Egg-Shell White 1/3

Love Notes at My Door

Chen distanced himself from the practice room with unsure steps and frightened gasps, his heart shuttering beneath his flesh and refusing to rest. The world without glasses lay vast and full of frightening wonder. Chen sputtered to a stop only when he felt his lungs throb with exertion, his eyes slightly watering from overextending his physical strength. He hunched over and breathed harshly, blinking in an attempt to calm down, but how could he? As his mind processed all that had happened moments ago, Chen refused to believe it. Xiumin did not call his voice pretty with that warm, swimming voice of his. He did not place him above Luhan, who sounded so much more prepared, so much more perfect than he. Chen shook his head and scanned his surroundings. For such a weak will, Chen had managed to dash clear across campus and far away from Xiumin in the process. His heart danced as he remembered the brown of Xiumin's smiling eyes, the pale, smooth looking skin of his large and adorably plump cheeks, how he smiled right at him and no one else.

As Chen thought of his encounter with his crush, that word came nowhere near how much he felt for the small male, his eyes scrunched up with new tears. The hallway Chen occupied lay barren, and the beautiful boy took the opportunity to press his back against the dark russet lockers and fall to his bottom, curling his upper torso over his knees. He was so close to him, only a few feet away, and Chen had done the most childish thing in the universe, he ran. He ran away and now he sat pitying himself and crying because he ran away. He pulled his knees closer and shut his eyes, wishing for once he was someone else; someone strong and someone who could fight for the things that he wants instead of simply backing down and never trying. Xiumin, as strong as he was, needed someone who could lift him up and support him fully; Chen told himself he couldn't, not when he can barely carry his own weight. Xiumin needed someone who can hold him when he cries and tell him he loves him over and over without it becoming excruciating cheesy, because it was true. Chen attempted at stilling his trembling form, the tremors shaking him in short intervals, but to no avail.

"I'm hopeless," Chen mumbled dejectedly, reaching his hand in his pocket to search for the periwinkle note he had planned on throwing away before Tao had taken it and about it. In all honesty, he could never be angry at the younger, he could never be angry at anyone, it was just the way Chen was, but his feelings had been crushed. Tao made it seem as if the thought of someone like him portraying feelings for someone like Xiumin, someone amazing and honored and liked among so many, was utterly ridiculous and ultimately laughable. Finding nothing in the pocket, Chen tried the other, alternating between the two until he was absolutely sure there was no note. He sat, unmoving, already realizing what had most likely happened to the note that should have never existed. He dropped it, back in the practice room in his haste to get away from Xiumin. He dropped the note meant to be erased, on the stage, in plain sight. Chen had to assume the worst, that Xiumin saw it and knows and that he's probably laughing his head off because how can you be in love with someone you've never met or seen before in your life?

"We h-have met before," Chen argued with his inner self, at how his conscious seemed to be against him,"and he wont l-laugh. He's not like that!" Still, Chen felt distressed that he had been so careless as to leave something so close to the truth behind. He was scared. He was more frightened than being abandoned at EXO Academy by his parents, being so far away from all he had ever known, and becoming a burden to everyone around him for his lack of strength. Chen was terrified of xiumin not reciprocating his feelings. 

"Kai, you mess everything up. I'm not surprised Kyungsoo doesn't want to see you," Chen lifted his head instantly as the familiar voice traveled from just down the hall. He hastily wiped at his sore eyes and his flushed cheeks with unsteady hands just as Chanyeol, Kai, and Sehun rounded the corner, right in his line of vision and definitely vice versa. Kai froze mid-rebuttal and stared at Chen with an odd stare the unknown beauty couldn't place just as Chanyeol and Sehun met his awkward gaze.

"CHEN?"

"WHAT THE- A tall, slim male with large eyes and an even larger smile added. His reddish brown hair was straight and brushed around his face in a sort of halo. Chen had seen him before.

"ARE YOU PHOTOSHOPPED?" The only one left, a beautiful sunkissed male known as Kai or the according to Kyungsoo roared.

"SHUT UP KAI!"

Chen blinked, clearing his vision from the blurry tears and willed a smile to his lips, ignoring the throbbing in his chest, aching for him to be alone so that he could finish crying.

