Chapter 11

The devil inside
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

so very immensly and genuinly sorry for not updating in a month, i don't know what to say. I just hope you won't unsubscribe and leave some comments, and please do upvote. Here's a double update :)

______________________________________________________________________

 

I was never a good actor, and it always took me a huge effort to lie to people or to fake dumb and actually look dumb, which would end either by me escaping the jaws of death, or, in the worst case, getting busted. This time, I crossed my fingers behind my back and prayed the lord that this lie would actually work on someone as cunning as Sekyung.

 

The girl looked perplexed for a moment before I stepped in; saving both our asses “She’s here to visit me duh!”

“She’s not here to visit you, so stop lying” the Lippy Virago accused me of lying. I mentally gasped dramatically because I wasn’t lying, I was helping people.

“What are you talking about? She’s my friend; I’ve known her since I came to live in Seoul”

“And how did you two meet, if I may ask?”

“Although it’s none of your concern, Seulki works in a coffee shop, we met there” I said, “Seriously, what’s wrong with you? Can’t I have my friends coming to check on me?! You’re not even my mother to begin with”

She narrowed her eyes. It seemed that Sekyung bought the faking dumb thing, until she focused her attention on the girl.

“I will take this as a coincidence. If I happen to see you here again, your mother will loose her job as the housekeeper of this residence” she threatened the youngster with piercing eyes. Act. Act. Act.

“Oh! Your mother is the housekeeper?!” I tried to sound as awed as possible.

“Sorry about that, I somehow forgot to tell you” Seulki played along, which pushed the suspicions away from us.

Sekyung gave us a solemn look before walking to her daughter’s room, and once she was out of sight, I let out a relived exhale before disappearing behind the door of my room.

 

“That was close” I wiped some imaginary sweat off of my forehead, “We nailed it girl, come on, gimme a high five” we high-fived each other and giggled like lunatics.

It was after twenty minutes that her mother knocked the door; she looked like she was about to have a coronary. Excusing myself, I left the room and hid in the bathroom, giving the two females some time to catch up.

---

Friday was freezing cold, which was uncomfortable because I hated wearing socks while walking around in the house.

I was feeling well, well enough to go to school, but I took the chance to laze around in my room, and by laze around I meant eating chocolate bars while checking the net, sprawled on my bed and looking like I’m about to gain ten pounds.

I was scrolling down the school’s website—which was created by the Nerd Club, apparently—when my eyes squinted at the bold title writing with bright red: ‘Seoul High first qualifying round for this season; don’t miss it!’

 

I almost had forgotten the game Chanyeol practically begged me to attend; it would be great to go so I can unleash my inner seasang fan and scream all I want while cheering for my team—No, I’d never do such thing and ruin my image of a distant, cold-hearted snarky .

 

After lunch, I was surprised by the sight of my father stepping out of his car. My father’s job was always difficult to understand from my perspective; after he resigned from his job as the account manager of a Korean/Swedish trading company, he established a new career as the business development manager at his friend’s newly founded enterprise, therefore his schedule became hectic and he almost couldn’t find time to spend with his family. However, he had been home at noon the day before and that day.

“Hi dad” I spoke with a full mouth, cookies’ crumbs threatening to fall from the corner of my mouth. He sent me a playful glare before he opened his arms wide for me, asking for a hug, and I complied. I loved my father; first, he was nice and easy going, which meant he would reprimand the out of me only if I get knocked up with somebody’s child, and second, my father was an all-rounder; you can engage him in any conversation with any topic and you’d be surprised of how much he knows about it. He wasn’t like that before though; before the divorce, my father was a mercurial man, his mood swings were frequent and hard to handle, and the way my mother mirrored his acts only made the situation worse. Regardless of the fact that it maybe Sekyung who changed him, or the divorce itself, I was glad he changed for the better.

 

“Hi to you too” he wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked to the kitchen, “You’re still sick?”

“Not really, but I’d rather stay at home than faint in school” it seemed like he could read behind my lie, for he sent me a knowing look and chuckled.

“Why aren’t you at work?”

“I managed to get some free time in this very crowded week” he sighed, “Wanna do something together?”

 

His ‘Something Together’ turned out to be cleaning the garage. The garage was large and had too many stuff; from old books to broken stereos and whatnot.

“Actually, you won’t see me around during the weekend”

“Why?”

