Seafoam Green

Love Notes at My Door

The note, green in hue and small in stature, fluttered lightly against the minimal breeze passing through the quiet neighborhood. If not for the thin strip of adhesive attaching the little slip of paper to the pristine white door, the wind would’ve surely blown the green sheet elsewhere, to the wrong hands, the wrong eyes. Xiumin, sporting an exercise bag across his slim shoulder, breathed harshly has his strained legs stepped up the driveway to the house he shared with Luhan and Kai. He had just finished his intensive camp training for an upcoming soccer tournament and felt in dire need of a shower and sleep, maybe even a small meal since he felt his stomach quiver with hunger. Xiumin's fitted soccer shorts stuck against his thighs in an uncomfortable manner, causing the small male to shimmy up the carless driveway with a pout on his plush lips. He swiftly reached his small fingers into the pocket of his team sweater, where he had placed his house keys prior to practice that afternoon. His digits met metal and with a sigh of relief, Xiumin pulled his keys from his pocket and leaned forward to push the small piece of silver into the keyhole, almost missing the green square fluttering against the door. The small sound itself was enough to catch Xiumin's attention, making the pale boy lift his head towards the fluttering noise. The greenish blue hue, reminding Xiumin of his single memory of the ocean, gleamed prettily against the white frame of the front door. Blinking in wonder, he quickly looked from left to right, in hopes that the messenger was still in sight, but the street lay vacant. Looking back to the note, Xiumin gently enveloped the slip in his hand and pulled it from the door, turning the key and heading inside. The sound of laughter met his ear as Xiumin slipped his shoes off and tossed his bag in the corner, the chafing of his thighs caused by the skin tight shorts beginning to slowly drive him insane.

"Min?" Luhan, Xiumin's favorite of the two house-mates, called from the living room, giggling soon after.

"Yeah," Xiumin called in response, walking into the living room with the note neatly held. Scanning over the living room, Xiumin noticed the editions to the house. Luhan's boyfriend Sehun sat back and waved to him childishly, grinning as Luhan pressed against him.

"Hyung," Kai, the overexposed roommate, called in greeting from his seat on the floor. His friend Chanyeol, who Xiumin only knew through a class they shared, sat next to the dark haired male on the floor, eyes trained on the screen of the TV, a complicated controller in the palm of his hands.

"Nice tights." Xiumin rolled his eyes and ignored the snarky comment from Sehun's seemingly innocent lips and stalked past the small group in hopes to rid himself of the tights as soon as possible. Xiumin pushed his room door open and stepped inside, locking the door behind him since privacy was not accounted for in the house, and placed the still unread note atop his cluttered desk. He pulled the shorts from his slim hips with a sigh of content and plucked a pair of sweat pants from the floor. Once changed, Xiumin decided the note should be read before it became lost among the scattered papers he had yet to categorize. Being a part of the soccer team, as well as upcoming captain, left Xiumin stressed and unable to finish anything the male started. He picked up the small sheet from his desk and sat back against his equally untidy bed. Perfect script scrawled all across the note in rather small writing, but Xiumin could make it out, his eyes widening with each word written, cheeks flushing a primrose as his heart shuttered. Before he could fall deeper into embarrassment, Xiumin shook his head and tossed the note elsewhere, frowning slightly.

It had to be some sort of joke; there was too much truth hidden in the pretty font scribbled along the note. Xiumin did enjoy acts such as this, sweetly written notes from someone who admired him. His plush cheeks refused to lighten as he left his room to confront Luhan. The Chinese male had been the only one who knew of Xiumin's odd affection for cliché and the hopeless romantic he was. Then again, Xiumin paused, what if the being behind the thoughtfully written words was being serious? If that were the case, Xiumin didn’t want to bring it to the attention of the others, they would surely over a silly love note and he would never live it down. He turned back, where his room door lay obscured, and sighed at his decision. Quietly walking back inside the stuffy confines of his things, Xiumin retrieved the note and looked around for a place to hide it. His room at been raided plenty of times before and he did not want the note to be found. It was his after all, right? Someone unknown had taken time out for their day to write it just for him, to make him happy, and he was. Glancing down at the small slip with pinkened cheeks, Xiumin placed the note under his largest stack of papers no one dare approach. His heart fluttering slightly as he remembered a few of the words, Xiumin’s fingers trembling.

But who? Who had written the little slice of a letter? Knew his favorite color?

Xiumin wanted to know, badly.

"I was told green was your color of favor, and hoped that by writing on this color, I could gain your attention. I was also told that you would like this, being written to. I'm hoping that this note will at least bring a smile to your lips, even for a moment that your eyes of ever deepening brown may soften because of me. I've been waiting for a very long time to gain this courage and maybe one day I can confess to you what I hold in my heart in person, but until then, please allow no one else to steal you away.

Sadly, this is the last green sheet that I have; I hope you don't mind the color periwinkle."

Chen fidgeted in his seat for the fourth time in a minute, the nerves festering like a sore. His heart throbbed in his ears, his breath leaving his weak chest in bursts of air. He felt like he had committed a crime, one that would lead him the death penalty, and he would have preferred lethal injection. Everywhere he looked, he saw Xiumin’s face, his smile, his laugh, the way he rubbed away at his pretty eyes in the morning, still tired from so little sleep the night prior. Sometimes he worried for the older, even if Xiumin never knew of it. Sighing slightly, Chen crouched down and began to pick up the crushed green papers, a few words being written on them in ink, and toss them in the bin by his desk.

He had slaved over writing a simple note for hours, each time failing, but never giving in. He wanted to do something to make Xiumin smile after all of the training he had been undergoing for their school’s upcoming soccer tournament. Chen was no good when it came to sports but to his understanding, someone needed mental and physical capability, and it felt like Xiumin was pushing himself too hard.

“Hey Chen-chen,” A voice spoke out of the quiet, making Chen flinch and look towards his room door with frantic eyes. He quickly recovered the rest of the useless pieces of green and dumped them in the trash bin before peering up at Kyungsoo through his glasses.

“H-Hey Soo,” Chen managed to murmur, hanging his head to hide the nervous blush running along his cheeks. He was a rather shy person who had yet to adjust to the thought of living without people who weren’t his parents, though Kyungsoo made up for it in the mother department. Kyungsoo stepped inside Chen’s domain quietly, closing the door behind him in the process.

“You aren’t still shy about that note, are you Chen,” Kyungsoo asked as he sat in front of the blushing male. Chen was the quiet roommate, while Sehun was too busy away at the devil’s lair, also known as Kim Jogin’s house, to be with his boyfriend Luhan. Chen winced at the word “note,” remembering how hard his heart hammered inside his chest when he pressed the note to Xiumin’s house door and bolted before anyone could see his face. He nodded his head and sat with his chin against his knees.

“Don’t worry, I’ve known Xiumin for a long time and Luhan was sure he would like it. There’s nothing to be scared of. You may not be able to tell him right now, so just write to him how you feel.  Chen raised his head and gave a small smile of heartfelt appreciation. With so little self-confidence, Hearing Kyungsoo's encouragement had Chen feeling better about his choice. He laid his cheek against his knees and heaved a sigh.

"I-I just wish that I k-knew him as long as y-you and everyone else. I wish I-I didn't just b-barge into your life like t-this." Chen sometimes wondered how much of a burden he was to Kyungsoo and Sehun. They each had a life, things to do, but he was always one of their priorities. Before he realized it, Kyungsoo had taken the vacant seat by his side and placed a pale had atop his black mop of hair.

"Don't think like that Chen, it's not even close to the truth. And it doesn't matter how long you've known him, you love him. And love doesn't worry about time; it only cares about being fulfilled."

"Then w-why won't you answer K-Kai's calls?" Chen blinked innocently while Kyungsoo sputtered for breath and imagined jumping off of Namsan tower. He cringed as he caught his breath and thought about his not-lover.

"That's a bit different Chen. Even though I . . . Care about Jongin a lot, he's too stupid to see that. He hurt me a lot and I think he should suffer."

"T-That's not nice." Kyungsoo chuckled at Chen's choice of words, despite them being the complete truth.

"I know, and I'll probably feel bad for it later, but Kim Jogin needs a lesson." Chen nudged his chin against his knee, feeling relaxed as Kyungsoo combed his fingers through his hair.

"But . . . Don't you love him?" Kyungsoo repeated the choking motion, pulling away from Chen's innocent gaze and placing a hand to his clothed heart. 

"Chen, you're going to be the death of me." Chen frowned at the remark, only realizing the joke when he saw Kyungsoo smile. He managed to raise the corner of his lips before Kyungsoo said his goodnight and slipped through the door. Once the door clicked as a sign of closing, Chen stood and walked towards his bed, falling backwards and into his sheets of gossamer. His shirt rode up against his chest, revealing the smooth pale abs he's worked so hard to achieve. Pulling away his glasses, Chen gently ran the palm of his hand against his closed eyelids, sighing in content as the tingles in his optical nerves perished. He tossed his glasses off to the side, worried in the least, and sighed. The glasses were of no use to Chen after the seventh grade, but he wore them out of habit. They gave him a metaphorical form of cover, but the person hidden behind the lens was someone unknown. Chen was amazing, to put it lightly, he just knew nothing about projecting the boy kept inside.

"I want h-him to see me," Chen murmured, "I want him to really see me."