"S-Sehun, w-what are you doing here?" Chen spoke softly, and the three stooges (as dubbed by Kyungsoo on many accounts), noticed the pink rim to Chen's usually soft, deep brown eyes, and the way his voice whispered instead of spoke. He seemed sad, and Sehun could only guess who had been the cause. He walked over to where Chen sat against the locker, being the closest to him out of the three, and easily pulled the pretty male to his feet, nonchalantly brushing away the boy's tears and putting his arm around his shoulder. Sehun may not have the same calming affect Kyungsoo possesses, but he knew he could make Chen feel better somehow.

"What happened to you Chen-chen? Weren't you going to have practice with Luhan?" Chen internally facepalmed, having completely forgotten about his much needed practice with the only person he was able to duet with. Would Luhan be upset? 

"I-I," What was Chen to say? Xiumin walked in while I was singing and called my voice pretty or another form of the word and then he said I sounded better than your boyfriend, who I might add, IS Chinese, and then I ran away and you found me crying? 

"I'm sorry." Kai and Chanyeol simply watched the display of deepest remorse, knowing Chen from small interactions, but not enough to really know him. They were still in the process of believing he looked that delicate without his glasses on.

"No, it's fine. Lulu won't be mad."

"Are you sure?" Sehun nodded his head, keeping his eyes friendly and beginning to lead Chen over to the two gaping Neanderthals. 

"Of course he'll understand," Sehun spoke gently, as if he were the older of the two, "And these are two of my best friends, Chanyeol and Kai. This is Chen, my other roommate." Sehun introduced them, thinking it would be a nice way for Chen to get out from under Kyungsoo's wing sometimes. Chen shyly smiled, he always had a hard time meeting new people, but the pair looked more comical than anything.

"HI!" Chanyeol and Kai seemed to be on the same wavelength with each other. Chen could tell they were fun like Sehun and he might even get to be close with them as well.

"Hi."

"You sing right," Chanyeol asked, breaking the ice with a topic Chen could adapt to with ease. He nodded his head and talked about how singing made him feel alive. The newly formed group continued on their walk, Chen accompanying them to the cafe for free food, and by the end of their time together, his tinkling laughter could be heard along with rambunctious snorting, normal laughter, and evil snickers. 

Xiumin couldn't shake the irritation of being left behind. He speculated on the matter throughout his morning lectures and even while his teachers threw pencils or markers at his head with accuracy to catch his attention. If he really liked me, Xiumin thought later on that very day, he would have done something while I was there, standing before him. Maybe it was the abruptness of discovering his admirer, or perhaps the unsettling butterflies that assaulted his stomach each time he remembered that sweet voice serenading his mind, but Xiumin found himself unable to focus on anything, anything but the beautiful, unknown, admirer. He fiddled with the soccer ball between his feet, staring across  the empty field to the goal on the other side. It was his free period, and all he wanted was a place where he could relax and forget about it all. He wanted to forget about the endless pressure weighing on his shoulders to be the next Kris, the next star, and to stop feeling so hurt over a person he technically hasn't met.

Xiumin regulated his breathing and kicked the ball lightly, his fit legs easily taking off after the moving projectile and kicking it with more force. The ball seemed to be in tune with Xiumin's movements, moving in the direction he sought and keeping pace with his quick feet. Before he could blink, Xiumin had crossed over more than half of the field in a mere moment, his sharp eyes set on the nearing goal. When he was in a breaths reach, he decreased his speed and propelled his right leg forward, swiftly kicking the ball into a flying spin. The soccer ball easily blasted into the net, still slightly spinning on contact, before dropping to the ground and resting against the white ropes. Xiumin lightly jogged over to where the ball lay, and bent down to retrieve it.

"Mind a little one on one?" Xiumin looked up and saw the golden blonde hair first, and smiled shyly. The tale male stood a few feet away, also sporting black shorts and a grey tank top, his crooked smile blinding.

"Sure Captain." Kris shook his head and walked over.

"I should be calling you that. You suite the job much better than I do." Xiumin never understood how Kris could be so modest. He could save a life and blame it on his shoes for being comfortable enough to run in. The duo walked over to the center line and faced each other, Kris on the left, Xiumin taking right. It would be  a lie if he said he wasn't intimidated, Kris had a leader-like aura that no one dare mess with.

