#16.

The Fault In Our Stars.

It was practically impossible to set the two of them up together. 

At least that was what Sehun had said frustratedly, after the tenth failed attempt they had made to try to get Kai and Kyungsoo to be in the same room with each other. It was impossible. Kyungsoo avoided Kai like the plague and vice versa. During lunch, if Sehun managed to drag Kai to the lunch table, Kyungsoo would hurriedly excuse himself with the pretense that he had things to do. Luhan was not happy with the slow progress they were making.

Maybe that was why they all ended up hiding behind a bush trying to spy on Kai. Classes were over and Kai had casually loped out of the school and went to the deli nearby to grab a sandwich for lunch. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun and Luhan were literally all squished behind a bush together, trying desperately to get a glimpse of him. It was like a scene out of a spy movie or a cliche drama. 

"I feel like an idiot." Sehun grumbled and Luhan turned around to glare at his boyfriend. It was a cold winter afternoon and the wind blew in strong gusts. Baekhyun felt goosebumps rising on his skin and he cuddled closer to Chanyeol for warmth. The snow seemed to settle down in perfect spirals around them and through the half concealed view of the bush, they could see Kai's emotionless face. He was leaning against one of the stools in the deli, waiting for them to make his sandwich. 

"Okay," Luhan said, glancing at his neon pink notebook. "Kai goes to the deli at 3.30pm every day to grab a sandwich, then he goes back home to change and comes back to school to use the dance practice rooms at 5pm. He finishes dance practice at 7pm." Everyone stared at the oblivious blonde boy and Sehun muttered "Since when do you know so much about Kai's schedule?"

Luhan rolled his eyes at them. "It's called spying. Don't you watch American spy movies?"

 

*****

Kai had felt strangely different these past few days. He had been trying his best to avoid everyone and spent most of his time in the dance practice room. He lost count over the hours he'd spend in that room, moving his body to the beat of the music while observing himself through the floor length mirrors. Winter's slow descent seemed to have no effect on him and he tried his best to remain oblivious to anything else. It was only him and his dancing. Nothing else.

However, a wide-eyed handsome boy kept popping unconsciously into his thoughts and it was driving him crazy.

After school, he had walked over to the deli, ignoring all the stares that would frequently land on him. Kai had the cool indifferent look to him and his lean tan physique did nothing but favours for him. Despite having so many admirers, he had never been in a relationship before. Even though every single day, love letters from various anonymous admirers would be crammed into his locker and he'd randomly receive bouquets of flowers and expensive chocolate in class, he had never considered dating before.

He didn't know why. He just never bothered.

But a certain someone was making him second-guess every single perception he had in the past and he felt like he was on the verge of insanity because of it. Sometimes, he would dream about going on dates with Kyungsoo and he would wake up in the morning, feeling like he had been dipped into a jar of honey. But once reality struck him in the face, he would immediately started berating himself for even having those dreams. Sometimes, when he was dancing, Kyungsoo's heavenly singing would suddenly pop into his head and he would find himself unconsciously humming along to the tune.

I am an idiot. Kai thought as he leaned against a stool in the deli. He glanced out of the store window and noticed that it was snowing again. He allowed a slight wistful smile to appear on his face. "Kai, your sandwich is ready." One of the deli's workers, Yoonjung, called out and Kai was snapped out of his trance. He gave a curt nod to Yoonjung and took his sandwich before walking out of the deli. 

It's cold. Kai thought as he shoved his hands into his pockets and started trudging back home.

 

*****

The night seemed to have gotten even colder. The entire school building was dark and deserted as Kai made his way to the dance practice room. He shrugged his hoodie off as he switched on the lights and the stereo. The familiar dance music started blasting and it seemed to hypnotize him, as he set his own rhythm and moved to the beat, shutting down his thoughts and allowing his body to start making the decisions for him. The time crept past and soon, he was lost in his own world, lost in his own rhythm, hypnotized within a realm that only dancing seemed to make possible for Kai. 

Just then, he heard a loud high-pitched scream.

Kai immediately stopped dancing and turned off the stereo, tilting his head to the direction of the sound, brow furrowed. 

Luhan suddenly burst into the room, flailing his arms wildly and looking every bit like a damsel in distress. Before Kai could even question his sudden presence, he practically latched himself onto Kai and wailed, "There's been a terrible accident!" Kai raised his eyebrows and Luhan continued on, nearly hysterical, "Sehun's badly injured! You need to come now, Kai. He's hurt!" 

Before Kai could respond, Luhan had an iron grip on Kai's arm and was already dragging him out of the dance practice room and down the deserted dark hallway. Kai felt a strange premonition and glanced suspiciously at Luhan. "Why would Sehun be injured here? The school's practically deserted now, since it's dark." Luhan flushed slightly but ignored his question. Kai saw himself being dragged into an extremely familiar hallway and his heart leaped strangely. This was the hallway leading to the music practice rooms, which were where Kyungsoo would practice the piano and sing, while Kai remained hidden outside, listening secretly.

"Where are we-" 

Kai was pushed into a music room and he heard Luhan yell, "Have fun!" before slamming and locking the door. He cursed slightly as he spun around and faced a wide-eyed handsome boy sitting by a black grand piano, his fingers still poised over the keys. 

. . .

Kai silently swore to murder Luhan and Sehun later, probably even Baekhyun and Chanyeol, if they had a hand in this.

He quickly walked over to the door and tried to open it but it was bolted shut. His heart accelerated by a thousand-fold as he slowly turned around to face that wide-eyed boy again. 

 

"We're stuck."

 

 

*****

I'm so going to enjoy the next chapter. :3

Btw, I wrote a Hunhan one-shot last night, you can read it if you want.

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/265536/ends-of-the-earth-fluff-oneshot-romance-exo-luhan-sehun-hunhan

I was surprised that so many people liked it, 'cause it was my first time writing a one-shot. If it's crappy, please forgive me.

Nevertheless, I hope you'll still take the time to read it and tell me what you think. :p  

Thanks!  xx