Revelation

Live Life

 

 

 

 

Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal.”

C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's been two weeks after the incident with Seungho...

 

'Don't meddle with my business.' His words, his cold and harsh tone, and the look in his eyes were still fresh in Eunji's memory as if it just happened yesterday. The sharp pain in her heart still lingers whenever she remembers his words.

 

But despite that painful event, Eunji cannot help but worry for Seungho. After that night, she never saw Seungho again. It's been two weeks, and he's still nowhere to be found. He didn't report to work, neither did anyone in the office knew where he was.

 

She played with the pencil in her desk while staring at Seungho's office door, going thru her options for her opening statement thoroughly in case she gets enough patience and heart to call Seungho. She was in that moment again when she wanted to call Seungho, which was triggered by her boss asking her about his whereabouts. Eunji wanted to call him several times; but whenever she tried to dial his number, his words that night replays in her head. She is reminded not only of his harsh words, but also his unforgiving character; and that would be enough to discourage her from calling him.

 

Eunji took another sip of her coffee, hoping that the coffee wil give her enough courage to even dial his number. She was silently running thoughts thru her head when she heard a growing commotion in the other cubicles. She stood up and, to her surprise, she saw Seungho greeting their officemates with a bright smile in his face.

 

He's back. Eunji let out a wide smile, unable to hide her happiness upon seeing Seungho looking bright and well. Seungho was about to turn into her direction, and so Eunji shrunk her head back and hid herself in her desk. She started up her computer, and pretended to work on something.

 

I can't...I won't talk to him for now...What if he ignores me? Or worse, what if he dismiss me? She burrowed her face in her hands and sighed. Aaaagh!

 

When she opened her eyes, she saw Seungho busying himself in his office while sorting out his documents. Eunji just sighed at the sight of him, who seems unbothered by her existence, then went back to what she should actually be doing.

_________________________

 

 

From his peripheral view, Seungho saw Minji peeking while he walked down the corridors after his 'grand entrance'; but he just ignored her and continued to greet his officemates who kept on throwing questions/comments at him, 'It's been a while sir, what happened?' 'What happened to you sir?' 'Glad to have you back sir!'.

 

He walked past Eunji's cubicle without a word, as if that space in the office did not exist. He went straight to his office and worked on his reports.

 

_________________________

 

 

 

The day went by quickly, and the day was almost over. But Seungho and Eunji still hasn't spoken a word to each other.

 

Seungho could not muster up the courage to talk to Eunji after what happened. Her meddling with his business is just unforgivable. His pride was hurt, and he wouldn't give in. Eunji had no plans to give way either.

 

Seungho was about to leave his office when one of ho=is co-workers knocked and gave him an invitation. Its an invitation for that employee's birthday celebration at his house, and he insisted for Seungho to come. Seungho was heistant at first, because the celebration would be the day after his chemotherapy; but because he didn't want to humiliate his co-worker by turning him down, Seungho just agreed to come.

_________________________

 

 

A week went by, and still no exchange of words between Seungho and Eunji.

 

Whenever there are tasks that require Eunji to talk to Seungho, she'll ask a co-worker to do it for her.

 

Seungho did not dare approach Eunji either.

 

Before they knew it, it was their co-workers birthday celebration already.

 

It was a backyard party, and everyone from their department came: around 20 people in total. Everyone was enjoying the late afternoon party already, including Eunji who was having a blast singing in the karaoke and chatting with her co-workers. She was very grateful that Seungho hasn't arrive yet, or else she wouldn't enjoy the party.

 

Everyone were going crazy over the karaoke, when Seungho arrived. Everyone stood up and greeted their team leader, except for Eunji who did not even dare look at Seungho and just stood there watching them. Seungho, sensing Eunji's unwillingness to interact with him, passed by Eunji and sat away from her.

 

The crazy party went on, and everyone just let out themselves as they enjoy themselves out. Everyone was so into partying, that no one noticed Eunji and Seungho's awkwardness towards each other.

