieun…” She continued doing her stretching and didn’t listen to the man calling her very gently. “…Song Jieun..:” Again, she continued ignoring, not even hearing the voice. She continued looking to the floor as she continued doing her exercises, but it was only until she felt a very gentle touch on her shoulder. She was so surprised with it that she almost jumped from her place. She raised her head and looked to her left. There she saw a man smiling at her very brightly and all she could do was smile back to him as she felt a sudden happiness take over her. She didn’t understand why she was feeling like that but she didn’t really care.

“I was starting to think you were ignoring me Song Jieun.” The man said and she just looked down to her feet for a second in shame. “I’m sorry…I was just thinking…” The man continued smiling at her and she felt a little reassured and that she didn’t offend him in any way. “I understand.” The man paused for a little while and continued looking at her. An awkward silence took over both of them and all they could hear was each other’s heavy breathing and if it wasn’t awkward before, it was certainly now. “…Everyone left…Howon left…why are you still here?” He asked and she looked around. She didn’t realize everyone had left. She could swear people were still inside the room, but she was surprised to see that no one was there besides the two of them. It was so weird. How could she not notice something like that? It wasn’t like she was working with two, three people. They were at least 20 of them. How could she not realize she was completely alone? And sure, they could totally hate her, but they could at least tell her it was time to leave right?

Why did they stood in complete silence and left her alone? “….Look…” She woke up from her thoughts and looked at him. She could see the man blushing a little and look rather embarrassed. She raised a brow and didn’t understand why he was acting like that. And…was he nervous? Was the man in front of her actually nervous?  “D…Do…Do you want to go grab some coffee or something to eat?” She could feel her eyes open widely and formed a small ‘o’ in surprise and she just couldn’t believe it. Did he…Did he actually asked her out? He saw her expression and it was more than obvious he started faking a smile. “If you don’t want to go I understand. You…You probably have a boyfriend…” Hearing the word ‘boyfriend’ made her blush and look away from the man’s eyes. “…I…I don’t have a boyfriend.” She said and as she did it, his face seemed to light up making her want to laugh a little. It was funny how he changed expressions so easily. It was like he was recording a drama or something like that. “…I would love to.” She told him with a small smile and she could see he was almost jumping from happiness. “Awesome! Then it’s a date! I’ll be waiting for you outside!” With that, he left the practice room almost running with a huge smile on his face. She stood there in her place and could feel her cheeks burn. “…date?”

 

She never have been on a date. Never! She never had guys after her asking her out or proclaiming their love to her, so having this man, Nam Woohyun wanting to go out with her was completely different and rather strange. But it wasn’t bad. It wasn’t bad at all. It made her feel happy and her heart was beating so fast that she could swear she was going to explode. It was no wonder she was acting like an awkward penguin and had no idea what to do or say. All she could do was stare to the man in front of her and nod to every single thing he had to say, even though most of the times she had no idea what he was saying. All she could do was stare to him and wonder why in the world this man, who was a woman’s dream, asker her out and not any other girl from the company. She was sure that all of the other dancers, except for Jeon Hyosung, would kill to go out with the pianist. Knowing all those women the way she did, she knew they would act crazy if he talked to them.

“…Are you listening to me?” She blinked her eyes and looked at him. “S…Sorry?” She saw the man smiling at her and she felt horribly embarrassed. What was wrong with her? Why couldn’t she actually pay attention to what he was saying? It wasn’t like he was boring. On the contrary. He was a very nice, interesting man, and that was why she couldn’t understand why in the world she couldn’t keep up with his talks. She couldn’t understand why the only thing she could do was stare at him and feel her heart beat increase even more. If she didn’t had a heart attack soon enough, she was somewhere near it. “…I’m boring you aren’t I?” Nam Woohyun asked with a seriously sad face making her feel even worse with herself than she was feeling before. “No! You aren’t boring me. I’m just…spaced out…you know…too much work.” He nodded and continued smiling at her.  How could someone smile so much and not have pain on the face.

 Was that even humanly possible? Because right now Jieun was willing o believe that he was some kind of alien or something like that. “I understand…Howon has been killing you right?” She nodded and smiled gently at him. Another awkward silence took over them and they could hear the other people’s conversations in the café. Around them there were some couples, some friends and there were at least two families. It was a very nice café with a very modern design reflecting this was indeed a place for young people to hang out and have a nice time with each other. It was right next to the auditorium and Jieun couldn’t believe she never noticed a place like this before. “I’m really happy that you accepted coming with me today.” She could see the expression on Nam Woohyun’s face changing. He was now looking a little serious but at the same time he continued having that charming aura around him which made so many people stare at him. “I thought you would say no.” Why would she even say something like that? Why would she reject him in the first place? He was actually the only person inside the company that really talked to her, besides Jeon Hyosung and every time she thought about him, all she could do was blush and feel butterflies in her stomach. Being next to him made her feel like time stopped and everything else around her was pointless.

“You’re a wonderful person Song Jieun…” he paused for a moment and she continued looking at him. “..:And I would love to keep knowing you….knowing you better…” Why was he saying those things? Why was she making her feel like she was about to explode in happiness just by hearing those words? “…Yes…I would love….to…” She said, her voice really low and a small smile on her. She had no idea what was going on, but she wouldn’t mind to keep things the way they were at that moment.