Dim

Live Life

 

 

Seungho was staring at Eunji with a baffled look. Eunji gave him a big smile in response, tears welling up in her eyes. She did not waste any second and approached Seungho, but Seungho coughed when he tried to move his head as he was gagged by the tube inserted in his mouthprompting Eunji to call the doctor for help. 

 

"Well, everything seems to be fine at the moment. His vitals are stable, but his body is still recovering so we have to keep him in the ICU for some time.. I'll have to talk to him regarding an important matter as well."

 

Eunji wasn't focusing much on what the doctor was saying. Her eyes were fixed on Seungho, as the nurse helped him put on his oxygen mask. He was still very weak, from the way he moves. But it doesn't matter for Eunji; the important thing is he's awake. She just can't keep herself from smiling knowing that he is a step towards his recovery. Seungho...the thought of him  When the doctor left, Eunji walked towards Seungho with a big smile. Seungho gave her a weak smile in return. She sat in his bed and started to brush his hair up with her hand.

 

"You've been gone for quite a while, you know? I thought we lost you...." tears were rushing down her cheeks but she kept a smile on her face.

 

He looked at her, eyes still half-opened, reached for her cheeks and wiped off her tears.

 

"T-thank you..." his voice was very faint but audible.

 

"I'lll tell you the details later. You'll have to rest for now."

 

He smiled as he nodded. Loosing himself to his exhaustion, he let his heavy eyelids close.

 

She watched as is his chest moved up and down...giving her an assurance that he'll be fine for now... at least. When she noticed that he's in a deep sleep, she stood up, grabbed her things and left.

 

 

 

 

 

It's been a week since the accident, but Seungho was still in a bad shape. Eunji had to get some of Seungho's stuff in his apartment, leaving Seungho alone in the hospital. He was about to get some nap when the doctor came in, browsing thru Seungho's chart as he walked.

 

"Hi Mr. Yang. You must be hurting a lot right now," the doctor had a poker face on.

 

"Yeah...my whole body feels like-"

 

"I mean your head..."

 

"Yes doctor, with the stitches and all it sure hurts a l-"

 

"Yes right, not just the wounds and stitches. There must be something else..."

 

Seungho paused for a bit, not sure on how he'll respond.

 

"I'll go straight to the point Mr. Yang. We've run some tests before and after the operation, and we found a mass in your brain. MRI and biopsy results showed that it is Brain Cancer. ..We'll need a-"

 

"Wait, what? Brain Cancer?"

 

"Yes Mr. Yang. It's Brain Cancer"

 

The doctor remained silent for a minute, allowing Seungho to have a leg room for his thoughts.

 

"Is there anyone from your family who had cancer?"

 

"My mom died of cancer 4 years ago."

 

"That's probably one of the reasons, including other environmental factor like-"

 

"How long I'm gonna live?"

 

"Based on the biopsy, its Grade 2. The tumor is growing at a slow pace right now, but it can affect other tissues in your body later or worse it can develop into a high-grade tumor. For now, our options are chemo or radiation therapy."

 

Seungho remained silent, trying to digest what the doctor said.

 

"I'll just give you time to weigh your options. I cannot promise you anything, but surely we can work things out to make your life better."

 

Seungho forced himself to smile at the doctor's encouragement.

 

"Is there anyone we can call for you? Your family perhaps?"

 

"No, thank you. I'll have to deal with this myself first."

 

"Ok then, just let me know when you come up with your decision." The doctor tapped Seungho's shoulder before he left the room.

 

Seungho fixed his eyes at the ceiling, not sure how to respond. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1Due to the artificial respirator.