 

It was just a few a hours when Seungho arrived, but he wasa starting feel his headache creeping in already. It may be his few shots of vodka, or his singing a high note...But what he's certain is that this headache is about to give him a hard time. He sat for a while and watched his co-workers have fun, while he rested his body a bit, hoping that his headache would subside. Eventually, one of the co-workers, started smoking,, which made Seungho's head worst. When he noticed that he bowl of chips was empty, Seungho volunteered himself to refill the bowl. He went to the kitchen, not noticing that Eunji was looking at him.

 

Every step towards the kitchen seems to make his headache worse. As if his headache was not enough, a very sharp pain emanated from Seungho's abdomen which made him stop from his steps. He froze a bit in front of the kitchen door, trying to calm himself and his pain down before he continues walking, or he'll collapse. Once the pain subsided a bit, he made his way towards the kitchen counter and placed the bowl in the counter.

 

He leaned on the counter, trying to take control over himself. But the pain on both his head and his abdomen just seem to get worst. He tried to walk towards the faucet to drink, his body leaning onto the counter for support. But when he took a step forward, a wave of intense pain hovered over him which made him loose himself, knocking him unconscious.

_________________________

 

 

Its's been 20 minutes since Seungho entered the kitchen, and everyone was starting to look for him. But Eunji just ignored. She felt the need to pee, so she decided to go inside the house, entering through the kitchen door on her way to the restroom.

 

When she entered, she noticed that the bowl which Seungho brought in was still empty. She approached the counter eyes wandering around the kitchen looking for the bag of chips to refill the bowl. Walking behind the counter, she stepped on something making her shift her eyes on the floor. To her surprise, she saw a hand. Her gaze went up inch by inch, until her eyes met a shocking view. Her eyes grew wide at the sight in front of her: Seungho lying lifeless on the ground, severely pale and had blood running from his nose.

 

Eunji immediately sat down on the floor and pulled Seungho's lifeless body on her lap.

 

“Yah, Seungho! Yang Seungho!” Her screams were so loud, it can was heard outside the house despite the karaoke.

 

She shook Seungho's body, but he didn't respond. “Yah! Seungho! YAH!” She tried to call him louder, but, still, no response.

 

Her shouting caught the attention of some of her co-workers, making them rush towards the kitchen. Their co-workers gasped at the sight of Seungho's lifeless body and Eunji in a crying mess. Two of their co-workers immediately carried Seungho to the car and, accompanied by Eunji, rushed him to the hospital.

 

_________________________

 

 

 

 

At the hospital, Seungho was immediately attended by the medical staff. Eventually, a doctor appeared, who looked familiar to Eunji.

 

That's Seungho's doctor during the accident, she thought.

 

Eunji and her 2 co-workers watched as the medical staff and the doctor attended to Seungho. Because the area was getting crowded, one of the nurses approached Eunji and her companions and led them to the waiting area. The other co-workers who was with Eunji asked permission to leave first because they had to clean up the mess back at the party first, and promised to come back after they're done. Eunji agreed, thus leaving her alone in the waiting.

 

After 1 nerve-wracking hour, Seungho's doctor approached her and started explaining.

 

 

“Are you family?” the doctor asked Eunji, the doctor looking straight into her eyes.

 

“Uhm, no...I'm his...his friend...” Eunji replied with a shaky voice out of nervousness. 

 

“Is there a way for you to contact them? We have some important matters that we have to discuss with them.” the doctor's voice was stern and gave out a hint of urgency.

 

“Uh, uhm...I don't have his family's contact details..Neither does the office...I'm not sure how to contact them right now actually...” Eunji's voice was trailing off already, her nervousness trying to eat her voice out. 

 

“I see..." The doctor shifted his eyes to the chart he was holding, then asked: "Did he happen to drink liquor earlier?”

 

“Uh, I think he had 3 shots of vodka...What's wrong doctor?” Eunji was getting more anxious.

 

The doctor shook his head and sighed, disappoinment written all over his face. “Tsk! This kid...Well you see, his liver is in pretty bad shape. It already got wounded 2 weeks ago when he got stabbed an-"

 

“Stabbed?” Eunji got surprised with the revelation.

 

“Yes. Two weeks ago, he got robbed and stabbed that almost took his life.” 

 

So that's why he was missing for 2 weeks, she thought. Eunji just stared at the doctor as he continued to explain.

 

"The knife lacerated a small portion his liver, but we were able to patch him up. And because the damage was only small and given his 2-week recovery period, we decided to proced with his chemotherapy yesterday ho-"

 

"Chemotherapy?" Eunji mumbled out of confusion.

 

"Yes, chemotherapy...For his brain cancer....Didn't he tell you?" The doctor gave her a confused look.

 

“Brain...cancer?” Eunji gasped at the revelation, putting her hand in in shock. 

 

The doctor nodded. After realizing that his patient was being secretive about his condition, the doctor sighed out of frustration of revealing that 'big news' to his patient's friend. Nevertheless, he continued to explain the details to Eunji who was Seungho's only representative at the moment. “He has stage 2 Brain Cancer. He has been undergoing chemotherapy for the past 4 months, and unfortunately he's been having a very slow progress. Despite his liver injury, we had to risk another chemotherapy session yesterday, because his tumor might change its growth habit that may eventually lead to the fast deterioration. As a precaution, I told him to take a lot of rest after and to lay off the liquor, or else his body, especially his liver, might be too overwhelemed... Unfortunately, he did not heed my advice, so, here we are." The doctor sighed in his disappointment.

 

Eunji's knees went weak at the revelation, so she dragged her body to sit for a while as she digested everything the doctor told her. 

 

Brain cancer? Stage 2?

 

 

"I'm sorry you had to find it out this way." The doctor patted Eunji's shoulder to ease her out. Eunji just looked at him and smiled before she stood up again.

 

"So what are we going to do with him now?" Eunji asked, tears staining her cheeks. 

 

"He'll be in the ICU for a while for observation. We'll give him antidote for the liver toxicity, and then we'll see how his body responds after that." 

 

Eunji smiled then bowed to the doctor. "Thank you doctor."

 

"You can go see him now. The nurse will acompany you to his room."

 

_________________________

 

 

 

 

Eunji's heart sank as she looked through the glass window, seeing Seungho at that very weak state. He was hooked to different apparatus, his pale face grimacing a bit in pain even while he's asleep. Eunji could not help but pity him at his condition, suffering a deadly disease on his own. Eunji felt tears escape her eyes, which she immediately wiped away. She stood there for several minutes, just observing him, until her phone rang. Her co-workers told her that Seungho left some of his stuff at their co-workers house. Eunji decided to pick up Seungho's things, and to get some things for herself as well...

 

I guess I'll be staying here for a while again. she thought. 

 

It was late night already, and the ICU would not allow her to visit Seungho if she comes back after she picks up her things. So she decided to sleep at her house that night, and return early the following morning. 

_________________________

 

 

 

It's just 6 a.m., but Eunji was all packed up and ready to go to the hospital. She wanted to be there in case anything happened to Seungho, and so she set out early.

 

She was walking past the Nurse's Station when she heared a male voice say 'Yang Seungho'. She stopped and looked back to see who that person was.

 

It was an old man, probably in his late 50's or 60's, who looked like an executive in his white polo shirt, black slacks and leather shoes. 

 

 

Eunji approached the man and, in a soft voice, asked him: "Are you looking for Yang Seungho?"

 

The man shifted his gaze to Eunji, "yes, yes I am. Do you know him?" The man's voice was soothing and calm.

 

"Yes, I am. I'm acyually on my way to his room now. Let me accompany you to him." Eunji gave the old man a smile, making the old man brighten up.

 

"Thank you very much." the man said with a bright smile on his face.

 

It was a quiet walk towards Seungho's room, for Eunji was too nervous to talk to the old man. She thought this man is probably a friend or somethin, so she just accompanied him.

 

To her surprise, Seungho was not in his bed when they got in. She heard the sound of drops of water from the shower in the restroom, so she walked towards the restroom to see if Seungho is there, the old man following behind her. 

 

When she opened the door, she gasped in surprise when she saw Seungho sitting on the ground drenched in hospital clothes, banging his head on the shower wall as he tried to muffle his sobs with his hands on his mouth.

 

She was about to run towards him when she felt strong hands shove her behind: it was the old man, who stepped forward and was about to approach Seungho.

 

Seungho froze when he saw the man in front of him...

 

"Wh-what are you..doing..here?" his voice was soft and strained, his face gave out a pained and quizical look as he pinned his eyes to the old man....