#14.

The Fault In Our Stars.

It became a ritual. 

Every day, Kai would sneak to the music room at precisely eight fifteen at night to listen to Kyungsoo play the piano and sing. He would make sure to quickly leave as soon as the clock struck ten fifteen, because he knew that was when Kyungsoo would stop playing, gather up his things and leave the music room. Kai would allow himself to slowly fall asleep with the beautiful lullaby Kyungsoo always hummed gently, and he would immediately jerk himself awake the moment he heard the piano stop playing.

One fine night, he was walking slowly down the hallway, all sweaty and tired from dance practice, when he heard a loud shrill scream from an empty classroom. He recognized Luhan's voice and rolled his eyes. At first, Kai thought that he and Sehun were banging in the classroom but on closer inspection, he realized that it had been a scream of frustration. He walked over to the source of the screaming and his eyes squinted slightly as he made out the two dark figures in the classroom. He jolted slightly in shock when he realized that it was Luhan and another guy who was definitely not Sehun. His back was facing Kai so Kai couldn't see his face, but his figure looked awfully familiar though.

"What's the point of hiding it?" Luhan's unusually harsh voice filtered through the thin night air and Kai strained his ears to hear more. He saw the figure facing Luhan shrug slightly, shoulders downcast in a droop. Luhan said again "I suggest that you should at least try. Did you see Baekhyun and Chanyeol? They're like the happiest couple right now." 

Kai raised his eyebrows. Baekhyun and Chanyeol? What was Luhan talking about? 

Luhan and that unknown stranger hurried out of the classroom, apparently intent on resuming their conversation elsewhere. Kai stood up from his hiding place and stared at their retreating figures, wondering what the hell had just transpired in that empty classroom.

 

*****

Sehun rolled his eyes at the cuddling couple sitting next to him on the sofa. "I swear you guys are disgusting."

Chanyeol shrugged away from Baekhyun's embrace and glared him. "Oh, please. I had to endure you and Luhan's disgusting lovey-dovey behavior for years. I'm pretty sure I suffered way more than you." Baekhyun giggled and buried his head in Chanyeol's shoulder. Sehun reddened slightly and huffed "I wish Luhan was here so I wouldn't be stuck here being the third wheel to the two of you."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "Now you know how Kai and I felt for two years."

 

*****

Kyungsoo snatched Lay's can of beer and downed it in one whole gulp. 

"Hey!" Lay protested weakly, trying to snatch it back but the beer can's contents had already been drained empty. He glared at the slightly intoxicated Kyungsoo and flung the can into the nearest bin. It was midnight and they were at the park. Kyungsoo had called Lay and asked him to meet by the swings, and Lay, being the ever faithful friend agreed to the meeting, though slightly baffled by Kyungsoo's unusual behavior. Kyungsoo had always been the demure good boy, but now, he looked wrecked. 

"I'm such an idiot."

Lay glanced at his best friend. "Why would you say that?"

Kyungsoo didn't reply, his fingers touching the cold metal chain of the swings. His thoughts flashed back his encounter with Luhan earlier in the empty classroom. Luhan had asked him to try confessing his feelings to Kai, but Kyungsoo refused. He was surprised that even Luhan knew about his staggeringly obvious feelings for a certain tan skinned handsome male, but he guessed that it couldn't be helped. He snatched another beer can from the six-pack Lay had brought along and popped it open. He downed a huge gulp, swallowing the bitter liquid and forcing himself to not wince. Lay chuckled at his obvious inexperience and snatched his beer can away. "You can't drink this."

Kyungsoo whined "Give it back!" and tried to snatch it, but ended up falling off the swings in his inebriated state. Lay sighed and helped him up. The cold night air was starting to bite at his skin and he felt strangely alive in this super icy weather. Maybe it was because his senses felt more liberated than ever before, or maybe it was just because of the alcohol. 

He and Lay ended up finishing the entire six-pack of beer, giggling and laughing into the darkness of the night.