Crash

Live Life

 

The celebration was crazy: lots of food, liquor, dancing,...the works. Everybody in the team had a blast, except from Seungho whose exhaustion is too evident to ignore. So he took off early so as not to spoil the mood.

 

 

He was driving in an almost empty highway when he felt a sudden and sharp headache that made him cringe. He thought it was just another migraine episode. The pain crept towards his forehead then it intensified. He was trying to ignore it, thinking that it will disappear in just a while. He tried to concentrate on his driving, for he was still 20 minutes away from his apartment. But again the pain intensified making him cringe more and loose grip on the steering wheel. He tried to reach for his pills, but its nowhere near his grasp. After 10 excruciating minutes his vision started to blur. He tried to shake his head several times, but his vision won't adjust. His headache was getting more intense, that made his driving more difficult. He felt his arms slowly weakening, so he tried to shake it up a bit. He was too preoccupied in managing the pain that he didn't notice that he was swerving already.

 

 

"Aaah!"

 

 

His head suddenly throbbed, making him steer the wheel to the left. Suddenly, a bright light blinded him, and the next thing he heard was a loud bang. He felt his head and body swaying viciously until his head hit the door window. Right then he out.

 

 

 

 

 

Eunji was dying to have some sleep, so she decided to go home early. She noticed that Seungho was not around, so she just just bid farewell to her teammates who were still going crazy dancing and drinking.

 

 

On the highway, she noticed that the car in front of her was swerving uncontrollably as if the driver was out of his mind. Pissed at the sight, she mumbled: “Stupid driver! He's probably drunk...” Suddenly, she saw a speeding truck flashing blindngly-bright lights to the swerving car. The next thing she knew, the truck rammed unto the swerving car's right side dragging the car for a few meters until it finally stopped. Eunji immediately stopped her car, avoiding the collision.

 

 

Her heart was beating so fast as if it was about to jump out of her chest. She knew she had to do something, but her body is just too numb to move. So she shook her head, took a deep breath and opened the door. As she was stepping out, she saw the driver of the truck running away from the scene. She tried to call his attention, but he didn't look back.

 

 

She reverted her gaze back to the crime scene. She slowly walked towards the wreckage, inspecting the victim's car which looked hauntingly familiar. She peeked in the driver's seat and saw a head smashed against the heavily cracked window, blood bathing the glass and the victim's head. Still in shock, she walked closer towards the car and rammed the door open. A lifeless-looking body sprawled in front of her, which she managed to catch before hitting the ground. Her eyes widened at the man before him,

 

 

'Oh my god! Seungho! Yah!' She shouted furiously while shaking his shoulders lightly.

 

 

With hands shaking, she took her phone out of her pocket and called 119, "A-a man....got into an accident in ____....p-please hurry! I think...i think he's dead....” Her voice was trembling from fear and shock.

 

 

She meticulously inspected Seungho, observing for any signs of life...but there was none. She dragged him away from the wreckage, then placed his head on her lap and continued to look for any indications that he's alive. Half of his face and head was covered with blood, that she barely recognized his features. No air was coming out of his nostrills. His carotid pulse1 was too weak that she barely recognized it. 

 

 

She started to shake his body lightly,

 

 

'S-Seungho....Seungho-ah...come on....'

 

 

but he didn't budge.

 

 

After a grueling 5 minutes, the ambulance and police came. She felt as if years passed before help arrived, watching seungho bleeding to death and slowly dying in front of her...

 

 

 

 

 

1carotid pulse: pulse palpated in the neck area.