Chapter 20

The devil inside
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

No matter how much the conversation with Sehun cheered me up, my joy would never get past the confusion and sorrow I felt whenever the fight I had with ‘my friend’ would cross my mind. I still couldn’t get the reason that made her go berserk on me from one day to the following one; don’t get me wrong, being my everlasting aggressive and revolting self I was batt mad at her; one does not slap Kim Yuri and go away with no penalty, but she was my friend, a female friend, and having a friend like her–having any friend is a really important and rare thing for me. Her incoherent speech got me realizing that she didn’t tell me anything about why she was–and I say it between quotes– “mad”, because I did nothing bad as far as I could remember.

 

 

Friday was really awkward, especially at lunch time. I was having fun with the boys when Namji came. The moment our eyes met, she made some irrelevant excuse about having some urgent matters to attend to and left. Sehun noticed the tension and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, probably as confused as I was.

 

“Is she okay?” Kyungsoo questioned out of the blue as he nibbled on his sandwich.

“She looks mad” Chanyeol said, “looks like somebody pissed in her cereals” he side-eyed Kai whose hand stopped in mid-air, his fork hovering by his mouth, lettuce falling from it.

“What?”

“Come on, you know what” Chnayeol set his tray aside, “you were the last person who spoke to her yesterday–”

“What do you mean?”

“What if you had said something that made her angry?”

“What the hell man?! What happens between her and I is none of your business!”

 

Things were starting to boil and heads were turning to our direction, some annoyed, some excited to see the fight that was about to take place, something I hoped wouldn’t happen. Kyungsoo tried to calm them down, but the two males were already on their feet.

“What’s in it to you?! We could’ve spoken about the weather and you would still blame me for it. If you’re that concerned, then why don’t you go and ask her instead of making ty assumptions?” the olive-skinned guy looked like he was about to launch forward, and Chanyeol nearly the same, that’s why Sehun hurried and put himself between them.

“I saw her yesterday! She was crying alright, and that happened right after you guys were together, and she left once she noticed you’re here!”

“Okay, cut the crap, we were just hanging around and I was telling her that–” Kai stopped talking all of a sudden, taken aback for a moment before he looked at me, fixing me with his gaze and breathing slowly, then he bolted from his spot, running out of the canteen and leaving everybody baffled.

 

“Chanyeol what the heck man?!” Kyungsoo exclaimed with a frown, and the tall male sat back in his seat with his shoulders hunched forward, and I could swear he looked like a sad puppy, except for his size, ofcourse.

“Don’t get me wrong; it’s the third time I’d seen her crying these past couple of weeks, and it always had something to do with him. She’s my friend; we practically know each other since the third grade, it’s normal to react like that”

The table went silent after his words.

 

“Maybe he hurt her unintentionally, you know how he can be an obnoxious most of the time” Sehun said after a beat, “I mean, she likes him–”

“Yah!” I subconsciously wacked his arm “that was supposed to be a secret” I hissed.

The three of them regarded me like I had said the most stupid thing on earth, but then it occurred to me that maybe everybody knew, maybe only I was stupid after all.

“It’s obvious that she does” Kyungsoo said, “I don’t think she takes our presence in consideration when she stares at him like some obsessed fan”

Silence fell upon us all and we resumed eating halfheartedly without a sound as each one of us four was deep in thoughts.

 

 

By fifteen past six all the seats were taken in the gym; students from SH were occupying the whole left side, while the YG students were busying the left side of the grand place. Players from both teams were already in their outfits, warming up for the last few minutes before the game.

As Kyungsoo and I sat in the front row, we were able to notice the tension that was emitting from the three males; Chanyeol was growling at Kai, and the latter was ignoring him, fixing Sehun with his gaze as both males were having what seemed to be like a staring contest. Only the voice of the coach was able to snap them back into the game.

 

“They don’t look okay, I hope that won’t affect their game” Kyungsoo said as he clamped his teeth over his lower lip, looking as anxious as I was. It was probably true; the three of them were invincible when they played as one, but now that the situation on the private side was on thin ice, we were hoping that cooler heads will prevail and soon everything would calm down.

Soon enough the game started and everybody were surprised by the high-paced play; it was like the two teams were beating each other without bothering to guard, the defense was doing everything it can, but both teams’ offenses were too strong. Chanyeol, Kai, and Sehun were playing without passing to each other, using the other two players as a link between them. The agitation in their movements was provoking a sense of cautiousness that caught the YG coach off guard, for he called for a time-out after 12 minutes. There was a three points’ gap between the two scores, and that was enough for coach Yang to scold his players, especially the trio since they weren’t cooperating with each other.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter