I Promise

Knightingale

 

 I cursed out loud and ran out of the apartment and into the hallway. I saw a sign at the end of the hall that read "Rooftop" and followed it up an impossibly long flight of spiral stairs, panicking at he thought of a brokenhearted Eunhyuk preparing to throw himself from the roof. I finally emerged from the staircase, the cold night wind hitting me like a brick wall. There, at the edge of the roof, leaning against the balcony was Eunhyuk. "STOP!" I screamed. His head whipped around to reveal his tear stained face.
 "H-how did you know I would be here?" He sniffed, trying to conceal his tears with his sleeves. I ran towards him, breathing heavily.
 "Hai-D told me. Look, Eunhyuk this isn't the answer. Don't make a permanantly stupid solution to a temporary problem." I cried, my own face streaked with tears of fear.
 "M-mwo?" he furrowed his thick, defined eyebrows in confusion. "What are you talking about?" 
 "Well, I..I thought...I thought you were gonna kill yourself." I panted.
 "Why would I do that?" he asked, still unsure of what I was talking about.
 "Because, the roses, the picture, Donghae, your depression!" I yelled in frustration. He physically winced at each word, like they were knives. His already wet eyes filled up with more tears. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you." I sighed, hugging his shivering shoulders. He didn't move, he just stood perfectly still as I held him. "What happened with Donghae?" I asked, pulling away. He took a deep sigh and wiped away more tears from his eyes.
 "We broke up, he said I didn't love him anymore. How could he say that?" Eunhyuk sniffled through a thick voice. 
 "I'm so sorry. I know how you feel." I comforted him, rubbing his shoulder sympathetically.
 "No, no you don't. Look, the truth is... I'm not actually gay. I'm not even bi." he explained through heavy breaths.
 "Then why were you dating Donghae?" I said, now it was my turn to be confused.
 "Donghae and I have been best friends since we first met in college. He was the only gay guy in class, and everyone else picked on him. I stood up for him one day when some guys were bullying him and they automatically started teasing me too, saying that I was his gay lover. I didn't feel that way about him at all, but just to spite those guys, I said 'Yeah, so what if I am?'. Well it worked. They backed off, along with the rest of the class. But Donghae really took what I had said to heart, and I didn't want to put him down again by rejecting him, so I went along with it. To me, he was my best friend in the entire world. To him, I was a lot more than just that. I thought about just letting him down gently, but then I realized that he really did love me. I had never felt that before, you know? No one had ever once said to me, 'I love you.'. So, out of pity for him and longing for love for me, I kept with it. I still loved him of course, just in a family way, not in a boyfriend way. And now he's gone. The only person to ever love me is gone." Eunhyuk's voice broke on the last few sentences. I didn't want to make him even more upset, but I had to know more.
 "What do you mean no one ever loved you? What about your parents?"
 "Ha! My parents. What parents? I had two drunkards who left me at home for 18 hours alone, and then when they finally get too drunk and die, all they give me is money. People always look at me and say 'Damn, that guy could buy the world if he wanted to. Who wouldn't want to be him?' Well I'll tell you who. Me! You can buy all you've ever wanted, sports cars, diamonds, gold, but don't you dare think for even a second that all that could fill an empty heart! Believe me, I've tried! If it were possible, I would know, look at my house. It's a work of art that I have spent years perfecting, thinking that if I just add this, or change that, I'll be happy. Well I'm not! I may have an amazing house, but I will never have a home!" Eunhyuk was screaming and struggling for air by the end of his speech. His face was red, his jaw was clenched, and his body was phsyically shaking with anger. I stood speechless infront of him, tears streaming down my face rapidly for grief for him.
 "Oh, Eunhyuk," I tried to come up with something to make him feel better, but I just didn't know how to possibly sum up everything into one sentence. All I could do was stand there and hold him as he cried loudly into my shoulder. His knees went out from underneath him and I gently brought us down to kneel on the ground. I wrapped my arms tightly around him as he bawled, clinging to me like I was his last hope. Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes turned into an hour of Eunhyuk crying hard against me, until finally, he pulled away, his eyes bloodshot, his face red and wet, and his hair messed up. I held him by the shoulders and made him look at me.
 "Look, Eunhyuk, it doesn't have to be like this. I don't care how hard it is, how long it takes, I am getting you back your best friend. I'll do anything. I just want to see you smile like you did when you were with Donghae again. I promise you, by the time your concussion is healed, you will have your best friend back."