Warmness

Live Life

 

We just have to look for help around the area.” Seungho said while scanning around the place. 

 

It was only then that he realized that they were in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by giant trees and threatened to be engulfed by darkness if they walk away from the car's headlight.

 

Eunji gave her a frightened and desperate look. “Where?”

 

Seungho looked at her with a smile, trying to hold back his fears. “We'll find someone, don't worry.”

 

They started to walk along the road, guided by the car's headlights, hands clasped at each other. They only walked a meter or two when Seungho smelled smoke. He stopped walking and started to look around when figures of light caught his eye.

 

Look!” He pointed towards the source of light.

 

W-what is th-that?!” Eunji cannot help but stutter.

 

I think it's a house. Maybe we could ask for help.”

 

W-wha..w-what if..”

 

We have no choice, do we?”

 

She just nodded.

 

They walked thru the woods, looking at the source of light trying to take a good glimpse of it.

 

It was a cabin made of pine wood.

 

They looked at each other, trying to get an assurance from one another of what they're gonna do. With small steps, they approached the porch. They were only several feet away from the front door when they heard someone giggling, probably a small person. They looked at each other, both baffled. Seungho walked closer to the door, and tried to evesdrop by placing his ear on surface of the door. It wasn't long when he lifted his arms slowly then knocked on the door. Just then, the giggling stopped. Sensing sudden movements from behind the door, he knocked again. 

 

Suddenly the door creaked as it open slowly, and a face of a woman, around 50 years old, with a scared look in her face, peeked.

 

Seungho smiled, and with a trembling voice said, “Good evening ma'am. My friend and I got car troubles, and we are not able to contact anyone for help. I was wondering if you could point us to the nearest car repair shop or something w-”

 

It's late. The next town is 2 kilometers away.“ her tone was quite authoritative, but trembling. 

 

Oh, if that's the case maybe w-”

 

She shut the door closed that made Seungho jump. She looked ar Eunji who gave her a baffled look.

 

He was about to walk back to her when the door suddenly opened wide, with the woman still peeking behind the door. “Come in.”

 

Seungho gave Eunji a look of assurance before reverting his eyes back at the old lady who's been staring at the two of them, terrified.

 

N- neh..” Seungho replied, then gave her a 90 degree bow.

 

He tried to be as discreet as he can while he motion for Eunji to come closer to him. Eunji gave him an awkward smile, then gazed at the old lady by the door...She gave her a playful smile, bowed 90 degrees and greeted her, “Annyeonghashimnikka.”

 

The door clicked as it closed, causing Eunji to jump. Noticing how tense Eunji was, Seungho held her hand to calm her down.

 

The woman noticed their stiffness, so she started talking to them. “I-Is there something wrong?” she asked in a very soft voice.

 

Seungho's eyes widen a bit as he responded, “Oh, no ma'am there's nothing wrong! Thank you for letting us into your house.” then Seungho made another 45 degree bow.

 

The woman, who felt quite relieved by the young man's politeness, took out a deep sigh to relieve her anxiousness.

 

She looked at them and gave them a smile. “There are wild boars and jackals roaming around this area at night... I guess it'll be best for the two of you to stay here for the night...” her voice was calm and sweet.

 

I see..Thank you very much for your hospitality ma'am...: Seungho said in a graceful manner, then he did another 45 degree bow. Noticing thru his peripheral view that Eunji was just staring, he nudged her forearm. Eunji got startled and bowed as well, “Uh, n-neh, kamsahamnida.” she tried to sound as calm as possible. The woman giggled at the sight of the polite couple. Seungho looked up at the amused woman and smiled.

 

Suddenly, a little boy, probably 7 years old, ran towards the lady and gave her a hug in the back. The boy hid his body behind the woman, and peeked at the guests.

 

The woman looked at the little boy, and gave him a pat on the head, then she looked at the couple. “We're in the middle of dinner as of the moment. Would you like to join us?”

 

Too embarrassed to refuse, they looked at each other first before responding in unison, “Uh, neh.”

 

The woman led them to the dinner table as she half-dragged the kid, who was hugging her very tightly. “Shhh..c'mon Kiri, we have guests.” She whispered to the boy. The boy looked up to her and nodded with a big smile. He let go of the woman then ran to his seat.

 

Kiri was looking at the couple as they sat, when Seungho caught his eyes and smiled at him. Kiri got embarassed and looked down to his food.

 

Just then, the woman joined them in the table with two bowls and 2 pairs of spoon and chopsticks at hand. “The stores in town opens up early in the morning. You could go then.” She said as she set the bowls and utensils for Seungho and Eunji.

 

They were eating quietly, when the boy suddenly tapped the woman's forearm then frowned.

 

“What's wrong?” the woman asked with a worried tone.

 

The boy looked at his bowl of pork, then looked back at his mom while pouting with puppy dog eyes. The mom smiled as she figured out his son's complain. She grabbed her steak knife and started cutting small portions of the meat. Kiri giggled as he looked at his mom. The woman gave her a sweet smile in return.

 

Seungho cannot help but watch the mother and son. He smiled as he felt the warmness filling up the room. He felt the tears b up, so he looked back at what he was eating.

 

 

 

After the quiet dinner, Eunji helped the woman in cleaning up the dishes, while Seungho cleaned the table with Kiri. Kiri brought the plates to her mom. The woman smiled at the angelic looking boy as he smiled, then patted his head and then made a certain hand gesture. The boy just giggled, then ran away to the lounge and sat near the fireplace. The woman looked at Eunji and smiled, “He's been mute since birth.” Eunji just stood there, listening to the mom; at the same time, Seungho was listening from behind while cleaning the table. “So he tries to be expressive of his feelings most of the time.” Eunji was speechless. She just gave the woman a smile, then went back to cleaning the dishes.

 

 

 

 

Everyone was gathered in front of the fireplace, warming themselves in the cold night. Seungho and Eunji watched as the mother and son played a game. They giggled and tickled each other, obviously having so much fun among themselves. Suddenly, the boy looked at the guests and felt embarasssed, so he burried his head to his mothers' chest, with one eye peeking at the guests. Seungho gestured for the boy to come closer to him. With hesitation, the boy did. Seungho pulled out a coin from his pocket and showed a coin trick to Kiri. Kiri was ecstatic and gestured for him to do more. Without second thoughts, Seungho did all the possible magic tricks he can that made Kiri giggle a lot. 

 

It wasn't long until Kiri started rubbing his eyes. Seungho smiled as he noticed the boy's exhaustion. He patted Kiri's head then he looked at the woman. The woman understood Seungho's gestures, and so she approached Kiri and carried him. 

 

I think were going off to bed now. I already prepared the room for the two of you,” the woman pointed at the room she was referring to, “You could go to bed if you like” 

 

Kamsahamnida ma'am.” Seungho replied. And so the four of them went to their rooms to sleep. 

 

 

 

_________________________

The room was small and warm, with two separate mattresses inside. Seungho, who was standing in front of Eunji, heard Eunji sigh and mumble, “Thank goodness”. 

 

Seungho looked at her and gave her a “what-the-heck' look. 

 

What?! You're still a man, aren't you?” She gave him a smirk and started marching towards the mattress of her choice. 

 

Seungho chuckled as he shook his head in disbelief. “That's so low, even for you.” 

 

Eunji just gave a sarcastic smile as she pull up the sheets to cover her body. 

 

For your information, I AM NOT THAT KIND OF MAN.” He raised his brows as he smiled at Eunji. Without waiting for Eunji's response, he just turned off the lights and went to bed. He stared at the ceiling as he tried to get some sleep.

 

I didn't know you were a part time magician.” Eunji teased as both of them lay down in the darkness. 

 

Well, its my hidden talent. Let's just keep that between the two of us.” 

 

Eunji just giggled. Then silence.

 

 

 

 

chapter9dot1.jpg

Seungho has been lying down for quite some time, but he still can't sleep. The warmness of the woman and Kiri's relationship still kindled in his heart, that made him quite uneasy. 

 

He turned to see if Eunji was awake, but her soft snores confirmed her trip to dreamland. So Seungho carefully got off bed and went outside the house, making as little noise as possible so as not to wake the others. 

 

He stood in the porch and leaned his body in the post. He tilted his head towards the sky, adoring the vast sky enlightened by stars and the full moon. 

 

Suddenly, a tear flowed out of his left eye. 

 

Umma, I miss you so much. ..” he thought of the image of his mother as he smiled. 

 

Suddenly, the image of their family picture came into his mind. Just then, he looked down as his smile faded. 

 

...I haven't talked to dad ever since he left...

 

I just..I just didn't want him in our lives anymore...” 

 

He stopped as he found himself having a difficulty in breathing due to his intense emotions. 

 

He tried mom, but I just cannot let him in like that... He left us... he left us during the time we needed him the most.” 

 

He tried to make his sobs discreet, so as not to bother those who are sleeping...

 

He took a deep breathe and sighed, then looked back to the sky. ”So it's just you and me.” 

 

It wasn't long until his smile was back on his face as his fond memories of his mom came to mind. 

 

I love you mom. I miss you so much.” 

 

A tear dropped from his left eye as he continued to savor the moment.

 

 

 

Little did he know that Eunji was just seated behind the door, listening to what he just said.

 

 

 

_________________________________

Around 6:30 a.m. the following day, they said their good byes and thanked the mother and son for their genuine hospitality. 

 

Seungho kneeled before Kiri and handed the 'magic' coin to him. Kiri gave him a big smile and hugged him tight. 

 

Seungho hugged Kiri back, savoring each moment of that innocent warmness surrounding him. 

 

Not long after, Seungho stood up, patted Kiri's head, then walked towards back to the Eunji who was standing in the porch already. Eunji and Seungho gave a 45 degree bow to the mother and son before heading to the their destination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________

Hi subscribers and readers! Sorry it took me a while to update... (@.@) We had tons of school requirements for the past week, so I was quite busy (*.*)
Anyway, sorry for a short and boring chap :( 
I'm kinda rushing to finish this fic to work on a new one...So I hope you guys stay put!