Rolling in the Deep

Live Life

 

It was another stressful day at work, and Eunji was getting sick with the truckload of paperwork she has to finish by the end of the week. She decided to step out of the office for a while and visit her favorite diner that is just 10 minutes from their office.


 

Without second thoughts, she drove to diner for a well-deserved meal. She ordered her all-time favorite meal: grilled honey-glazed chicken and salad plate served with home blend iced tea. She sat on a table for two by the window as she waited for her lunch to be served. She took out her favorite book, plugged in her headphones streaming with some Mantovani, then indulged herself into the adventures in the chapters of the book.


 

Suddenly, she felt someone walk closer to her. She lifted her head to see if her order arrived; but instead she saw Seungho sitting opposite her, looking at her with a wide smile on his face.


 

“Omo!” Eunji got startled by his presence and clenched on her chest. “God! You scared me!”


 

Seungho chuckled.


 

They were temporarily distracted by the waiter serving their orders...


 

“You love their grilled chicken and salad too?!” Seungho said, with face lighting up with excitement due to the coincidental event.


 

“Yeah...This is my comfort food actually...” Eunji replied with a smile.


 

“Ha! What a coincidence...” Seungho mumbled.

 

"You come here often?" Eunji asked looking at Seungho who was looking at his food like ac hild excited to eat his chocolate.

 

“Not really, just when I wanted to relax and reminisce.” Seungho didn't even looked at Eunji as he divulge on his food.

 

Eunji smiled at the sight of Seungho's cheeks bulging out of food as he chewed. Seungho heard her giggle, looked up and gave her a baffled look. “What?!!” he remarked, still with his mouth full.


 

“You look like you haven't eaten for a month!” Eunji bursted out in laughter.


 

Seungho just smiled and looked down in embarassment, “I get that a lot.”


 

Eunji continued to stare at Seungho as he gobble up his food. It entertains her a lot seeing this man, whom she always saw as poised and composed as all gentlemen are, hovering over his plate. She thought of how amazing it is that he is slowly becoming spontaneous in front of her. We surely came a long way, didn't we? She thought. They've only been friends for 7 months, and yet this man in front of him doesn't mind showing this side of him to her. Eunji felt relieved and satisfied at the thought of their improving friendship. She smiled and continued eating.


 

Suddenly, Eunji felt someone stood beside the table. She looked up and saw a woman, about their age, sobbing as she looked at Seungho. She looked at Seungho, and saw him looking at the sobbing woman in her face before going back to eating his food. Eunji got confused with what was happening, but she didn't dare to speak. She stared at them quietly, waiting for their next move. Suddenly...


 

“Seungho-ah...” The woman's voice was soft as she desperately pleaded for Seungho's attention.


 

But Seungho didn't respond and just continued eating.


 

“Seungho...Please...” The woman kept sobbing as she pleaded. She held Seungho's forearm and continued to stare at him, tears streaming down her cheeks. This stopped Seungho, but he didn't look at the woman.


 

“S-Seungho...Please...L-Let's talk...” The woman is having difficulty speaking already, overwhelemed by her emotions.


 

But Seungho didn't bother to look. He turned his head to the glass window instead.


 

Eunji knew they needed privacy. She was about to stand up when Seungho grabbed her arm and said in a deep voice, “Don't...Stay here.”


 

Eunji got surprised by Seungho's angry tone. She even felt his hands trembling as he held her arm. She didn't want to provoke his anger further, and so she complied. Eunji then looked at the woman, and was surprised their eyes met. The woman gave her puppy dog eyes, as if pleading for Eunji to help her into convincing Seungho to talk to her. Eunji smiled a little and nodded.


 

She held Seungho's forearm, and looked in his eyes. With just a pleading look in her eyes, she tried to coax Seungho into talking to the woman...She didn't want to say anything that could provoke Seungho's anger further. But Seungho just glared at Eunji's actions, then looked back to the glass window conveying his utmost refusal to talk.


 

Seeing Seungho's gestures, the sobbing woman kneeled before Seungho and wailed, “Please Seungho...Let's just talk for a while...Please...I am really sorry...I've changed...” The woman kept tugging on Seungho's forearm as she wailed loudly.


 

Seungho glared at the woman before looking at Eunji. “Can I borrow your car for a while?”


 

Eunji handed her keys to Seungho without hesitation. Seungho pulled the sobbing woman up to her feet, then dragged her out the diner to Eunji's car. Eunji watched from the glass window as Seungho shoved the woman inside the car then marched to the driver's seat. Eunji's windows are heavily tinted, so she cannot see what was happening inside. She had a lot of questions in mind; she didn't know who the girl was nor what happened between the two of them. She knew better than to ask her furious friend. She let out a deep sigh to ease out all her tensions and to clear up her mind. 'I guess all I can do is wait,' She thought while looking at her car, hoping that things would work out for the girl and Seungho.


 

It wasn't long when Seungho stepped out of the car, opened up the door in the passenger's seat and pulled the woman out of the car. The woman was still crying hard, her face burried in her palms as she stood still by the car. Seungho wasn't paying attention on he; he just kept his head down as he leaned on the car door. Suddenly, the woman looked up then turned to Seungho and gave him another look. But Seungho kept his eyes glued to the road. The woman wiped her face, and let out a deep sigh before she called a taxi. Sensing that the woman left, Seungho closed the car door, then went back to the driver's seat.


 

Eunji just kept staring at the glass window, not sure of what to do. Suddenly, her phone rang...It was Seungho.


 

“Aren't we going back?” His voice was calm yet firm.


 

“Oh, n-neh...” Eunji was taken aback, not sure how to respond.


 

She walked back to the car and sat in the passenger's seat. She put on her seatbelt as Seungho started the car. Eunji kept silent. She just let Seungho do as he pleased. She knew better than to talk to a furious man.


 

Seungho hasn't even drove 500 meters when suddenly...


 

“Ugh~” Seungho winced and clutched his temples with his left hand. He pulled the steering wheel a bit to the left that made them shift..


 

“Seungho!” Eunji remarked, startling Seungho and taking his attention back to the road. He immediately swerved back to their lane, then clutched on his temples again as he tried to take control of the steering wheel.


 

“Please stop the car.” Eunji pleaded with a soft voice. Seungho, still masaging his left temple with his left hand, complied immediately as told. Once the car is parked, Eunji Seungho's back as she talked to him, “Hey, let me drive you to your place, ok?” Seungho just nodded as he grimaced in pain. Eunji got out of the car, went to the driver's seat, and assisted Seungho to the passenger's seat.


 

Seungho slumped his body to the car seat as he clutched his temples. “Do you have any pain killers with you?” Seungho shook his head. Eunji was getting worried by the minute, seeing Seungho grimacing in pain. She could only watch as he struggled to relieve himself.  “We're almost there, just hang on.” Eunji said softly as she glanced worriedly at Seungho.


 

The car almost flew to Seungho's apartment. When she parked the car in front of the building, she noticed that Seungho was already asleep with face still grimacing.


 

She gently shook his shoulders to wake him up as she whispered, “Seungho...were here...”


 

“Uugh..” Seungho moaned as he struggled to open his eyes. With his right hand, he clung unto his forehead with eyes still closed, as if trying to keep himself together. After a good 30 seconds, he sat straight, sighed, then looked at Eunji with a smile.


 

“Sorry for what happened earlier. And thank you for the ride. Just tell the manager I got sick.” his smile was strained as he spoke.


 

“Uh, yeah, its no big deal. Can you manage?” Eunji's face and voice was teeming with worry for Seungho.


 

Seungho tried to put up a good smile for her as he responded, “Of course, no need to worry. Thank you.” He gave her a big smile as he stepped out.


 

Eunji watched as Seungho marched towards the building. Halfway through the entrance, she noticed Seungho wobble and almost fell. She stepped out of the car and ran towards Seungho.


 

“Seungho!' she shouted as she ran towards Seungho, who is now bending to his back and holding on his knees with his left hand clutching his forehead. Eunji held Seungho's shoulders and assisted him up.


 

“Do you need to go to the hospital?”


 

Seungho shook his head.


 

“Let me just take yo to your apartment, ok?”


 

Seungho just nodded in response.


 

Eunji's embrace tightened as she led Seungho to thru the hallway. Thoughts were running through her mind as she thought of various reasons on why he was having a terrible headache. She didn't want to bother Seungho with her questions, so she just kept silent as she assisted him.


 

Once they reached his unit, Seungho punched in his security key and opened the door. Without any words, he marched inside his apartment. Eunji stood outside he door and watched. Suddenly, Seungho stopped what he was doing and looked at her, “Aren't you going in?” Eunji shook her head said, “I should be heading back to the of-”


 

“Agh~!” Seungho flinched and held on his temples as another wave of mind-blowing pain hit him.


 

“Seungho-ah!” Eunji ran to him and held his shoulders so that he wouldn't loose his balance. “Let me get you to bed, huh?” Eunji asked softly. Seungho just nodded.


 

Eunji lay Seunho to his bed, removed his shoes and socks, removed his tie, his shirt, and cover him with a blanket. He touched his forehead, and verified that he didn't have fever. He sat beside him and looked at him, as he kept his closed as he grimaced. With a soft voice, she asked, “Do you need anything? Where's your medicine?” Seungho just growled in response. Seeing that he needed to sleep, she stood up and walked out.


 

She was lost in her thoughts as she walked that she didn't notice a cabinet in front of her, bumping into it hard and loud. The impact was so strong that the box on top of the cabinet fell. Good thing the box didn't hit her head. She turned to check if Seungho was awaken; but good thing he didn't. She sat on the floor and fixed the stuff that fell from the box. There were journals, dried flowers, a small teddy bear, and letters in it. She didn't dare open any of them for she didn't want to get caught by Seungho looking thru his stuff. As she hurriedly put the things back, a picture fell from one of the letters.

 

It was Seungho and the woman from the diner.

 

They looked quite young and very happy in the picture, with big smiles on their faces. The woman's left hand is securely sandwiched in Seungho's hands while her right hand was resting on Seungho's chest with a diamond ring on her ring finger. She looked at the back of the photo and saw something written on it,

 

“Seungho and Hyewon's forever starts today :) - June 2007”

 

Eunji sighed as she looked back at the photo again, then she looked at Seungho who was still sleeping. Although Eunji was curious about what happened between them, she knows that she cannot ask anything about it, especially after seeing what happened during lunch. She let out a big sigh as she placed the picture back to the box.


 

She walked out of Seungho's room and carefully closed the door. She leaned on the door for a while as she thought, Man, this guy is more mysterious than I thought. She suddenly had the urge to get to know him more, but she knows she had to wait for Seungho to open up himself to her. She sighed at thought that she just had to wait for things to unveil itself.


 

She took out her phone and called their office to report that Seungho was sick and couldn't make it to the office that afternoon, and that she 'accidentaly' found him an is now taking care of him so she can't go back either. I think I'm back on patient duty this afternoon, she thought as she sat on the couch in the living room.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________

Seungho and his broken heart...(@.@)