Chapter 18

Whom to Fall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now it was her turn to be flabbergasted. As if she was slapped by his question. It seems that her sleeping sanity was nudged with that simple issue. Suddenly, all the events happened less than two weeks ago came all back to her mind - the strange beat of her heart as well as her unusual reaction to Kai’s gestures and words.

 

Does she love Kai?

 

“Okay,” he continued. “Let’s alter the question, Jieun. Do you like my son?”

 

Does she like Kai? That’s easy to answer. “Yeah, I think I like him.”

 

“Why?”

 

Then she remembered what Kai had done for her. “Despite of his incessant womanizing, at the end of the day, he is still beside me. We often have disagreements but eventually, he still gives in. He accepts that he is wrong even though he didn’t know if he was the real culprit. My every day is monotonous and I do not notice it until he pesters me.”

 

“It seems like my son has a special place in your life.”

 

“Yeah, he has.”

 

“Is it safe to presume that you have, in a meticulous and complicated way, loved my son?”

 

Because of what she heard, she felt as if a cold bucket of water was splashed on her. She did not respond. After all, she doesn’t need to since she already answered the question – in some way – because of her earlier reply.

 

Was she really in love with him? But how did that happened? She didn’t even like him – most of the time. And… she likes Baekhyun?

 

“Dad, what are you doing here?”

 

She automatically glanced at the source of that familiar voice she heard. And she did not expect what might her initial reaction be when she saw Kai’s handsome face peeking at the door. Her heart just couldn’t stop beating hard, especially when he smiled at her as he entered and walked towards their direction.

 

“What are you doing here?” questioned by his dad. “It’s already 11pm. You should be at your own house. No well-bred man will be at a woman’s house particularly at this hour.”

 

“You should tell that to yourself, dad. You are not young anymore. Your arthritis might strike again.” Once more, he placed his arms around hers. “It’s getting cold nowadays. Right, IU?”

 

“Why are your arms all over hers? Do you want me to charge you with ual harassment? Stay away from Jieun. It’s humiliating. As if I didn’t teach you good morals and right conduct.”

 

“This is what you taught me, dad. Hey, IU. Why are you all clammed up?”

 

She could not even look back at him because she is more concern on how to calm her agitated heart. Goodness! What was going on with her? Why did she feel that way?

 

“IU,” he called again.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter