#19.

The Fault In Our Stars.

Chanyeol doesn't know what he loves the most about Baekhyun. 

It could be the eyes that crinkled adorably at the corners, it could be the ily mussed up hair, the lithe slim body, the long slender fingers, the infectious laugh, the beautiful voice or the fact that Baekhyun has a tendency to yelp like a dog in his sleep. He loves how Baekhyun would sneakily interlace their fingers together while they're walking in the hallway or how he would gently lean against Chanyeol's shoulder and fall asleep. Chanyeol loves everything about Baekhyun, so much that it absolutely terrifies him.

One day, Chanyeol had to go to Jeju Island to visit his grandparents with his family, and that meant four whole days without Baekhyun by his side. The first day was torture. Baekhyun had invaded his thoughts until he became everything that Chanyeol could think about, and he spent a sleepless night trying to remain optimistic about everything, forcing himself to bear through three more days without the adorable shorter boy by his side. It was hard. His grandparents noticed his moodiness and he had to convince them that yes, he was fine and no, he was not secretly dying inside.

Even though he was.

 

On the third day of his stay in Jeju Island, Chanyeol was standing at the balcony of his grandparents' beautiful white beach house. He leaned against the cold metal rails, breathing in the last of the long day. Though winter wasn't his favorite season, he had to admit that there was something special about the winter sunsets that nature had to show. He found himself watching the sunsets recently. They had a calming effect on him, and soothed his sanity, which threatened to slip away from him after a few days without Baekhyun by his side. 

The season cast an orange haze above the horizon, lighting up the sky as if lit up by fire, yet so crisp and clear. The sun, like a large, grandeur orange fireball in the distance was partially cloaked by the hanging clouds, which were all splashed with the random colors of hot pinks, reds and even hints of purples and blues. The sun was so large that Chanyeol felt he could almost touch it. It seemed to look at him with a dull glare, knowing that it's beauty and the planet's dependence on it for survival made up for it.

The sun which had its time to shine for the time it was given, seemed to whisper farewell to the world as it sunk lower and lower in a lazy manner; almost as if it never wanted to leave. 

It was through this majestic sight that Chanyeol realized that he loved Baekhyun. He didn't love a certain aspect of Baekhyun, no, he loved everything about that boy. That boy could drive him insane with a single touch or a single knowing smile, and it drove him absolutely crazy. Knowing that Baekhyun wasn't here in Jeju Island with him, marvelling at the splendid sunset with him, had put him in a melancholic mood. Chanyeol sighed slightly and looked at the sun again. The sun was almost as orange as the sky, like a ghost almost. Yet even from behind the trees, it seemed to stare at him; a silent ball of wonderment that was really a raging ball of Hellish fury. It felt so warm, yet so cold.

 

Just then, he couldn't resist any longer. He dug out his phone from his jeans and called Baekhyun. 

"Hello?" Baekhyun's familiar voice floated from the phone and into his ears and Chanyeol felt like he was going to cry. "Baekhyun...." He whispered, the melancholy in his eyes darkening even further. 

"Chanyeol?" Baekhyun's voice lit up and Chanyeol felt himself smiling like an idiot. They talked about their day for a couple of minutes then they became silent again. Chanyeol could hear Baekhyun's steady breathing across the line and it comforted him in a way that made up for Baekhyun's absence. 

"I'm watching the sunset now. It's beautiful." Chanyeol said softly. 

"Oh, really? Wait for me!" Baekhyun suddenly hung up and Chanyeol stared at his phone confusedly. He tried calling Baekhyun again but the boy didn't answer. He frowned and felt himself sink into the depths of melancholy again. Just when he was about to give up and leave the balcony, his phone rang again and he dove to answer it. "Hello, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun's beautiful voice floated into his ears again and Chanyeol smiled, his eyes lighting up.

"Yes, I'm here."

"I'm at the Han River now, watching the sunset. Are you still watching it too?"

Chanyeol glanced out at the sinking sun in the horizon and he smiled again. "Yeah, I still am."

"Let's watch it together then."

".... I would love to."

 

Chanyeol sat down on the balcony floor, pulling his knees up against his chin and leaning on the wall, silently admiring the sunset. His phone was still clutched to his ear and he knew that Baekhyun was silently watching the sunset by the Han River too. It comforted him in a way that words never could; knowing that the boy he loved was watching the same sunset as him. They may have been in different parts of the country, but nevertheless, the sunset that they were watching was identical, and that fact alone was beautiful.

They continued quietly watching the sunset, their phones still clutched to their ears and their eyes lit up in a glow that never really goes away.

"I love you." Chanyeol said slowly, his eyes still glued to the sunset. He could feel Baekhyun's breathing quicken slightly from the phone and he smiled. 

"I love you too."

 

By the time both of them hung up the phone, the sun was gone, leaving behind a sea of dark, lonely clouds in a twilight sky. The sunset was like the edge of the earth, burning with the last light of the day, giving an ethereal appearance to the fading sky. Chanyeol held on to his phone limply and he realized that the boy he loved was like the sun; beautiful and everlasting, and even when the sun sets, he takes comfort in knowing that it's still there

And it always will be.

He takes one last look at the horizon that stretched out beyond him as he turned around and walked away, knowing that somewhere out there, Baekhyun was slowly turning around and walking away from the faded sunset too. Chanyeol smiles as he grips his phone tighter, reveling in the knowledge that he only had to go through one more day before he can see the boy he loved again.

Sunsets may be fleeting, but its beauty is forever.

 

 

******

What can I say..... I just love Baekyeol too much. I can't imagine both of them actually doing that though... being in different parts of the country yet watching the same sunset together. It's making my Baekyeol feels overflow, asdfghjkl. :3  

Hope you guys enjoyed this. :)  Subscribe and comment, please!

x,