“I have a trip to Jeju with my colleagues” I nodded. “So what did Sekyung tell you?” he asked as he removed an overused surfing board to the side.

“Nothing precise, but she sent a blood sample to the lab, we’ll find out this afternoon when she brings the results” he nodded. “How’s work?”

“Chaotic; the enterprise is getting bigger and we need more employees”

“I’ll study hard and work for you then” he laughed as I handed him a box full of old cassette-videos.

“In exchange, how’s school?”

“Good, not so great, I’m keeping up”

“Did you make friends?” he asked as he swept the floor, and I started gushing about the gang and how it felt good to be around them, describing each one of them excitedly.

“Is your boyfriend among them?”

“Oh my god dad! This trick is as old as my diapers and is embarrassing!” I admonished him with flushed cheeks, and I couldn’t help but think about one name.

“What? I just want to know if he’s nice to you or not, so I can beat the daylights out of him”

“Oh lord, you don’t have to go all ‘my-daughter-is-innocent-and-I-have-to-protect-her’ on me, and no, I don’t have a boyfriend”

“What about Baekhyun?”

“Dad, how many times do I have to tell you? Baekhyun is like an overprotective brother from another mother” I said, “and that’s why I don’t have any boyfriend”

---

It was six o’clock. I was wearing my clothes after a quick shower I had to get so I could erase any trace of grossness; the work in the garage the whole afternoon made me smell like a rotten dead cat.

My favorite tight jeans were my first choice, with a grey cable knit sweater and a black jacket on top. I dried my hair thoroughly before combing it into a ponytail.

My nightstand clock showed that it was 6:20, which meant that the game almost started, and that I was going to miss the beginning. I hurriedly rushed downstairs, slipping my converse in the fastest way I could.

 

“Where are you going?” my father popped out of nowhere

“Our school’s basketball team’s first qualifying game” I answered rapidly, “See y—”

“No, no, no” my father dragged me by the arm and led me to the living room, “you’re not going anywhere until Sekyung brings the results with her”

“Dad, if she’s not going to ring the bell like right now then I’m not going to wait” I attempted to walk out but failed when my father brought me to the couch.

“Yuri, your health is more important than any g—”

 

“I’m home!” the awfully cheerful and familiar voice of a maleficent female chirped in the hallway. I rolled my eyes and breathed exaggeratedly through my nose, showing how unpleased I was by her presence in the living room. She greeted my father with a hug, which totally made me go ballistic inwardly; he is my father, not hers, nobody hugs my father like that.

Minah twisted when she saw me, but her nasty face turned into an utterly joyful one when she was telling dad how good she did in that dancing audition they held at her school; she looked so happy that I thought the girl was practically ting rainbows in her pants. I thanked the lord every single day that I didn’t enroll in the same school at hers; I was at Seoul High, while she was in Yang Gangnam High, or YG high as they call it.

 

“Girls, let’s watch a movie together as we wait for the doctor to come” my father suggested enthusiastically. There goes the first half-time of the game.   

 

 Sehun’s pov:

 

I had arrived only five minutes before the game begun. I’d get usually worried about the coach’s reaction when I come late, because I needed time to warm-up, but as I skipped the last period and spent it in the streets, I came back to school running.

The bleachers were full of students from our school and the other, next to the replacement benches Kai and Chanyeol were bent double, they’re hands reaching their feet; I could hear their conversation as I stood right behind them:

 

“Where the hell is that asshat anyway?”

“He’s probably snoring into the mattress”

“Perhaps he’s screwing around with some chick from the other school”

“Or maybe he’s wanking in the boys’ restroom”

“Or he’s—”

 

Their ridiculous—not to mention outrageous—assumptions were cut short after I kicked both their asses, literally.

They yelped like girls before clearing their throats and barking at me “Hey!” Chanyeol snarled as he rubbed his aching .

“Yeah! HEY!” Kai joined the protestation, “What was that for?!”

“That’s for letting your mouth run like a toothless sixty-something-years-old hag”

“Dude what the are you ev—”

 

“Ladies!” the coach, a bald and mercurial forty years old man, shouted with his thunder-like voice, ordering us to gather around him.

“Our goal is the finals, so this should be a piece of cake for you” he said, “smash those brats on the field” those few words were enough to set our willpower on fire, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter