The Next Contestant...

Awkward Adventures

“And next contestant is…Moon Jongup.” The MC stared into the crowd, pausing to read his card before saying Jongup’s name. With a dramatic wave he exited the stage as the curtains were drawn.

A dark, unlit stage was revealed, the shadow of a door frame was the only thing even slightly visible. After a few seconds the sound of a bass begun slow and quiet and the lights were brought up halfway to reveal a silhouette. He stood in the centre of the frame, head bowed and hands gripping the edge of the wood.

A violin was introduced and the silhouette began to move. The bass thumped through the speakers, the violin heightening the deep, sombre mood of the dance. His body moved like liquid, slow and sorrowful. His body followed around the frame; the emotion of the music flowed through his muscles and into the crowd. As he moved across the stage, pushing the frame behind the side curtains, the lights were brought up again.

I could see he was dressed in loose pants and a tight singlet. The lights washed him in a mix of reds and purples. The mood turned to anger. The track brought in drums that slowly built their pace until it matched the dancer’s. The violin was drowned out and ceased.

His body became striking and powerful. His body was shimmering, the strength of his dance making him sweat, only adding to the scene. I could see his face as his hand stand brought him to the edge of the stage. His face was contorted into a snarl; the dance had become a part of him. He swung his legs down and around his body, catching himself on his feet and performing a rapid series of moves that impressed the crowd.

The lighting changed again, a mix of blues and greens, and he began to step back slowly with big, deliberate movements. The drums quietened to a slow beat, like the beat of my heart as I watched him in anticipation. In place of the violin, a melody was formed by a flute and piccolo duet.

The movements of his body brought up a scene of redemption. His tendons rippled into submission with the slowing pace. The mood was lifted but reverent.

It seemed to turn instantly, his face became contorted again. His moves became rapid and the stage was filled with red. The anger of the previous scene came back along with the frame. The audience was in awe at the change of emotion.

The only light on the stage was now a single a red beam shining onto his back. His body looped around the frame, settling back into the centre. His dance was as if it was trapped within the frame. The music was now a concerto of flute, drums, bass and piano, each instrument dancing and rushing as if away from some deadly .

The speed of the music was signalling the end of the performance. The silhouette stopped, feet spread to the edges of the frame. He brought his hand to his head, the pointer and middle finger pressed to his temple. A great boom shocked the crowd at the same time as the silhouette triggered his thumb and collapsed. Everything stopped.

The curtains were drawn and the audience erupted immediately.