"First to five," Kris said with an air of calm.

"Sure." Xiumin set the ball on the ground between them and set back, his competitive nature setting in and analyzing Kris down to his very stance. It was an unspoken rule that Kris make the first move, and when he did, Xiumin fought to keep up, sprinting after Kris and landing a well placed kick from right under his left foot, stealing the ball and coolly spinning to head for his goal. He felt the dragon chasing after him and quickened his pace to try and stay ahead. Kris had the upper hand with much longer legs, using them to his advantage and rounding around Xiumin, expertly stealing the ball and passing Xiumin back to his goal again. They kept this type of play up, neither trying too hard to win, but also never letting the other get the better play. 

"Do you really want to be captain," Kris asked as he paused mid-field, balancing the soccer ball with the tip of his toe.

"I do-"

"Then play like you mean it. Like you want to win." Xiumin nodded his head and let his shoulders relax, facing Kris with a new objective. Kris tried to pass him with the ball, but Xiumin crisscrossed and took the ball mid step, kicking the ball with force and racing Kris down the field behind it, barely managing to take the lead and send the ball flying into his net just as the bell rang for afternoon classes to start. Kris caught up to Xiumin easily, patting Xiumin's head affectionately.

"Not bad at all. I wasn't expecting that cross move you pulled." Xiumin picked up the ball and held it beneath his sweaty arm, flushing at the compliment from someone he truly idolized.

"Its one I've been working on for a while, but the timing was wrong. If you had actually moved a second faster, my would've hit the floor." Kris laughed at Xiumin's choice of words as he stretched his arms. They looked towards the school grounds nearby, students now occupying the space. Kris led them towards the edge of the field, where their bags and uniforms lay splashed against the bench.

"You can go ahead and shower Min," Kris said and took the soccer ball, "Perks of being captain include showing up late. Use the power wisely." Xiumin grabbed his things and bid Kris goodbye, who said he wanted to stay and practice for a few more minutes. Xiumin had a feeling he was really just waiting for Tao to show up. He had caught them once, in the worst compromising position possible, which means and going at it like to deprived rabbits, and swore to never bring up the incident again. So far, so good. Well, besides just now . . . damn. Xiumin fixed his bag against his sweat drenched back and walked towards the gym for a shower. Along the way, people would greet him with a bow and wish him good luck for the upcoming game against Woolim High. It was still odd being of such value when Xiumin could remember the days he could barely understand Korean, despite it being his ethnicity. He was born in China and had gotten used to it before transitioning to Korea.

"Wait, he didn't look Chinese," Xiumin murmured in realization, stopping in his tracks with an infectious smile,"But he sang in Mandarin. He must be like me!" Xiumin felt his insides turn delicately as he remembered the boys surprised, slightly horrified, face. He was so pretty, Xiumin didn't understand why he was the one admired. Surely someone with that extent of beauty could go for someone so much better, atleast taller.

Why? Xiumin couldn't fathom the slightest idea.

Why love . . . me?

"Maybe if I ask Luhan, he'll tell me," Xiumin mused, drying his hair with a towel as he slipped his shoes on; he tossed the used towel in the hamper, imagining making a jump shot knowing very well he was too small to even consider it. The shower had been relaxing and Xiumin took as much time as possible. He carried his bag over his shoulder and exited the locker room to head for his first class of the afternoon, Music Appreciation with Kai&Sehun.

Oh, the joy. 

 

 

 

I actually added the meeting between Chen and SeKaiYeol after I had written the original, and it's mean to show the kind of rift between Chen and Xiumin seeing as they dont really hang out with the same people. Team Xiumin will usually consists of Tao, Kris, Lay, Kai, Chanyeol and Team Chen is mostly Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Suho, and Sehun. Luhan is Chen's singing partner and Xiumin's roommate, which is the perfect inbetween. So Chen being introduced to more of Xiumin's friends will play a major role later on. :)

And I may or may not make an appearance of an infinite member, depending on how I feel later . Since I based the story itself on a cliche, would it be too much if someone from infinite liked Chen? Or no. Whatever it is you guys want, I'll probably go with it. Lol

Until next time . :)